Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,341 | Reviews: 515
3.46/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know why I ordered this. I hate green tea.
Ignore this review.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beautiful and very unique IPA! THANK YOU AGAIN, STONE!

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really love anything that Stone puts out. However this is a take or leave it.
Red ale with a nice white big foamy head.
Hops 101- almost to the point of bitter- no green tea notes detached
Very bubbly carbonation!

I love all things IPA but I was looking for a tea sweet note and felt it was missed. Glad I got to try it at EBF instead of buying a bottle

4.98/5  rDev +27%

Keg of 2015 green tea ipa drank ( best NA beer titleholder)

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Everyone knows I love a crazy style of beer. I love green tea and I love beer, so this was a must try when I found it. Off of the pour, I got a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. It had quite the bit of carbonation. The smell is where I started to doubt this beer a bit. It had an odor that I personally didn't like. It confused my nose to what was actually going on in the brew. I got tea and sour hops off the nose. The the taste was also kind of close to the smell. I got the strong taste of tea and very harsh hops. The hops were almost too harsh or sour in my opinion. I think this was a nice idea for a brew and the rating I have it is based upon the fact that I give them credit for using such off centered ingredients. But this was not one of my favorites. Drinkable but not as enjoyable as I would have hoped for.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE - 3FH, opaque, carbonation, light, hazy.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, sweet.

TASTE - Hops, bitter, pine.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Carbonation, dry, bubbly, clean, effervescent, crisp.

VALUE - $8 for 8-oz draft. Why so little?

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - The tea is hardly noticeable, but probably makes it drier and crisper. ABV well-hidden.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't like IPAs, but I love green tea. This had a strong green tea flavor and was tasty. However, I don't like IPAs and the bitterness was hard to overcome. I liked the beer because it was crystal clear like a cider, fizzy in my mouth, and the color was phenomenal. I just don't like IPAs unfortunately!

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bomber into a snifter

Appearance – The beer pours a very hazy medium golden orange color with a one finger head of white foam. The head has a great level of retention, very slowly fading over time and leaving a fantastic level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heavy of a green tea smell mixed with some other fruity notes of a tropical fruit and melon. Along with these aromas comes some other smells of a light bready nature with a moderate level of lemon rounding it all out.

Taste – The taste begins with a thicker bready taste mixed with a sweeter tropical fruit flavor. Along with these flavors comes a decent sum of grapefruit hop as well as some more grassy hop flavors. While the green tea flavor is a bit lighter upfront it gains quite a bit more potency as the taste moves onto the end. Along with the green tea coming on, some light grainy tastes come as well. All the while a little bit of earth comes to the tongue at the end, and with a lightening of the fruit and a slight drying of the biscuit, one is left with somewhat hoppy and “green” (both grassy and tea) flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather average for a 10.1 % brew with the carbonation level being on the slightly higher side for its strength. For the “green” and hoppier taste of the brew, the feel is decent as it makes for a good base for the drier tastes, all while accentuating the other flavors enough, but not too much.

Overall – A rather tasty, more “green” tasting IPA with a slightly more easy drinking feel. While good, not quite worth the price tag. A great one to try but not really one I would go to on a frequent occasion (that is if it was offered at all times.)

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Interesting.... This brew is a hazy yellow color with a big, puffy white head. The aroma is unique...florL, tea like, herbal, and strong. Boozy and sweet smelling. The flavor is balanced, and the IPA hop character comes forth more in the taste. Firm , assertive, and interesting.

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Fucking awesome double IPA regardless of how much you like green tea.

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Toronado - San Francisco, CA

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Deep dark gold with heavy bubbles on the body. The white head rose thick at first maybe 1/3" off the body...sticky lacing a bit un even but very delicious looking beer with it's slightly hazy body.

Smell: Heavy hops and yes tea. A little freaky if you ask me.

Taste: Complex taste and honestly and if this beer had a pinch of honey I would rate it a couple of points higher. The hops and malts are very evident, you take a sip and it's more than just a quench of thirst. Bitter but tea sweet minus the sugar. Mellow feel, with a citrus skin finish.

Mouth: Heavy feel, and carbonation in full effect. Problem I would have here is how sticky it is. Second problem I am not sure how many people would agree this is the best combo. Hard to judge so I leave my verdict in the middle.

Overall: Not bad at all, Not the best DIPA either but definitely worth my time. Drink up and enjoy...Salud!

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Green tea taste is prominent. High ABV is yielded by the aftertaste and bitterness. Not overly bitter. Not overly earthy. A very well balanced beer; especially on tap.

14oz Pilsner on tap
4/5
Definitely recommended.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

I bought this beer as a curiosity because even though Stone makes a lot of unique beers most of them are pretty good. I like green tea alright and I love IPA's so I figured this one would be interesting. I will say this one does not really work but then it does.

