Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
to view more.
Ratings: 1,296 | Reviews: 500
1.5/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Maybe it's just me, but the green tea flavors do not meld at all with the IPA. Was a mess of a beer, in my opinion.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Sweet, ripe banana, sweet orange, strong alcohol, medium body and carbonation.

4.79/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours out a hazy apricot body with a foamed head. Smells of tropical fruit, anise, pineapple hops with a vegetal, sweet underlying green tea element. Tastes of pale, lightly toasty malts and tropical fruit from the hops. Sweet Japanese tea leaf comes in stronger than I'd expected. Vegetal with notes of vanilla and algae. Tea goes toe to toe with the hops. Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Excellent.

Green tea wasn't the most pronounced flavor, more in the background. Also had a metallic aftertaste for me. Overall very enjoyable, however the hype had me thinking it might be better than it was. I would love to see this come back as a seasonal six pack someday!

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I found this to be a strong tasty ipa. Really enjoyed it. 10+ ABV is efficient!

4.82/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

smells like green tea, with a hoppy but then green tea finish. one of my new favorite double ipas, its very smooth and refreshing

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Light tasting and refreshing. Sweet finish.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Deep orange with a big white head and sticky lacing. Green tea, nectarines, oranges, lemon zest, and stone fruits in the aroma. Opens with a green tea and citrus bite bringing the orange and tangerine flavors. Herbal in the middle, floral with a honey like malt backbone. A bit astringent toward the end bringing tea flavors of the bittering variety. Full end of medium feel, slightly sticky and a dry finish. The tea works in this, it's a nice DIPA with unique flavors.

A: Pours a glowing, hazy golden orange with a thin, creamy white mousse.

S: Aromas of green tea, honey, caramel, cream, biscuit, white peach, nectarine, tangerine, lemon zest, mandarin orange, lime, and kumquat fill the nose.

T: Gorgeously integrated notes of white peach, nectarine, tangerine, lemon zest, mandarin orange, lime, kumquat, peppermint, pineapple, green tea, honey, caramel, cream, and biscuit wash across the palate. The finish is complex, presenting a balance of green tea, tart citrus, cream, honey, caramel, and biscuit flavors.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, and smooth. Lacking the resinous texture that is so characteristic of many ales of this type. Carbonation is airy and delicate. Alcohol is pronounced, but is warming rather than prickly.

O: Though I am getting a little tired of the endless IPA variations from Stone, this DIPA is really nice and sophisticated. It presents a gorgeous, thoughtful, and unique layering of flavors and aromas that really set it apart from many of the brewery's other products of this type. All in all, this may be the first beer from Stone that has even come close to exciting me in some time. It is well worth seeking out for open-minded fans of hoppy ales.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Enjoyed at Eureka! Solid IPA by stone. Green tea flavor isn't overwhelming, but nevertheless comes through nicely, and there is plenty of fruity malt to balance the hop bitterness. Flavored of dried apricot, candi, and pine. The alcohol nicely complements the big body. 12oz pour is just the right size. I won't eat food with this beer, as the subtleties would be lost. Greet tea in an IPA is a great idea, especially how similar the bitterness is between hops and matcha powder. This is maybe the only successful collaboration beer I've encountered.

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know why I ordered this. I hate green tea.
Ignore this review.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beautiful and very unique IPA! THANK YOU AGAIN, STONE!

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really love anything that Stone puts out. However this is a take or leave it.
Red ale with a nice white big foamy head.
Hops 101- almost to the point of bitter- no green tea notes detached
Very bubbly carbonation!

I love all things IPA but I was looking for a tea sweet note and felt it was missed. Glad I got to try it at EBF instead of buying a bottle

4.98/5  rDev +27%

Keg of 2015 green tea ipa drank ( best NA beer titleholder)

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Everyone knows I love a crazy style of beer. I love green tea and I love beer, so this was a must try when I found it. Off of the pour, I got a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. It had quite the bit of carbonation. The smell is where I started to doubt this beer a bit. It had an odor that I personally didn't like. It confused my nose to what was actually going on in the brew. I got tea and sour hops off the nose. The the taste was also kind of close to the smell. I got the strong taste of tea and very harsh hops. The hops were almost too harsh or sour in my opinion. I think this was a nice idea for a brew and the rating I have it is based upon the fact that I give them credit for using such off centered ingredients. But this was not one of my favorites. Drinkable but not as enjoyable as I would have hoped for.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE - 3FH, opaque, carbonation, light, hazy.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, sweet.

