Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Belgo Anise Imperial Russian StoutBelgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 05-23-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 926 | Reviews: 441
2.58/5  rDev -26.3%

22oz bottle into a Goblet glass

Served slightly below room temperature

2011 Odd Year Release

A- Pours pitch black with a 1 finger light brown head that sticks around. Not much head retention but leaves some nice legs on the side of the glass.

S- Smells like root beer. Dark burnt malts with strong anise, fennel, or black licorice. Dark unsweetened chocolate, coffee, slight fruitiness from the yeast, and plenty of fenal alcohol notes. Very unique I'll give it that.

T- The taste is a spitting image of the aroma. Dark burnt malts with an overwhelming black licorice/anise flavor that doesn't blend evenly at all. Behind that is subtle notes of chocolate, coffee, and alcohol.

M- Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation and a nice slightly bitter finish.

Overall you gotta really be into black licorice to drink this beer. Me personally I don't think I'll make it through this glass let alone a whole 22oz bottle. The anise is way to strong and becomes almost gross and unbearable the more you drink it. Sorry Stone but not a big fan of this.

SkÅL!

1.84/5  rDev -47.4%

Vintage 2011, odd year version.

A: Black ale with cherry hedging and excellent clarity. Single finger of light mocha foam falls to a thin sheet of the same. No lacing.

S: ANISE SEED TAKES 90%+ OF THIS AREA. As I really dig deep, I can reach in for some roasted notes, but again, the anise seed is exactly what I'm getting. I expected some of the Belgo yeast to add character here, and maybe it does, but the anise seed is soooo powerful, I can't seem to really enjoy everything this beer could offer. Sometimes, just as I start to smell this, it reminds me of root beer, but then it just becomes overwhelming anise seed without any attempt at balance.

T: Soooo, this is like anise seed tea, carbonated. There are some burnt coffee flavors in here. I'm tasting some of the belgian yeast in the finish, but overall the Anise is just too powerful to really enjoy an entire bomber of this beer. It reminds me of Raki, a turkish liquor that is also really strong in the anise seed flavors, and to be sipped over the course of quite some time (this is also quite thin and refreshing and flat).

M: Thick and creamy feel with lower carbonation and a dry finish. Really a nice combination and the finish allows for resonance. Too bad the resonating flavors are offensive in intensity.

O: This is really disappointing. I think this idea could really be great, but the execution here is a bit monolithic in profile of the flavor. The look and feel are great, but my olfactory and gustatory sensations are offended, this was a drain pour for me.

4.41/5  rDev +26%

Pours a deep brown, almost black with a tight, mocha head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of big anise notes and some underlying oak as well.

Tastes of all of the prescribed ingredients, along with a little something extra. Anise definitely leads, but as I finish my snifter full, I notice the other flavors taking charge. A moderate oak woodiness and vanilla add some complements to anise which lends to way some roasted malt characteristics. Typical roasted malts come in and make this beer recognizable with notes of espresso, semi-sweet chocolate, and brown sugar. On the end there is some nice fruitiness with notes of raisins and black currants.

Mouthfeel is full and has a creamy amount of carbonation.

Overall, this seems like Stone set out to make not necessarily a better RIS, but to make a different one than what they have. I think they succeeded fully in doing this. However, there are some pretty big anise notes that some might feel are overdone, but I don't hence my score. Other than that, this is a fantastic brew and still has some interesting ideas worth tasting for yourself.

1.58/5  rDev -54.9%

Unusual black color in the pour. A nice black with wispy white head.
Rich and dense look as it coats the glass.
Intriguing black legs left on the side of the glass.
Nose is of strong anise and fennel.
Aroma is strong and permeates the palate/
Lush and creamy

Creamy and dense in the mouth
A nice beer but the nose is way too strong of what...?
Keep wanting to sip this to nail down the exact overall taste.
Extremely difficult to stomach much more due to the smell.

Well, that was thoroughly unpleasant. The anise didn't come off well at all and gave the beer an overall funky, restroom kind of note.

3.86/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours an oil slick black body with a very dark brown, mocha colored head that is thick & creamy and really takes its time to give way to the dense, sticky lacing.

Big roasted malt aromas leap from the glass, followed by mocha, and the anise oak chips, which add a touch of spice.

The oak and anise flavors are much more prominent in the flavor making the beer a touch woody and a touch spicy with just a bit of sweetness to offset this. The roasted malt is still present as well and as the beer warms, the finish becomes sweeter.

