Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 07-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev -52.2%

12oz bottle $3.99. I was hoping this would be good like so many Stone Collaborations but I could not stand this and it ended up going down the drain. Bright orange-yellow color, good head, looks good. Smell is odd, a bit oh hops and something totally foreign in an IPA. I like green tea but this was so completely dominated by it that I could not take it. It was just too herbal and "green". Yuck.

ArrogantB, Jul 29, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Couldn't find a date. Thanks to DarthKostrizer for the extra!

Pours a hazy golden orange with thin white head. Nose is kind of odd, like bitter orange peels and orange blossoms. Palate is bitter and citrusy. Bitter orange peel is big, astringent. Green tea powder comes to mind.

Not at all what I was expecting. The astringency is not great, and the green tea comes over in a weird way. Maybe it needs a bit to settle down?

SFLpunk, Jul 29, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Pours a tangerine orange with a one finger fizzy off white head that dissipates almost immediately. No lacing to be had here...

S - Nectarines, citrus fruits, earthly hops and green tea leaves. Picking up something else I can't quite put my finger on. There is alot going on here...

T - Various citrus fruits and the nectarine notes that came through in the scent up front followed by a good healthy dose of hops. Ends with gree tea and some lingering hop bitterenss. Hop prensence is actually pretty subdued for a Stone IPA. While it is not over the top, I am not a big fan of the addition of the tea.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Abv is well hidden. Pretty smooth...

O - The price is right on with this one, but I don't care for the tea presence. Not a bad brew by any means, and i'm glad I got a chance to try this, but not something that I would go out of my way to obtain...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Jul 28, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

A:
This beer pours a light orange color, which seems great until I notice a bunch of floaty gunk in it. This is weird because I"m always careful when pouring so as to not get yeast sediment. Possibly a side effect from the green tea, but I'm not a fan. Pours a nice head, which dissipates rather quickly leaving no lacing.

S:
Lots of green tea in the aroma, with a slightly piney hop character

T:
Herbs, tea, and bitterness. It has the telltale bittering profile of a Stone beer, but the tea does something that my palate just isn't into. It's a tiny bit sweet, with an orange chatacter which is pleasant. Additionally it has abit of an alcoholic burn to it.

M:
Decent mouthfeel with nice carbonation

Overall:
I didn't like this beer nearly as much as I thought I would. it seemed like a great idea and I couldn't wait to try it, but I feel like the idea was better than the execution. Regardless, it's for a good cause so I feel good about that anyway.

Serving type: 12 oz bottle

dannyancient, Jul 28, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a nice orange with a nice fluffy head. But the smell... is urine. No green tea (and I've had far more than my fair share of green tea). Perhaps a vague hop aroma, perhaps a hint of booze, not even Simcoe cat piss, just... "maybe I should drink more water" pee.

If you can get past the smell, it tastes fine. A little too boozy for me, a little too bittered for my palate (like most of Stone's brews), but tastes pretty average. Pretty nice mouthfeel.

Makes me wonder if I have a bad bottle. I've heard good things - some rave reviews, but even "like Stone IPA plus green tea" sounds incredibly delicious to me. Bummer.

lisomiso, Jul 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle courtesy of Randy. Thanks homey! Poured into my new Russian River Tulip also courtesy of Randy! Looks pretty darn good here. Pours hazy golden straw with a hint of an orange hue with about an inch of fluffy white head.

Floral aromas come through with a little bit of fruit. I'd immagine that's from the tea (which I think was sencha, however I'm not excactly a tea connesour so that won't make much of a difference if it was anything else). A little bit of hops in the nose, but it's mellow and I think overwhelmed by tea aromas. I get it. It's a green tea IPA but it's still an IPA so I'd be happier with a little more. Full of herbal flavors on the pallet with a little bit of candy orange and some bitter hops to finish. Seems to have a little bit of mint in the background.

Medium body with good carbonation. A minty finish lingers. I guess this is what I would expect it to be. I was hoping to like it a bit more though. I'll enjoy this and let's face it, this one is for a good cause.

Bendurgin, Jul 27, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Enjoyed on-cask @ Stone's Bistro & Garden in Escondido, CA for $4. Poured into an 8oz Tulip Glass and proceeds go to the Tsunami Relief in Japan.

