15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,416 | Reviews: 712
3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber of this new Stone brew from Perry's in Livermore, CA. I pour into a large snifter to review. Black IPA over 10% with an A rating on here? Sounds interesting.

Pours thick like a stout with an inch of dark colored stout-esque head. Black in color. A thin layer of retention and great lacing.

Quite hoppy nose, but still on the balanced side with a healthy dose of lightly roasted malt. Hints of chocolate, cream and vanilla but the resinous hops continue to push through. I cannot detect the high ABV.

Taste is much more stout than IPA for me. Much roastier than I anticipated with the chocolate and molasses pushing the hops aside. That ABV is being more detectable, but still well contained.

Full body, thick and somewhat creamy. Good levels of carbonation make this one very drinkable for its size. Long finish of roasted malt. The bitterness I detected in the nose is seemingly non existent now.

A good beer I suppose, but I was hoping for more hops on this one and ended up being let down a little. For what it is, a hoppy stout, in my opinion, it is a good beer.

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber.

A- Pours a deep brown/black color with a thick coffee colored head that leaves nice lacing.

S- Spicy pine hop aroma with a touch of smoke. Earth and malt but a bit muted overall.

T- This drinks like one hell of a hoppy stout. Huge hop bitterness and flavor initially with pine and hop resin. Smoked malt and charred flavor in the finish with a wallop of alcohol. Dank and smoky at the same time. It feels like more of a competition between hops and sweet malt then a melding together of flavors.

M- Full bodied with good carbonation.

O- Overall a very interesting brew. I think I prefer SSR over this one, but a few years in the cellar and the hops should fade to leave a pretty nice stout behind.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip.

A - Pours a midnight black with a bit of dark chocolate brown creeping in around the edges. Completely opaque with no hint of any activity within the glass. A huge, 3-finger head begins forming slowly at first, but then quickly gains steam before finally ending in a mushroom-shaped cloud, with a multitude of small bubbles giving it some additional creaminess. Some pretty nice retention and when it's gone, it leaves a little circular cap of foam in the middle of the glass. Great lacing as well, draping the sides with thick slabs of foam.

S - My first smell is full of hops and almost only hops. It is much more bright and vibrant than I was expecting given the style and color, but it is also quite refreshing. A decent amount of citrus, but for the most part the hops are mainly giving off wet, sticky pine resin. I don't think I've ever had a Black IPA that was as fresh as this and imparts so much hop presence. In fact, I'm getting very little malt in the form of roast, and just a touch of chocolate that belays the hops. Is that brown sugar as well?

T - After the impressive nose, I have myself pumped for the taste. I'm going to say right away that it is definitely a few notches lower than the aroma. In fact, at first, I wasn't a fan at all. It was too muddled, too frantic and didn't have any personality to it. It jumped from malt to hop and back again constantly and didn't allow the palate to get a firm grip on it. It does, however, settle down a bit as it rests. When it's a bit colder, the malts steal the show, bringing bold roast, rich cocoa, and again, I'm getting that sweet brown sugar characteristic from the nose. The hops start coming through in the mid-palate, here in the form of more earthy, spicy hops rather than the pine sap in the aroma. It's kind of a two-headed monster in that regard; I would've loved for the pine to continue in the taste, but I feel that these more gritty, earthy hops complement the malts and roast. The grapefruit and pine do resurge late, but even when it warms, it still doesn't seem to be entirely cohesive, unfortunately.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with high carbonation. The finish is doubly bitter, both because of the roast and the hops, and it's a bit on the drier side. The head lends it some creaminess.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. I can't say I wasn't expecting a bit more from this, especially after the amazing appearance and nose. But it definitely does have a unique flavor that is worth experiencing. Thankfully as it warms it does come together more succinctly, so if you have this, plan on drinking it over an extended session.

3.59/5  rDev -14.9%

Bomber poured into an oversized wine glass, split with the wifey.

Ap- Dark, Dark brown, pretty much black. Small tan head that vanished pretty quick.

Ar- roasted, burnt malts with a some piney hops, oh and alcohol.

T- coffee, roasted, burnt malts. piney hops come through at the end. After holding this beer in my mouth for a while I can finally feel the oily hops.

M- medium body, decent carbo for this style.

O- not as good as I was hoping, but it was still a good beer. I honestly don't know if I would buy it again.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Let me say first off that I was very much anticipating this beer after I first heard about it. When I tried Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale it blew my mind. I loved it. Then when I heard of another Black IPA by Stone it got me very excited.

