15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a jet black color with brown highlights. The head is thick, two fingers, and a dark tan color, which takes a while to dissipates and leaves some nice lacing.

S: The scent is very earthy, a serious hop aroma is coming from the glass, even at a slight distance. There is a slightly roasted scent as well, but it is masked by the strong floral hop presence.

T: Wow, this is a tasty beer! There is a lot more to this beer than you'd expect from the smell. I was expecting all hops, but there is a nice mocha and roasted flavor that goes along well with the hops. Not as much of an alcohol presence as anticipated, but it's there. Finishes with bitters that stick around for a while in the palate.

M: Medium bodied with little carbonation, actually kind of flat considering the head was large. There is a nice mocha and hop feel in the palate.

D: This is without question one of the best Black IPA's I've had, Stone really knows how to brew the style. I wasn't expecting a well balanced beer based on the smell, but it is very delicious.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep black with a finger of dark tan head that leaves a slight bit of lacing down the glass. Those nose is dominated by roasted malts, dark chocolate, and resinous hops. I also get some spice - brown sugar and cinnamon. The taste is similar, roasty and very, very bitter, especially upfront. I'm not picking up much citrus or fruit flavored hops, mostly grassy and resinous. Strong dark chocolate notes reminiscent of a rich chocolate fudge. Picking up on a bit of onion and maybe even a soy sauce type flavor? Alcohol is definitely present, though not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is smooth and creaming, full bodied with a nice lingering bitterness. Really nice beer, only knock is I feel there could have been some more hop flavor, I'm only really getting the resinous bitterness.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours pitch black with a thick brown head. Heavy lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Strong smell of hops for me and I like it.

T: I get a lot of carbonation. I also get loads of hops like an IPA should get but it doesn't taste like a normal IPA. It has a big beer attribute to it like a stout or a barley wine does. That may sound weird but it's hard to explain.

MF: Bitter from the hops. Nothing else really going on here.

O: I'm really digging it. I was worried I wouldn't like it after I got 2 bottles and read on the bottle that it should be consumed fresh since I originally intended to cellar one but now I'm glad I got 2 bottles so I drink both right away. Maybe one of the reasons I like it so much is from the big beer attribute since I love stouts so much. Nice job Stone!

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

on tap at good dog in philly

Pours an opaque black with a slightly tanned head resting on top. Tones of patchy lacing is left on the glass in rings, along with thick, filmy retention.

Pungent hops in the nose with grapefruit and citrus sweetness. Some roasted malt and light nuttiness with a touch of caramel. Very faint hint of boozy warmth.

Bitter and juicy up front with pine hops and sticky resin. Stiff notes of grapefruit tempered by lighter fruit sweetness. Thick roasted, nutty malt backbone, some touches of caramel and bittersweet caramel. Finishes bitter and long with a flash of pine and a soft bite of alcohol.

Medium body, fine carbonation, sticky and a little chewy. One of the best black IPAs I've had, and I'd definitely drink this again. I was also surprised at how well they masked the double-digit ABV.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Served on-tap in a 10oz clear glass snifter at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Black with light brown cap of had with a few bits of lacing down the glass.

S: Roasted and hoppy aromas are both pretty light and a dense maltiness dominates.

T: This is a black IPA that manages to showcase both the orange, fruity citrus hoppiness and the coffee and chocolate roasted notes and making them work together rather than having both of them stick out like two sore thumbs. The hoppiness is restrained along with a very significant dark malt breadiness that fades to some roast, chocolate, coffee, and lighter licorice notes. A very well-crafted beer that I wish had a little more character.

M: The thick maltiness leaves a full-bodied feel with no acrid character but a wonderful smoothness with very little blatant alcohol.

O: I really liked this beer a lot more than I though I would, mainly because I have not had very good luck with black IPAs generally. This one doesn't really fit that category too well, but it doesn't fit any category very well all-around. Instead, this beer balances the roast and citrus hops notes very artfully rather than hitting you over the head with them both.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.