Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,341 | Reviews: 515
1.46/5  rDev -62.8%

Site wants me to justify my ratings with a review soooo...

This beer looks fine and the mouthfeel is adequate for an IPA.

However it smells and tastes putrid. It's a contender for the worst beer I have ever had.

Huge rare-miss for Stone.

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Maybe it's just me, but the green tea flavors do not meld at all with the IPA. Was a mess of a beer, in my opinion.

1.92/5  rDev -51%

12oz bottle $3.99. I was hoping this would be good like so many Stone Collaborations but I could not stand this and it ended up going down the drain. Bright orange-yellow color, good head, looks good. Smell is odd, a bit oh hops and something totally foreign in an IPA. I like green tea but this was so completely dominated by it that I could not take it. It was just too herbal and "green". Yuck.

1.96/5  rDev -50%

On tap in a short stange at the Stone Tap Takeover at Acre.

Appearance: This has a light hazy golden color with a small white head that laces the glass nicely.

Smell: The aroma has a green tea base, with a fair amount of lemon, some grapefruit hops, and some biscuity malt.

Taste: The flavor is terrible. Medicinal flavor, fusel alcohol, green tea, sweet biscuity malt, and some lemon zest are pretty much a mess.

Mouthfeel: Astringent and dry, with a light to medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall: I could not really drink much of this at all. It is definitely the worst Stone beer I have ever had.

Just terrible. Tastes like tea, not beer.

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Light tasting and refreshing. Sweet finish.

2.39/5  rDev -39%

Appearnace was a nice light color, and was probably the best part of the beer. It smelled like a smooth beer, no hop presence of note, strange for an IPA. I was expceting a hoppy green teaish flavor, especially from Stone. But all I tasted was green tea foward and alcohol on the back end. Not balanced and not really too drinkable. Overall I did not like this beer. Perhaps if they toned down the Alcohol. I think 9% is a bit steep for something like this. If it had less of a boozy feel, a little more hops I would have enjoyed it more.

2.41/5  rDev -38.5%

One of the worst beer I have ever tasted.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my stone pint glass...

A-Pours a cloudy orange hue with a 2 finger off white head that dissipates to little or no head with minimal lacing...

S-Green tea with citrus and floral notes like orange and lemon and some herbal like notes as well...

T-Very interesting, green tea right up front with an orange mid malt and more green tea dry hops finish...very unusual taste about it...towards the end had to force it down a bit because the green tea and chemical like taste was to much...

M-Very thin or light bodied, has a dry hops green tea lingering taste...I get a chemical taste out of the mouth on this, very unpleasant...

O-A nice collaboration and great idea but i was not impressed with this brew to much, I'm just glad the profits go to a good cause...i could say i will not be drinking this one again...

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not a big green tea fan, otherwise a good IPA

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%

A: The pour is a light orange color with a big white head.

S: The nose on this is just flat out unpleasant. There is a strong aroma of onions, vegetables, body odor, and feet. There is some tea, but it's not very strong. A bit of grapefruit peel and some fake lemon.

T: There is a lot of bready malt flavor to the beer with a decent amount of hops. The hop flavors aren't all that enjoyable, though. I pick up some lemons, onions, a mild pine, and just a bit of bitterness.

M: The body is medium with a medium to high carbonation.

O: I wanted to like this as it is for a good cause, but it just missed the mark.

2.66/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Smells lovely, like fresh brewed tea with citrus peel.But it tastes like soap and sweetened green tea. Very astringent and the green tea is overpowering. It's almost as if something was done to enhance the herbal, minty flavors of the tea without balancing it in relation to the the hops and malts.

I think I might like something like this (i.e., tea and beer combination) if it were on the lighter side (not trying to be a huge IPA). In Amsterdam, I had a pale ale blended with tea and it was refreshing.

This is just not my cup of tea.

2.71/5  rDev -30.9%

Stone’s 2015 Japanese Green Tea IPA is a collaboration that was originally brewed in 2011 with Baird Brewing Company (Japan) and Ishii Brewing Company (Guam). It was dry-hopped twice, first with Aramis, Crystal and Helga. The second dry hop consisted of Sorachi Ace hops and the addition of Japanese green tea. Back in 2011, Toshi Ishii, owner of Ishii Brewing, contacted Greg Koch of Stone Brewing to propose a collaboration ale that would raise funds for the relief efforts of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. In all, over $64,000 was donated to the Japanese Red Cross Society.

Appearance – 80: The 22 ounce bomber was poured into a Spigelau IPA glass. It immediately produced an impressive 1 1/2 inch of foam with bubbly white froth that stuck to the inside. Light orange in color that resembled a tangerine. When held to the light I noticed it was very cloudy, with chunks of tiny resin floating around in the glass.

Aroma – 70: The first whiffs of the aroma provided floral notes combined with a touch of citrus fruit. This quickly tapered off, which was unexpected and disappointing, as I was hoping the scent from the hops and tea leaves would linger longer.

Body & Texture – 85: Well carbonated, provided a nice “bite”. Very light and refreshing, like a cold, iced tea on a summer’s day.