TASTE - Hops, bitter, pine.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Carbonation, dry, bubbly, clean, effervescent, crisp.

VALUE - $8 for 8-oz draft. Why so little?

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - The tea is hardly noticeable, but probably makes it drier and crisper. ABV well-hidden.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't like IPAs, but I love green tea. This had a strong green tea flavor and was tasty. However, I don't like IPAs and the bitterness was hard to overcome. I liked the beer because it was crystal clear like a cider, fizzy in my mouth, and the color was phenomenal. I just don't like IPAs unfortunately!

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bomber into a snifter

Appearance – The beer pours a very hazy medium golden orange color with a one finger head of white foam. The head has a great level of retention, very slowly fading over time and leaving a fantastic level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heavy of a green tea smell mixed with some other fruity notes of a tropical fruit and melon. Along with these aromas comes some other smells of a light bready nature with a moderate level of lemon rounding it all out.

Taste – The taste begins with a thicker bready taste mixed with a sweeter tropical fruit flavor. Along with these flavors comes a decent sum of grapefruit hop as well as some more grassy hop flavors. While the green tea flavor is a bit lighter upfront it gains quite a bit more potency as the taste moves onto the end. Along with the green tea coming on, some light grainy tastes come as well. All the while a little bit of earth comes to the tongue at the end, and with a lightening of the fruit and a slight drying of the biscuit, one is left with somewhat hoppy and “green” (both grassy and tea) flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather average for a 10.1 % brew with the carbonation level being on the slightly higher side for its strength. For the “green” and hoppier taste of the brew, the feel is decent as it makes for a good base for the drier tastes, all while accentuating the other flavors enough, but not too much.

Overall – A rather tasty, more “green” tasting IPA with a slightly more easy drinking feel. While good, not quite worth the price tag. A great one to try but not really one I would go to on a frequent occasion (that is if it was offered at all times.)

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Interesting.... This brew is a hazy yellow color with a big, puffy white head. The aroma is unique...florL, tea like, herbal, and strong. Boozy and sweet smelling. The flavor is balanced, and the IPA hop character comes forth more in the taste. Firm , assertive, and interesting.

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Fucking awesome double IPA regardless of how much you like green tea.

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Toronado - San Francisco, CA

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Deep dark gold with heavy bubbles on the body. The white head rose thick at first maybe 1/3" off the body...sticky lacing a bit un even but very delicious looking beer with it's slightly hazy body.

Smell: Heavy hops and yes tea. A little freaky if you ask me.

Taste: Complex taste and honestly and if this beer had a pinch of honey I would rate it a couple of points higher. The hops and malts are very evident, you take a sip and it's more than just a quench of thirst. Bitter but tea sweet minus the sugar. Mellow feel, with a citrus skin finish.

Mouth: Heavy feel, and carbonation in full effect. Problem I would have here is how sticky it is. Second problem I am not sure how many people would agree this is the best combo. Hard to judge so I leave my verdict in the middle.

Overall: Not bad at all, Not the best DIPA either but definitely worth my time. Drink up and enjoy...Salud!

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Green tea taste is prominent. High ABV is yielded by the aftertaste and bitterness. Not overly bitter. Not overly earthy. A very well balanced beer; especially on tap.

14oz Pilsner on tap
4/5
Definitely recommended.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

I bought this beer as a curiosity because even though Stone makes a lot of unique beers most of them are pretty good. I like green tea alright and I love IPA's so I figured this one would be interesting. I will say this one does not really work but then it does.

Appearance: Looks like a nice golden red IPA, with a little bit of head and some clarity and floating matter going on. I guess its the tea? This beer is not the freshest in the world but its certainly not old either at this point, so I assume that is a desirable feature.

Aroma: Lots of the tea aroma comes through, as a matter of fact I get very little hop characteristic at all. Bergamot and earthy green tea like aroma is dominant. It really does remind me of a cold brewed green tea drink more than beer.

Taste: This is where this beer loses ground. Tea is dominant and in an off way, it overpowers the hops and you get this strange mishmash of hop and tea that does not meld in my opinion. There are odd off citrus notes and green tea tannic dryness that is off putting. Not a fan of this one. Sorry Stone!

Overall: It just did not work for me, its a yin yang of sorts, the aroma is great, but the taste is just bad. The flavors they were trying to combine are not suited to be amalgamated with one another. So, that is where my rankings come in. Smells good tastes bad!

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA with a unique flavor that comes through from the tea. An interesting offering, and worth a try.

to view more.
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.