Jason Fields & Kevin Sheppard / Tröegs / Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Jason Fields & Kevin Sheppard / Tröegs / Stone Cherry Chocolate StoutJason Fields & Kevin Sheppard / Tröegs / Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: WestValleyIPA on 07-26-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jason Fields & Kevin Sheppard / Tröegs / Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Aroma: Strong roasted notes, hints of dark fruit. Cherry slowly emerges. Some spiciness.

Appearance: Black body. Thick light brown head that fell into a thin sheet.

Flavor: Burnt flavors. Really roasted malts with hints of chocolate and fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body with a long ever so slightly dry and spicy finish.

Overall: Restrained, which is not always the case with the specialty brews, especially with an upfront advertised flavor promise. Pretty good balance of the sweetness (fruit and malt). A little to dense and roasted. (548 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

There is no way to get around this - it's a cherry chocolate stout. If you want that in a beer, you'll get it here.

Looks dark but with a hint of red, hmm, I wonder why.

Smells more chocolatey than anything else, but there's a tartness to it, much like you find in dark chocolate or, dare I say, cherries?

It tastes like a chocolate stout, actually more like a porter really, more carbonation. Chocolate overpowers, and is good, and a hint of the cherry in the bite and at the end. More of a "tartness" overall for the cherry taste, but if you've ever had chocolate cherries, you know that the cherry taste doesn't always come through strong.

Feels good to drink. Lingers on the teeth, tastes like dark cocoa going down.

If this tasted sickly like cherries, it wouldn't be good. But as it stands, it's a chocolate stout with a tartness that is welcome. Not a "go-to" Stout by any means, but as a nice dessert, it's lovely. (928 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

Can't say enough about this collaborative beer from stone (CA) and tröegs (PA). Poured in a 10 oz flute.

Dark roasted espressso chocolate color with a chocolate mousse head. (It looked like a choco-volcano being poured)

smelled like chocolate biscuits and tangy cherry fruit. Hint of Roasty malts too.

Since I had a small glass I waited a few minutes for it to warm up and let the flavors mature. Bittersweet chocolate dominates the palate from the start but the warm vanilla and tart cherrys follow.

Mouthfeel is amazing, so rich and creamy with good carbonation. Hardly a trace of alcohol .

If it seemed like I used the word chocolate a lot in this review its because theres no other way to emphasize the robust cocoa flavor packed into this behemoth. Overall, I have to recommend this beer to anyone who is fortunate enough have access to it. For me its the ultimate in milk stouts.

FYI if you do have access to this, it is on my wants list. (954 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours incredibly dark, almost black with a hint of red if you hold it up to the light. Light head. Looks almost like a syrup.

S - A combination of sweet and malty, with the cherry and chocolate (as the name might suggest) coming out as well.

T - Slightly bitter and sour with the cherries and chocolate mingling together to form a pleasant flavor. It has a bitter, chocolatey finish.

M - Smooth and moderately carbonated, but it's a bit thin.

O - An interesting collaboration beer that I was very much looking forward to trying (I had to go to two different Total Wine stores to find it). It didn't quite live up to the pedestal I put it on, but it was tasty and I'm happy I invested in more than one bottle. (716 characters)

Grabbed a single 12oz bottle. I usually enjoy Cherry in beer, so this was a no-brainer.

Looks like a stout. Black with a deep dark red in the right light.

Smells like chocolate and cherries in a stout. Honestly, just what I was hoping for.

Taste is the same. Nothing I'd want all the time, but a solid beer.

Mouthfeel is really good. Not too carbonated, not too heavy.

Drinkability is not super high simply because I wouldn't want more than one of these.

All in all, I"m glad I tried it and if there are more on the shelf I'll try a few more. (550 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz. bottle from Hoffer's Cigar in La Mesa. Slight beige head w/ dark reddish-brown color. Subtle nose consisting mostly of malt and coffee. A little thinner on the viscosity than I expected. I initially taste just the slightest amount of tart cherries. My palate is then dominated by the big satisfying malty and chocolate-y notes. The taste finishes with the essence of tart cherries and a very dry finish. Overall, a well-crafted beer for the price. (454 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Pours a dark, almost pitch black. Held up to light, you can see just a hint of deep red.
S: Smells of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Just a hint of cherry comes through.
T: Small tasted of dark chocolate, dark malts, and a hint of cherry on the backside.
M: Thin to medium thickness
O: Lackluster stout. Not too bad but could definitely be better. (355 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a pitch black, with a thickish consistency.

