15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

22 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Black in color with a finger of lovely brown head. No lacing, and retention is pretty ok for such a high ABV. The black color is brilliantly deep, though.

S - Chocolate, roasted malts, and bitter grassy hops. Some dark fruit sweetness that I wasn't expecting. More stout than IPA.

T - Wow. Chocolate in droves, with a sweetness that is balanced by hop bitterness. I liken it to a chocolate stout blended with an especially bitter Double IPA, like Ruination.

M - Full bodied and a bit sticky initially but ends up drying in the finish. In every way this has the body of an Imperial stout, but with the dry finish of many IPAs.

O - Overall this is a phenomenal beer, truly. A strong Imperial Stout-y flavor that then leads into the bitter hoppiness of an IPA, but without a sharp divided between the two. The flavor and body flow from one stage to the next and blend in the interim in a way that perfectly compliments the many aspects of this beers flavor.

09-17-2011 23:04:53 | More by greenmonstah
NCbeerpirate

11-14-2011 22:42:47 | More by NCbeerpirate
Listers

04-19-2012 01:34:56 | More by Listers
ibbjamin

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Picked up a bomber of this new Stone brew from Perry's in Livermore, CA. I pour into a large snifter to review. Black IPA over 10% with an A rating on here? Sounds interesting.

Pours thick like a stout with an inch of dark colored stout-esque head. Black in color. A thin layer of retention and great lacing.

Quite hoppy nose, but still on the balanced side with a healthy dose of lightly roasted malt. Hints of chocolate, cream and vanilla but the resinous hops continue to push through. I cannot detect the high ABV.

Taste is much more stout than IPA for me. Much roastier than I anticipated with the chocolate and molasses pushing the hops aside. That ABV is being more detectable, but still well contained.

Full body, thick and somewhat creamy. Good levels of carbonation make this one very drinkable for its size. Long finish of roasted malt. The bitterness I detected in the nose is seemingly non existent now.

A good beer I suppose, but I was hoping for more hops on this one and ended up being let down a little. For what it is, a hoppy stout, in my opinion, it is a good beer.

09-02-2011 02:18:57 | More by ibbjamin
alkemy

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Out of the bomber…

A- To call it dark brown would be a misnomer. It’s so dark, let’s just call it black. There is some ruby highlighting around the edges of the glass when held to light. More than an inch of smoky taupe head that shrinks to about a quarter inch and then has plenty of staying power.

S- Very strong pine in the nose. Has a wet, swampy quality to it. There’s also a faint smoky molasses in the background.

T- Taste is complex. A bit like a barleywine right off the bat. Then some dark fruit quickly followed by the strong hop character. Smokiness intermingles, but really lingers in the finish. This sh*t’s good. It’s got a hint of the taste characteristics of a barleywine, with the strong pine goodness and some smokiness.

M- It’s silky smooth, but also has quite a bit of bite from the carbonation…silk at first and pine needles directly thereafter.

D- High. Smoky, pine finish leaves me wanting drink after drink. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

01-17-2012 21:31:36 | More by alkemy
jamescain

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a thick black with a brown head about two fingers thick that clings to the side of the glass and slowly fades into a lacing over the top.

Aroma: Strong citrus and pine notes mixed with chocolate and roasted aromas. Pungent.

Taste: Piney bitterness mixed with bitter chocolate and roasted grains with a touch of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy with a lingering bitter finish. I see why they call it an Imperial black IPA.

Overall: If I didn't know any better from looking at the beer I would assume it was and RIS. Once you smell it you know it is not though. Of the three Stone anniversary beers I've had, this is my favorite so far.

09-09-2011 15:23:26 | More by jamescain

South Carolina

11-29-2011 00:23:52 | More by jfstilling
TommyW

4.05/5  rDev -4%

A- Very stout-like appearance. Black body with a tan head that starting at about 2 fingers and faded to a thin layer.

S- Smell was very full of fruity hops with a notes of burnt/toasted malts towards the finish.

T- Followed the nose very well. Big IPA-like hop presence up-front (very fruity hop profile). Slight notes of toasted and burnt malts make a quick appearance toward the finish.

M - Medium carb. smooth feel.

D- The first few sips of this beer were awesome, but it became a little much on the palate towards the end of the bottle. A solid beer though, that i'm becoming a bigger fan of.

08-26-2011 22:01:40 | More by TommyW
CSQ1111

Kentucky

11-21-2011 22:48:13 | More by CSQ1111
roodie

Enjoyed on tap at the Flying Saucer, Houston

~8 oz pour into a snifter

A: pours a dark coffee black, with 2 fingers of espresso head. Low retention, light lacing. dark coloring belies the hoppy potential

S: mild citrus with a hoppy, bitter, pungent backbone like a spicerack. odd, but working for me

T: bitter and piney; roasty malts give off a muted sweetness, very good.

M: a bit chalky with lingering bitterness. leaves a velvety coating blending the best qualities of a stout and heavily hopped beer

O: A great beer, better than most Black IPAs, I think Stone does this style well. A strong beer for sure, but hides it's punch till the end!

09-25-2011 05:49:47 | More by roodie
ineva

11-17-2011 23:03:03 | More by ineva
StoneBrewFanatic

A - Pours black into my snifter with a little over one finger of dense light brown head and has moderate retention and decent lacing.

S - Big hop aroma, very piny, resinous, and has grapefruit citrus. Once you get past the hops there are notes of toasted malts, bitter espresso and faint chocolate.

T - Follows the nose, grapefruit, pine, resinous hops that linger on the palate from start to finish, malt presence is there, bitter espresso is noticeable and dry cocoa with a slight alcohol burn.

M - Big and bold, full body with really well balanced carbonation.

