15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  10.80% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-16-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -4%

A- somewhat stout-like, but a thinner head and less lacing.

S- roastiness and slight bitterness. Slight pine hops. Slight caramel malt but mostly roasted malts.

T- reminds me a bit of sublimely but a but stronger. Slightly more depth. More like an ris than a black dipa. It's slighly lacking in character but maintains balance quite well.

M- medium full. Very dry. Sticky finish.

O- a good anniversary ale and very respectable, but it seemed a little lacking in character. All is good but it seems lacking in the ris sense but being beyond the black iipa.

BBP, Sep 05, 2011

Azrael, Feb 07, 2013
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a thick deep black with a two finger fluffy mocha head that took some time to settle down.

Smell: Earthy and floral hops with a subtle hint of chocolaty malt. Slight hints of booze come through as well.

Taste: Piney and floral hops mixed with some chocolate and roasted (burnt) malt.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, very smooth and creamy.

Overall: I enjoyed this one slight more than I did the 11th Anniversary (Sublimely Self-Righteous). Will get more while it's available and wouldn't mind if Stone makes this a seasonal offering.

Axic10, Sep 21, 2011

celticfutblclub, Nov 14, 2011

CanisMajor, Jan 14, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

A- pours completely black with a massive tan head that lasts forever. leaves a nice lace around the glass
S-tons of citrus and grapefruit, very subtle caramel and chocolate undertones
T-big smokey coffee flavor with the the citrus hop flavor afterwards. Very interesting flavor. It starts out pretty sweet but has alot of balance with the hops leaving the toasted flavor on the finish
M-full bodied.
O-Keeps you sipping just so you can continue to discover all the flavors in this beer. I wouldn't drink this all the time but definitely worth a try.

atr2605, Sep 04, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

A- A nice looking brew, pitch black with a nice two finger head at the top that was nice and frothy, the stickyness surrounded lacing around the glass.

S- A nice hop scent throughout, with hints of some dark fruits and bits of chocolate, a nice scent to this Stone brew.

T- A nice roasted coffee taste up front with hints of chocolates and hops. The boldness of the beer is nice, perfect balance in flavor throughout.Slight taste of whiskey and oak as well, tastes better as it warms.

M- Nice creamy and thick brew, not to much carbonation on this one.

O- This beer is perfect for the winter months, had this one by the fire at night. Great balance on this beer

thedoubler55, Nov 12, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A: Pitch black, stout-like color. Aggressive pour leads to a thick mocha colored 2-fingered head that takes a few minutes to disappear leaving a nice ring around the edge of the glass. Lacing is average and coats the glass nicely.

S: Hops and toasted chocolate malts are the first thing that hits followed by smoke and alcohol.

T: Taste follows the nose with piney and citrus hop presence hitting first followed closely by toasted chocolate malts. Solid bitter finish. One that I just can't quite understand coming from this color.

M: Creamy and bitter. Perfect carbonation, lingering bitter aftertaste leaves me constantly reaching for my glass to quench but I just can't get enough.

O: Really interesting and really good beer. It will be interesting to see how well this one ages. It's really good fresh but the abv leads me to believe it would settle and pull the malts out a bit more. Well done, Stone.

suspect, Sep 04, 2011

whallgren, Dec 04, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Glass - Tulip

A - Super pitch black brew with a sticky 2-finger tan head, retention seems to be decent. I'm not getting any light through this one. Surprisingly I only got a few spots left on my glass.

S - Right upfront I get an explosion of sticky, resinous hops! Tree sap, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, fruit rinds. Beneath the punch of hops I get deep dark chocolate characteristics, toffee, buttery notes, and a general sweet, cereal like malt character. Smells pretty sweet.

T - Wow! Upfront is such an intense punch of hop resins, pine, tree sap, rind. In the middle the hop flavors are just about intense with added bitterness, woody smokey notes, molasses, and dark chocolate. The finish consists of more hop resins, dark chocolate, smoke and a cloying bitterness that just wont let go. The alcohol is definitely noticeable, I can feel it down my throat to my stomach.

M - One of the most oily brews Iv had! Thick, viscous, and full bodied with soft crispness.

O - Wow, I gotta say that I would only really want to drink about 6-12oz of this brew in one sitting, after that it would become sickening to me. Overall I really like this beer, from it's super resinous flavor profile, to it's velvety mouthfeel. I definitely recommend it, although it's more like a break the bottle open and share with friends brew. I think I'd probably just buy the Sublimely Self Riotous over this in the future.

PintOHops, Oct 08, 2011

Snellgg5, Apr 23, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Pours a very viscous, used motor oil black with mocha colored head.

S - Wow, not what I was expecting from the pour, lots of floral hops, mixed with roasted malt, a tinge of zest, some notes of dark fruits. Good--and interesting--smelling beer.

T - I'm working through this one. On first draw, you get some of those full stout properties, coffee bitterness, but a lot of floral hops as well. Not so much the taste, but the "feel" of them. It fades into some dark fruits like plum, and finishes with that baker's bitter chocolate taste. I wasn't aware a beer could taste like this.

M - Again, it's viscousy like an imperial stout, , but it has that dryingness of piney, floral hops. Mild burn from the alcohol as it warms

Overall - Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what to say. It has a lot of things working here, and I feel like in doing that, it got a little muddled. I can feel the properties of what's in the beer, but I can't necessarily taste them. I feel the coffee bitterness, but I don't really taste coffee. I can feel the bitterness from the hops, but I can't really taste them. But at the same time, I liked it?

BeerBuckeye, Sep 24, 2011

loupap, Nov 15, 2011

goalie33, Nov 17, 2011

brealbg, Dec 10, 2011

ALLISON01, Nov 18, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark black with caramal like foam. Smells like a citrus/fruity ipa, but the taste does not follow suit. Tastes quite rosty and full. Very stout like. This would not nornally be a probably, but the beer itself says its an IPA. Other then the smell, i'm picking up nothing that resembles an ipa. Its not a bad beer, just wrongfully named.

WeedKing4, Sep 30, 2011

cynical1027, Feb 21, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle poured into shaker pint

This beer pours a viscous looking, inky black. Excellent cappuccino brown head, about 2 fingers with great full lacing. Smell is lots of roast coffee and chocolate with a pine hop bite. Taste is quite heavy on the roast, char and ash. The piny, grassy hops provide a nice addition on the back palate. Mouthfeel was a touch heavy on the booze, sticky, medium-heavy and slightly drying. Overall a good beer, definitely lives up to its "Imperial" label.

OakedCanuck, Sep 03, 2011

jfstilling, Nov 29, 2011

Duvel, Mar 09, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Ok, I don't usually like this style but I'm gonna try. Basically the appearance of this beer is it's best part. Black, two finger mocha head, nice looking. It smells like someone accidentally dumped way to many hops into a porter. Piney, pithy and roasty a combo I don't think works well. Not to mention it just isn't a complex aroma. The taste is similar, roasty, nutty, piney and dark. Again I keep trying to see how these are suppose to go together, but they just don't. Its thick like a porter, is it supposed to be? I can't even begin to detect the alcohol, is that good, probably given it's strength? I'm confused, and tired of beers that are a bunch of different things they shouldn't be. Usually I'm cool with experimenting but I think this beer was the straw that broke the camel's back. Black IPA, Black Saison, what is next Black Black Ale?

pmlondrigan, Sep 16, 2011

hozersr, Jun 30, 2014

sjstraub, Nov 14, 2011

Greasy, Aug 20, 2013
15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing Co.