15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 713 | Hads: 1,419
4.36/5  rDev +4.3%

From the bottle to a tulip glass

A - Pours an almost "all-but" black (faint hints of brown) with a thick, excellent bubbly dark tan head and thick lacing.

S - Piny hops smells (some citrus as well) and very little malts. What I do smell of the malts is definitely on the sweeter and roasted end of it.

T - Nice hop flavors that balance with hints of pine, citrus, and other fruits. The malt shines through a little with sweet, roasted flavor (of a chocolate nature).

M - Medium bodied, with a creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Hops aftertaste that lingers. Alcohol is well hidden.

O - I enjoyed Stone's 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA. It has big hop flavor with a surprising creamyness. It's one of the better Black IPAs I have had and I hope to enjoy it again soon!

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Black .. not even a shade of ruby or brown here. Excellent head retention. Mocha colored foam, lacing.

S: Citrus, mainly grapefruit and misc. tropical fruits. Not much roasted malts here aside from a hint of coffee.

T: Mild roasted malts, light coffee w/cream, milk chocolate followed by a nice mix of dried pineapple, pine, woodsy hop flavors.

M: Creamy, the roasted malts are more pronounced as the beer warms up, almost overtaking the hops. Both hide the the alcohol well.

O: Top notch Black IPA, probably the best I've had of the style.

From 11/15/11 notes. Had on tap at Fireworks in Arlington, VA at their Stone steal the pint night event. Poured in a 10 oz. tulip.

a - Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with one finger of very dark brown head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, roasted malts, a tiny bit soapy. As expected, lots of hops and roasted notes. Hops are a little more dominant, but it's a nice mix.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, citrus hops, sweet smooth chocolate, pine hops, grapefruit. Again, very hoppy and roasted, but the roasted malts and chocolate come out a lot more here than in the nose. A nice step up from the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Light bitterness from the hops up front, than smooth thanks to the malts. Surprisingly easy to drink considering the high ABV.

o - Overall a very nice Black IPA; one of the better ones I've had. Didn't enjoy it as much as the sublimely self-righteous ale, but still good. Would have it again.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

All in all...the best Black IPA I've ever tasted...although I'm definitely not a great fan of the style. Still, this one had a depth and complexity that makes it a laudible effort. Deep boozy tobacco note melange with a chocolate espresso hoppy resin. Would I choose this over a Founders Porter?...not a chance. But when matched against other Black IPA's, it more than holds it's own.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

a - poured a two-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a snifter that left long-lasting sheeting and sticky lace throughout. the body was dark black with some brown hints.
s - big pine aroma with some chocolate sweetness underneath. the chocolate begins to come through more as it warms.
t - burnt chocolate and big piney hops.
m - this is so creamy and smooth, incredible.
o - a winner in my book, this is almost up there with the 10th as my favorite of stone's anniversary beers.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A deep, dark brown-black color with a muscular light brown head and gobs of lacing. The aroma is a pleasant chocolate malt with a bit of pissy citrus hop, a tad musty in a nice, herbal way. The flavor brings a hefty coffee-chocolate malt mixed tastefully with pronounced evergreen hops and citrus highlights. This is a medium-full bodied brew with a luscious feel and mid-range carbonation. This stuff is awesome. Thick but drinkable, tasty hop malt bomb. Big hit for me, love it!

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from Notes, Poured into a Tulip

A: wife's reaction was "good lord," blacker than black, aggressive pour yield a huge tan head, sheets of lacing

N: coffee and hops, not as vibrant as when I had it tap, but still good

T: loads of coffee and chocolate, which is more prominent than I remember from previous tastings, but as the hops take a back seat clearly the beer changes, still hints of hop bitterness and plenty of roast

M: smooth and medium, good the style

O: excellent representative of the style, Stone nails this one everytime

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

22 oz bottle

A: Dark black body under a good sized brown head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Mix of roasted and chocolate malt with a background of citrus hops. Nice balance in the aroma.

T: Very roasted taste, with some hints of chocolate. Unfortunately, there is a hint of "burnt" there also. Not getting a lot of hop taste, but certainly a big bitterness in the finish. Alcohol apparent in a decent warmth on the way down. Fairly unbalanced.

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation is not too high. Drinkability is fair. A big beer that is a bit out of balanced in the taste depart.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance. Pours black with over a finger of nice deep tan head that leaves some great lacing.

Smell. Lots of caramel malts and citrus, some roastyness too. Big grapefruit rinds, some pine and some slightly herby hops.

Taste. Roasty malts, big grapefruity hops, some dark chocolate and caramel and a little mango. Nice roasty citrus rind bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Pretty full body with medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Pretty nice black ipa if you're in the mood for something huge. Possibly not the best choice for this lazy sunday morning? Who am I kidding, by the time it's gone I'll be patting myself on the back for such a wise decision!!!