Appearance: Looks like a nice golden red IPA, with a little bit of head and some clarity and floating matter going on. I guess its the tea? This beer is not the freshest in the world but its certainly not old either at this point, so I assume that is a desirable feature.

Aroma: Lots of the tea aroma comes through, as a matter of fact I get very little hop characteristic at all. Bergamot and earthy green tea like aroma is dominant. It really does remind me of a cold brewed green tea drink more than beer.

Taste: This is where this beer loses ground. Tea is dominant and in an off way, it overpowers the hops and you get this strange mishmash of hop and tea that does not meld in my opinion. There are odd off citrus notes and green tea tannic dryness that is off putting. Not a fan of this one. Sorry Stone!

Overall: It just did not work for me, its a yin yang of sorts, the aroma is great, but the taste is just bad. The flavors they were trying to combine are not suited to be amalgamated with one another. So, that is where my rankings come in. Smells good tastes bad!

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA with a unique flavor that comes through from the tea. An interesting offering, and worth a try.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

Stone's IPA's are never dull and this is no exception. The tea flavor really stands out, almost to the point of pushing away the hoppiness. Alcohol is well hidden as well. This isn't something I'd go back to time and again, but wouldn't turn it down either.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2015 - pours a cloudy yellow orange color with a small off white head. There is a little lacing that is soapy and good carbonation. The odor is powerful, green tea indeed, tropical fruits, pineapple, orange, grapefruit, apricot, herbal, grassy. The taste is also green tea, herbal, grassy, earthy, citrus, lemon, grapefruit, pine. Bitter dry throughout.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Nothing too special here. I expected this beer to be more subtle than what I tasted and smelled. Green Tea isn't exactly a bold flavor and I wasn't sure how it would combine with the hopiness of an IPA coming in at 10.1% ABV. I thought they did a good job of balancing the strong malt and hop flavors in the beer, but I think the beer could have benefited from some stronger floral hoppy aromas. That being said the beer was very drinkable considering the ABV and I enjoyed it, but there was something missing that prevented this from being a great beer in my mind.

3.96/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy orange in color, with a little transparency, a ring for a head at the top, nothing major. Little lacing around the glass as you drink this one.

S: Nice tropical notes coming through, and some hint of biscuit, but the green tea is definitely prominent on the nose. Not overpowering but subtle.

T: Great flavors on this brew, I dont know why I waited so long to try this beer, the green tea is definitely noticeable but super balanced with the other flavors, nice malt backbone.

M: Medium/full bodied, slight carbonation, and well balanced.

O: This beer from Stone is definitely worth a try, great flavors especially if you like Green Tea, this is the beer for you, Thank you stone for putting out another good colab.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a Stone pint glass

A: Pours hazy golden amber with a frothy off white head that settles and laces well.

S: Green tea, herbal and light floral hops, caramel malt sweetness, and a touch fruity.

T: Floral and herbal hops along with green tea hit big up front, the tea does come out all the way through and lingers on the after taste. There's also some fruity and maybe even melon notes, definitely some peach, a touch of light citrus, all backed with rich caramel malt sweetness.

M: Medium to full body, moderate carbonation, a little warmth as it goes down.

O: File this one under "unique". I'm glad I got to try it, wish I had some sushi to go with it, but... Enjoyable, but not necessarily something I'd seek out again.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Light amber to dark gold in color with a hazy complexion. A quarter inch of off white head is present. Moderate Brussels lacing. The aroma is of the earthy hops. I barely detect any green tea aroma (and I have few variations on a regular basis). I taste the earthy hops which have a pineapple like sweetness. It seems initially tropically sweet and then finishes bitter but I think that is more hop related. Now as the beer warms a bit I can definite perceive the germ tea in the aroma and in the back of the palate. The mouth is fairly dry with a light stickiness. This does not seem like 10%!

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What a brew. The tea works great with the ipa hoppyness. Great combo.

2.66/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Smells lovely, like fresh brewed tea with citrus peel.But it tastes like soap and sweetened green tea. Very astringent and the green tea is overpowering. It's almost as if something was done to enhance the herbal, minty flavors of the tea without balancing it in relation to the the hops and malts.

I think I might like something like this (i.e., tea and beer combination) if it were on the lighter side (not trying to be a huge IPA). In Amsterdam, I had a pale ale blended with tea and it was refreshing.

This is just not my cup of tea.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Unusual but the green tea smell and taste works. It has a good malt/sweet backbone to support.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Head over hazy Amber body. Very good retention and nice lacing

S - not very aromatic hops and green tea

T - Big citrus in the floral hops upfront with syrupy sugary fruits. Almost cloying sweetness but nice herbal and hoppy aftertaste. Alcohol masked well with thick flavors.

M - medium full body with moderate fine carbonation. Thick and syrupy

O - this was great but may be difficult to drink a whole lot of.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.