The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado - Stone Brewing Co.

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De CitracadoThe Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Brewed with Honey malt, Brown malt, and Rye malt, yams, pumpkin, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena, and birch bark. Warrior hops, and New Zealand Motueka hops. "Citrouille", French for pumpkin, intentionally misspelled in honor of Patrick Rue.

(Beer added by: BdubleEdubleRUN on 10-18-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado Alström Bros

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012

MrTopher, Dec 08, 2011

jhatweb, Nov 29, 2011

Nofear048, May 19, 2012

Gobstopper15, Nov 18, 2011

hpthebull, Nov 20, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

glass: Tulip

Upon poring, it's much darker than i expected. More of a mahogany color with a white, clean ring atop. This beer has a really unique aroma. At first i got the caramel, sort of buttery notes but once swirled, it opens up beautifully into an intense and peppery tree bark-like aroma with undertones of yams and pumpkin.

The taste brings back memories of when i first started my craft beer drinking, it's new, exciting and incredibly flavorful. The Birch bark and lemon verbena lends an odd yet intriguing contrast to the underlying pumpkin. It's chocolatey, not overly sweet, citric, peppery and bitter throughout.

The body is light-medium with medium carbonation. I think any thicker and it might grow tiring. It's quaff-able yet unique so i resist quaffing. Labeled a "pumpkin ale" but may stand taller in the "winter ale" category. What a refreshing and re-energizing change to the mundane winter seasonals.

JosiahS, Oct 21, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

captainbearcat, Mar 11, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

This beer is essence of autumn. It pours dark, head retention isn't outstanding, nose is a very full pumpkin spice, with a bit of citrus on top. The flavor is just absolutely outstanding. My description isn't going to sound positive, but think yams that have been bathed in pine sol, except delicious... You really get a spicy autumn flavor that is outstanding. A very well done fall brew. Full, malty, and spicy.

tpaz1913, Nov 29, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Alright I know I should have found this back in the Fall, but I didn't. This pours a deep mahogany chestnut ruby brown color with a thicket of tan head almost overflowing the rim of the pint glass. Aroma citric notes with some vegetable/earthiness layers going on, a hints of sweet brown roasted malt notes. The birch bark really comes out in the nose as it warms adding a velvet smooth incense like experience to the beer. What a beautiful well orchestrated beer with flavors coming in multiple levels, as it warms the nose keeps bringing out new ingredients. Flavors bring on complex spice additions, citrus notes with vegetal roasted yam sugars, dark roasted malts bring on another layer of complexity. Hops add enough bitterness to balance it all out, this is excellent stuff unlike any other beer I've ever tasted. The pumpkin never comes out as the pumpkin pie notes, but as the earthy gourd that we all love that fleshy flavor of the pumpkin is melded with herbal spice and other starchy vegetables. Some perfume like bitter notes in the finish that almost seem like cinnamon spices, but it's well blended and forms a nice flavorful new beer experience. Definitely not boring or too over the top. Mouthfeel is dry in the finish between hops, herbs, spice with nice dark roasted malts in the base beer. Carbonation is perfect mellow smooth brings all the flavor out. Keep making this beer it will find an audience.

WVbeergeek, Feb 26, 2012

yeti123, May 01, 2012

BarHop510, Jul 26, 2012

KidsDoc, Jun 05, 2012

Glass - Tulip

A - A surprisingly dark mohagany brew. It produced a 2-finger slightly off white head that held okay. I can see through the beer decently, it's not too hazy. A few spots where left on my glass.

S - Wow, the first thing I get is this deep woody aroma. Charcoal, brown sugar, lots of roasted coffee. There's a nice grassy/citrus hop characteristic that smells fresh and inviting. As it warmed I got toffee and mild pumpkin and yam.

T - The first thing I notice is is deep roasted coffee with brown sugar and woodiness. I also get this soft sweetness that reminds me of yams big time. It finishes with herbal qualities, brown sugar, toffee, woody flavors, citrus/pine like hop flavors and moderate bitterness that lingers just a bit. I gotta say this is balanced very very well.

M - Soft crispness, smooth and creamy with a medium body. The feel is great to me.

O - Wow, this brew makes for a great Winter Warmer I think. I love the freshness of the flavor profile, the balance, and the fact that it's not overly sweet, even with the yams and pumpkin. The aroma is just amazing to me as well. If you can get your hands on this one, do it! A great beer I'd love to buy again. Cheers!