Medium to full in body with medium carbonation and a thicker, syrupy finish.

It is tough to evaluate this beer in the traditional RIS category, however given what I believe Stone to be aiming for, I think it was a success. The anise oak wood chips certainly show through the traditional Stone RIS. A nice twist that was certainly worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

Picked up a bomber of this one about a week or so back at Argonaut, curious to see how this one differed from the original. Poured a deep oily black color with a thin brown head. Aromas of black licorice, chocolate and vanilla. On the palate, this one was medium bodied, with flavors of oak, anise and black licorice.

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

22 ounce bottle, I let the bottle sit for a half hour after taking it out of the fridge before opening it. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is anise, roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and some root beer. Taste is similar to the aroma. I think the anise flavor is the strongest in this brew, but it doesn't quite overpower the roasted malt, chocolate, molasses and coffee flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. I think it's a good overall brew. But if you don't like anise or licorice, then this beer probably isn't for you.

1.69/5  rDev -51.7%

Split a bottle of this up with some peoples to investigate just what the hell is going on in Escondido. Something in the water, surely.
The Belgo Old Guardian wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't an improvement. I suppose we will see what time will do to that beer. Well, not me, but someone surely bought a case or two and is praying like hell.
Pours dark and thick, a little ruby edge, low carbonation, but otherwise looks like that most reasonable of Stone IRS offerings. An evil twin, perhaps.
A little chocolate and roast, not much hop anywheres. But someone appears to have poured a shot of absynthe into my glass. Licorice as a mofo. This is not going to end well. Not really picking out any "Belgian yeast notes."
This is a pretty gross fennel bomb. How often can you say that a beer is a fennel bomb? I only got about halfway finished with mine before someone through my glass away. I wasn't even mad. Oh well.
Stone, I like a lot of what you do. So why did you do this? Will it age gracefully 5 years from now? Will the licorice blend in, the yeast bring out dark fruit notes that meld with the stout?
Tell me later, I'm not buying one.

1.8/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a pitch black with rubyesque edge translucence. Very short-lived light beige head with no lace.

S: Chocolate, coffee; when cold, I pick up clove or something that must be from the Belgian yeast. I didn't really pay attention to it, so when I revisited the aroma after the beer warmed, it was gone: replaced by strong fennel seed notes. I like anise, but WOW, that's overdone.

T: Clashing combinations of roast and fennel seed: not black licorice, but the after-dinner chew you get at Indian restaurants. Reminds me of Jagermeister, actually. I can't stand that stuff.

M: Thick, chewy body. I can't fault Stone here; the texture is spot on. The finish, however, lingers with an herbal anise flavor that becomes unbearable after less than half the bottle. It just isn't in balance with the low carbonation.

O: I like anise flavors in beer, but the strong, herbal bitterness this contributed made it profoundly unbearable to drink. For the last half of the bomber, I poured in a shot of Elijah Craig bourbon, managing to ruin the bourbon without salvaging the beer. What a waste. I guess I'm not worthy, or something. I wonder if I can return my second bottle. Don't get this.

2.04/5  rDev -41.7%

A: Pours black with two fingers of brown head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Lots of black licorice on the nose. The roasted malts make a weak showing with some sweet chocolate aromas and some smoky aromas on the finish. The aromas just don't mesh well.

T: Holy Licorice Sticks, Batman! Black licorice dominates the flavor. There are some roasted malt flavors at first with a decent smoky kick towards the finish. A somewhat strong alcohol burn is present as well. The aromas didn't really mesh and the flavors don't either. This just tastes like a smoke-infused imperial stout with a shot of Jager in it.

M: Thick body with medium carbonation, the anise gives it a very floral, perfumey quality that makes the body seem a bit lighter.

O: I love Stone, but this beer is awful. I also love black licorice and can enjoy herbal liquors like Jager by themselves . . . but this just does not work. It tastes like licorice, smoke, and booze. I would have liked to tried just their regular IRS brewed with a Belgian yeast, but I can't detect any difference that the yeast makes thanks to the overwhelming anise.

4.46/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from a 2011 bottle into a snifter. Pours pitch black with a very large mocha head. The lace is pretty intricate as well.
I'll smell again when it warms. On a cold pour I get earthy hops, anise and chocolate. As it warms the anise becomes more prevalent with a hint of alcohol.
Bittersweet chocolate are right out front on the taste. A hint of coffee sits on the tongue. The anise gives it an almost smoky taste (or maybe it's just something smoky). Goes down perfect.
If you like licorice, grab a few. Certainly a dessert stout, it is delicious and I'll grab a few more for sure.

