15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

a - poured a two-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a snifter that left long-lasting sheeting and sticky lace throughout. the body was dark black with some brown hints.
s - big pine aroma with some chocolate sweetness underneath. the chocolate begins to come through more as it warms.
t - burnt chocolate and big piney hops.
m - this is so creamy and smooth, incredible.
o - a winner in my book, this is almost up there with the 10th as my favorite of stone's anniversary beers.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

I was really excited to try this beer after watching a podcast review it. I immediately picked up a bomber at the local store.

I specifically used a tulip glass to get the most out of the bouquet from this beer.

In pouring I get a really fluffy, four finger head. Without putting nose to glass, I already get espresso (which isn't a surprise). When I get up close I also get some mild hop smell with sweetness.

The flavor is more nuanced. The espresso is present, but it isn't as strong as in the nose. It is really rich across the tongue.

I like that the body is moderate and the hop balances well.

This is a really good beer. I really appreciate what Stone is doing here.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Its like you're drinking an IPA with the characteristics of a stout....unreal, really..

Pitch black, opaque pour with a nutty/mocha looking bubbly head that leaves some formidable lacing down my glass...already about 1/5 of the way done with 1 pint and feeling So Irie....you do the math

Smell is full of malt, pine, citrus, hoppiness....goodness..Taste is much the same, piney/citrus hops, some malt to kick up yer feet to. Diggin it. mouthfeel is like a stout, chocolatey, coffee like, cant even explain...just feels thick and syrupy like your favorite thicker brew..just perplexing this beer is...

Overall, seeing as how I cant finish a review w/o feeling doopy, i dont know how many i could drink and still f(x)...enjoy, friends, truly an obscure and special offering from Stone..

cherish dis..

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into my Star Wars Cantina glass.

Very impressive look to this one - couldn't be any darker, a solid jet black. Doesn't taste like an IPA to me - tastes very similar to Dogfish Head's Palo Santa Marron, which I find interesting considering they're supposed to be 2 different styles. Extremely boozy (which I kinda like) with complex flavors - chocolate and pine stick out the most.

Considering it's high ABV, I may not get the chance to try this again. I do hope Stone makes it a regular release though. Totally worth it.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

All I can say is wow, I hope this beer comes back around. This was my first beer in the imperial black Indian pale ale style and if others are made to this quality it surely won't be my last. The first thing I noticed when I poured the beer was its exceptional appearance. The beer comes out of the bottle dark as night and the beautiful head rains top down in the glass. Truly looks remarkable. This is definitely an aggressive beer with some boosyness. But still a great balanced is meant in its assertiveness. The roasted malts start the beer off followed by the bite of hops, alcohol, and a sharp snappy mouthfeel.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

Tasted aug 18th 2011 (from notes)

Tulip

A - deep dark gluggy black/brown, half finger dark tan head and nice lacing

S - grapefruit, sweet malts, nice yeast, pine, alcohol, citrus, tons of hops, sugar, wood, earth and island fruits

T - hops, resin, tons of toasted malt, sweet oak, sweet hickory molasses, flowers, pine, alcohol, grapefruit, more hops and some slight island fruit

M - full bodied, nice complexity, medium minus acidity, well balanced and long finish

D - for the style and genre, this is easy to drink. Outside of that, it's huge. Tons of hops, toastiness, alcohol and awesomeness

Final thought - if you have had knuckle sandwich from bootleggers, you cant tell me this doesn't taste like an overly malted and toasted version of that

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours like a dark rich stout. I have had a number of other Black IPAs and this pours the same way. A little but tan creamy head, that does not last that long
The difference ends here between stouts and black IPAs. Once I put my nose into the glass, all that came out was nice and strong HOPS. Closing my eyes, I am thinking like Stone's Bastard Ales, not as hoppy as Ruination.
I have to admit, my first taste was somewhat disappointing. I think it was perhaps that I was looking for that rich full stout flavor, but instead, it was much thinner, still nice The mouthful didnt last all that long. From the initial sip till the end, was so very quick, I was hoping for a little more flavour.
The finish was very quick. Hoppy to the end, made you make sure this was an IPA and not a stout

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.