1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,373 | Reviews: 711 | Show All Ratings:
champ103

1.98/5  rDev -53.1%

A: Pours a dark black, almost opaque color. A one finger tan head forms, and recedes to a ring. Nice lace is left behind.
S: Oh man, the aroma is pungent. Herbal and soapy hops, citrus, grassy hops. That all intermingles with burnt sugar, tar, molasses, ash, wood. Just unpleasant in the nose.
T: The same here, it is just off putting. At first the hops are strong. Herbal, grassy, soapy. Charred wood, ash, and rubber comes next. Burnt sugar with way to much residual sweetness. Molasses and soy sauce. A lingering bitterness lasts forever. Not to mention the alcohol. Over barring in every way.
M/D: A full body that is thick and viscous. Overly so with a sticky adhesive quality that I don't like. I think tar is a good descriptor. To much alcohol and to much of everything else. I could not finish a glass.

Wow, I thought Stone could not get any more crase and over barring. Just an unbalanced mess. I wish brewers would think before releasing beers like this. Though I guess everyone else seems to like it for some reason, and I don't get it? I would say avoid, but that looks like I am in the minority.

09-30-2011 00:01:06 | More by champ103
crossovert

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Just a retarded idea imo to have a black ipa as your 15th anniversary brew. I bought this cause I found it for 6 bucks which isn't a bad deal on a brew of this "rarity" i guess.

It pours a nice color, a thick, inky blackish brown with a creamy tan head that leaves a thick coating of lacing.

It smells like a package of the tropical starburst mixed with tootsie rolls. Some might like it but i think it reeks of a poorly thought out recipe.

The flavor is really well, all over the place. There is some coffee notes, some indecipherable hop notes, odd sweetness, moderate bitterness.

This beer is just a mish mash of junk really. Re-do you recipe and actually think before you brew.

10-12-2011 02:38:30 | More by crossovert
dmatsui

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Pitch black. 2 finger sticky, mud brown head. Lots of lacing.

Muddled blend of bitter hops, burnt cocoa, hazelnut and coffee. Not particularly inviting, an odd, unbalanced aroma that I found to be really off-putting.

Big hit of bittering hops forward, followed by dark roasty stout characteristics.

I really don't have much to say about this one. To me there's way too much going on, the hoppiness does not pair up well with the stout backbone, and it tastes like a mess. Stone always seems to want to take on huge hybrid beers, sometimes very successfully sometimes over-executed. This was honestly one of the worst beers I've had in a while.

Didn't finish the bottle.

I'm still scratching my head about this one; I thought I would've liked it.

09-07-2012 01:07:04 | More by dmatsui
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev -43.6%

on-tap, reviewed from notes.

A- Brown... dark dark brown/black body and a sticky icky tan head.

S- Intense hops- I do a double-take after sniffing this one. Piny, a bit fruity, very pungent.

T- Too much. There's roasty malt and some coffee notes for a second, and they're completely obliterated from the zippy, minty, herbal, piny hops. Yes, that's a lot of descriptors. They're all there. Orange peel, pine resin, and mint leaves. The hops are pulling my tongue all over the place and don't give me a chance to sit back and explore the beer. After my tongue recovers from the assault, some ashy flavors peek through. Not doing the beer any favors.

M- Abrasively hoppy, too much, too confusing. Good carbonation, though.

O- Meh. SSR is a much better beer- this one is just disorganized and a tough nut to crack. I won't be revisiting this one, no chance no way.

10-07-2011 13:56:57 | More by ShogoKawada
mactrail

2.45/5  rDev -41.9%

This is so sharply alcoholic. With the bitterness, it tastes like a Chinese medicinal wine. It also wins the prize for the weirdest, most unpleasant aroma for a non-spoiled beer. It's like a wet felt hat filled with the parsley silage from the back of the vegetable bin.

The stuff looks nice enough in the glass, though it's just black with a thin beige head. Not very drinkable overall. It just seems like some kind of hop joke. Mouthfeel is hard to tell. It makes my lips hurt.