Aroma- Hints of green tea from the beginning but huge earthy and citrus hop aroma.

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger head that has good retention and leaves good lace. Has a light, reddish copper body and it clear.

Flavor- Very complexed flavor including citrus hops and then has a high bitterness at the finish. The Green Tea flavor is not evident here but has good balance between malt and hops.

Mouthfeel- Medium+ Body, High Carbonation, Smooth, and has nice alcohol warming. Still no big signs of this green tea.

Overall Impression- A great 2X IPA but lacks with the Green Tea flavor... I was hoping there was more of this but the citrus hop and high alcohol presence kept it from coming out. Sweet, huge hops, and perfect for the style. Usually when I see something special (in this one, Green Tea), I am looking for these attributes and they should be here! Would definitely recommend! Bringing some of this back in bottles.

DCon, Jul 26, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Hazy orange, amber color. One finger of tight white foam which recedes leaving a bit of lacing.

S- Aroma of citrusy hops and something else. The tea? It's rather faint and doesn't really distinguish itself over the hops.

T- Wow! Different. Initial assault of acidic bitterness followed by a strong green tea flavor. Not much of a malt backbone to stand up to the intense bitterness. Grapefruit rind continues through the finish and into the aftertaste. Green tea lingers on the palate.

M- Feel is light and refreshing with a fairly effervescent level of carbonation.

O- A very "outside the box" effort from Stone, Baird and Ishii. The unconventional hop profile and use of green tea result in a unique take on the style. Enjoyed it.

Sideswipe, Jul 26, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

poured into a tulip glass, color is a light goldish yellow, the head quickly fades but foams back up upon stirring. I'd say the tea is noticible in small amounts in the aroma and flavor, and overall the beer is crisp and light, and hides the 9.2% very well. This is a very tasty IPA with just a hint of the green tea.

tripelhops, Jul 26, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Received in trade from cousin, DCon.
Poured 12oz bottle into pint glass.
No bottled-on date, but description on back of bottle says May 2011.

Aroma: Pine resin, very faint fresh-roasted green tea leaves, honey sweetness, and some tropical hop notes as the beer warms.

Appearance: Two fingers of off-white head settle to one, with very light lacing. Hazy, yet beautiful deep orange-gold peach nectar color.

Flavor: Similar to initial aroma characteristics. Some very subtle green tea noted toward the finish. Surprisingly light and subdued for an IPA. (Especially for something that Stone has its name on!)

Mouthfeel: MUCH lighter than anticipated. Medium CO2. Definite green tea tannins on the tongue after the finish.

Overall: Very light and sessionable. Delicious hop notes, with refreshingly toned-down bitterness compared to Stone's other brews. No bitter bite at the end. Either the green tea flavor melds extremely well with the hops, or is almost completely overshadowed. It was definitely an enjoyable brew, but I would have enjoyed even more with more pronounced green tea flavor. It's likely that the brewers were careful to not go too overboard in order to avoid too many tannins in the final product.

mdvatab, Jul 26, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -1%

The beer is surprisingly orange in the glass, I expected something thinner and more yellow for some reason. The fizzy head puffs up then disappears. There is some haze and lots of floating yeasties (which I don't mind). The tea is pretty subtle--noticeable in the aroma and just detectable in the taste alongside the herbal hops--I might have liked to have a bit more tea. The malt is nice and sweet, so this is a well-balanced IPA. I'm happy to contribute to tsunami relief and happy to encourage brewers to get engaged the way the collaborators did with this brew. Cheers to them!

PhiloPsych, Jul 25, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -7%

Got a bottle of this at Whole Foods, and happy to support the cause.

A: Very nice honey color, lots of sediment in the glass, but not the usual dusty variety, this is much larger and interesting. Almost no head. Thick lacing along the sides.

S: Smells nice, hops, grains and citrus, but the tea aromas are definitely there, its actually a really nice and appealing nose.

T: Taste is pretty good, fairly standard for an IPA but does have some unusual flavors. The tea is there, but its also some other things, something tangy that I can't put my finger on. Honestly, the tea doesn't really compliment the beer, but it doesn't make it worse, just kinda there.