Smell - cherries with a hint of cocoa.

Taste - Very cherry at the front with a mild bitterness, more chocolate as it warms up. You can tell this is a milk stout from the finish. There is a faint hint of alcohol as well.

Overall this is a fine milk stout and the cherry flavor is a nice change of pace. Not sure I would want to buy another on considereing the price but if you like milk stouts it definately worth a try. (472 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%

A - deep brown/black, dark tan head that didn't stick around long, good looking stout

B - loved the smell on this one. Very chocolate-y with an indecipherable tartness. Roasted malt, and marshmallow also present.

T - very similar to the nose. Tartness hits up front, not recognizable as cherry but not unpleasant either. Then a big hit of cocoa powder / baking chocolate, which just gets even bigger as the beer warms up. The tartness, while it doesn't disappear, takes a back seat to the chocolate. I suppose more cherry should be present given the name of the beer, but I can't complain too much given how enjoyable this is as a chocolate stout. Good sweetness, but by no means cloying, and it's kept in check by the bitterness from the malts and chocolate.

M - a touch thinner than I'd like, and maybe a smidge too much carbonation as well, though I should admit I'm partial to sweet beers being on the warmer and flatter side. So I'm dinging the score a bit here, but this is very much based on personal taste.

O - great beer. I've never considered myself a chocolate junkie, but this beer has changed my mind. I bought a few more immediately after having one, and will try to hunt down a few other highly rated chocolate stouts to see if this really is a style I enjoy more broadly. (1,292 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Super pumped when I bought one of these at mt local packy, the thought of chocolate, stout and cherries danced on my palette. After I took my first sip, i cried a little because I was hoping for something more. The dark and i mean DARK color with some deep reds near the relatively small amount of head diffidently shows off the stout and the smell of cherries and chocolate where in there as well, but everything together kinda made me want more from it. the mouthfeel was creamy, which isnt very appealing to me. Maybe it just when i think of cherries in beer i think Kasteel rouge and chocolate stout i think of my personal favorite the harpoon chocolate stout. If you find one give it a shot is pretty much what I'm saying (726 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a dark brown to black, as with a typical porter, although not nearly as thick as an Imperial Russian Stout. Little tan head dissapates into nothing quickly after pour.

Smell is lightly of sour cherries and much more heavily of dark chocolate and coffee. The effect faintly reminds me of your typical merlot, although I'm not expert on wine.

Taste is dark chocolates and mocha, and surprisingly little cherries at first. Think raspberries and dark chocolates. As the beer warms, the sour cherries come more to the forefront, although never to the degree you expect when you see the name on the label. The beer definetely gains complexity as it warms. The flavor of cherries has to really come out in a beer that's this thick and hearty.

In the end, I'm not entirely sure I cared for it all that much. Not bad, but not great either. Mildly interesting flavor, but probably not one I'd crave again. (905 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

I just finished my last bottle of this tonight. I had a few bottles when it was fresh about a year ago, and now it's all gone. I'll make comparisons to both fresh and aged, so keep up!

A - Dark as can be. Black, black black with a faint red/brown tone as you swirl it in the glass. There is definitely carbonation present similar to Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes. However, this Stone brew is much heaver in viscosity. A coffee brown head forms and then is gone shortly after leaving some brown lacing on the glass.

S - FRESH- Heavy notes of cherry, bitter chocolate and some roasty malts present.
Aged - The cherry scent is all but gone. More sweetness is present in the nose for me, and lots of the chocolate bitterness has mellowed and subsided. Most of this has been replaced by the roasted malts.

T - FRESH - Cherry is the first thing I tasted. This was quickly followed by a heavy dose of bitter chocolate. The sweet cherry was a little unexpected, but it was balanced immediately by the bitter dark chocolate. On the finish there was plenty of roast coming through with a bit of the bitter chocolate lingering. Yes, there was some heat apparent.
AGED - I could not taste the cherry anymore, but there was a residual sweetness left in the taste, followed by a more muted bitterness of the chocolate. The roasted taste is much more noticeable now and the alcohol has not been mellowed juuuust a touch, but it's still noticeable on the finish.

M - Creamy, creamy creamy fresh or aged. Creamier on the aged version with a heavy coating left on about anything it touches. Thick, but not "Ten Fidy" thick. A bit oily, but just very nice.

