15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -32.5%

I was lucky to find this one…it was dumb of me to pass it up for so long! This will be my first time trying a Black IPA, and I’m glad that it’s Stone. Hit it:

Brewed about three months ago (“August 2011”).

A: Damn, this looks devilish. The body is a thick black, like a stout; what a full color. The head is awesome, a dense, foamy three fingers of excellence. It’s a light tan cream that sticks around for a hell of a long time, with a strong showing of web-like lacing when it finally comes down. It even darkens to an oily dark brown when I swirl the glass. Impressive.

S: Wow, that’s bold; and in a much different way, too. I don’t know how to explain it…it’s like a thick anise cream with coffee and a hint of garlic/onion. It gets worse the more whiffs I take, literally stomach-churning. I didn’t mind their Belgo-Anise IRS, but this is different; it’s a thicker, much more medicinal scent. There’s a little bit of booze, chocolate syrup, and caramel on the end, and only a hint of herbal hops. Weird.

T: Hmmm, that’s a yeastiness that I’ve had before; Great Divide’s Yeti comes to mind. I’m getting a chalky chocolate yeast taste that I really don’t like, which unfortunately lasts the entire palate. That distinct Stone hoppiness comes in piney and herbal, but it’s not enough to distract me. There’s a pepper, licorice, and herbal tea taste as well. The finish is vodka-like alcohol and light roasts. It’s better than the nose, but not by much.

M: The feel is just like the head looked: smoothly foamy. Pretty fiery, too, which is a welcome surprise.

O: There’s so much promise to this beer: the style, the brewery, the promised hoppiness. Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out well. Though this beer was my least favorite from this brewery, I’m certainly hoping for another 15 years of Stone beer. Cheers!

2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours thick and milky and black with a pellicle of a tan head. Lasts a really long time, with great lacing. Looks like Left Hand Milk Stout on nitrogen.

Very conflicting but alluring aroma. Bitter grapefruit and marmalade on a backdrop of cocoa and coffee.

This tastes like an over hopped imperial stout, nothing more. As in, something went wrong. Aggressive, medicinal, bitter. Roast + bitter hops = Meh. A little cloying too, but points for hiding the alcohol well.

Rich, full body; creamy.

Everything about this beer is good except the taste. This doesn't cross a line, push the envelope, break barriers, or redefine anything. It is just an unusual mix of ingredients that does not work very well.

2.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Served at Acre's stone tap takeover

Pours black with large tan head that laces up nicely and sticks around for a while.

Whew. I'm not sure what happened on the nose - smell is not to my liking. I get soy sauce and fermented broccoli. Blech. As I get used to it I can tell that it's a combination of piney hops mixed with roasty malts. The combo ends up pungent and not so tasty.

Tastes better than it smells. Very hoppy, with lots of roasty malts. Bitter and boozy with some of that unusual soy sauce flavor coming through.

Mouthfeel is quite nice - creamy and smooth. Medium bodied, and a bit sticky.

Overall, the nose just kills this one for me.

Pours near black, complety opaque. Thick and foamy mocha head. Boozy nose, vodka and coffee beans. Hops come through quite well.

Taste reminds me of an over hopped stout. Chocolatey flavors are surprisingly present. Juicy hops just plopped right down, offering some weird contrast. Sort of harsh all around. Fusel alcohol, roast, hoppy finish. Pretty much unpleasant.

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

Consumed at Lucky Baldwin's Trappist Pub and Cafe on Sunday, August 21st, 2011. Beer served in a small stemmed goblet.

Extremely dark brown (might as well just call it black) with a one finger cocoa-colored head composed of EXTREMELY fine and uniform bubbles.

Nose: hoppy as heck. Pine and grapefruit. Pleasing.

Up front, there is a nice malt chocolate flavor which is followed by resiny grapefruit. Not as bitter an affair as the hopping might have led one to believe, but the two flavors do not work well with each other. Noticeable alcohol as both flavor and heat.

Finish is unexpectedly clean; the palate is spared a stripping. Mouthfeel is creamy and a little thick.

This is like a black and tan made with a stout that gets overpowered by a double IPA. It just doesn't work for me. Chalk it up as an interesting failure; chocolate and grapefruit flavors do not complement each other here.

I'm going to age a couple of bottles of this to see what happens.

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

I purchased this beer only because the store limited its sale to one per customer ... I thought that meant it was something special.

While good, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Nothing special, really.

I taste coffee, chocolate, and a bitterness which ruins everything for me.

3.08/5  rDev -27%

Poured out of a fun bomber.

Into the glass, it looks like oil. Dark, viscous, with a big head that leaves tons of lacing. Smell brings pine hops at first, with an odd finish. Burnt? Earthy? There's a lot going on here, and I'm not sure I love it. Taste is almost like a stout at first, and then you taste the piney hops. Chocolatey, a little smoky, and it's really overwhelming. I can't totally sort it out. The alcohol is definitely present--it's a very warming beer. Carbonation is good.

I liked alright, but it never really came together for me. Maybe I'm not ready for something this complex. I like Yakima Glory a little better.

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From notes, 08/30/11

Pours jet black with a large, light brown head and moderate retention. Aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted nuts and earthy hops. Mouthfeel is thick like an imperial stout, not an easy drink. Taste is mostly charred, roasted notes followed by hint of chocolate and coffee. Earthy, resinous hops finish it off. Pretty boozy, and I don't consider myself too sensitive to that kind of quality. I really like Sublimely Self-Righteous but I was not a big fan of this one. I'm admittedly not a big Black IPA drinker but I have had ones that I thought balanced the flavors better (Deschutes' Hop in the Dark in particular). I thought there was too much stout and not enough hop presence. A good beer, but not one I'd be likely to buy again.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.