Personally, I think they are toying with us. Or else it's a chemistry experiment from the Escondido High School science fair. At least Stone doesn't don't overcharge, so I sometimes lapse from better judgement to try one of their loopy brews. From the 22 oz bottle. Add a case of Olde English 800 for an excellent frat party. "Dude, see if you can keep this down!"

08-02-2012 05:42:15 | More by mactrail
PainkeepBrewing

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -38.9%

I'm trying to be nice, but I wonder with a lot of these reviews how much of it is that everyone is a massive Stone fanboys rather than really being objective with the beer.

A - it's black, dark dark black. It looks like a stout, pours fairly thick with very little light brown head, under a finger that fizzled away quickly.

S - alcohol is by far the most predominant smell. A bit of chalk, stout-like roast. Almost no hop aroma.

T - Egh. It was overly boozy, and the taste reminded me of chalk, roast, and a very small amount of hops on the back end. It was dominated by the chalky flavor and the roast though. Not really sure what to think about it being a 'black IPA', I don't doubt it has a lot of hops but they're just completely overwhelmed.

M - it's thicker than I'd like an IPA to be, but in an 11%ish beer I'm not surprised. It was closer to a heavy porter than anything.

O - completely underwhelmed. I had some high hopes but got a boozy, overzealous beer that was more like a mediocre stout than any kind of Black IPA. Really this beer was a huge letdown.

09-03-2011 04:11:52 | More by PainkeepBrewing
yokken

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Got a bomber of this on my visit to California; I'll be visiting Stone in two days.

My father and I split this. First off, wow, that's thick. And it's certainly black. My first whiff had me reeling. It's extremely potent... hops flood my nasal passages. A pungent soy sauce flavor overwhelms me. It's very sweet.

The first sip is incredibly bitter. Sweet as well. The ABV of this beer doesn't hide, in my opinion, like some Double IPAs can do. I don't look forward to the next sip of this beer. And that's just it--this is a sipping beer. It's incredibly flavorful. It stops everything, and forces me to focus on how bitter and overwhelming the flavor is.

The aftertaste is the best part, and quite possibly the only thing I enjoy about this beer. There's an incredible coffee aftertaste reminding me of a coffee stout. I also detect chocolate and toffee undertones. Someone else here on BA noted figs as well, which I also subtly taste. But coffee and soy sauce are two huge flavors here, and I'm not the most fond of those. I'm much more of an IPA guy.

Compared to other black IPAs, this is something else entirely. It is so pungent, so powerful, so overwhelming, that I would probably never choose to drink this again. The flavor kills my palate more than a double IPA and I'm here wishing I had bought a bottle of something else. I love a lot of Stone's brews, but this sure isn't one of them.

03-14-2012 05:18:48 | More by yokken
BullDurham

2.78/5  rDev -34.1%

22 oz bottle poured into my DFH signature glass

Appearance: Dark, Black. Looks exactly like a stout. No light even around the edges of the glass. Two finger tan head, sticks to the sides of the glass nicely.

Smell: Not a strong smelling brew, really had to take a nice big whiff to get much. Some piny hops and something burnt. Odd combo.

Taste: Roasted malts, almost burnt taste mixed with pine needles. A Bitter and burnt taste coats the mouth, not pleasant. Alcohol isnt bad seeing that this is almost 11%. Something lightly sweet mid-taste.

Mouthfeel: Thick, almost creamy and sticky.

Overall: Stone I am disappointed! I dont know what to make of this. Trying to be and do too much at once? Would not buy this again, but not sorry that I tried it.

10-08-2011 02:47:15 | More by BullDurham
kungpao

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Aye carumba.

A- Looks like a stout.

S- Smells Like an IPA

T- Not a stout. Not an IPA. Its the inbred red headed step child. I'm really hoping for one of these black IPAs to blow me away but the flavors just clash. Roasted malts and citrus hops don't belong together.

M- Not bad.

O- One of the better black IPAs i've had, but I cant get into this.

