2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 651-675 | 676-700 | 701-725  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,373 | Reviews: 711 | Show All Ratings:
CaptDavyJones

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured an absolute pitch black color from a 22 oz bomber, bought and opened on 8/17/11. According to a blog on Stone's website, the bottle was released on 8/15/11 (it says on the label that it was bottled in Aug 2011).
Nice one finger dark mocha/tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind an constant shape changing film of head. Nice head retention.
Aroma was extremely hoppy, from the moment the bottle was cracked open. As the beer warms up, amidst all the various floral hoppy notes, there are hints of roasted malt that are evident with noticeable cocoa/dark chocolate notes.
Taste-wise this is a very complex ale. The layers of varying bitterness constantly assault the taste buds. Some might say this ale is excessively bitter, but to me it is just the right amount of complex bitterness. At times you feel you are having a super hopped stout, since this is a surprisingly full-bodied and smooth IPA.
The high ABV is masked very well. Even the warmth from the alcohol doesn't make it's presence felt right away.
This is a sipper all the way, and gets better as it slowly warms up. Stone always impresses me with their brews. Definitely worth a try and is highly recommended. Especially to all hop-heads and those who enjoy really dark stouts.
I am very interested to see how it ages and will be getting another bottle tomorrow and store it to age.

08-18-2011 05:09:09 | More by CaptDavyJones
rand

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

From bomber to pint glass

A: Pours jet black and forms a super frothy 2-inch head, which very slowly recedes and leaves lacing everywhere.

N: Smells like a Stone IPA with strong notes of diacetyl and booze. Stone IPA's have a trademark pine scent, which is all over the place.

T: This was completely unexpected. The citrusy, piny, hop notes are there, but buttery, boozy flavors really dominate the palate. The diacetyls are really strong, but they're almost neutralized by the alcohol. It's almost 'truffle-y'. Lemony citrus and sharp pine poke through mid-sip, along with some bready tones reminding of squaw. Finishes bitter and boozy.

M: Oily as hell. The diacetyl is no joke. I'm going out for a pint of this tomorrow, will have to verify that this was normal.

And I assume so because this is completely delicious, I've just never tasted anything like it. Stone IPA was my gateway drug to craft beer, but recently they've put more energy into expansion and distribution rather than out-of-the-box brewing. I've been waiting, hoping, for them to come up with something amazing like this. You can taste a little Runination and Arrogant Bastard, but this is a brew all to itself.

08-18-2011 04:46:02 | More by rand
FosterJM

4.05/5  rDev -4%

721st Review on BA
Bottle to Piraat Tulip
22 oz bottle

App- A new point in the black IPA zone has been reached. To me they really dressed up a RIS with a bigger head and scaled back the lacing. Black squid ink liquid and a giant three finger head. Khaki in color and very very slow to recede.

Smell- A very nice blend of a lot of things. I get damp citrus with some orange and some tropical. At the same time its a bit malty with a creamy note. No trace of the ABV or bitterness.

Taste- This is very different from other black IPAs I have had including the 11th anny or SSR. This one is more malt driven with a balanced malt/citrus combo. Its unique in flavors with it being so split down the middle and very balanced. Black IPAs arent my favorite but 11th and 15th take the cake.

Mouth- A very well done medium bodied beer with a paired and equally balanced medium carbonation. A bunch of bubbles and a lot of malt with a touch of citrus and coffee. Maybe just maybe a little coffee on the finish.

Drink- Well I hope after all these years Stone will always push boundries and continue to push boundries. A newer style but very balanced, tasty and unique. I probably wont age one as it states but I saw the 3L and said mmm...

08-18-2011 03:51:10 | More by FosterJM
MEsoJD

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Black body with large mocha head.

S: Smells of hops, roasted/toffee notes, sweet malt and dark fruits.

T: Stone defiantly delivers on the hops. Right off the bat your hit with bold hops, followed by creamy sweet malt. Grapefruit is also present. It gives off a smokey feel/taste. At first, I didn't get the dark chocolate and toffee, but give it some more sips and it comes out wonderfully.

M: Bold, creamy and smooth. Low carbonation.

O: Bold yet very drinkable. Hold on to a few. Beautiful beer. : )

08-18-2011 03:50:31 | More by MEsoJD
VelvetExtract

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A-Pours nearly pitch black. Finger high khaki head is born from the pour. The head retains quite well. Random splotches of lacing cling to the glass.

S-Big whiff of floral and piney hops. Along with the aggressive hop aroma is an equally sturdy dose of sweet roasted malts. Along with the roastiness is some really nice chocolate notes. An attractive nose, makes me very excited for the first sip.

T-A big, bold and assertive flavor. The bitterness from the piney hops is quite overwhelming at first, but I really enjoy it. After the hop assault comes an awesome wave of rich chocolate and fresh coffee. The malt and hop battle for power on the palate. This is a hardcore beer.

M-Fuller. Creamy and slightly resinous. Dry and bitter aftertaste. Great feel.

O/D-Stone has not hit the spot with me with its recent offerings. This one is a winner however. I love their Sublimely Self-Righteous offering, and this is a bigger version. They really kicked ass on this one, very happy.

08-18-2011 02:47:38 | More by VelvetExtract
notchucknorris

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

I haven't been impressed with Stone's beers in a long time. Collaborations included. This one was an absolute game changer for me.

A: Black with a gorgeous two finger light brown head. Spotty lacing down the glass. The beer poured way darker than I expected. Definitely nailed the "black" IPA thing.