4.7/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been looking forward to this seasons IRS. Finally a few bottles popped up in my area, but they were of the Belgo style. I'm excited to see how this one tastes.

A- Thick jet black, tan tight frothy creamy head with clingy lacing. Pours thick as I would expect.

S- The smell of the anise is there, which is great. I hate when beer companies say something is in the beer and you don't taste it. The bottle and name clearly state it will be there and in the smell it is but it isn't overpowering. The chocolate and malts are shining though as well.

T- The flavor of what I would expect with this stout is there. Big bold dark roasty malt favors. Big chocolate taste, with a nice bitterness in the end. The alcohol is there, but very subtle. Man this beer is tasty. Oh and the anise flavor it is there, but it compliments the rest of the flavors nicely and isn't overpowering in the slightest. This is excellent. I will have to grab a few more, and perhaps cellar one.

M- Thick, hearty and chewy. Great balance of carbination and this is tasty.

O- Excellent! I'm glad I snagged this. I also like black licorice.

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

Live review of a 22 oz bottle.
A: Opaque black with a nice solid one-finger head and lacing.
S: Anise and licorice candy is in the forefront. It is very strong. Behind that is a nice abbey bread aroma, molasses and chocolate, and coffee. Nice crisp aroma.
T: Strong dark creamy chocolate, molasses, bitter bite of the licorice candy character, which lingers with a chocolate-covered orange liqueur with a slight wood and whiskey bite. Decent, but a bit strong with the anise.
M: Creamy to a crisp finish with a good carbonation throughout.
O: This isn't usually like me, but I'm going to give the overall rating a lower score than the other categories. I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to try this one again. It's worth trying, but that's about it. Get yourself the original Imperial Russian Stout instead.

4.36/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick, opaque consistency. There was a big, creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing. An great-looking beer.

S: Not surprisingly, the anise was front and center in the smell, along with some chocolate, malt, and coffee.

T: Like the smell, the anise was a dominant force, though this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Also had traces of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and a little hops in the finish. Not your typical stout flavor, but very tasty.

M: A lot of carbonation and a typically slick finish. Full-bodied.

O: Because this beer doesn't conform to typical stout norms, some people won't like it. I think the anise is an interesting and creative addition to the style.

2.54/5  rDev -27.4%

Served in a Chimay goblet, split two ways with my dad for Father's Day

A = Exactly what I expected: jet black, black as night, with 2 fingers of dark chocolate head

S = Blast of licorice/anise, which overpowers the coffee, chocolate, and alcohol that follow

T = Again, the anise overpowers everything else, hints of chocolate, malt, coffee, and alcohol seems to be amplified by the anise

M = Thinner than anticipated, very strong alcohol

D = I was quite disappointed by this offering, as the regular IRS from Stone is one of my top 3 beers of all time - maybe this is why I was disappointed, more looking for the old standard and not something that is, in my opinion, a completely different beer. That being said, even after I step back and consider it a completely different beer, I was not impressed and had a difficult time even finishing half the bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

22oz bottle served in a snifter.
2011 vintage.

pours your standard R/IS jet black tone while yielding about a 1" mocha-colored head. decent retention and lacing. nice looking beer, but so are countless others in its style.

nose packs a big wallop of black licorice. secondary notes of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee, but boy does that anise dominate. not my cup of tea, but it's not terrible.

taste follows the aroma. unfortunately. just an anise bomb. the other characters are there in the background but relegated to second fiddle. disappointing, as i had high hopes for this one.

decent, medium-full bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, not one i appreciated. not a drainpour, i just think the anise was overdone; some may appreciate it, but it's not for me - i'll be sticking to the regular IRS.

4.22/5  rDev +20.6%

Stone bomber, 2011 "odd year" offering. Typical IRS presentation, thick mocha head stays for a good long while. Tiny bubble sheen, scattered lacing.

Complex nose, chocolate, smokey burnt malts, licorish, dark fruits.

Flavorful, complex, well crafted, alot going on here. Follows the theme started by the nose, more smoke, chocolate, licorish, figs, a late minty note, dry and clean in the finish. Delicious stout, Belgian twist adds to the complexity and interest. Smooth and tasty on the tongue. Go get some of this interesting brew, would love to try it with a charred steak or with a fruity chocolate dessert....c'mon people..the numbers for the reviews of this one are way out of whack

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

A-Pours a very dark brown with a one finger mocha colored head that has good retention and leaves wisps of lace as you drink.