The Escondidian is a good-looking brew. It's black as midnight. You can't see through it at all although I will say if you hold the bottle up the right way to a light source you can see sediment swirling around in it. The head doesn't get too big and it takes a little while to form into its lovely tan and creamy self. It has good retention and a bit of the head remains on top throughout drinking.

The smell is dominated by hops and booze. Tropical fruits and roastiness lay underneath. I couldn't get much more than that.

The taste is very much like the smell. Hops hit you really hard immediately with bitterness. Mango tropical fruit sweetness adds more complexity but it's quickly dominated by alcohol burn. I could get a bit of roasted malt (cocoa and coffee) in there but the hops and alcohol were too strong. Some molasses sweetness in there too like an RIS.

Mouthfeel is very syrupy throughout after a hoppy dry beginning. Medium carbonation and a medium-full body.

I'll be honest. I was disappointed in the Escondidian. I had high hopes for it, and why not? Stone routinely makes excellent beers and I love their SSR. All signs pointed to an awesome beer, however, the hops and alcohol in this are simply too strong and aren't balanced with the rest. I love hoppy beers and I tend to like high ABV beers too but in this case it's all too dominating. It's hard to taste awesome stout-like flavors when my taste buds are first bombarded by hops and then numbed by alcohol. I thought it might have just been my opinion but my brother who was drinking his own bottle with me agreed with everything I said. This isn't a bad beer. It tastes fine but it's not balanced. I'd choose the SSR over this any day.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle into Gulden Draak tulip.

A: Pours a very very dark brown with a huge mocha colored dense head that took forever and a day to slowly fade into fuzzy film that left thick streaks of lacing down the glass.
S: In typical Stone fashion I get a huge blast of pine and grapefruit citrus hops, but this ipa is ‘black’ because I get equally as strong notes of roasted malt, coffee and dark chocolate. There is also a bit of volatile alcohol.
T: Follows the nose with a great balance between fresh pine resin and grapefruit hops and rich dark chocolate, roasted malt and acidic coffee. The finish is bitter and a fairly acidic, and the aftertaste is a bit rough and boozy. Flavors are rich and powerful overall.
M: Thick body, greasy slick mouthfeel that’s actually a bit rough. The carbonation is fine, but there is a bit too much solventy alcohol and acid for me to really want to finish the bottle.
O: Good, maybe a bit rough around the edges, but definitely not as good as Sublimely Self-Righteous. I wish it was just a bit smoother.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip. I don't understand the love for this...

Black with a creamy, khaki head with a long lasting finger thick head and clumpy lacing. Roast chocolate and malt dominate around with mild pine and resin hops. Much more malt forward than expected in the flavor, with roast and chocolate and a bitter finish without a particularly interesting hop flavor. Light pine and grapefruit rind linger. Medium thick body with average carbonation and a persistent bitterness. Not bad, balance is relative for a Stone beer and this ABV, but the malt is the only part that seems imperial here.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a dark brown/black color with a mocha-colored foam. It smells exactly as you'd expect, citrusy hops + roasted malts and a hit of ethanol. Some cocoa too (which wasn't expected).

Way too much roasty flavor for me to like this, big malt bill filled with heavily roasted grains. Chocolaty and toasty, with the hops giving more counterpoint than counterbalance. Basically this is a hoppy stout.

A little bit of burn at the end of each sip, strong stuff. Just not my style I guess.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz into a pint

A - Pours deep, dark, thick black color. Very viscous. Head formation is mocha colored, well retained at a thick film. Incredible lacing.

S - Starts off lightly sweet, some dark chocolate malts. Getting a little more hopping character in the mid-stream. Lots of bittersweet chocolate, a little bit of roast. Certainly on the sweeter side. Hopping is fairly well restrained, doesn't show itself to carry much IPA character.

T - Finishes with the most roast, the most bitterness, almost coming off burnt.

M - Thick and full bodied, tongue grabbing bitterness at times. A little bit of alcohol warmth, but certainly below what you would think for this style.

O/D - A little bit hard to drink, a really over the top attack of harsher malts. Hopping isn't really the most defining attribute. The ABV on this beer puts it above a more sessionable winter beer. I'd like to go compare it to the RIS just to see how they tried to vary up the ingredients.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost black with a fluffy, mocha-tinted head of varying bubble structure. Sort of like a thick root beer float. Moderate alcohol legs.