O - I wish I had the sense to buy more. I enjoyed the cherry notes more when it was fresh, but the creaminess that came out as it aged was awesome. Loved this beer. (1,818 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +13.4%

I was on the hunt for this and the Green Tea IPA.

i found this in a 12 oz bottle and got very excited.

When i poured it i was very happy when i saw the dark color of the head which dissipated rather quickly and left gorgeous lace. Very dark stout.

The smell was of cherries and dark chocolate.

When i tasted i got dark chocolate and coffee with a sour cherry finish. I didnt get the artificial cherry flavoring that some people were talking about.

Nice mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Very good stout in my opinion.

I wish i could find more. (550 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

This is much better than the Green Tea IPA. For Stones famous collaborations this is where collaboration meets genius. This happens to be far better than the reviews may make it seem. If you enjoy desert stouts than this is one beer you must put your lips on.

If you are not a fan of stouts or beers with fruit complexities you may find this trite and sweet. But, if you happen to enjoy dark full bodied dark concoctions then this is your beer. Go for it if it is still around. You will be happy you made the effort. This will be one of those under appreciated offerings Stone release but everyone laments never getting the chance to partake in. Please, I beg of you to seek this out and imbibe. (697 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

I’ve been looking forward to tasting this collaboration since the clerk @ Liquor Mark hyped it up to me.

A: Pours black with a reddish hue. Little to no head and no lacing.
S: Chocolate with little coffee…I’m not really getting any cherry…very faint if any.
T: Chocolate stout up front. Cherry notes come through in the tart after taste. Opens up as it warms.
M: Medium smooth mouth feel.
O: I was a bit disappointed since I was expecting a bigger malt backbone with a more evident dessert like character. I thought it was a bit thin and the cherry profile was an after thought. However, for $2.99 I will definitely try it again. I’ll cellar a few bottles and see what time does for it. It’s a worthy try and I’ll continue to seek out Stone’s collaboration brews. (782 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

A.Pours a dark reddish black with a good head that quickly fades.At the end of tasting there is zero lacing none.After 5 minutes it looks like I left the beer out overnight.
S.Smells like Cherry , dark chocolate ,tobacco,bourbon, some coffee.
T. Taste some booze but its warm and nice cherry at the front then chocolate and coffee.Finishes as it warms with tobacco.Goes do very easy smooth .A rare 7.3% beer I could take to the head.
M.Not very carbonated ,actually flat , but it doesnt really hurt this beer .
O.Another very good Stone collab beer.I feel warm after one like I had a shot. Let this beer warm for a bit as more characteristics come out. Will save one for a cold evening in Dec. (694 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +8.7%

Reading other reviews, it seems this beer is all over the place on the rating spectrum. This made me a bit sceptical when I popped open the bottle, but I was presently surprised.

Another reviewer hit the nail right on the head, this is a chocolate cherry stout, if that doesn't sound appealing, then this beer probably is not for you.

It pours jet black with a thick brown head. The head sticks around for a while, and when it settles in there is some nice lacing on the glass. There isn't much nose on this beer, just smells like a lighter stout. For a beer that has little on the nose, the taste is pretty powerful. Very strong cherry flavors on top of a bitter dark chocolate, with a little coffee and booze flavors on the back. The bitterness of the chocolate and cherries stick around for a while. Some people say the cherries taste medicinal, I would have to disagree, the taste is dead on wild cherries, perhaps they were looking for maraschino cherry flavors instead? The mouthfeel is real intense, it coats your tongue and sticks around for a while, the flavors playing off eachother nicely. Overall I would say this is a pretty good beer, but not a session beer. I cant even imagine what you would pair it with for food, I think it just needs to stand on its own as an after dinner type drink and you should be pleased. (1,332 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip glass

Poured very dark, with a inch or so of dark brown head which dissipated slowly with almost no lacing. Smells of tart cherry and unsweetened cocoa, with a touch of vanilla. Taste is bitter cherry, followed by a smooth dark chocolate finish which lingers bringing out the bitter cherry after. There was very little carbonation, and the beer itself has a creamy feel. As the beer warmed, the cherry taste came out more, and tamed the chocolate back end.

Overall, I think this was a good beer, with good sour notes and chocolate notes with touch of vanilla. (593 characters)

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Jason Fields & Kevin Sheppard / Tröegs / Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout from Stone Brewing Co.