S-Smells like I've opened a package of black licorice. Strong anise aromas arise from the tulip and punch me in the nose. An underlying oakiness is there as well along with dark fruit, charred malt and hints of chocolate.

T-The anise is once again up front and stays throughout. Its a tad too much, IMO, as the anise is pummeling the wonderful flavors underneath and not letting them have their say. I can pick up some soft undertones of the oak, a slight earthiness (I presume from the Belgian yeast), hints of charred malt and dark fruit. I can't pick up the chocolate from the nose here.

M-Seems a tad thinner than the "classic" recipe, but maybe its just me. Not quite full bodied, medium carbonation, lush and chewy.

O-A nice variation on one of my all time faves. But if I have to choose between this or the "classic" I'll take the "classic" every time. But this is still a quality brew.

3.36/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a thick pitch black with a grayish mocha colored head that rises up a few inches in my Duvel tulip glass, sticks around forever, and laces very well.

anise is the first thing to hit the nostrils. its not similar to black licorice or jagermeister, but more traditional anisette that would be found in traditional Italian pizzelle cookies. behind the anise, there is some coffee, some chocolate, but thats about it. smells like coffee with white Sambuca added.

anise again dominates, but once the palate adjusts, the stout qualities and belgian yeast are detected. some fruitiness and spice from the belgian yeast and some roasted malts are content to stay behind the anise. not being a huge fan of anise, I wish they toned it down a bit.

medium to heavy bodied with soft carbonation and a distinctly anise aftertaste.

its just there from beginning to end. I wish it was more of an accent rather than the dominant quality. I can see some people loving this. as for me, I'm glad to have tried it. Its definitely unique, just doesn't work overly well for me.

4.27/5  rDev +22%

This is the beer that started it all for me. That first beer that I reviewed: Stone Imperial Russian Stout. It was so good that it literally compelled me to write something about it. How does it get any better than that? How about…anise oak chips and Belgian yeast? Yep, that’ll do it. It’s really hard to not over-hype this in my mind’s eye, with the nostalgia and all, but I’m trying my hardest. So, like always, here’s an objective review for a beer that may or may not rock my world. Cheers!

A: Black as night, though not as thick around the top – there’s some light shining through in places. It’s done well; it doesn’t look too syrupy. The head is bold and crisp, receding to leave random hints of dark brown around the edge of the glass in a slight ring. Lacing is thin but creamy, adding a pronounced sheet of film as I twirl the glass. Wonderfully dark with some light, lively tendencies to balance.

S: Wow; I was definitely not expecting a nose this oaky. The woodiness is so strong that it reminds me of a nice leather jacket or a brand new cigar humidor – very, very pleasant. Coffee is next, providing a nice bitter change of pace, followed soon by familiar chocolate and heavily-kilned malts. There’s just that slightest hint of the alcohol and Belgian yeast at the finish, combining for earthy, estery, and peppery aromas. A very well-rounded, delectable nose, with some of those promised sprinkles of anise in the background. I especially love the spirit that wood aging brings.

T: Big peppery booze out the gates – it rouses the taste buds and warms all the way down. The anise is huge, too - almost too overpowering at times. The aged wood/leathery tastes are there for the entire ride, no doubt about that, but they are most prevalent right after this spicy start. A savory transition, indeed. The palate expands to fit in roasted coffee beans and some incredibly tart hops, seeming to appear in just the right place. The bitters overwhelm the biggest part of the oak aging just as it’s about to show signs of syrupy over-saturation. Perfect execution. Some sweet chocolate and toffee tastes are prevalent in a mixed sort of way, but they make their counterpoints nonetheless. As for the special Belgian yeast strain: well, it’s mild. It doesn’t pack the punch that the yeasts of the classic Belgian ales do, but that’s not to say that it doesn’t deliver at all. The medicinal, estery aspects of Belgian yeast make a slight appearance near the finish, providing a light pick-me-up in a mostly acidic manner. Sweeter hints like rose, clove, banana, and bubblegum arrive sporadically throughout. Just because it isn’t perfect, though, doesn’t mean that it isn’t great. I’m still glad they decided to make this a Belgo-Anise stout instead of just an Anise one; it certainly adds depth, even if it is only slight.

M: Light on the tongue, especially when considering its 10.5% ABV. Like most high alcohol Stone Brews, though, it kicks back as easy as soda. Very drinkable, though it sacrifices a certain fullness for being so easy. I love smooth-drinking beers, but sometimes thickness is the more appropriate feel.