Nose is dominated by bitter hop and citrus fruit, and some sharp citrus rind. Not much else present.

Taste follows the nose. Very bitter up front, in the middle and on the back of the palate. Hops and bitter citrus galore. There is a mild alcohol warming sensation in the finish, and possibly some espresso notes throughout. Some dark roasted character as well.

Mouthfeel is medium, very effervescent. Moderate carbonation, bitter aftertaste.

Overall a solid brew. A little bitter for my palate, but if you are a fan of huge west coast IPAs you would probably enjoy this.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours jet black with a light brown head. In the aroma, chocolate roast and a citrus hop. In the taste, a small citrus and a dry coffee and chocolate roast. A small hop and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry chocolate and coffee like aftertaste. More a hoppy porter, nice, but porter like.

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

On-tap served on a Pint glass.

A: black body with a two finger tanned head, wall light brown lacing present.

S: strong oak wood smell with hoppy herbal tones. Presents the beer fairly well.

T: strong earthy tones, strong hop flavor, very herbal and passion fruit/orange feel. There is a big bitter kick in the palate at the end. A bit too strong for my liking.

M: medium to full body with low to medium carbonation. Best enjoyed slowly.

O: I found this beer to be a bit too strong and aggressive for my taste. The bitterness at the end gets in the way of fully enjoying this beer in my opinion. Hops fans should be pleased though.

3.49/5  rDev -17.3%

Dark brown and good brown head with poor retention. More of a roasted malt aroma with a touch of pine. The roasted malts are more pronounced with good balance in sweetness and good pine and chocolate notes. Fairly thin feel.

Oddly it was not as enjoyable as it was out of the bottle which I felt was true of it on tap as well. It seemed thin and almost unfinished. It didn’t have the strong pine hop content of the bottle. A good beer, but I’d rather buy another bottle.

3.49/5  rDev -17.3%

Served on tap in a snifter at the Stone Tap Takeover at Acre.

Appearance: The appearance of every Stone beer shows their care and devotion to the craft. Black in color with brown edges and a tan cap, this big American Black Ale retains remarkably well for the ABV and leaves some nice lace down the glass.

Smell: The aroma is dark roasted malt, coffee, soy sauce, and some piney hops with a touch of ethyl alcohol.

Taste: Unfortunately, the taste cannot shed the soy sauce aroma that I got in the nose. Roast coffee and malt go well together with some light sweetness, with a mostly pine hop bill at the end. The salty soy sauce flavor just throws this off too much to give it a good score though. The booze is there the whole time, but it manifests itself in its purest form at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel: Moderately creamy and smooth, with a good amount of carbonation. Fuller than medium bodied, with an ABV that warms the throat and stomach. Not too sticky or resiny, although both sensations are there.

Overall: Not the best I have had. Where that soy sauce flavor came from, I don't know, but it really distracts from what would otherwise be a pretty good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from the standard pressure cap bottle into a nonic pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours pitch black with a 1-2 finger mocha colored head of decent retention. Nice lacing here.

S: Dark chocolate, caramel malts, fairly prominent bittering hops. Like a stout, this one definitely smells dark. I feel I may have waited too long to buy this one as the hops smell a bit less prevalent than expected for a black IPA.

T: Dark chocolate and a sweet caramel malt body up front with and bitterness throughout that really takes over on the finish. I'm sure the hop character would have been stronger and more pleasant if I bought this one a bit fresher.

M: Full-bodied and slick with a little bit of carbonation. I feel that this one could have done with some more carbonation.

D: From the taste, I never would have guessed this one is 10.8% ABV -- it conceals the alcohol content very well. The dark chocolate and sweet malt notes were a bit overpowering, but the balance may have been better if I had this fresh. While it was pretty good, I don't think I would buy it again.

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

I'm usually wacky about these anniversary brews from Stone but this one was a little bit of a downer for me... The beer looked great in the glass... It smelled big and mean and loaded with piney hops and dark chocolate malts...and then came the booze... Lots of it...

I know it was almost 11% but it tasted more like 17-18% to me... This thing was hot and boozy and drowned out what the beer was trying to be...the hops were juicy and delicious for sure and the big malt bill brought the bitter chocolate aspects to the beer but both got slammed by a strong fusel flavor that sort of turned me off to it...