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A- A nice looking brew, pitch black with a nice two finger head at the top that was nice and frothy, the stickyness surrounded lacing around the glass.

S- A nice hop scent throughout, with hints of some dark fruits and bits of chocolate, a nice scent to this Stone brew.

T- A nice roasted coffee taste up front with hints of chocolates and hops. The boldness of the beer is nice, perfect balance in flavor throughout.Slight taste of whiskey and oak as well, tastes better as it warms.

M- Nice creamy and thick brew, not to much carbonation on this one.

O- This beer is perfect for the winter months, had this one by the fire at night. Great balance on this beer

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 1 pt 6 oz bottle into a JFF is my BFF novelty pint glass.

A: Poured a one fingered tan head. The body appears black as a stout. Most of the time when I see colors like this I expect flavor, hopefully Stone will not disappoint.
This head does stay thinly while lacing amazingly all over and throughout the glass.

S: This definitely smells sweet. Hops are in this head dominantly, but the chocolate definitely makes its home in this brew. This smell brings some of my most favorite smell in a brew. This reminds me of a Stout and a IPA all at once.

T: Pine hit my mouth, but then it was followed by chocolate. I felt like I was in bliss at that moment. Pine is so delicious here. Somehow in-between the pine and chocolate a bitter hop appearance even comes. I want to just cry because of this beauty. After a slight warming up the alcohol does make it's presence.

M: The creaminess of the lasting head definitely makes its presence known. The body is everything that I wanted it to be. The body is thick and the carbonation is moderate and since the head stays that is all I truly desired out of it.

O: For a beer that I heard very mixed things about from decent to good I felt like I was lied to. This is everything I could want in a beer. Every sip I take of this is just as strong as the last and it never feels old. I only wish I picked a better occasion for this. Right before the alcohol made it's presence I started to feel this beer and wow did I feel it. As this warms up it becomes a Pine bomb and I love Pine and at the moment I am living in the Piney Woods of Texas. This is the best beer to symbolize where I currently live. Feels adventurous at first, but then it settles to something that you learn to love.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Not a beer for the timid! Oh man I like this one. Big piney hops smack you in the face upon opening...this is a good thing in my opinion...pours BLACK as stone. This is the beer that I give my friends that think that they are living on the edge by drinking blue moon. Complete domination! Smells of BIG piney hops with bitterness to back it up. It taste like a Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale on steroids. Give it a shot if you cross paths.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone 15th Anniversary Ale pours a very dark chocolate fudge color. It’s onyx and opaque. I’m not seeing any light cut through. It’s topped with a dark, mocha colored head that rises to nearly two fingers in height. It dissipates rather slowly, leaving a very sticky web of lace trailing down the glass. Very impressive.

The nose is quite good. It features a nice mix of roasted and chocolate malts. Bittersweet dark chocolate and cocoa are present. Roasted coffee is also in the mix and works well with the malt base. There are definitely strong hop notes of citrus grapefruit and orange, pine, and grass. It smells a little more balanced than I anticipated. Alcohol is definitely there, but doesn’t come through too strong. 10.8%? Really? Wow.

The flavor is very impressive. It’s even a notch above the nose. It kicks off with a really nice malty mix of bittersweet dark chocolate, cocoa, and roasted malts. It anchors things down really well. Hops follow and add a really nice dimension to the flavor. Citrus grapefruit and orange flavors are most notable. However, there are some strong piney and grassy notes, as well. It’s definitely bitter. More bitter than I anticipated. It definitely seems skewed in the hop direction more than the nose suggests. Alcohol is there, but isn’t warm or hot. I still wouldn’t guess nearly 11% abv. Finishes with a nice mix of chocolate flavor and bitter hops.

The body seems medium, perhaps a tad lighter than that. It feels a bit thin for what it is. Carbonation is relatively light, but it needs more body to smooth it. For big beer though, it goes down pretty easy.

I really like Stone’s 15th Anniversary Ale. It’s loads better than the 14th Anniversary release. If you’re into big, aggressive American Black Ales, this is for you. The only small gripe I have is the body. It seems a bit too thin. Very impressive all-around otherwise. Grab a few while you can!

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours pitch black with a thin finger of dense brown foam. Not even a hint of highlighting, no light is penetrating this. Good lacing. Northwestern hops are very evident in a piney, resinous, even spruce tree aroma. Strong, even before the beer has really warmed to a proper drinking temperature, but not at all overpowering. And then, I get just a slight hint of medicinality at the tail end.

The flavor... I don't know; can something be intense and subtle at the same time? I feel like that's the best way to describe this hoppiness. It's very present, right up front and every bit as pine tree as on the nose... but doesn't linger, and gives way to a slight roasted malt background. And there is a hint of alcohol warmth, felt more in the gut than the mouth or throat. Very smooth and medium bodied, on the light side in carbonation.