M: A bit more bitter than usual and leaves an odd taste behind that is a bit uncomfortable. It's smooth and full bodied at the least.

O: All in all its not bad, worth checking out but I doubt it will be something to rave about. I could see myself buying more of this just to support the Japanese relief effort but not really for the best beer around.

kevanb, Jul 25, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Another beer in Stone's collaboration series, I tasted this 12oz bottle in a New Belgium snifter.

A - Pours a light copper with about 1" of white head.

S - Piney, some citrus, apricot, light tea.

T - Tastes like Stone IPA, but with some tannins and slight green tea undertones. Finishes dry from the tea.

M - Dry, medium carbonation. Nothing special.

Overall, a good green tea DIPA. I would have expected more tea-ness, but for $3 it's something I will be picking up again.

Cinderbike, Jul 23, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

RR 'tion glass.

Pours a pale gold with about a finger of bright white foam, decent retention and minimal lacing. Looks like some sediment is suspended in the beer; I'm guessing tea leaves. Bright citrus (orange and apricot) and piney hop smell, gunpowder green tea, with some malt in the secondary. Not too far from a Stone IPA with green tea undertone. Taste is more balanced between the hops and tea, with moderately bitter hop and tannic finish. Moderate carbonation and medium body. I can't really pick up the alcohol, which is pretty damn impressive. Overall, this was quite refreshing and an easy drinker. I'm a big fan of tea, and I think the idea here is a promising one.

pmarlowe, Jul 23, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my stone pint glass...

A-Pours a cloudy orange hue with a 2 finger off white head that dissipates to little or no head with minimal lacing...

S-Green tea with citrus and floral notes like orange and lemon and some herbal like notes as well...

T-Very interesting, green tea right up front with an orange mid malt and more green tea dry hops finish...very unusual taste about it...towards the end had to force it down a bit because the green tea and chemical like taste was to much...

M-Very thin or light bodied, has a dry hops green tea lingering taste...I get a chemical taste out of the mouth on this, very unpleasant...

O-A nice collaboration and great idea but i was not impressed with this brew to much, I'm just glad the profits go to a good cause...i could say i will not be drinking this one again...

DrinkThemAll, Jul 23, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

poured from 12 oz bottle. Vibrant apricot in color, 2-3 fingers of bright white head, no lacing. Murky with light floating sediment.

Aromas of floral hops, citrus, fruity esters. Not much hop profile on the nose.

The green tea shows up as a very nice apricot flavor on the front end. Nectar sweetness with bold hop finish. 9.2 abv well hidden.

Light body mouthfeel, flavors well blended, drinks very well.

Siggy125, Jul 23, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a hazy honey orange color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that fades to a thin film. Thin rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of spicy herbal and citrus zest hops. I do not really get any green tea aromas from this beer. Taste is of fresh herbal and citrus zest hops, green tea leaves, alcohol, and slight malt breaking through. There is a medium hop bitterness after each sip and the green tea shows up moreso on the aftertaste. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Slight alcohol burn is present too. Overall, I am very impressed with this collaboration beer from Stone/Baird/Iishi. Great hop and green tea flavors combine very well for something different you don't find every day in a beer.

UCLABrewN84, Jul 22, 2011

A: pours a cloudy orange hue, with good head retention. a bottle conditioned beer that might have got roused up during distribution, should settle out if left in fridge for a few days.
S: im getting a nice mellow tea aroma coming through as the glass warms up, more like chamomille than green tea. grassiness and green tea is more evident as it warms up.
T: nice herbal taste, hop bittering is not as aggressive as ruination or ipa, lingers in the aftertaste, the green tea might be contributing to the bittering of this beer.
M: carbonation is moderate, medium bodied beer, you wouldnt expect to be drinking a double ipa from the intial mouthfeel.
Overall a great beer, im getting a similar impression to drinking a double ipa brewed with honey. most likely due to the floral aromatics.

xraided81, Jul 22, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Stone Green Tea Collaboration IPA 9.3% abv

A: Bright orange huges with gold tones at the edges. There is minimal lacing and moderate carbonation. No middle carbonation.