I had trouble finishing this... I will probably pick a bottle up to age for a while and revisit this in 6 months or so but as for now, this wasn't my thing... Not horrible, but the ABV was very prevalent here...

3.46/5  rDev -18%

Bomber poured into a shaker pint glass. Reviewed from notes (9/15/11).

A - Poured a pitch black with a tan creamy head. Decent lacing.

S - Lots of in-your-face hoppiness dominate. Pine, resin and citrus are all present in the aroma. An underlying fruitiness.

T - Taste doesn’t stray too far from the aroma. I get a lot of piney hops up front with some chocolatey malts on the backside. A touch of citrus. The bitterness grabs a hold of your palate and doesn't let go. A rather large amount of alcohol creeps up.

M - Medium-thick bodied with moderate carbonation. Thicker and creamier than expected. The bitterness is a little harsh. I can definitely feel the alcohol’s presence in this beer.

O - Not one of my favorites. I'm usually torn on black IPAs. I probably won't seek this one out again. I like the hop profile but this beer borders on being too harsh. It's a little too unbalanced for my liking.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%

22 oz bottle

A: Dark black body under a good sized brown head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Mix of roasted and chocolate malt with a background of citrus hops. Nice balance in the aroma.

T: Very roasted taste, with some hints of chocolate. Unfortunately, there is a hint of "burnt" there also. Not getting a lot of hop taste, but certainly a big bitterness in the finish. Alcohol apparent in a decent warmth on the way down. Fairly unbalanced.

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation is not too high. Drinkability is fair. A big beer that is a bit out of balanced in the taste depart.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle shared by Jason - thanks man! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - A finger of tan foam settles to a partial cap, leaving behind spotty lace and a thick collar. A dark brown body reveals no transparency.

S - Pine, grapefruit, black malt, dark chocolate, and caramel. The hops give off a little bit of that cheesy stale hop aroma that I get from aged hoppy beers, but this was only bottled in August - weird.

T - Taste is unfortunately much less enjoyable. There's a blend of astringency, chalk, char, black malts, bitter grapefruit rinds, and pine. The bitterness is oppressive and fatiguing, and more sweetness is needed for balance. I'm alright with palate-bruising beers, but there needs to be a reward equal to the punishment, and this isn't the case here.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, extremely dry finish, and tons of resinous hop oils that linger well into the aftertaste. There's some light alcohol warmth, but nothing out-of-place for a 10.8% beer. The feel is by far my favorite element of this brew.

D - I'm starting to really dislike this style, particularly efforts like this one that mix my least favorite elements of IPAs and stouts yielding excessively bitter beers that evoke such delicious flavors as char, aspirin, and unripe grapefruits. While these types of flavors have their place, they just aren't very appealing on their own.

3.41/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours like a black beauty. Thick deep black, great two finger-width off -white/ light caramel-colored head.
Smells like a liquory funky type of beverage, with some light mocha notes, and with some hop aroma as well. Interesting but not powerful.
This is an interesting take, I normally wouldn't go for a black IPA and don't recall ever having done so. But i feel Stone balanced this brew quite well. It's like a DIPA and an RIS seamlessly combined. It works somehow. It has burnt lingering bitterness with a smooth, thick creamy mouthfeel. Still not a favorite style of mine, but this one is a good sipper. But then this just feels very dry at the finish.
Overall I thought this was easy to drink for such a big beer, but the abrupt drying finish held this back for me. A good combo of big ipa and darkness, but the impression left is strong, and then a chalky, metallic taste. Looks much better than everything else about it. Worth a try nonetheless.

3.41/5  rDev -19.2%

Stone Escondidian, bomber into tall cocktail glass.

Appearance: Classic Black IPA, super dark and thick, with a very solid cafe-con-leche head that lasts and lasts. Beautiful lacing, retention. Good carbonation.

Smell: Not too enticing here. Dry roastiness, some coffee, a tad of toasted hops. Bitter, acrid. Unexpected citrus, boiling orange juice. Weird!

Taste: Coffee, some chocolate powder. Bitter hops. Dry hay, barnyard and roughness. At the end, it is like getting hit by pine needles on the throat. Sublimely Redux, minus the passion and the balance.

Mouthfeel: Creamy enough, full body and flavor, good carbonation. Very, very dry finish. Boozy ma non troppo. Not too pleasant around the mouth.

