Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
to view more.
Ratings: 1,330 | Reviews: 510
4.04/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

2015 run. Very good IPA taste with just a bit of tea lingering in the back of mouth and lingering in the nose with spicy hops. Wish the tea was more fragrant but it's Stone so I expect extremely hopped flavor

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The IPA taste overpowers any hint of green tea.

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: The beer is an opaque almost cream colored light orange. A white head recedes to a fine wisp while world map lacing remains on the glass.

Aroma: First impression is of a lot of spices and cedar. A very earthy, papery green tea element emerges underneath the spiciness.

Taste: Like the aroma, a good amount of peppery spice hits the taste buds first before getting to the main idea: green tea. Slightly bitter green tea comes out from the spices just like in the aroma. It adds some papery dryness to the overall taste. The finish is slightly spicy.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: This is an interesting brew. There's more spiciness than I expected and the green tea is definitely covered by the spiciness of the hops but that's not a bad thing, it has some complexity and balance.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours with a small head. Appears cloudy. Smells like tea and booze. Tastes very boozy, bitter, peppery with an aftertaste of green tea. Seemed to notice the green tea the further I got into it. Had a sample of this on tap at Extreme Beer Fest in Boston and it was incredible. I was super eager to try it again, but it was a little lacking compared to how I remembered it. Not bad, but short of expectation. I couldn't find a date on the bottle so I'm not sure if the batch was simply not quite as fresh. Overall - If you're a Stone fan, an IPA fan, or a green tea fan, it's worth looking into. I'll be interested in trying it again if I come across a fresh bottle.

3.96/5  rDev +1%

Consumed 5/10/15

A: Remarkably, memorably hazy - medium orange with some tangerine and honey highlights - small, white head that fades to a few wisps, leaves some nice spots of lacing

S: Bright citrus and an undercurrent of green tea - orange and grapefruit flesh, juice - tropical aromas, mostly melon - spicy, grassy, lightly herbal green tea, not potent (maybe even possible to miss if I weren't looking for it) but definitely there - some sweetness from the pale malt base

T: Citrus with a spot of tea - big, juicy orange, grapefruit juice, flesh, rind, and some pith - tropical notes come next, mostly melon, cantaloupe - moderate bitterness with some lingering pith and herbal bitterness - green tea is somewhat of an aftertaste, with some herbal, grassy, spicy tea flavors - adds the bitterness - moderate bitterness overall, with some lingering pith and herbal tea bitterness - pale malts, above-average sweetness (which would usually result in me giving this a mediocre score), but it works with the citrus and tea flavors - alcohol is not as obvious as it should be

M: Medium body, very smooth, low carbonation, decent finish with some lingering bitterness and booze

O: I want the apple drink. It's green!

I think Stone should continue experimenting with combining tea flavors with their beers. I actually liked the Chai IRS, and I'm glad I finally had a chance to try this after missing it in 2011. If you hate green tea, you're going to hate this, but otherwise it's an interesting experiment.

Out of the box and delicious

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%

I enjoyed this beer. After pouring it I let it warm up a few minutes at room temperature, this brought out the green tea taste, which was well balanced with the rest of the brew. Bitterness wasn't as strong as compared to their other IPA's, but still a good beer. Definitely try it out!

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

BOTTLE: 1 pint 6 fl oz. Fantastic screen-print label. Branded black pry-off cap. Stone has the best marketing in the business, no doubt. Let's see if this time the beer is actually up to par...

10.1% ABV. 2015 vintage (i.e. "2nd Edition").

Served cold into a pilsner glass. Expectations are above average seeing as it's a collaboration Stone beer (Stone's collaborations tend to be better than their own offerings, which I think says a lot about Stone). Reviewed live as an IPA per the label.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: ~3 inches wide. Off-white colour. Creamy enough. Could be softer. Average thickness. Decent consistency and complexion. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

Retention is superb for the high ABV - ~8 minutes.

