Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011)
Reviews by dannyancient:
dannyancient

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

A:
This beer pours a light orange color, which seems great until I notice a bunch of floaty gunk in it. This is weird because I"m always careful when pouring so as to not get yeast sediment. Possibly a side effect from the green tea, but I'm not a fan. Pours a nice head, which dissipates rather quickly leaving no lacing.

S:
Lots of green tea in the aroma, with a slightly piney hop character

T:
Herbs, tea, and bitterness. It has the telltale bittering profile of a Stone beer, but the tea does something that my palate just isn't into. It's a tiny bit sweet, with an orange chatacter which is pleasant. Additionally it has abit of an alcoholic burn to it.

M:
Decent mouthfeel with nice carbonation

Overall:
I didn't like this beer nearly as much as I thought I would. it seemed like a great idea and I couldn't wait to try it, but I feel like the idea was better than the execution. Regardless, it's for a good cause so I feel good about that anyway.

Serving type: 12 oz bottle

07-28-2011 03:49:55 | More by dannyancient
oberon

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

A beer for a real good cause,I had to buy a few.Poured into a standard pint a medium golden with a tinge of orange,a thinner but well sustained white head atop.Aromas are a little thin with citric hops predominant,not much malt presence there.Flavors are citric hops with the herbalness of green tea coming in late,a biscuit base holds up well into the finish.The green tea for me plays a bigger role than many others who reviewed this beer but its not something over the top,again Iam glad I grabbed a few.

08-13-2011 21:52:05 | More by oberon
BenTherHppedThat

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

11-20-2011 06:58:55 | More by BenTherHppedThat
BeerAdvocate

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #55 (August 2011):

Brewed to help Japan’s Tohoku region disaster relief effort—good ideas come from good people. Dull, hazy golden hue, and a good lacing to boot. Green tea comes through just enough in the nose and lets the hops float around for a while. Smooth, creamy medium body. Green tea flavor sticks to the palate from start to finish. Hops are bold with a thick herbal flavor and more restrained bitterness to let the tea and, well, the beer come through. Mild dry breadiness from the malt. Alcohol is warming but not a bother. Tea flavors and hops linger into the dry finish. An amazing extreme brew for a great cause.

12-15-2011 13:34:46 | More by BeerAdvocate
danthehopslamman

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

08-13-2012 20:45:36 | More by danthehopslamman
lordofthewiens

Maine

This beer was an amber color with a thick white head that left a good deal of lace.

Mostly a citrus aroma. Sweet malt present. Tea aroma noticeable, alcohol not.

Mostly grapefruit taste, as well as some mango. Resinous pine notes. Again, the tea was there, but the alcohol wasn't.

Medium-bodied, easy to drink.

Interesting concept.

08-30-2011 12:19:11 | More by lordofthewiens
Britton

11-19-2011 15:19:45 | More by Britton
Billolick

3.6/5  rDev -7%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness info available.

Pours clouded orangy amber, moderate off white head, that quickly departs and leaves just a typical looking collar and some tongues of lace.

I get a heavy grapefruit juice and sweat tea infused nose.

Lots going on here, another load of grapefruit laden hops, more some what off putting tea notes and a fruity/sweat midsection. Complex, differant and interesting, but not all that pleasing to the senses in the grand scheme of things.

For a good cause, so glad I could help the effort-but not something I would likely seek out again.

08-19-2011 18:04:25 | More by Billolick
locckdown

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

03-24-2012 22:33:41 | More by locckdown
Hoops4life511

11-18-2011 19:01:43 | More by Hoops4life511
Mora2000

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is full of orange citrus, biscuit malt, bread and some dryness that I associate with the green tea.

The flavor is very nice. I get a lot of orange and pine, as well as some nice green tea flavors. There is some biscuit malt and the bitterness is low to medium. There is also some ginger notes as the beer warms.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice Double IPA.