S: Big hop nose to it with citra and Amarillo, grapefruit rind and lemon zest. Lots of herbal backing but predominately Pliny/Sculpin-esque juiciness. Really great smell to this. It is akin to a refined ruination.

T: There is a slight juiciness but a sharp crispness to it on the herbal note. It isn’t quite pine but it has a distinct grassiness to it. The tea notes are very faint but present. If the taste stuck to the aromatic lines it would have been exceptional, however, it is a bit divergent once you actually taste it. With all due respect to the victims of the psunami, the tea seems a bit out of place.

M: The mouthfeel is thin and crisp, on point with the style and very reminiscent of the regular Stone IPA with less maltiness. Hardly any coating is present but that is a good thing given the juicy and herbal notes. If a huge malt backbone were present it would be distracting.

D: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer, with the proviso that you must enjoy the herbal notes going on. If the grassy bite does not turn you away, this could easily become your session beer. The high abv is not noticeable at all and leaves nothing to be desired for back to back drinking.
Narrative: The rocking of the vessel in the Atlantic was rhythmic at times, and maddening at others. Cameron Brackish wondered if his profession was a bit out of place in this modern bustling economy, however, that blast of crisp ocean spray in his face won him over more so than any woman ever could. “Sir! The cargo of Darjeeling has come unfastened, I-” Mr. Brackish threw up a single threadbare palm and deftly gripped the thick rope and descended into the galley to inspect the tea shipment. There was the stank odor of sopping wet tea leaves, mixing with the misty air, creating a chokingly herbal intoxicating air. “Calibrate the GPS to embrace all headwinds!” He called to his first mate. Life was hard when you refused to embrace modern technology and embraced antiquated professions. “WE NEED TO GET THIS EARLY GREY TO INDIAN PORTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!” It certainly was no tea party.

SubpoenaDeuces, Jul 22, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Fairly mirky golden-orange color with a short off white and low retention.

Nice nose with notes of light grapefruit, orange peel, herbal tea and floral notes.

Good balance. Caramel malt and nice floral hop flavor notes and almost a sweet candy aftertaste. No noticeable green tea notes.

Medium bodied, crisp and good carbonation.

Overall this was a much better beer than I had expected. I really didn't get any green tea notes like I was told I would. But I am glad cuz I hate green tea. You also would never know it's a pleasant 9.2% abv.

MrVonzipper, Jul 20, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

12oz bottle shared with Klym.

Poured into Stone Nonics.

A: Orange tinted ciders with quite a few floaties. A respectable 1 and a half finger head. Micro fiber white soap sud film covers the top of the beer. Large pulpy floaties stick in the glass, giving the appearance of unfiltered orange zested jello.

S: A really strange phenolic/plastic note where I am taken to the realm of light sunscreens. There's a bit of an off chemical component tot he nose that gives me the shakes. Potent hops ages on some orange rinds. An aged tea smell that takes me to dry hopped composts. Funky, but enough hops beats out most of the off citrus cleaner notes.

T: A slight taste of nori that gives into dry hops. Very mellow flavors that are a relief from the harsher nose. I get a really nice transitional flavor of seaweed fining towards spiced camomile green teas. Some coriander and green tea blends with the hops for an unusual and pleasant linger. The notes of chemical cleaners are realized to be closer to teas in the flavor.

M: I think this mouth is a bit tricky, in that the perception of the flavor will make you believe it to be one end of the spectrum or the other. If you get more tea than chemicals out of the flavor notes, then you will think it to be fuller-bodied. But for me, I see this as a very watery light body for a DIPA. The alcohol doesn't give a heavy wetness, but I suspect that the difficulty of integrating the tea flavor into the beer made for a compromise in the mouth. It is very tea like, but perhaps so much so that it's a compromise to the IPA style.

O: There are some decent unusual flavors here, but I have to believe the ingredients made this a difficult brewing process. The mouth-feel didn't quite make the cut. Even the tea itself came off a bit too funky and mellowing. It was almost like there was a discrepancy in the age of the teas and the age of the hops. The tea seemed to carry more flavors of its container than it did its leaves. The combination of hops and teas did save the flavor a bit, as they made for a nice juxtaposition. This was an interesting experiment, but there isn't enough here to encourage me to seek a refill.