09-29-2011 01:41:33 | More by kungpao
aasher

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -32.5%

This just arrived in Indiana today. It pours a nice midnight black in color with a one finger poofy beige colored head. It looks great. It smells of sweet and bitter dark roasted malts and caramelized onions. Uh oh, smells like a dark roasted Devil Dancer. I'm not a fan of that onion aroma at all. The taste is sweet, dark, bitter, has a very nice hoppy aspect but again it goes very heavy on the onions. I'm sure some love it, but it isn't for me. It's also very, very boozy. It has the near perfect body for the style and drinks more like a stout or imperial porter. I wanted to love this one, but it just wasn't up my alley.

08-19-2011 21:31:50 | More by aasher
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -32.5%

I was lucky to find this one…it was dumb of me to pass it up for so long! This will be my first time trying a Black IPA, and I’m glad that it’s Stone. Hit it:

Brewed about three months ago (“August 2011”).

A: Damn, this looks devilish. The body is a thick black, like a stout; what a full color. The head is awesome, a dense, foamy three fingers of excellence. It’s a light tan cream that sticks around for a hell of a long time, with a strong showing of web-like lacing when it finally comes down. It even darkens to an oily dark brown when I swirl the glass. Impressive.

S: Wow, that’s bold; and in a much different way, too. I don’t know how to explain it…it’s like a thick anise cream with coffee and a hint of garlic/onion. It gets worse the more whiffs I take, literally stomach-churning. I didn’t mind their Belgo-Anise IRS, but this is different; it’s a thicker, much more medicinal scent. There’s a little bit of booze, chocolate syrup, and caramel on the end, and only a hint of herbal hops. Weird.

T: Hmmm, that’s a yeastiness that I’ve had before; Great Divide’s Yeti comes to mind. I’m getting a chalky chocolate yeast taste that I really don’t like, which unfortunately lasts the entire palate. That distinct Stone hoppiness comes in piney and herbal, but it’s not enough to distract me. There’s a pepper, licorice, and herbal tea taste as well. The finish is vodka-like alcohol and light roasts. It’s better than the nose, but not by much.

M: The feel is just like the head looked: smoothly foamy. Pretty fiery, too, which is a welcome surprise.

O: There’s so much promise to this beer: the style, the brewery, the promised hoppiness. Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out well. Though this beer was my least favorite from this brewery, I’m certainly hoping for another 15 years of Stone beer. Cheers!

11-04-2011 03:14:33 | More by BarryMFBurton
7ways

Georgia

2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours thick and milky and black with a pellicle of a tan head. Lasts a really long time, with great lacing. Looks like Left Hand Milk Stout on nitrogen.

Very conflicting but alluring aroma. Bitter grapefruit and marmalade on a backdrop of cocoa and coffee.

This tastes like an over hopped imperial stout, nothing more. As in, something went wrong. Aggressive, medicinal, bitter. Roast + bitter hops = Meh. A little cloying too, but points for hiding the alcohol well.

Rich, full body; creamy.

Everything about this beer is good except the taste. This doesn't cross a line, push the envelope, break barriers, or redefine anything. It is just an unusual mix of ingredients that does not work very well.

09-13-2011 02:42:28 | More by 7ways
readbaron

2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Served at Acre's stone tap takeover

Pours black with large tan head that laces up nicely and sticks around for a while.

Whew. I'm not sure what happened on the nose - smell is not to my liking. I get soy sauce and fermented broccoli. Blech. As I get used to it I can tell that it's a combination of piney hops mixed with roasty malts. The combo ends up pungent and not so tasty.

Tastes better than it smells. Very hoppy, with lots of roasty malts. Bitter and boozy with some of that unusual soy sauce flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is quite nice - creamy and smooth. Medium bodied, and a bit sticky.

Overall, the nose just kills this one for me.

08-31-2011 18:41:16 | More by readbaron
zoolzoo

Connecticut

Pours near black, complety opaque. Thick and foamy mocha head. Boozy nose, vodka and coffee beans. Hops come through quite well.

Taste reminds me of an over hopped stout. Chocolatey flavors are surprisingly present. Juicy hops just plopped right down, offering some weird contrast. Sort of harsh all around. Fusel alcohol, roast, hoppy finish. Pretty much unpleasant.

11-06-2011 18:18:27 | More by zoolzoo
charlzm

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

Consumed at Lucky Baldwin's Trappist Pub and Cafe on Sunday, August 21st, 2011. Beer served in a small stemmed goblet.