09-25-2011 22:11:21 | More by Mora2000
bsp77

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Murky orange with moderate off-white head. It was clear at first as I was careful with the crazy yeast/tea/whatever sediment, but once I decided the sediment tasted good, I mixed it in.

Smell: Odd funky citrus with a strong herbal quality from the green tea. The aroma is a little Belgian-like.

Taste: Interesting mix of citrus (grapefruit, orange) and green tea. Not much malt backbone that I can detect. Finish is slightly bitter, but very herbal and tea-like.

Feel: Moderate carbonation with a surprisingly light body for a DIPA. Odd, but dry finish.

Overall: Simple and unique, but very refreshing and dangerously drinkable. Definitely impressed.

10-15-2011 02:42:27 | More by bsp77
standardcherry

05-25-2012 19:35:29 | More by standardcherry
ehammond1

Bottle (2011)

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Golden yellow with a touch of amber. Thin white head. Spotted lacing down the glass.

Earthy, floral, and a touch citrusy aroma. Not quite as pungent as I may have expected from a big 9+ ABV DIPA from Stone, but this one is a wonderful sniffer--earthy and floral.

A mildly bitter and incredibly well balanced DIPA. It is absolutely shocking that this has over 9% alcohol--it's absolutely no where to be seen. Floral and some sweet citrus, and then a earthy, lingering finish. A delicious and impressively quaffable big IPA.

Medium bodied. A pleasure to drink.

A delicious, balanced, impressive DIPA. The earthy component is a nice ending to an otherwise balanced and citrusy DIPA.

07-15-2011 15:08:40 | More by ehammond1
rwilde

11-20-2011 13:50:27 | More by rwilde
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Good orange and yellow color, ample head, just the right amount of carbonation. Loved the dry hop aroma, usual citrus, but now with the vegetal greenness, that I assume to be green tea (never had green tea) because I don't recognize such a thing even in wet hopped beers, but I liked it. So herbal. Dunno if theres summits in here, but I like the herb and garlic feel in the dry hop. Unique points.

Taste, holy shit, I expected this to be gross, so I only bought one bottle. Wrong. This is delightfully hoppy and tasty. What? 9.2%? That must be a mistake. . . I guessed 6%. Totally hides the alcohol so very well. Just so herbal, really just kept making me think 'wet hops' like the first time I had Harvest ale back on tap a decade or so ago.

Sometimes I think well distributed brews get dinged up in here. Troegs and Stone, you've done it again. Great beer. Will buy multiples of these if I can find them again in a reasonable time frame. I wonder if tea will preserve hops better?

08-23-2011 23:35:55 | More by Beerandraiderfan
OStrungT

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color, with a thick yellowish head that fades very slowly, leaving a nice lace.

This beer has a pleasent citrus, grapefruit like aroma. I can detect a slight pine scent as well. I smell a very slight spicy aroma as well. Maybe coriander.

This beer tastes like it smells. Citrusy grapefruit with some pine. There is no tea flavor present.

This beer is highly carbonated. It leaves a citrusy hop aftertaste. The alcohol is well hiden in both the aroma and the flavor.

This beer wouldnt make the best session beer. It is high in alcohol, making it hard to put down many, and the flavor is aggressively hopped.

Overall: This beer is decent, but nothing special. I would probably drink it again, but I wouldnt seak it out. Many better DIPA's out there.

10-21-2011 02:17:49 | More by OStrungT
mocktm

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Happen to love both green tea and beer, but together, who knows? Crazier things have happened. 12 oz bottle for $3 and change, worth a shot I figure.

Cloudy orange hue with tons of spare sediment floating around and a slightly off white head that dissipates rather quickly. Appears to have a pretty thick syrup like consistency off the pour.

Aromas are intriguing, IPA citrus and floral hop presence cut with green tea. Grapefruit, resin, lemon and of course, tea are really well defined, with a sweet malt backbone as well. I was expecting a much subtler flavor from the tea, but it really stands out. I've never had anything quite like this. Its herbal and piney at the same time, with neither one trouncing the other. Interesting and well done.

