Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Belgo Anise Imperial Russian StoutBelgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 05-23-2011

4.24/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Stone Belgo Anise RIS 2011
Slick black pour, rich cappuccino head of two finger widths. Body near solid black. Now when I hold my pint to some light i see on the edge of the inside of the glass some tan floating objects, and even more sitting on the bottom as I lift up the glass and look underneath, these objects look like large sawdust chunks. Interesting. No cork involved here. Part of Stone's craft I suppose.
Smells nice with slight anise and powdery milk chocolate. Muted scent, but nice what's there.
This tastes a little nicer than I remember the first and only other time I tried it, and it just must be the age i put on this one (2 yrs.). Milk chocolate smoothness, and the anise seems more tame and lends a creamy note somehow, with the anise more resembling now a syrupy bite reminding me of Bosco syrup as if I'm tasting it in an egg cream. I didnt expect to like it this much now, given my prior mediocre thoughts on the initial taste of once having it fresh years past. As it warms i pick up more licorice, and I'm one who does like licorice. Maybe that factor is the dividing line between promoters & detractors of Stone's BARIS, who knows. More warming and here comes the Sambuca sensation, but althewhile this feels creamy and smooth. There is a lingering burning sensation in my mouth after the taste, somewhat odd and numbing, but I'll chalk it up to the anise. I'm sure not for everyone, but yes for me and only with some age.

4.06/5  rDev +16%

22 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter (so glad to find this one)

A: Pitch black all the way through with a nice slightly mocha head that is about 1 finger thick but disappears pretty quickly. Also, it pours with a lot of tiny bubbles that stick to the sides of the glass.

S: Reminds me of the Belgian Yeti. It is quite sweet with just a hint of licorice in there (anise) with just a hint of malts. There is a subtle undertone of roasted malts aged on oak as well.

T: Wow, very interesting. This tastes like what I imagine a much better version of the Belgian Yeti would taste like, maybe this is what it would taste like if it had anise in it. Lots of belgian sweetness (like a tripel or quad) with notes of anise. There is quite a lot of oak in there as well. It almost tastes different with each sip. It is a swirl of anise, sweet malts, belgian yeastiness, and a bit of roastiness with oak. No alcohol burn at all. The worse part is definitely the tangy aftertaste but you don't really start to notice it until about halfway through the bottle. It is very belgian and tangy.

M: Quite prickly and coarse. It is a bit syrupy but has a nice level of carbonation that helps out alot.

O: I can see where all of the love it or hate it comes from with this beer. It has a very polarizing flavor profile. I was so surprised to find this so long after it was released (they must have kept like 20 of them in the back for a while). I wonder what this tasted like fresh though.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

1.75/5  rDev -50%

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.