O - I am not crazy about this style and this is not my favorite thing to come out of Stone, that's for sure. However, I get the concept and have had a few decent "Black IPA's" and although these roasted citrus combinations aren't that common we do find them in Africa/Arabia coffee bean varieties naturally. I am trying to keep this in mind when I start to think these flavors don't go together, because sometimes they can and do.

10-02-2011 20:51:19 | More by StoneBrewFanatic
mcorwin

11-18-2011 03:00:22 | More by mcorwin
flannelman808

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours dark brown with a reddish copper hint. Light brown head pours with a generous amount of cake batter head (typical stone protein). If it ever disappears Ill make a note about the lacing... Retention is fantastic.
Eventually this shows good lacing. Head retention is Duvel status
S: Smells interesting... Chocolate and hop pollen jump out first, but there are some underlying notes of orange peel, lime, pepper, and there is a kind of aroma which reminds me of salinity as well.

T: Milk chocolate (think Ovaltine), Black pepper (and lavender?!), Orange pith and rind, Lime pith, molasses, and pine needles finish it up. Sweet start and a bitter finish works for me! Typically I find this style a misnomer usually belonging in the Russian Imperial Stout category. This isn't very far from a RIS but it does separate its self with spicy and fruity notes. Lastly Ill mention that the 10.8% ABV is well incorporated into its flavors, not hidden parse but well received.

M: Very well done in this department. Its got a velvet fizz thing happening.

O: Pretty darn good beer. Not quite up there with the ranks of Uinta Dubhe IBIPA (In my not so humble opinion the very best of style) but its pretty darn good and one of the better more inventive beers I have tried within the style. Also per usual its only $5.95 for a bomber which makes for a retarded like value.

08-20-2011 09:47:44 | More by flannelman808
pburland23

3.43/5  rDev -18.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured from a 22 ounce bombed into my Great Divide tulip.

Pours a stout-like opaque dark black with two and half towering fingers of mocha colored head. Moderate head retention and a ridiculous draping of thick, clingy lacing.

Smell is underwhelming. I was expecting a real, quintessential Stone hop bomb. But, the preeminent aroma was more dark candied sugar and sweet malt. At the tale end of the nose, there's a whiff of dank, earthy hops. Wish there had been more.

Taste start off overly sweet and malty. Then, there's a huge wallop of biting hops bitterness in the middle of the sip which slips away to a slight touch of roastiness. The happiness mellowed as the beer warmed, but this one tasted more black ale and less IPA throughout.

Mouthfeel is mildly thick with a healthy dose of carbonation. High ABV but the booze is hidden quite well.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Stone is using spot on but this one misses the mark. The flavored are muddled and the beer suffers from an identity crisis.

12-04-2011 19:18:32 | More by pburland23

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

03-06-2012 19:38:40 | More by buffs9
readbaron

2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Served at Acre's stone tap takeover

Pours black with large tan head that laces up nicely and sticks around for a while.

Whew. I'm not sure what happened on the nose - smell is not to my liking. I get soy sauce and fermented broccoli. Blech. As I get used to it I can tell that it's a combination of piney hops mixed with roasty malts. The combo ends up pungent and not so tasty.

Tastes better than it smells. Very hoppy, with lots of roasty malts. Bitter and boozy with some of that unusual soy sauce flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is quite nice - creamy and smooth. Medium bodied, and a bit sticky.

Overall, the nose just kills this one for me.

08-31-2011 18:41:16 | More by readbaron
FirstBrewsoon

01-15-2012 15:01:34 | More by FirstBrewsoon
yokken

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

Got a bomber of this on my visit to California; I'll be visiting Stone in two days.

My father and I split this. First off, wow, that's thick. And it's certainly black. My first whiff had me reeling. It's extremely potent... hops flood my nasal passages. A pungent soy sauce flavor overwhelms me. It's very sweet.

The first sip is incredibly bitter. Sweet as well. The ABV of this beer doesn't hide, in my opinion, like some Double IPAs can do. I don't look forward to the next sip of this beer. And that's just it--this is a sipping beer. It's incredibly flavorful. It stops everything, and forces me to focus on how bitter and overwhelming the flavor is.

The aftertaste is the best part, and quite possibly the only thing I enjoy about this beer. There's an incredible coffee aftertaste reminding me of a coffee stout. I also detect chocolate and toffee undertones. Someone else here on BA noted figs as well, which I also subtly taste. But coffee and soy sauce are two huge flavors here, and I'm not the most fond of those. I'm much more of an IPA guy.

Compared to other black IPAs, this is something else entirely. It is so pungent, so powerful, so overwhelming, that I would probably never choose to drink this again. The flavor kills my palate more than a double IPA and I'm here wishing I had bought a bottle of something else. I love a lot of Stone's brews, but this sure isn't one of them.

03-14-2012 05:18:48 | More by yokken
obywan59

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

"August 2011, Bottle Conditioned, Enjoy fresh" on the bottle.

Pours an incredible very dark brown to almost black with a 1 1/2 finger thick, creamy, tan head in my oversize wine glass.

Amazing fresh grassy hops with chocolate, coffee, light over-ripe citrus, toasted malt, and spicy alcohol. Stone is famous for being "over the top", but this has to be their best aroma ever!

Sweet at first, but bitterness rises strongly. Dark roasted malts are coffee-like. Spice and alcohol.

Medium-thick and creamy with some bite. Warming alcohol in the throat.

Another winner from Stone. Stand up and embrace this revolution in beer. "Those that don't think they have been oppressed are already lost".

09-25-2011 03:46:58 | More by obywan59
gafferjohn

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

01-17-2012 02:05:34 | More by gafferjohn
Jstark5150

11-19-2011 06:49:59 | More by Jstark5150
15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.