Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,239 | Reviews: 490
Reviews by mechamifune:
3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

At first glance I notice a lot of setiment sitting at the bottom of the bottle, which is unexpected. I manage to keep any of it from getting into the pour and the result is a pleasant looking IIPA, clear with a yellow/gold color. Very slight white head comes up and goes away almost instantly. Lacing is evident but very light.

Smell is aggressive hops.... not a real strong citrus element there, or at least not one i'm picking up on. There is a little "something" else in the nose, but I can't quite define it.... the green tea element perhaps? (though it doesn't smell like green tea to me).

Taste is in line with a good IIPA, loads of bitterness and some citrus upfront but not astringently so....and then an odd almost mouthwash-like taste to the finish. The finish is not completely foul, but it is odd and not what I would call pleasant. I'm guessing this is the green tea element, but I can't say it reminds me of any green tea i've had.

Mouthfeel is good for the style. A nice sense of crispness and carbonation, making it easy to drink given the strength of the bittnerness and flavor.

In the end... this is kind of like drinking a Ruination with a little bit of mouthwash added in the finish. It's not as bad as that might sound, but I won't be drinking it again.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Guess it didn't like the fact that I rated this so much higher than others and is forcing me to write a review...
Can't really knock the look, beautiful color and about a 1 inch head. 4.75
Smell is just as delicious as the taste! Get that leafy, grassy smell all up in that nose! 4.75
Taste? So good! Hop bite at first with that same leafy, green tea, herbal taste on the back end... SOLID 4.75!
Feel is nice, big carbonation which I love and could give a 5, but will do 4.75
So overall, I don't know why this only gets a 87 so far... It's just as good if not better than the 3 Toppling Goliath beers I just recently tried which are hyped beyond belief.
Wonderful beer here!

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1PT 6 FL OZ bottle
Served in an oversized wine glass

L - It pours a crystal clear amber color with golden highlights. It is topped with a couple inches of beige head that leaves some lacing.

S - I am surprised by how much this smells like green tea. There is some citrus from the hops, but the aromas flow seamlessly together.

T - Again, I am surprised by how much this tastes like green tea. The hops are more noticeable in the flavor. It starts out like green tea. The citrus comes into the finish to compliment the tea flavor, and I am left with a slight pine taste at the very end. The alcohol is pretty well hidden. I get a little when it warms, but it didn't warm much because I like it so much.

F - Medium and smooth

O - I am still surprised with how much I like this beer. I picked it up on a whim. I am going to get another if it ever stops snowing.

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Draught into chalice

A: Hazy gold, thin layer of white lacing

S: The nose is subdued. Some sweet notes and distinctive scents of green tea and floral hops.

T: the malt sweetness and delicious green tea notes seem to bury the hops, though notes of hops linger through the finish. Warming and further sampling yields a more noticeable hop bitterness. Taste is largely malt sweetness, bitter hops, and wonderful green tea flavors. Ever had green tea ice cream? Taste is reminiscent of that dish. Alcohol is well-hidden, save for a light, pleasant burn at the end. My god, I could drink this endlessly.

M: light-bodied, but creamy. Coats the mouth well. A tingle of booze in the nose

O: wow, I liked this far more than I anticipated. This beer really highlights the green tea, but showcases the hops well. A fun drink, and one I'll be seeking out again.

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Not a green tea fan, apparently.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was really excited to try this after learning that it was made in the past (only once!) with good reception.

Refrigerated for about an hour prior to pouring into tulip glass.
Appearance: Honey colored with a beautiful, full frothy head
Aroma: Hmm.. not really smelling much, if any, tea. Just some strong, fresh hops
Taste: Matcha (green tea) is strong up front, followed by the hops. Afterwards my breath tastes like matcha... awesome
Mouthfeel: Smooth, almost creamy? Carbonation is medium
Overall: The "Green Tea" is not a gimmick; it is not subtle, it is really there and the drink indeed lives up to the name. It's a special IPA for sure. While not for everyone, no one who doesn't like green tea wouldn't try it anyway...

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The nose and then taste of this brew counsel a release from unhealthy earthly attachments and to ritualized imbibing establishing a link to the worthy past. Consumption of the beer leads to a sense of peace, until the dry aftertaste leads intuitively to a path of awareness. Hence, it honors the major spiritual influences in modern Japan (Zen, Shinto, and Tao) while satisfying the contemporary American palate.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A beer for a real good cause,I had to buy a few.Poured into a standard pint a medium golden with a tinge of orange,a thinner but well sustained white head atop.Aromas are a little thin with citric hops predominant,not much malt presence there.Flavors are citric hops with the herbalness of green tea coming in late,a biscuit base holds up well into the finish.The green tea for me plays a bigger role than many others who reviewed this beer but its not something over the top,again Iam glad I grabbed a few.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #55 (August 2011):

Brewed to help Japan’s Tohoku region disaster relief effort—good ideas come from good people. Dull, hazy golden hue, and a good lacing to boot. Green tea comes through just enough in the nose and lets the hops float around for a while. Smooth, creamy medium body. Green tea flavor sticks to the palate from start to finish. Hops are bold with a thick herbal flavor and more restrained bitterness to let the tea and, well, the beer come through. Mild dry breadiness from the malt. Alcohol is warming but not a bother. Tea flavors and hops linger into the dry finish. An amazing extreme brew for a great cause.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer was an amber color with a thick white head that left a good deal of lace.

Mostly a citrus aroma. Sweet malt present. Tea aroma noticeable, alcohol not.

Mostly grapefruit taste, as well as some mango. Resinous pine notes. Again, the tea was there, but the alcohol wasn't.

Medium-bodied, easy to drink.

Interesting concept.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

2.79/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I must have been expecting something else, because Green Tea and Beer do not belong with on another. It was so overwhelming with the Green Tea flavor that I forgot I was drinking beer. It was more like a lightly carbonated Lipton, with a splash of hops. It smelled okay, but man the taste I just couldn't handle.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I would have never thought of using Green Tea in a beer. As a lover of both green tea and IPA's i thought I would give this one a shot. I am not disappointed at all, and I would definitely by this one again.

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.