BODY: Hazy murky yellow-copper with orange hues. Rather dull, lacking vibrance. Not the clean filtered appearance you'd expect of a good IPA.

Appears well-carbonated. It's decent looking for a beer in its style, but lacks any unique or special attributes. I worry it'll be astringent...

AROMA: Has an assertive hop profile with notes of overripe fruit (including melon, mango, and tangerine), honeyed yogurt (especially on the back-end), floral hops, and basil herb. Low in hop oils, not resinous at all, and by no means piney. The yogurty aspect of the hop profile is somewhat unique. The pale malt sweetness seems near ideal for an IPA, never coming off cloying yet still managing to quell any hop bitterness.

To be honest, I have trouble finding the green tea notes, and would be surprised if anyone could readily find them in a blind tasting of this beer. I count this as a blessing, as there're no indicators of tea-like astringency, and the green tea is subtle if anything, blending in with the basil. As it warms, the green tea does emerge a bit more, but fits in with the melon fruit from the hops. Maybe this isn't going to be the gimmick beer one may have expected...

TASTE: Boy, the hop profile featured in the taste is far less artfully executed and subtle than the aroma suggested. The overripe fruit (mostly melon, with some vague tropical notes) delivers some bold hop bitterness that goes largely unbalanced by the pale malt sweetness, fundamentally throwing off the key hop/malt balance. The interesting yogurty character of the Helga hops is nicely showcased, but just doesn't feel seamlessly integrated or well-executed here. Some tea-like astringency is noticeable, quashing any subtly the basil might have offered but bringing little to the table in terms of flavour; this has none of the good aspects of green tea but most of the bad. Minor supplemental floral hops fill it out a bit.

There's no fresh citrus, juicy fruit, resins, oils, pine, etc. All things considered, the hop profile is a bit of a let-down, and it doesn't harmonize well with the green tea at all.

It's not as aggressive or hop-forward as most of Stone's IPAs, but the hop profile is still off the mark. At least it's not too caramalt-heavy; I'm glad pale malts provide the bulk of the sweetness. Alcohol is decently disguised, but the 10.1% is still somewhat noticeable. Why skew that high in terms of alcohol?

Average depth, duration, intensity, and amplitude of flavour. It has an okay balance overall, and a loose cohesion. Not a gestalt beer, but it boasts enough complexity to keep things interesting. I applaud the experimentation, but this just doesn't come together quite like it should.

TEXTURE: Full-bodied, with assertive overcarbonation and far too much heft & weight on the palate, lending it a heavy overbearing presence on the palate that keeps it from feeling refreshing, mellow, or light. It's smooth and wet, but doesn't go down real easy on account of its booziness. The light astringency of the tea is fairly disguised by the hints of hop oil running throughout.

Not a scratchy, harsh, gushed, or rough beer.

This texture doesn't elevate the beer as a whole. There's no harmony of mouthfeel to taste here, but the former doesn't sabotage the latter.

OVERALL: Not the gimmicky beer it could be, but nevertheless problematic. This IPA suffers from an unnecessarily high ABV coupled with an underwhelming hop profile and a surprising absence of green tea flavour. I do like the yogurt note, but otherwise this is a forgettable beer in its style with a fundamental imbalance. I wouldn't buy it again, and it will fail to impress the discerning drinker, but Stone has done worse. Not the most drinkable IPA out there, but I'll finish it with some effort.

High C (2.99)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Good
Green tea taste may distract
But excellent IPA

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Maybe it's just me, but the green tea flavors do not meld at all with the IPA. Was a mess of a beer, in my opinion.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Sweet, ripe banana, sweet orange, strong alcohol, medium body and carbonation.

4.79/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours out a hazy apricot body with a foamed head. Smells of tropical fruit, anise, pineapple hops with a vegetal, sweet underlying green tea element. Tastes of pale, lightly toasty malts and tropical fruit from the hops. Sweet Japanese tea leaf comes in stronger than I'd expected. Vegetal with notes of vanilla and algae. Tea goes toe to toe with the hops. Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Excellent.