S: Pretty nice citrus hop aroma with a bit of pine thrown in. A hint of roasted malt, earth and leather as well.

T: A lot of dark, roasted malts, piney hops, dark roasted coffee and a bit of tobacco on the finish. The balance is incredible and the nearly 11% ABV is well hidden. I does feel more like a hoppy stout than an IPA, but I love it, whatever you want to call it. The mouthfeel is a bit thick and syrupy, but it works. Well done, Stone.

08-17-2011 18:37:45 | More by notchucknorris
matttttYCE

Arizona

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance - Poured this one into a regular pint glass and what I got was quite a large 3 finger high, creamy looking, espresso colored head that leaves some nice sticky lacing around the glass as it fades down. Color of the beer pretty dark black.

Smell - Aroma is a mix between some pretty bright citrus, piney, resinous hops and roasted malts, slight dark chocolate, cocoa, and maybe a bit of coffee. At first I thought it was a bit like Sublimely, but as I smell it more, it's really its own kind of thing. Hoppier than Sublimely. I can't really tell you which one I prefer more, and I really like Sublimely. I love the mix of bright hops and smooth roasted malts/chocolate/etc.

Taste - Taste is really nice and much like the nose. A nice combination of citrus and piney/resinous hops (actually quite like an IPA), decent (but not too much) hop bitterness, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and cocoa. This is brighter and hoppier than I remember Sublimely being. It's almost closer to a hoppy stout than an American Black Ale, but I really like the combo.

Mouthfeel - Feel is really smooth and creamy. Cosistency is insanely smooth, carbonation is light-moderate and creamy, body is medium, and the finish is a little lingering but not in a bad way. It finishes with a nice note of bitterness, hops, and smooth roasted malts and chocolate flavors.

Overall - At first I wasn't sure if I could choose a favorite between this and Sublimely, but after finishing the second half of the bottle, I think I actually prefer this to Sublimely. That's really bold statement as some friends of mine will tell you I love Sublimely. I don't know what it is but the combination of the wonderful hoppiness and the roasted malt and chocolate qualities just works wonders for me...and Stone is just the best at it in my opinion. I highly doubt with Sublimely as a year-round beer, that they would turn this into one also, but I would be extatic if they did! At the very least, I'm going to have to go buy at least another 4 or 5 bottles of this. That's how much I love this beer!

08-17-2011 08:31:51 | More by matttttYCE
badboyrsl84

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Pours a black coffee color into the glass with a beautiful 2 inch tan head.

Smell- citrus, piney, roasted barley, and chocolate

Taste- roasted coffee, chocolate and citrus tones upfront with a nice hop kick in the backend of this. The chocolate remains in the aftertaste but is taken over slightly by the hop bitterness.

Overall- its a good beer and is a far different animal from the SR ipa. I love the chocolate flavor that stands out in this one. I strongly recommended!

08-17-2011 06:07:00 | More by badboyrsl84
PeprSprYoFace

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep stout black. Very nice oatmeal stout thick head. Sticky lacing

Aroma is lacking a bit for an IPA. But it does have a nice hoppyness. Some noble hops I think? and a nice stouty roast. Bit of dark chocolate and coffee.

Taste is more like a hoppy stout than a black IPA. It has alot of roastyness and caramel like a really good stout with some dark chocolate and a bit of coffee but a nice hoppyness that complements it well.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Nice lower carb.

Overall a very tasty brew but I think it should be called a hoppy stout not an IPA.

08-17-2011 03:36:47 | More by PeprSprYoFace
SDtastentune

A - Pours deep dark black almost, creamy head is there but not too much maybe 1/4 inch when poured slow, descends fast into a haze over. Some lace but not crazy all over the place.

S - Smell is vibrant hops, pungent dank fresh nectarine hop thing, a little Vinegary mixed with some darker malts back in there.

T - Taste is great! Up front is the fresh dank hops, then quickly it turns malts and sorta chocolaty /toasty flavor. A little hidden alcohol in there... but not much for how much is in this brew. I can say its pretty complex but balanced out very well. Smooth resiny full fresh hop grapfruit'ish like.

M - Feel is great, larger bubbles for carbonation, but medium carbed. Not overly carbonated, goes down silky then with a little carbonation on the end. Great aftertaste feel, slightly hot in the throat.

O - Overall this has to be one of the best black ipa's, and certainly the strongest right now. Not too many imperial/double BIPA's around and this one is GREAT... I would say make this into a normal release along side sublimely self righteous single black ipa. THUMBS WAY UP!

08-16-2011 23:10:45 | More by SDtastentune
dannydetox

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very excited to try the latest Stone anniversary ale when I heard it was a black IPA. This one delivered the goods quite well. Dark, dark body with a tan/dun colored head that dissipated quickly. Strong resiny hop aromas abound, touch of citrus but not as much as the SSR. The taste was wonderfully balanced between the roasted malts and the bitter hops. I experienced a blend of dark chocolate and toastiness that faded into a typically dry, bitter Stone finish. Alcohol (10.8!) was completely hidden in this offering; did not get any heat off this brew. Reckon I could have knocked back a few before realizing I was getting ripped. Excellent mouthfeel, too. Rounded and full without being heavy.

08-16-2011 03:28:31 | More by dannydetox
« first ‹ prev | 651-675 | 676-700 | 701-725  | next › last »
15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.