Extremely dark brown (might as well just call it black) with a one finger cocoa-colored head composed of EXTREMELY fine and uniform bubbles.

Nose: hoppy as heck. Pine and grapefruit. Pleasing.

Up front, there is a nice malt chocolate flavor which is followed by resiny grapefruit. Not as bitter an affair as the hopping might have led one to believe, but the two flavors do not work well with each other. Noticeable alcohol as both flavor and heat.

Finish is unexpectedly clean; the palate is spared a stripping. Mouthfeel is creamy and a little thick.

This is like a black and tan made with a stout that gets overpowered by a double IPA. It just doesn't work for me. Chalk it up as an interesting failure; chocolate and grapefruit flavors do not complement each other here.

I'm going to age a couple of bottles of this to see what happens.

08-22-2011 23:09:00 | More by charlzm
Vierenner

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

I purchased this beer only because the store limited its sale to one per customer ... I thought that meant it was something special.

While good, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Nothing special, really.

I taste coffee, chocolate, and a bitterness which ruins everything for me.

02-04-2012 23:19:38 | More by Vierenner
cneville

3.08/5  rDev -27%

Poured out of a fun bomber.

Into the glass, it looks like oil. Dark, viscous, with a big head that leaves tons of lacing. Smell brings pine hops at first, with an odd finish. Burnt? Earthy? There's a lot going on here, and I'm not sure I love it. Taste is almost like a stout at first, and then you taste the piney hops. Chocolatey, a little smoky, and it's really overwhelming. I can't totally sort it out. The alcohol is definitely present--it's a very warming beer. Carbonation is good.

I liked alright, but it never really came together for me. Maybe I'm not ready for something this complex. I like Yakima Glory a little better.

10-08-2011 20:51:32 | More by cneville
THEOPTIMATOR88

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From notes, 08/30/11

Pours jet black with a large, light brown head and moderate retention. Aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted nuts and earthy hops. Mouthfeel is thick like an imperial stout, not an easy drink. Taste is mostly charred, roasted notes followed by hint of chocolate and coffee. Earthy, resinous hops finish it off. Pretty boozy, and I don't consider myself too sensitive to that kind of quality. I really like Sublimely Self-Righteous but I was not a big fan of this one. I'm admittedly not a big Black IPA drinker but I have had ones that I thought balanced the flavors better (Deschutes' Hop in the Dark in particular). I thought there was too much stout and not enough hop presence. A good beer, but not one I'd be likely to buy again.

09-08-2011 18:27:47 | More by THEOPTIMATOR88
stakem

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Thanks to wishuwerebeer for the share. Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. This brew appears black in color with a rich frothy cap of brown that is 2 fingers strong.  A thick wall of webby lacing completely covers the glassware everywhere it touches.

The smell of this brew initially is fruity with hops, some citrus and a bit of veggie to earthy aspect. A little bit pine included as well as a catty aspect across the back. Roasty grain becomes more bold across the back with a hint of alcohol as the brew warms.

The taste is bold with a roasty bitterness of the grain that immediately gives way to a hoppy bitterness that is oily and includes catty and veggie hop flavoring. Alcohol has a hint of fruit like pear or cantaloupe and a warmth down the back of the throat. The taste of this brew really clashes for me and seems a bit dirty.

This is a medium bodied brew, somewhat smooth in the feel with a creamy texture and modest level of carbonation. It is quite bold and roasty but the flavor and aroma really clashes for me. Pear/cantaloupe meets bitter roasted grain and catty/veggies is just so strange. I wanted to like this brew but had a really hard time finishing my glass. If black ipas are your thing, you might love this but there are better offerings for the style.

10-24-2011 18:34:23 | More by stakem
jsled

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

P: 4/5. Perfectly opaque black, good tan head, well supported with lacing.

A: 4/5. luxurious hops. some citrus, but a piney, resiny wonderfulness. no real perceived alcohol.

F: 6/10. sweet, roasty, alcohol. roast finishes in an astringent twang. unpleasant balance on the back of the tongue.

M: 2/5. not overly coating, but much residual bitterness, and no residual sweetness to balance.