O: This is an incredible beer. I love it in so many ways. The nose, the boozy warmth, the deep taste profiles – it’s all good. Plus, it was nice to see a brewer tackle a special edition stout other than vanilla or just barrel-aged. High standards and forward thinking are the things that make me most proud to be a Stone lover. But for this beer in particular: am I in love the way I was with their original Imperial Russian Stout? No. To be honest, I’ll take an original IRS over this in a majority of situations. But I will say this: if the plan was to revolutionize one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts out there, I think Stone has the right idea.

3.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

578th Review on BA
Bottle to snifter
22 oz

Purchased at Bevmo Chino Hills, served at 57 F

App- This looks like the original RIS and contained a huge three finger head. Not much in the way of cling. Very khaki in color and very bubbly.

Smell- It's a soft aromatic beer which I was not expecting. The anise and the oak are quite prevalent but that's about it. The toasty roasted malts aren't there. More one sided than anything.

Taste- For the uniqueness of this beer I was expecting to have a face of WTF did I just drink. I had the '11 RIS the other night and it was quite tasty. This seems to be a bit of a base stout with some pepper notes and some sweetness.

Mouth- I like the feel of the pepper, sweet and bubbly. It's medium bodied and a bit higher in carbonation. The bubbles dance and it's quite nice.

Drink- It's an oddity for sure. The flavors are balanced and unique. For every other year this is a nice break from the ordinary. I'll have it again in 2013.

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

Stone Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout 2011 odd year release!
Poured into a palm sized snifter.
Appearance: Dark, almost impenetrable by light. Like the classic Stone IRS the head is kaki colored, soapy, thin, and dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma: Burnt malt, dark fruits, coffee, and a good amount of Anise. I get a pleasant bready note as well I am not sure if that is because of the anise, the Belgian Yeast, or a combination of the two.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied to full. This beer feels a lot like a milk stout its quite velvety but not thick.

Taste: Obviously this is very reminiscent of the original Stone IRS. This beer is also similar to the Old Rasputin. This odd year release, however, is unique because of its significant anise flavor. Some will find the first impression to be unpleasant or weird. I think it’s great. The finish is long and bitter much more so than the original IRS. It almost feels like eating a black licorice stick, it’s a bit minty but pleasant!

Overall: This beer gets a lot of bad rep due to the anise notes. It is not nearly as strong as some have made it seem. Sure the anise is present but it is not cloying. Give this beer one or a few years and the anise will serve as complementary note!

A - Pours a dark jet black color with a finger of frothy tan-brown head. The head hangs around for quite a while leaving behind some thick lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts and potent anise. There is also some oak and Belgian yeast in the background as well.

T - Starts off with a mix of anise and roasted chocolate malts. The anise is pretty potent. Through the middle, a mix of some oak and vanilla as well as a bit of the Belgian yeast flavor. The finish is a mix of all of the mentioned flavors with the addition of a bit of booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and fairly creamy. The oak and the booze in the finish warm the mouth alongside anise flavor lingering.

D - Pretty drinkable. The balance is not quite perfect here. The anise feels a bit too strong and the oak a bit too weak, and the Belgian yeast does not seem to make all that much of a difference.

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%

Served in a tulip.

Pours black with a half finger tan head, as to be expected. Nothing groundbreaking here, but some nice lacing appears after several sips.

A deep whiff imparts dark malt, coffee, chocolate, but suspiciously lacks anise. Looking forward to the surprise in the taste.

Ah yes, there it is. I'm disappointed by other reviewers' reports of overt anise flavor in this brew, as I feel it blends quite nicely. Sweet dark malt, chocolate and a decent amount of licorice round out the flavor. Absent is any hint of Belgian yeast. Did I miss something?

Nothing to balk at here, this is the Stone RIS that you know and love with a good, spicy kick to it. This beer won't break the bank, so definitely worth checking out.

4.4/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottom line - tastes like black licorice dissolved in a good milk stout. If you like black licorice and stout, you might like this beer a lot. I do.

22 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Inky dark, good head if you let it develop. Licorice dominates the aroma and the aftertaste, but taste is of a robust but not bitter stout. Roasted but not smoky, great full mouthfeel. Then after a while the licorice reasserts itself.

I normally don't like non-beer tastes in beer (fruits, bourbon, caramel, maple), but I find the anise to be an exception, at least for me.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.