This is a really fine beer, yet conflicting for me. I tell myself that I have no great love for hops, but I keep subjecting myself to beers like this anyway. This could be the best hoppy beer on the planet, and I'll like it just fine, but still prefer a good bourbon barrel stout or Belgian quad. Maybe that's just a failing scoring beers in general. The beer may be flawless, but I feel weird scoring it five out of five when there are so many others, whole styles, that I would prefer to drink. Is that an argument for or against rating to style?

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Been sitting on this one for a little while, excited to finally try it. My favorite beer of this style, whatever you want to call it, is Sublimely Self-Righteous. So curious what Stone can do when they turn up the volume to 11 (in honor of Nigel Tufnel Day).

Pours very dark, essentially black, with no light coming through, even at the edges. Massive mocha-colored head, long retention and great lacing. This looks like an amazing stout, and if I were just looking at it, that's what I'd think it was.

Smell is a super-smooth blend of dark roasted malts and resiny, citrusy hops. The malts bring dark roasted coffee. The hops bring a hint of pine and a touch of grapefruit. Fantastic.

Taste is dark, rich, with a bit of char and a bit of hop bite. A nice combination, though not as smooth as the smell. Coffee comes through. Finishes bitter, slightly sharp.

Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, but smooth and silky on the tongue. Fades out right when I want it to, with only a bit of lingering bitterness. Carbonation is on the low end, but surges late, mixing the flavors up right when I want it to. Alcohol comes through late, but barely. I can hardly believe this is nearly 11% ABV.

A fantastic black ale. Heavier on the malts than many examples, and with a thick mouthfeel more typical of a stout. This beer really blurs the boundaries, even moreso than this style typically does. Drinks more like a hopped-up stout to me, but has those nice aromatic hops to brighten things up. Wonderful beer.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

The appearance on this beer is what I thought was most impressive. Even though this is a great beer across the board, I thought how it looked right after I poured it is what made me really like it. The head on the beer was about 3 fingers thick and a very tan color. The beer looks like it could be a stout, but does not taste like one.

The smell is very nice, with a hoppy smell and a hint of chocolate. It smells like a stone, but that has much more too it then just barley and hops.

The taste is more complex than most stone's, that it has a flavor other than hops and barley. It looks like a stout tastes like an IPA but not bitter at all. It has that sweet chocolate taste that makes it very nice.

The mouthfeel has a medium body. Nothing that heavy but its also pretty dark so don't expect to just put it down.

I would try this beer, at around 8 bucks with over 10% its worth trying for sure. It has a nice rich taste, and is a lot different than most of the stone's.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a three finger cream-colored head. Dissipates to a nice lacing that sticks to the sides and a substantial cap.

S - Piney hops is the majority of the aroma with a light chocolate and maltiness in the background.

T - Chocolate with a mild hops that intensifies as you swallow. Bitterness lingers for a while afterwards.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Perfect for the flavors.

O - Great way to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Stone. Nice flavor while still giving a good IPA bite. Slightly stronger flavor to push through the hops would improve it. Still a great beer I would recommend trying while you still can.

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Wait, this is not a stout? I can't agree with that by looking at it. Black pour, thick light brown head with amazing retention and a ton of lacing down the side of the glass. An intimidating cap rests atop the beer after a good while.

S: Wait, now my mind is really blown. This smells like an IPA. Big hit of hops, but with a lot of chocolate and roastiness underneath. As I continue to smell, my brain connects this strange aroma to plastic. Which I found to be strange. Booze is noted as well.

T: The taste is a bit better than the smell, but not all the great. Pretty much like the smell, the hops start it off dry, citrusy and a bit grassy, but they are taken over by chocolate and malts. A dry hoppy taste resides on the backend, providing a bit of refreshment from the unexpected taste for your palate.

MF: Heavy and carbonated well, this one is not to be messed with. Again, the 10% ABV is not entirely hidden.

O: I thought this might improve as it warmed, but it didn't really. It was only ok. Full of strange tastes and smells. Interesting attempt though!

Poured from the tap into a pint glass.

The color is dark black with two fingers of foamy brownish head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell has some nice dark malt aroma. There is a bit of a chocolate-like flavor. There is some toasty flavor that is coming in and out as well.

The taste is more toasty malt flavor with some nice hop flavor that is giving off some nice balance. There is a burnt bread flavor way in the back and does come out slightly as the hops come out to the front again toward the end.

The feel of this beer is pretty even and smooth. There is a nice balance of dark malt with a good amount of bitterness that has a smooth feel as it goes down.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from bomber to pint glass, with 2 finger head, body is absolutely black as night. Heavy lacing followed from top to bottom.

Smells very strong of piney hops, close to burnt. Touch of coffee, malts and slight sweetness.