Taste – 40: The first sip provided a brief punch of tropical fruit, and earthy, herbal notes. Then, it was all downhill. There was an overwhelming taste of green tea, like a Lipton, and for a brief moment I forgot I was drinking a beer. Although the hop profiles try to shine through, they are immediately kicked to the curb by the minty, herbal tea flavors.

Overall – 68 (Fair): This is easily one of the worst tasting craft beers I have consumed in quite some time. After my third gulp, I poured the glass and rest of the bottle down the drain. Lesson learned: do not mix beer and tea, as they should be enjoyed separately. This does not change my outlook on Stone because they make an arsenal of quality ales, from the Enjoy By IPA to their Double Bastard Ale.

2.72/5  rDev -30.6%

Consumed while camping on August 2nd, 2011 from a bottle labelled May, 2011.

A significant amount of sediment lived in the bottom of this bottle. I was not entirely successful in a gentle pour and so got to drink a lot of it. Looked like it should, more or less: medium yellow/copper color with a thin white head.

Aroma is hoppy: pine and grapefruit. There is a slight hint of an herbal, grassy note that MIGHT be green tea... Otherwise, dead average for a double IPA.

Flavor is a mess; while the expected DIPA flavors are there, they are all out of balance. Caramel malt rears its head for a moment before drowning in a sea of bitter ruby grapefruit and pine tar. Mainly, though, there's a disagreeably medicinal, minty, herbal flavor on top of it all that I assume must be the green tea.

Mouthfeel was unremarkable. Slightly dry with medium body.

At least my money went to a good cause (Japanese tsunami relief) with the purchase of this beer. It was only made once so I think there's little danger I will have this beer again. Maybe it was better right out of the fermenter?

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

stale green tea and other cringeworthy spices

2.76/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This just doesn't do it for me. Not being a green tea drinker, I guess I didn't know what to expect.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Looked good, smelled ok but tasted a little off.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Recovered review from my hacked account. jmkratt:

2.75/5 rDev -37.1%

Picked up a bottle while the Stone rep was still at the store so it's as fresh as I will be able to get. Sounded interesting! The beer pours a crystal clear golden honey color with a decent 1 finger white bubbly head. Some retention and lacing. There is a fair amount of fine sediment as well. The aroma is...odd. I am picking up a chemical-type character like plastic? Also a lot of citrus hop character. Not sure what's going on here. Starts off with a citrus hop character but is immediately overwhelmed by a strong tea flavor, which I believe was what I was picking up on the nose. Doesn't seem to balance well and is difficult to swallow. The plastic character is really detrimental. I don't think the tea works at all. I can't say I've ever had a Tea Beer and honestly doubt I ever will try another after this beer.

Reviewed on: 07-23-2011 01:53:19

2.79/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I must have been expecting something else, because Green Tea and Beer do not belong with on another. It was so overwhelming with the Green Tea flavor that I forgot I was drinking beer. It was more like a lightly carbonated Lipton, with a splash of hops. It smelled okay, but man the taste I just couldn't handle.

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Good effort by Stone but there is a reason green tea and beer arent normally thought of together.

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's a hazy amber. Decent head and retention.

Smell of green tea and musk. Not good.

Taste of musk, old hops. Little citrus rind, and old green tea leaves. A tad spice.

Too thick. Little feel from the carbonation.

I was forced to review due to it being an outlier. I dont see how this has such a high rating. I love IPAs and green tea, but this has very few good qualities from either. It doesn't taste fresh, but it says 2015...

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Don't know if I got a bad bottle or something, but the this beer was just too astringent for me. I don't know if that came from the tea or something else. Maybe I'll give it another try. But in the meantime, I can't get that astringent tea flavor out of my mind.

2.82/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Decent carbonation, honey colored with some coppery undertones.

S: Probably the best feature of this beer. Aromas of green tea, florals, pine, and some citrus.

T: As it washes over the palate notes of tea, pine, earth, pepper and grass. Really kind of falls apart for me here. Not well balanced and just plain astringent.

M/O: Pretty thin body here and really a mediocre at best beer. Not that impressed.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

$3 or so @ Yankee's, poured into ceramic lowenbrau mug.

A- Pale pale beer with a TON of sediment in it.

S- Nose is odd.. lots of hops but something else, guessing the tea.

T- Zippy, fruity hops awash with lemon/lime/orange. Tea is pretty strong too and comes across as strong green veggies. Weird. Very spritzy on the tongue. Scrubbing bubbles wash away the flavors, minty aftertaste.

M- Lots of alcohol present.. I guess it's expected @ 9.2, a bit much though. Good carbonation and moderate body.

O- Interesting, I'd like to try and pair this with something to see if I interpret it differently. Points for originality, but a bit of a head-scratcher.

2.86/5  rDev -27%

Pours hazy golden with protein particulates galore. A pillowy off white head holds long retention and sticky lace. If not for the chunks in suspension this would have scored higher.

Apparent green tea in the aroma. Earthy and piney, resiny hop aromas. Fussel alcohols and some sweet malty aromas in the background.

Again green tea is there and matches well with the earthy, piney hops. Resiny but unfortunately gritty on the finish. And again fussel alcohol really comes out especially in the middle. Light cereal malts leave things a bit sweet on the finish, but dries out with a good amount of hop bitterness. Just something overall missing the mark on this one.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.