O: 6/10. Not quite what I'd like in a BIPA.

09-04-2011 00:54:32 | More by jsled
beertunes

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

Served in tulip glass. Poured a solid black, no translucence at all, with an inch of strong black head that excellent retention and lacing.

The aroma was all nice hops, mostly floral, with a just barely noticeable malt profile. The flavors were unique, to say the least. There was a noticeable chocolate presence, and the hops did not combine well with the chocolate, with plenty of tangy hops. The beer had a weird metallic finish.

The body was medium and averagely decent. Drinkability suffered from the weird combination of flavors. Overall, a decent, but very odd, beer. As a note, with the last 1/4 of the glass, I had the bartender add a few drops of Creme de Menthe to the beer. This helped the beer a lot, really helped tie the flavors together.

09-04-2011 04:16:39 | More by beertunes
hwwty4

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured a double deuce into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a oily black with a massive 4 inch head that never really dies down. Tons of lacing covers the inside of the glass. The aroma really is of a super piney DIPA. Just a bit of grapefruit pith mixed with a hint of roasty coffee and bitter chocolate. the flavor is much the same. Tones of piney hops. Followed up with more piney hops and a bit of lemon and grapefruit pith. Just a bit of medicinal bitterness at the tail of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is dry with just a oilyness that adds a strange component to the mouthfeel. Almost like a bit of butter is coating your mouth. Interesting but not necessarily in a good way. Overall, I think the jury is still out. There are some thongs that I like about it but some things I really don't.

09-10-2011 01:52:34 | More by hwwty4
Beaver13

Colorado

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

22oz bottle. Pours a dark brown black with a frothy creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is roasted malts with piney hops and a little fruit.

The flavor is a some sweet fruity malt followed by a big roast bitterness with a lot of char in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall, pretty similar to other black IPAs that just don't do it for me. Too much roast and char bitterness rather than hop flavors. There is some sweetness and a little fruit and pine, but it just doesn't seem to go well with the roasted char.

09-07-2011 04:56:44 | More by Beaver13
kojevergas

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

1 pt 6 fl oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of beautiful tan colour, wonderful cream and thickness, and excellent retention considering the high ABV. Colour is a solid black. Extremely appealing.

Sm: Bittering hops aplenty alongside cream and caramel. Interesting, but nothing special. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Some light floral notes and heavy bittering hops slam into dark caramel, light coffee, and cream like oncoming traffic. The balance is rather off, with most of the flavour contained in the latter half. The bitterness is too pronounced, to the point of being unwelcome, and even ruining the finish. Alcohol comes through, and there's a weak sauce chocolate note right on the end. It's complex but imbalanced, and overall is badly built for the style. That said, it does have some nice patches.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but too thick. The cream is lopsided and strange. It's also sharp on the finish. Doesn't suit the flavours of the body at all.

Dr: This is a strangely built beer for the style that isn't successful at meshing dark notes with an overload of IPA inspired bittering hops. The price is high, even in California. The ABV is pronounced. It's only worth trying for huge fans of Stone and/or the style.

09-23-2011 09:00:08 | More by kojevergas
spicelab

Australia

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bomber thanks to Adam@Platinum Liquor.

Tarry black with a large dense mocha head. Leaves a nicely raised ring but little additional lacing. Reforms to half a finger or so on swirling.

Initial hit of resinous pine, before the hops are swamped by sweet cocoa, booze-soaked raisins, tobacco, liquorice, coffee and barleywine-like treacle notes. Slightly sickly actually - I'd like a lot more hops.

Thankfully less cloying. Burnt coffee, liquorice, molasses and both sweet and bitter dark chocolate, backed by a moderate piney and minty bitterness. Occasionally get bizarre notes of scorched vegemite and ashy soy sauce.

Thick and viscous with a bit much carbonation. Not a big bitter presence and booze is impressively well hidden.

Generally full-frontal onslaught that leaves little to the imagination. Seems a bit gratuitous though - restraint in any number of areas would have made for a better beer. Have doubts that my bottle was in the best condition though - a re-review might be in order.

11-19-2011 06:20:08 | More by spicelab
15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.