Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,247 | Reviews: 494
4.82/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

smells like green tea, with a hoppy but then green tea finish. one of my new favorite double ipas, its very smooth and refreshing

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Light tasting and refreshing. Sweet finish.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Deep orange with a big white head and sticky lacing. Green tea, nectarines, oranges, lemon zest, and stone fruits in the aroma. Opens with a green tea and citrus bite bringing the orange and tangerine flavors. Herbal in the middle, floral with a honey like malt backbone. A bit astringent toward the end bringing tea flavors of the bittering variety. Full end of medium feel, slightly sticky and a dry finish. The tea works in this, it's a nice DIPA with unique flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a glowing, hazy golden orange with a thin, creamy white mousse.

S: Aromas of green tea, honey, caramel, cream, biscuit, white peach, nectarine, tangerine, lemon zest, mandarin orange, lime, and kumquat fill the nose.

T: Gorgeously integrated notes of white peach, nectarine, tangerine, lemon zest, mandarin orange, lime, kumquat, peppermint, pineapple, green tea, honey, caramel, cream, and biscuit wash across the palate. The finish is complex, presenting a balance of green tea, tart citrus, cream, honey, caramel, and biscuit flavors.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, and smooth. Lacking the resinous texture that is so characteristic of many ales of this type. Carbonation is airy and delicate. Alcohol is pronounced, but is warming rather than prickly.

O: Though I am getting a little tired of the endless IPA variations from Stone, this DIPA is really nice and sophisticated. It presents a gorgeous, thoughtful, and unique layering of flavors and aromas that really set it apart from many of the brewery's other products of this type. All in all, this may be the first beer from Stone that has even come close to exciting me in some time. It is well worth seeking out for open-minded fans of hoppy ales.

3.71/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Enjoyed at Eureka! Solid IPA by stone. Green tea flavor isn't overwhelming, but nevertheless comes through nicely, and there is plenty of fruity malt to balance the hop bitterness. Flavored of dried apricot, candi, and pine. The alcohol nicely complements the big body. 12oz pour is just the right size. I won't eat food with this beer, as the subtleties would be lost. Greet tea in an IPA is a great idea, especially how similar the bitterness is between hops and matcha powder. This is maybe the only successful collaboration beer I've encountered.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know why I ordered this. I hate green tea.
Ignore this review.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beautiful and very unique IPA! THANK YOU AGAIN, STONE!

3.42/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really love anything that Stone puts out. However this is a take or leave it.
Red ale with a nice white big foamy head.
Hops 101- almost to the point of bitter- no green tea notes detached
Very bubbly carbonation!

I love all things IPA but I was looking for a tea sweet note and felt it was missed. Glad I got to try it at EBF instead of buying a bottle

4.98/5  rDev +27%

Keg of 2015 green tea ipa drank ( best NA beer titleholder)

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Everyone knows I love a crazy style of beer. I love green tea and I love beer, so this was a must try when I found it. Off of the pour, I got a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. It had quite the bit of carbonation. The smell is where I started to doubt this beer a bit. It had an odor that I personally didn't like. It confused my nose to what was actually going on in the brew. I got tea and sour hops off the nose. The the taste was also kind of close to the smell. I got the strong taste of tea and very harsh hops. The hops were almost too harsh or sour in my opinion. I think this was a nice idea for a brew and the rating I have it is based upon the fact that I give them credit for using such off centered ingredients. But this was not one of my favorites. Drinkable but not as enjoyable as I would have hoped for.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.