Really well balanced beer, the tea is again prevalent but not an overwhelming complexity. Still has all those characteristics that really puts Stone in the upper tier of IPAs, but adds a rather unique twist. Noticeable lingering hop bitterness, apparent citrus and spiked tea. The more I drink, the more I like it.

Mouthfeel is clean, despite the ridiculous amount of sediment floating around. As I noted before, mildly syrupy with a medium body. I drank this rather quickly for the ABV content, so I'd say the alcohol is rather well masked. Bravo

This beer might fall into the novelty category, but I'd buy it again for sure. Shining example of how much you can really do with beer if the creativity is there. Cheers!

08-16-2011 20:14:08 | More by mocktm
vfalstad

04-26-2012 17:51:49 | More by vfalstad
rhoadsrage

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a bright aged copper body with a thin head that is soon gone and a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles. There is a planktonic swirling of micro-trub particles in the body.

S- The bright woody citrus hops is gentle but full with maybe a hint of green tea in the finish that quickly turns into a lemony sorachi ace aroma.

T- Green woody hops take on a grapefruit zest and then finishes with a bit more juicy fruity hop with some green herbal hop notes.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizz that coats the mouth with each sip and no alcohol heat even when it warms a good bit.

O- This is a nice IPA with a good blend of new and old varieties of hops. I don't get any green tea flavor which I'm a bit disappointing in but it doesn't hurt the flavor not having it.

09-12-2011 21:13:28 | More by rhoadsrage
LXIXME

New Mexico

3.33/5  rDev -14%

Poured from an inch or so above or so above the glass give you a really big white head that slow fades into a pretty decent lacing above a particle filled but otherwise clear honey golden color.

Pine, sour citrus leaning towards lemon, with some floral yet herbal hops aroma.

Light pine with some citrus hops taste with a slight sour bend to it.

A dry almost puckering aftertaste on this medium bodied IPA that is pretty decent but lacks the hops bite I kinda like in Imperial IPA's.

12-09-2011 23:14:43 | More by LXIXME
ste5venla

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

05-25-2012 23:08:42 | More by ste5venla
quirkzoo

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Nice hazy bright orange beer. Something about the color really appealed to me. The small was pretty standard Stone IPA if a little muted as compared to their usual over the top offerings. Hop aroma was balanced between citrus fruits and pine and tastes pretty similar. Not as bitter as I was expecting from a IIPA but very easy drinking. If I was not told, I probably would not have known that there was any green tea in this, not sure where it is present in the beer except to perhaps add a different level of earthy bitterness. Beer drinks super smooth, especially considering it is 9.2abv. Overall it is a solid IPA which is interesting but unremarkable, worth trying but not a new favorite. I am glad that some of the proceeds went to a good cause.

09-02-2011 18:56:26 | More by quirkzoo
caddybuyer

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A-Bright copper with some floaties in anotherwise fairly clear brew. Thick slick creamy head that laces nicely.

S-Probably the weak point in this ale. Subtle lemongrass and some floral hints in the background.

T-Semi sweet malting is quickly overtaken by floral hops and the green tea undertone is present throughout. Alcohol absent when cold, but asserts itself as the brew warms. This does not seem to be as well received by others as I would expect, but I find it very refreshing. Not an over-the-top Stone hop bomb by any means, just a pretty well balanced take on a DIPA with a new twist.

M-Medium, with well balanced carbonation.

O-Overall, this is a pretty good DIPA. I have had a number of these over the past few weeks at varying temperatures, and this is the first time I have made an effort to do the correct serving temperature and glassware. The first time I tried this I poured two of them into a "to go" cup for the commuter train. They were ice cold, and damn did I think they were refreshing.

Sadly, most of the stores are sold out of this, but it does have it's merits.

09-17-2011 20:02:31 | More by caddybuyer
alecvdpoel

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

09-05-2012 19:40:42 | More by alecvdpoel
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.