Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 454 | Hads: 1,348

Pours a nice orange with a nice fluffy head. But the smell... is urine. No green tea (and I've had far more than my fair share of green tea). Perhaps a vague hop aroma, perhaps a hint of booze, not even Simcoe cat piss, just... "maybe I should drink more water" pee.

If you can get past the smell, it tastes fine. A little too boozy for me, a little too bittered for my palate (like most of Stone's brews), but tastes pretty average. Pretty nice mouthfeel.

Makes me wonder if I have a bad bottle. I've heard good things - some rave reviews, but even "like Stone IPA plus green tea" sounds incredibly delicious to me. Bummer. (626 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -19.8%

L: perfect looking DIPA
A: strong green tea, herbal, pepper, mint, citrus hops, lime
T: breadiness and heavy green tea, citrus hops.
M: great mouthfeel, medium light body, goes down easy. Slight drying finish
O: excellently made beer, but the heavy green tea isnt for me. I'll finish it, but thats as far as this will go. If someone is looking for a green tea DIPA, this would be a five. Like green tea in beer form. I wasnt expecting it so in my face, but this is Stone, one of my favorite breweries...I should have been ready. (537 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -19.8%

Kevin hooked me up with this beer recently and I'd forgotten he did until a couple of days ago. We'd split one at City Beer Store a few months back and I was the only one in our group that enjoyed it. Thanks again, Kevin!

Pouring into a New Glarus pint glass. Hazy orange with a thin off-white foam that's retaining well. Lots of sediment floating around in the glass.

Living up to its name, there's an unmistakable green tea-like aroma protruding in front. A floral, jasmine-like scent immediately follows. Also detecting a faint citrus.

Firmly bitter but a unique soap/floral flavor takes the first strides but stubbornly makes room a green tea latte sweetness. Somewhat spicy hop with a lingering jasmine floral character in the finish.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

While this beer may have accomplished what it set out to in terms of a green tea flavor, as an Imperial IPA it just can't hold a candle to the better examples of the style. Soapy/floral mix is off-putting and detracts from drinkability. Despite that this is only 12 oz, I do not intend to finish. (1,083 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

I bought this beer as a curiosity because even though Stone makes a lot of unique beers most of them are pretty good. I like green tea alright and I love IPA's so I figured this one would be interesting. I will say this one does not really work but then it does.

Appearance: Looks like a nice golden red IPA, with a little bit of head and some clarity and floating matter going on. I guess its the tea? This beer is not the freshest in the world but its certainly not old either at this point, so I assume that is a desirable feature.

Aroma: Lots of the tea aroma comes through, as a matter of fact I get very little hop characteristic at all. Bergamot and earthy green tea like aroma is dominant. It really does remind me of a cold brewed green tea drink more than beer.

Taste: This is where this beer loses ground. Tea is dominant and in an off way, it overpowers the hops and you get this strange mishmash of hop and tea that does not meld in my opinion. There are odd off citrus notes and green tea tannic dryness that is off putting. Not a fan of this one. Sorry Stone!

Overall: It just did not work for me, its a yin yang of sorts, the aroma is great, but the taste is just bad. The flavors they were trying to combine are not suited to be amalgamated with one another. So, that is where my rankings come in. Smells good tastes bad! (1,344 characters)

27th Review
Bottle to Dark Lord (mini) snifter.
2011 Collaboration

L: Hazy tan with a hint of orange. 1+ fingernail head on gentle pour.

S: Herbal aromas with a hint of fresh hop. Slight scent of boozy, but nice.

T: Sweet and smooth...well-balanced malt, straight to hops. Piney and earthy. Tea does not come out too much, but that is okay here. I like what they are going for, but it is missing something. Maybe not quite a DIPA as they suggest.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Enjoyable.

O: A very interesting beer with a well-rounded character. I enjoy what they are going for, but - as previously mentioned - it is missing something. (649 characters)

A:
This beer pours a light orange color, which seems great until I notice a bunch of floaty gunk in it. This is weird because I"m always careful when pouring so as to not get yeast sediment. Possibly a side effect from the green tea, but I'm not a fan. Pours a nice head, which dissipates rather quickly leaving no lacing.

