15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,412 | Reviews: 713
2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

2.81/5  rDev -33.4%

22 oz bottle poured into my DFH signature glass

Appearance: Dark, Black. Looks exactly like a stout. No light even around the edges of the glass. Two finger tan head, sticks to the sides of the glass nicely.

Smell: Not a strong smelling brew, really had to take a nice big whiff to get much. Some piny hops and something burnt. Odd combo.

Taste: Roasted malts, almost burnt taste mixed with pine needles. A Bitter and burnt taste coats the mouth, not pleasant. Alcohol isnt bad seeing that this is almost 11%. Something lightly sweet mid-taste.

Mouthfeel: Thick, almost creamy and sticky.

Overall: Stone I am disappointed! I dont know what to make of this. Trying to be and do too much at once? Would not buy this again, but not sorry that I tried it.

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

Aye carumba.

A- Looks like a stout.

S- Smells Like an IPA

T- Not a stout. Not an IPA. Its the inbred red headed step child. I'm really hoping for one of these black IPAs to blow me away but the flavors just clash. Roasted malts and citrus hops don't belong together.

M- Not bad.

O- One of the better black IPAs i've had, but I cant get into this.

2.87/5  rDev -32%

This just arrived in Indiana today. It pours a nice midnight black in color with a one finger poofy beige colored head. It looks great. It smells of sweet and bitter dark roasted malts and caramelized onions. Uh oh, smells like a dark roasted Devil Dancer. I'm not a fan of that onion aroma at all. The taste is sweet, dark, bitter, has a very nice hoppy aspect but again it goes very heavy on the onions. I'm sure some love it, but it isn't for me. It's also very, very boozy. It has the near perfect body for the style and drinks more like a stout or imperial porter. I wanted to love this one, but it just wasn't up my alley.

2.87/5  rDev -32%

I was lucky to find this one…it was dumb of me to pass it up for so long! This will be my first time trying a Black IPA, and I’m glad that it’s Stone. Hit it:

Brewed about three months ago (“August 2011”).

A: Damn, this looks devilish. The body is a thick black, like a stout; what a full color. The head is awesome, a dense, foamy three fingers of excellence. It’s a light tan cream that sticks around for a hell of a long time, with a strong showing of web-like lacing when it finally comes down. It even darkens to an oily dark brown when I swirl the glass. Impressive.

S: Wow, that’s bold; and in a much different way, too. I don’t know how to explain it…it’s like a thick anise cream with coffee and a hint of garlic/onion. It gets worse the more whiffs I take, literally stomach-churning. I didn’t mind their Belgo-Anise IRS, but this is different; it’s a thicker, much more medicinal scent. There’s a little bit of booze, chocolate syrup, and caramel on the end, and only a hint of herbal hops. Weird.

T: Hmmm, that’s a yeastiness that I’ve had before; Great Divide’s Yeti comes to mind. I’m getting a chalky chocolate yeast taste that I really don’t like, which unfortunately lasts the entire palate. That distinct Stone hoppiness comes in piney and herbal, but it’s not enough to distract me. There’s a pepper, licorice, and herbal tea taste as well. The finish is vodka-like alcohol and light roasts. It’s better than the nose, but not by much.

M: The feel is just like the head looked: smoothly foamy. Pretty fiery, too, which is a welcome surprise.

O: There’s so much promise to this beer: the style, the brewery, the promised hoppiness. Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out well. Though this beer was my least favorite from this brewery, I’m certainly hoping for another 15 years of Stone beer. Cheers!

2.92/5  rDev -30.8%

Served at Acre's stone tap takeover

Pours black with large tan head that laces up nicely and sticks around for a while.

Whew. I'm not sure what happened on the nose - smell is not to my liking. I get soy sauce and fermented broccoli. Blech. As I get used to it I can tell that it's a combination of piney hops mixed with roasty malts. The combo ends up pungent and not so tasty.

Tastes better than it smells. Very hoppy, with lots of roasty malts. Bitter and boozy with some of that unusual soy sauce flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is quite nice - creamy and smooth. Medium bodied, and a bit sticky.

Overall, the nose just kills this one for me.

3.02/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours near black, complety opaque. Thick and foamy mocha head. Boozy nose, vodka and coffee beans. Hops come through quite well.

Taste reminds me of an over hopped stout. Chocolatey flavors are surprisingly present. Juicy hops just plopped right down, offering some weird contrast. Sort of harsh all around. Fusel alcohol, roast, hoppy finish. Pretty much unpleasant.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.