Overall: I don't dig this. It is like an unimproved version of Sublimely. Why? Sure, it is better than any other Anniversary I have tried, but still... no need for this. I'll go for Sublimely. It eventually became a chore to drink, even though it is not terribly alcoholic.

EDIT: Much better on tap.

Reviewed from notes.

Poured from a 22 ounce bombed into my Great Divide tulip.

Pours a stout-like opaque dark black with two and half towering fingers of mocha colored head. Moderate head retention and a ridiculous draping of thick, clingy lacing.

Smell is underwhelming. I was expecting a real, quintessential Stone hop bomb. But, the preeminent aroma was more dark candied sugar and sweet malt. At the tale end of the nose, there's a whiff of dank, earthy hops. Wish there had been more.

Taste start off overly sweet and malty. Then, there's a huge wallop of biting hops bitterness in the middle of the sip which slips away to a slight touch of roastiness. The happiness mellowed as the beer warmed, but this one tasted more black ale and less IPA throughout.

Mouthfeel is mildly thick with a healthy dose of carbonation. High ABV but the booze is hidden quite well.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Stone is using spot on but this one misses the mark. The flavored are muddled and the beer suffers from an identity crisis.

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

650 ml bottle. Pours a dark brownish black with a one finger tan chocolate head that sticks around for a while and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass in a bunch of small spots. The aroma is roasted coffee, some tobacco, mango, oranges, and peaches. There is definitely some citra hops in there. The initial taste is a strong roastiness that goes into tobacco, coffee, and hints of orange peel. The fruit in not nearly as prominent in the taste as it was in the nose. Bitter coffee on the finish. Medium carbonation. Full bodied. This beer was much closer to a heavily hopped imperial stout than an IPA with a bit of roastiness, which is how I usually like my black IPAs. While it certainly was not a bad beer, I felt some of the flavors didn't work together all that well.

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

Being Stone's 15th, I had to try this one, even though I don't buy Stone's beers nearly as much as I use to a few years back. There WAS a TON of this at the local Total wines when it was first released, and now this was the only bottle I saw this past weekend, so it must be decent to be going so fast. Anyhow, on to the review.

Review from notes.

A: Poured from the 22oz bomber into a Bruery tulip glass. A solid half inch of medium tan brown colored head rose, and slowly settled, leaving a smooth coating film at first, and then some sticky spotty lace. Settled to just a ring of bubbles, and some film on top of this Black beer, that no light penetrates.

S: Scents of light espresso, light mint hops, light chocolate, medium roasted malt, more bitter hops, with notes of pine, hay, light smoke and that distinct stone yeast strain. A bit muddled actually.

T: Mirrors the nose, intense bitter hops aroma, medium roasted malt, light chocolate, and a touch of coffee. Some rye grain notes in there as well, and the ABV is well hidden. As it warmed, I started to get very subtle taste of burnt cinnamon, mixed with light pepper or even ginger? Might not be describing that just right, but it's there.

M: Medium carbonation, bitter bite.

O: Good, way better than 14. Glad I got to try it, but no plans to revisit. Still pretty intense, even though it was released nearly two months ago.

Black IPA's for me are either closer to porters, or DIPA's with some in between. It's a tricky balance to make a great one from the dozens+ I've tried. This definitely favored the hops, but it's an odd mix. While the hops may be what makes this beer great, some time might improve it even more for me, though not the brewers intention I imagine to age it,.

Not sure if it's the in house yeast strain, or the choice of hops, both, or something I can't put my finger on, but this beer is a bit TOO bitter for me, and not in a good way, and I love DIPA's, IIPA, IPA's etc, so I'm left that it may just not be a choice of hops that agrees with me.

Nevertheless, Congrats Stone on 15 years, Cheers!

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle to Deschutes tulip at about 50 degrees.

A: Moderate pour leads to about 1.5 finger of creamy pillowy head that recedes to a nice ring that stays forever. Nice lacing and legs...very black 4.0

S: A little bit of smoke and oniony hops, dark chocolate malts, but overall smell is very muted on this one. 3.0

T: Smoky, spicy beef jerky like almost. Again the onions come out from the hops. Completely different than anything I have ever tasted. 3.5

M: Good carbonation, nice and viscous, definitely leaving an oily residue on the teeth and gums. 4.0

O: Overall this beer is not that great. Pretty disappointing and tough to get through 3.0

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.