S:
Lots of green tea in the aroma, with a slightly piney hop character

T:
Herbs, tea, and bitterness. It has the telltale bittering profile of a Stone beer, but the tea does something that my palate just isn't into. It's a tiny bit sweet, with an orange chatacter which is pleasant. Additionally it has abit of an alcoholic burn to it.

M:
Decent mouthfeel with nice carbonation

Overall:
I didn't like this beer nearly as much as I thought I would. it seemed like a great idea and I couldn't wait to try it, but I feel like the idea was better than the execution. Regardless, it's for a good cause so I feel good about that anyway.

Serving type: 12 oz bottle (985 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

From notes 8/2/11. Pours a nice amber that starts sorta cloudy but very fine sediment quickly settles out. Small off-white head. Aroma is pineapple, mango, kiwi, pine resin, honeysuckle, caramel and a very floral green tea note. I wish the green tea was stronger because I’m mostly getting a standard pine resin tinged with tropical fruits and backed up by caramel IPA smell. Taste has more tea presence, but it’s mostly felt as a tannic note in the finish. Otherwise, the flavor is mildly dry with a big pine resin bitterness. Mouthfeel is pretty standard for an IPA, except for those tannic edges. It’s a decent DIPA, but I wish that they had tried to push the boundaries a bit more. The green tea flavor is mild compared to the big hop presence. While I didn't dislike this beer, this is a tough category. (814 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

A-Pours hazy copper with a thin, brilliant white head. Minimal soapy lacing.

S-Hop profile reminds me of the Stone 14th Anniversary. Grapefruit, tangerine skins, marijuana, leather.

T/M-Dry, mouth coating tannins, probably as attributable to the tea as the hops. One dimensionally bitter. There's a faint earthiness that has the potential to be interesting, but it steamrolled by dry bitterness. Gets to be too much after awhile. Medium bodied with moderate/low carbonation and a puckeringly dry mouthfeel.

O-One and done. (526 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18%

A: Pours a very cloudy, murky, opaque golden orange color. A two finger bubbly white head forms at first, but recedes to a ring. Not much lace is left behind.
S: Herbal, citrus, and floral hops. Tangy and zesty lemon grass. A large, but enjoyable hop aroma with some biscuit malts balancing everything out towards the end. Very nice.
T: The nose is very misleading. Citrus, grapefruit, lemon hops are big with a bitterness that prevails throughout. Dank hops, and very medicinal. Mold wood, light biscuit, a lingering bitterness and hot alcohol in the back of the throat. This is a mess, and nothing meshes right.
M/D: A medium body that is a bit under carbonated. This needs to be a lot cleaner and much more crisp. Hot alcohol and a mismatch of flavors makes this hard to finish.

I really enjoyed the nose, but other than that this is a big mess. Like most other Stone beers. Not something I will come back to. (914 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A-Pours bright amber in color. Half finger head retains well. Leaves patchy lacing. An insane amount of floating sediment. Not necessarily a detractor.

S-Slight whiffs of citrus, ginger, a bit of pine, sweet tea and ginger. The nose is not overwhelming. It is slightly perfumey and aromatic.

T-The tea comes through in an odd way. The flavors seem to interact poorly with one another. The overall flavor is not awful but it does not make me really want to finish the glass. Same components as in the nose but they work together oddly on my palate.

M-Slick and smooth. Medium carbonation. Feel is a bit off like the flavor.

O/D-Happy this was not an overly expensive 12 oz. coming in at $3.29. Flavor was awkward. Not a big fan. Its okay though, because Stone's 15th Anniversary brew is excellent. (800 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy, not quite translucent, orangeish gold-yellow color with about a half-inch of white head that had moderate retention and light lacing.

The aroma was kinda of a mash-up of scents, some hops, some spices that I couldn't put my finger on, some citrus and no noticeable tea. The flavors were a similar story. A lot going on and, except for some sharp hop flavors, nothing standing out from the crowd. I didn't get much of a malt background.

The body was nice and crisp, perhaps a touch fuller than average. Drinkability was very good, especially for a brew this strong, my bottle went down very easily. Overall, this was a nice brew. I was hoping for a stronger tea taste and wondered how it would play off the hops. I'll have to find another green tea beer to find out.

Overall, a very nice brew that's worth a shot if you see it. At $3.50 for a 12oz bottle, I probably won't buy another, but I'll certainly have it if I see it on tap. (984 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a clearish brown bottle into a snifter glass. There's a lengthy description of, well, something, but as it is all in Japanese kanji, I can't read a word of it! What few words there are in English indicate that this is a bottle conditioned brew which should not be aged.