Very strong taste of hops up front into a roasted flavor followed by coffee and minor chocolate taste. Seems to finish with a tart fruity flavor. 10% is noticeable but not imposing.

Bitter fruity flavor medium body average carbonation.

Overall very nice beer great hop heavy flavor, accompanied by roasted fruit and small amounts of chocolate. 10% is nice bonus to a good tasting beer.

Bomber to pint glass
A – 2+ finger dense tan head with excellent retention and lots of lace, beer is a totally opaque black 4.5
S – Deeply roasted dark malts, dark chocolate, coffee, a citrus sweetness, mild chocolate and some herbal notes 4
T – A large malt & hop bill here… Roasted bitter chocolate malts, to coffee, to a floral citrus hop finish. Alcohol more pronounced as it warms, with good balance. Certainly fits the style, and what a show of malts and hops in the same brew. 4
M – A chewy & smooth brew with a full body, milder than expected alcohol warmth, carbonation provides a velvet mouth feel. I can taste this brew long after my last drink. 4.5
O – A big beer with exceptional drinkability. Roasted malts all over and covered with a thick layer of hoppy goodness, a good (and recommended) juxtaposition of stout and ipa characteristics. 4

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to Adam @ Platinum

Pour is midnight black with nice tanned head, rather imperial stouty in appearance all round.

Citric (orange) hops on a big barleywine-esque malt base, lots of licorice, soot. Some vegetal and alcohol (Cointreau) notes.

Taste is perhaps closest to a barleywine but with a fair bit of roast and roast bitterness in conjunction with hop bitterness and loads of hop resins and flavour. Malty, syrup, hoppy; sweet but bitter.

Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy, somewhat thin, somewhat carbonated, somewhat sweet, quite bitter; especially as it goes down.

Decadent beer. Bomber may be slightly cloying, but in a good way. I do think it succeeds more because they go all out on the ingredients than because it is particularly well designed though.

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz into a pint

A - Pours deep, dark, thick black color. Very viscous. Head formation is mocha colored, well retained at a thick film. Incredible lacing.

S - Starts off lightly sweet, some dark chocolate malts. Getting a little more hopping character in the mid-stream. Lots of bittersweet chocolate, a little bit of roast. Certainly on the sweeter side. Hopping is fairly well restrained, doesn't show itself to carry much IPA character.

T - Finishes with the most roast, the most bitterness, almost coming off burnt.

M - Thick and full bodied, tongue grabbing bitterness at times. A little bit of alcohol warmth, but certainly below what you would think for this style.

O/D - A little bit hard to drink, a really over the top attack of harsher malts. Hopping isn't really the most defining attribute. The ABV on this beer puts it above a more sessionable winter beer. I'd like to go compare it to the RIS just to see how they tried to vary up the ingredients.

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%

Dark stout-like pour of dark brown, settling a solid ebon chunk capped with a boldly tanned brown foam that lifts to about two fingers high and keeps its seat for a good length. Some stringy spongey lacing is stuck abput the glass.

Aroma is of a buzzing orangey citrusy hoppyness capped well with a soft milky chocolate bitterness roasted with a bit of char.

Taste is totally Stone; something I've come to enjoy about their brews...balance. And this has plenty of it. Nothing overwhelming as usaul with most of their stuff; taken in first is a slender tang of dark orange marmalade and dark sappy pine, quickly forwardring itself is a moderate chocolate waft of sweet smooth chocolate that underlays the hops dancing upfront with a very solid balance. A bit more pine and smoothly softened roast build across the palate just after the midway point. Where it levels off with an ease of bitter orange and chocolate mixing.
If you've ever had a dark chocolate truffle with an orange creme center, this is a very close represtation of that taste. Nummy!

Slimming yet bold medium body with a smoooth tender tone and even smoother carbonation that allows for a nice sessionable ale. It does seem to build a girthyness as it closes into the finish where the roasty twang and chocolate sweetness stick on the palate with a bit of the orangey hoppyness popping about.

Happy 15th Stone! Thanks for the yummyness over the years and keep em coming! This stuff is yummytrific!

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into my oversized wine glass. This beer pours a very dark brown/black color. Has a nice tan head about an inch thick that settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a bit of a film layer of foam on the surface. Decent lace. Nice citrus, piney hop aroma along with smells of some roasted malt, a bit of chocolate and coffee, and a hint of dark fruit. Has a nice earthy, piney, and somewhat citrusy hop flavor upfront along with a roasted chocolate and coffee malt flavor. Hints of plum and raisin round out the taste. The flavors certainly balance out nicely as the beer sits and warms a bit. Has a slightly crisp, and mainly smooth and frothy, medium to fill bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is like a milkshake, but without the ice coldness. The sweet chocolate flavor really finishes out, at least that was my experience. Excellent! Stone continues their streak of greatness once again!

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.