2.41/5  rDev -38.5%

One of the worst beer I have ever tasted.

Green tea wasn't the most pronounced flavor, more in the background. Also had a metallic aftertaste for me. Overall very enjoyable, however the hype had me thinking it might be better than it was. I would love to see this come back as a seasonal six pack someday!

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I found this to be a strong tasty ipa. Really enjoyed it. 10+ ABV is efficient!

4.82/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

smells like green tea, with a hoppy but then green tea finish. one of my new favorite double ipas, its very smooth and refreshing

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Light tasting and refreshing. Sweet finish.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Deep orange with a big white head and sticky lacing. Green tea, nectarines, oranges, lemon zest, and stone fruits in the aroma. Opens with a green tea and citrus bite bringing the orange and tangerine flavors. Herbal in the middle, floral with a honey like malt backbone. A bit astringent toward the end bringing tea flavors of the bittering variety. Full end of medium feel, slightly sticky and a dry finish. The tea works in this, it's a nice DIPA with unique flavors.

A: Pours a glowing, hazy golden orange with a thin, creamy white mousse.

S: Aromas of green tea, honey, caramel, cream, biscuit, white peach, nectarine, tangerine, lemon zest, mandarin orange, lime, and kumquat fill the nose.

T: Gorgeously integrated notes of white peach, nectarine, tangerine, lemon zest, mandarin orange, lime, kumquat, peppermint, pineapple, green tea, honey, caramel, cream, and biscuit wash across the palate. The finish is complex, presenting a balance of green tea, tart citrus, cream, honey, caramel, and biscuit flavors.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, and smooth. Lacking the resinous texture that is so characteristic of many ales of this type. Carbonation is airy and delicate. Alcohol is pronounced, but is warming rather than prickly.

O: Though I am getting a little tired of the endless IPA variations from Stone, this DIPA is really nice and sophisticated. It presents a gorgeous, thoughtful, and unique layering of flavors and aromas that really set it apart from many of the brewery's other products of this type. All in all, this may be the first beer from Stone that has even come close to exciting me in some time. It is well worth seeking out for open-minded fans of hoppy ales.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Enjoyed at Eureka! Solid IPA by stone. Green tea flavor isn't overwhelming, but nevertheless comes through nicely, and there is plenty of fruity malt to balance the hop bitterness. Flavored of dried apricot, candi, and pine. The alcohol nicely complements the big body. 12oz pour is just the right size. I won't eat food with this beer, as the subtleties would be lost. Greet tea in an IPA is a great idea, especially how similar the bitterness is between hops and matcha powder. This is maybe the only successful collaboration beer I've encountered.

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know why I ordered this. I hate green tea.
Ignore this review.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beautiful and very unique IPA! THANK YOU AGAIN, STONE!

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really love anything that Stone puts out. However this is a take or leave it.
Red ale with a nice white big foamy head.
Hops 101- almost to the point of bitter- no green tea notes detached
Very bubbly carbonation!

I love all things IPA but I was looking for a tea sweet note and felt it was missed. Glad I got to try it at EBF instead of buying a bottle

4.98/5  rDev +27%

Keg of 2015 green tea ipa drank ( best NA beer titleholder)

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Everyone knows I love a crazy style of beer. I love green tea and I love beer, so this was a must try when I found it. Off of the pour, I got a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. It had quite the bit of carbonation. The smell is where I started to doubt this beer a bit. It had an odor that I personally didn't like. It confused my nose to what was actually going on in the brew. I got tea and sour hops off the nose. The the taste was also kind of close to the smell. I got the strong taste of tea and very harsh hops. The hops were almost too harsh or sour in my opinion. I think this was a nice idea for a brew and the rating I have it is based upon the fact that I give them credit for using such off centered ingredients. But this was not one of my favorites. Drinkable but not as enjoyable as I would have hoped for.

to view more.
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.