Pours a dull copper color, with evident sediment swirling beneath a diminishing white, frothy head that has the appearance of sea-foam left on the sand after the wave has retreated to the sea.

Smells as if the green tea was made of pine needles! Very pine-forward on the nose, with notes of grapefruit, resin, and mild floral. The astringent aroma begins to die down as the beer settles and the head reduces to a thin lid.

This starts off so astringent it is like solvent; could this be the taste of varnish? What little malt there is has a honey sweetness, but it is buried beneath a tsunami of taste-bud stripping hop resin. The back end of this has a more oaty, herbal feel which could be the green tea. Honestly, however, this is really nothing more than a one-note hop bitter.

Medium bodied, harsh, astringent, dry and bitter; suck on a lemon peel for a similar experience mouthfeel-wise.

While I am a huge fan of Stone Brewing, and applaud their aggressive use of hops and their experimental collaborations, I've got to say this one has proven too much for me. Unless your idea of a good IPA is the feeling, rather than the taste, of bitter, you may want to take a pass on this brew. (1,476 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17%

12oz bottle shared with Klym.

Poured into Stone Nonics.

A: Orange tinted ciders with quite a few floaties. A respectable 1 and a half finger head. Micro fiber white soap sud film covers the top of the beer. Large pulpy floaties stick in the glass, giving the appearance of unfiltered orange zested jello.

S: A really strange phenolic/plastic note where I am taken to the realm of light sunscreens. There's a bit of an off chemical component tot he nose that gives me the shakes. Potent hops ages on some orange rinds. An aged tea smell that takes me to dry hopped composts. Funky, but enough hops beats out most of the off citrus cleaner notes.

T: A slight taste of nori that gives into dry hops. Very mellow flavors that are a relief from the harsher nose. I get a really nice transitional flavor of seaweed fining towards spiced camomile green teas. Some coriander and green tea blends with the hops for an unusual and pleasant linger. The notes of chemical cleaners are realized to be closer to teas in the flavor.

M: I think this mouth is a bit tricky, in that the perception of the flavor will make you believe it to be one end of the spectrum or the other. If you get more tea than chemicals out of the flavor notes, then you will think it to be fuller-bodied. But for me, I see this as a very watery light body for a DIPA. The alcohol doesn't give a heavy wetness, but I suspect that the difficulty of integrating the tea flavor into the beer made for a compromise in the mouth. It is very tea like, but perhaps so much so that it's a compromise to the IPA style.

O: There are some decent unusual flavors here, but I have to believe the ingredients made this a difficult brewing process. The mouth-feel didn't quite make the cut. Even the tea itself came off a bit too funky and mellowing. It was almost like there was a discrepancy in the age of the teas and the age of the hops. The tea seemed to carry more flavors of its container than it did its leaves. The combination of hops and teas did save the flavor a bit, as they made for a nice juxtaposition. This was an interesting experiment, but there isn't enough here to encourage me to seek a refill. (2,170 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into my DFH Snifter

A--A mellow orange with a white foamy head with mild bubbles. The head dissipated quickly, but a ring remained around the glass throughout. No lacing on the side of the glass.

S--Green tea leaves, spice, bitter hops. There's a bit of an orange peel and other citrus sweetness, but it is well hidden.

T--Hops are present up front. It hits the tongue with that bitterness I love from Stone brews. Then the tongue is left with a funky green tea taste this is to be expected. Overall, the taste is very dry. Spicy, dry, and tea-like are the best ways to describe it.

M--Medium bodied with very little carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry. I can feel the tongue drying up with each sip.

O--This is an okay brew from Stone, but with the number of amazing IPAs they make, this will not be something I will actively search out. Glad I got to try it though. (899 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: an initial head of a finger thick, falls to a halo with some very thin layer spots. Body is, I'm guessing chill haze clouded yellow with a tint of orange.
S: I actually recognize green tea, a lot of it, lighter pine hop, overall aroma is lightly sweetened green tea.
T: I'm not used to tea in beer but first noticed is green tea, a little bit piny. I will say I think this more of a hybrid style but not bitter enough to be an IPA. Some of the leafy green flavors do come through, this may as well be a green tea ale. I dontg like slamming stone or collaborations but this isn't purely an IPA.
M: its smooth low carbonation, lingers long.
O: I will retaste this, maybe re-review but not really an IPA in the purest sense. I can't say I don't like this, it is very good just not what I was expecting. (806 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

I was pretty excited to try this beer. I love the cross-Pacific collaboration, especially for an honorable purpose. I used to be a bit of a tea afficianado, so this will be interesting to analyze.