Cavery, Jul 20, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

Look: pours a orangish yellow color with a 1/4 inch bubbly head and no retention

Smell: Traces of green tea mixed with citrus and piney hops are prevalent and a little bit of lemon

Taste: Almost taste like some sort of cold tea you drink when you are sick. Hints of lemon are all over the place and that typical hoppy note that stone is famous for

Mouthfeel: Light body and high carbonation and a bit of a dry after taste

Overall: Not really my cup of tea BAAA ZINNNNGGG. It has a decent drinkability expecially in the summer time and I am sure alot of people will be a fan of this one but just not me

DarthKostrizer, Jul 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a stone nonic. Shared with Cavery.

A: A deeper golden body with a 1 finger white head that dies down to about 1cm and stays there. The most striking thing about the body is that there are floaties that stay entirely in place-- they don't move around at all. It makes the body look like a jelly, pretty bizarre, but interesting.

S: Major floral character to this, the most I've gotten from an IPA/DIPA. A little grass and buckwheat, and plenty of aromatic hops. This smells quite different and really great.

T: Tons of up front floral sweetness, almost like a flower-flavored jello. A nice roof-of-the-mouth hopburn comes in and greentea/buckwheat blooms out in a vapor like taste that simmers down with a hibiscus/honey sweetness. Absolutely no alcohol detectable for me, which is impressive given the ABV. Again, this is quite distinct from any DIPA I've had and I really enjoyed it.

M: Medium-heavy for a DIPA. At times an almost jelly like mouthfeel, but I thought it somehow complimented the beer well. Would probably be harder to knock too many of these back compared to most DIPAs, but for a single glass I thought the mouthfeel did the beer well.

O: I'm really sad that this is a special collaboration and not a year-round release. This DIPA was very different to me and captured huge floral character, far more than I've seen any other DIPA even touch. On top of that, they did a nice job of getting their focused ingredient, green tea, to come out in the flavor. The green tea came off very high quality and natural too, not like your typical sweetened up green powder or green tea flavored ice cream type thing. Loving this beer more than I expected to, hope I can get more to enjoy this again.

Klym, Jul 20, 2011

Tasted July 14th 2011 (from notes)

A - crisp orange/copper, two finger white head and a bit of lacing

S - flowers, Herbs, tea bags, tons of hops, nice malt, crisp, fresh and just awesome smelling

T - flowers, alcohol, hops (both high octane), toasted, lots of malt, funky yeast, some tea, citrus, passion fruit, fresh everything, crisp and lots of herbs

M - huge body, medium acidity, nice bitterness, huge complexity, well balanced and very crisp

D - drinks huge, lots of bitter, nice alcohol, tons of flavor, nicely complex, crisp, silky, lots of herbs and flowers. Just a great beer, just watch out for the crazy bitter

Final thought - get this while you can! 9.2 ABV and only $3 a bottle, yes!

whatthehull, Jul 20, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a thick, full apricot with blond highlights and big chunky floaters. Beer in the raw.

Aroma is etheareal – mint, pure, raw hop cones, sweet eureka lemons, powdered sugar, vanilla, tiny little hint of alcohol. Fantastic nose.

Taste is decidedly mellow and elusive; no cracking bitterness here. The major flavor is of malt and apricots; a lot of apricot. There's also some green papaya and watery lychee on the tip of the tongue. The flavor of the green tea is nearly non-existent, and what is there merges into the muted yet green hop flavor that appears as you roll the beer over your tongue; drinking this is something akin to what it would be like to chew on grass through a latex glove. Not as unpleasant as the description would lead you to believe, though.

Mouthfeel is very viscous; this is not a brew that is light on its feet. Additionally, the 9.2% ABV comes into play only a quarter of the way through the glass – you feel it fast.

Overall, I’d purchase it just to whiff at the smell; it smells just wonderful. Too bad the rest of the feel falls a bit short. If you get your hands on this any later than six months from the brew date (May 2011), don't even bother, because as soon as the hops go, there's nothing to see here. This is going to age terribly.

That being said, all in all, a great idea, decently executed, and certainly something to inspire me for future homebrewing sessions.

ithacabaron, Jul 20, 2011
Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing Co.