The bottle is very well illustrated, with lots of chunky floating yeast near the bottom of the bottle. Luckily I was able to pour most of it without dumping a bunch of yeast into my glass.

The beer is a nice brassy color, which produces a nice white head.

Smells hopped up, but the sencha is very faint, if there at all. In fact, without foreknowledge I doubt I'd have guessed tea were a component at all. Disappointing. The hops are floral with some lemon and grassy attributes. The malt is pretty pronounced as well. A bit crackery and dry.

As far as the taste goes, the hops open up quite bitter. Yay! Stone once more has proven they can over-hop a beer. Alcohol provides a bite, and once more the malt is a bit obtrusive. Herbal hops mingle with the sencha green tea. The tea has that characteristic soft bitter herbal quality, a little toasted. But the dry hopping was not sufficient to release all that the tea has to offer. The true green tea flavors and warm sencha nuttiness fail to complete the experience... the tea ought to have been boiled as well.

Light body, overly boozy. This was a very cool beer in theory, but Stone had to go and muck it up with candi sugar for some reason, and too many hops, all competing with the delicate tea. Baird, Ishii, please brew a version of this on your own. I'd love to see this beer made with the passion and tradition the Japanese can bring to the tea component without the American urge to add extra bitterness and alcohol. (1,678 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Stone Japanese, 12-oz bottle bought at New Beer in Manhattan for $3.25.

Appearance: Served in my Sierra snifter, Green Tea pours a hazy orange color (sort of bourbon on the rocks after the ice melts). A solid-white head that dies almost right away, leaving only a rim around the glass. Absolutely no lacing, retention; almost no carbonation.

Smell: Nice aromatic tea, herbs and then citrus and tropics. Slightly funky and sweet, like a tea-flavored bubblegum. Cooked sticky hops.

Taste: More tea, medicinal flavor, herbs, Sleepytime and chamomile. A monastic garden... incredibly dry finish. Tangy bitter hops around the mouth. Weird.

Mouthfeel: Disappointingly thin and transparent. Under-carbonated, underwhelming. Super tart, sharp and dry, it sticks to my teeth like Coca-Cola. A weird, not-so-pleasant feeling. Double IPA?? Nooo...

Overall: Nice little experiment that doesn't quite work. I can't even imagine how they packed 9.2% ABV in this rather flavorless, slightly boring brew. Drinkable? Sure. No trace of the booze. But... (1,043 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle courtesy of Randy. Thanks homey! Poured into my new Russian River Tulip also courtesy of Randy! Looks pretty darn good here. Pours hazy golden straw with a hint of an orange hue with about an inch of fluffy white head.

Floral aromas come through with a little bit of fruit. I'd immagine that's from the tea (which I think was sencha, however I'm not excactly a tea connesour so that won't make much of a difference if it was anything else). A little bit of hops in the nose, but it's mellow and I think overwhelmed by tea aromas. I get it. It's a green tea IPA but it's still an IPA so I'd be happier with a little more. Full of herbal flavors on the pallet with a little bit of candy orange and some bitter hops to finish. Seems to have a little bit of mint in the background.

Medium body with good carbonation. A minty finish lingers. I guess this is what I would expect it to be. I was hoping to like it a bit more though. I'll enjoy this and let's face it, this one is for a good cause. (1,000 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a peachy golden color with a thick head that dissipates to a thin ring. Good lacing, but with a lot, and I mean a lot, of floating sediment.

S - Very herbal. I smell citrus hops along with mint/tea flavors.

T - A little sweet, noticeable citrus hops flavor with a caramel malt backbone. I can tell the green tea flavors are there, but they compliment the hop and malt flavors instead of standing on their own. Relatively tasty, but it tastes a little bit unusual (because of the tea flavors, I presume)

M - Medium bodied, a bit chewy with a dry, bitter finish.

O - I was a little underwhelmed by the Green Tea IPA. It was sort of all over the map and wasn't as good as I had hoped (I had high hopes since it came from Stone). It is distinctive, but I'd take a regular IPA any day. It's a bit pricey ($3.99 for a 12 oz. bottle), but since it's for charity, I won't complain. It's worth a try, but I won't be clamoring for it to make a return to the lineup. (970 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

A- Thin white head into a tulip. Beer is a light orange. A swirl leave some alcohol legs, Minimal lacing.

S- Citrus mainly.

T- Nearly no sweetness, taste is predominately "green"/floral hops with the green tea aspect only rearing its head in the aftertaste. Well hidden alcohol.

M- Very well carbonated. Feels good on the tongue, Probably the best characteristic of this beer,

D/O- Kind of a novelty more than anything else. Hard to believe the collaborators were left with the exact flavor profile they were going for...not mention anyone buying this a second time at $5 a bottle.

Next day note: Just read that the proceeds went to the Japanese earthquake/tsunami victims and now I kind of feel bad for reviewing it harshly. BUY THIS BEER ONCE. (750 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, glowing orange-yellow body loaded with a lot of suspended particulate matter. Minimalist head.

Aroma is very weak, with faint notes of lemon and honey. However, the flavor is quite unique. Fruity gummy worms and grapefruit flavored cough drops are followed by bitter green tea notes. The flavor is all up front. It dissipates rather quickly after you sample it, and then you forget what the beer tasted like until you take another sip and are immediately hit with that familiar, fruity blast of candy, citrus, and bitter green tea.

Smooth in the beginning with more bitterness and alcohol burn surfacing on the finish. Could be a lot better (especially for the price) but it's by no means horrible. There's something here for sure, but it's far from being perfected. I certainly wouldn't call this a Double IPA though. If you're expecting that style here, you will be severely let down. (896 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

This bed actually looks like green tea with some carbonation and a good amount of floaties in it. The smell is heavy with tea notes and fruity hops. The taste is extremely tea like with the hop flavor and bitter SSS almost being a back note there is very little if any malt present. Mouthfeel was low carbonation light bodied but not dry. Maybe the non dry feeling is a side effect of the tea. This beer is interesting but I would not buy another bottle. (454 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Deep, cloudy orange, with a frothy one-finger head. With that cloudiness it could pass for a Hefe. The smell is not too impressive. It seems like this is going to be more on the malty side as I get some sweetness and only faint hops. Perhaps some alcohol fume also.

The taste has a very citrusy character with an almost minty spiciness. There is a grapefruit/melon tangy sweetness throughout with a modest bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is well disguised. The mouthfeel seems a bit watery, likely due to the carbonation being a bit too subtle.

This IPA has a unique flavor, though the addition of green tea is not readlily discernable to me. It's also too sweet for my liking. I suppose that is the tendency when it's over 8% ABV, perhaps this would have been more interesting as a single IPA. I imagine that would allow the green tea character to shine through better also. If the price tag were lower I would say it's worth a try... (940 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz. bottle shared with beer homey in The Big, 8.22.11 poured into wine tumbler.

Half a finger white head, pretty quick dissipation with minimal lacing. Orange amber clear body multiple streams of visible carbonation. I thought the nose was very vegetal, while the tea aromas were present had a hard time deciphering much in the way of hops. Taste mirrors nose, green tea up front then a heavy, rather unpleasant vegetal body, some floral hops more present than in the nose. Mouthfeel pretty full, alcohol quite noticeable. I appreciate that proceeds are going to charity, but this beer isn't one I look forward to having again. Pass. (637 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

I like my Green Tea, and I like my IPA's, yet the combination seems a bit curious however. This beer pours a hazed golden orange in color with some interesting floaties amid the boil of carbonation. Half an inch of white foam offered moderate retention.

Offers a light citric aroma with a background hint of earthy leather, tea leaf and some 'intriguing' yeast notes. Pleasant though uninspiring overall.

Citric notes carry to the flavor and offer a well balanced yet not in your face bitterness. A light orange bitterness segues to a sweet and oily middle, yet then allows for a drying tea like finish. Notes of orange/tangelo exist throughout the palette.

Interesting though odd brew. The pucker of the tea does balance with the residual sweetness of the beer to disguise the 9% in a mysterious way. Yet overall it's a bit of a stray cat. (843 characters)

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.