PintOHops, Oct 21, 2011

mhaugo, Dec 22, 2011

AJ01923, Jul 04, 2013

Jamison85, Mar 23, 2013

Molson2000, Sep 13, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A recent score at Pinocchio's in Media that cries out to be opened and reviewed.

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with pumpkin, yams, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena & birch bark"; "I've made pumpkin ales called Kurbis this and Calabeza that, but never with the nominal French touch of this one, conceived and brewed with my musketeer brothers, Mitch and Patrick. One for all and all for one! Or are we revolutionaries, the Danton, Marat and Robespierre of the bloody pumpkin? Liberte? Are you kidding? There's birch bark in this brew, and yams, fenugreek, rye and lemon verbena. Egalite? Absolutely. This was a joint project, for sure. Fraternite? If brewing pumpkin ale were a cabal we probably wouldn't talk about it. You can, however, and we hope you enjoy it. [undersigned] Dick Cantwell, Head Brewer & founder, Elysian Brewing Co., Sept 2011.

My pour created a good two fingers of thick, light-tan head with great retention. Color was a deep-copper, closer to a brown than a previous brown ale this evening and with NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with lemon zest and spices, probably the rye and birch bark doing their thing(s). Mouthfeel was medium with an initial medicinal quality, undoubtedly the birch bark, followed by a pleasant lemon citrusiness, underlain with a rye bite. Hoo ha and Oh my! Wow, this was one spicy pumpkin, blood notwithstanding. Finish was very dry, giving the lie to those who say that pumpkin beers are too sweet for their liking. Bone dry, in fact, to the point of almost being gasping. Oh my.

woodychandler, Jun 05, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into perfect pint glass

A: One inch creamy light tan head. When held up to sunlight a deep amber color bordering on brown. Crisp and clear. Small bubbles slowly rise to the top. Head dissipated over 2 minutes and left a good amount of lacing behind. The depth of color and clearness is great.

S: A scent of caramelized something, pumpkin, resinous birch and hops, and an herb I’m not familiar with on a solid underlying malt scent. I’ve never smelled anything like this in a beer before. This was hard for me to describe. I had to get out a scent wheel, which I just got a few weeks ago. Yes, I’m a dork. A lemon herb scent comes out as the beer warms and I drink it down.

T: It reminds me of a mix of an amber and brown ale that went to awesomeness camp. A lot of the taste is the same as the scent, but I get more of a toasted malt base and a bit of lemon on the immediate aftertaste/exhale. That lemon verbena comes out in the taste as the beer warms.

M: Drinks lighter at first and then moves near a medium mouthfeel.

O: I’ve never had a beer like this before. That is awesome. It is awesome. I wish it was cheaper. I’m glad this will be available as a growler fill on Halloween day. I’m interested to see if I am as excited about it after I drink several (not necessarily at the same time). The only downside I can think of is the toasted malt character dominates in the aftertaste after the first half of the beer.

BJA, Oct 29, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, way better than I anticipated! I let it warm a bit out of the fridge. Poured with a nice sized, foamy, frothy, thick, tan head that soon settles to a thin cover and some lace. Color is a clear deep dark, brown red with lots of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is malt, roast, spice, toffee, caramel. Flavor is like nose but all those characteristics stand out more plus a perfect amount of carbonic tang. Don't pick up any pumpkin though. Body and carbonation are excellent. Finish is like flavor, of average duration, and leaving me with the desire for another sip. Very good drinking beer; maybe the best vegetable/spice beer I've ever had.

drpimento, Nov 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Okay, I get Elysian and their pumpkin fetish, and The Bruery with their yam contribution (ala Autumn Maple), but Stone? This should be interesting.

I poured this into a snifter.

A: Extremely dark.... like extremely burnt pumpkin, black moldy even. The head was spider webby and clingy, and tan.

S: I definitely got some gourd in there, along with tons of spices and very little sweetness. I sort of smelled like healthy breakfast cereal with squash infused milk.

T: This is NOT a pumpkin pie beer, and once you know that, and know that that wasn't the brewers' intention, you should enjoy it that way. I'll work backwards: The lemon hint on the end was friggin amazing, the fenugreek (which I've had a couple of times) was evident in terms of the fresh peculiar spiciness that it added. The yams... Great choice! The pumpkin was just a sidebar item and totally got buried under all the complexity from the whacky spice combos going on here!

M: The marketing speak is right: This is not a candy sugar (pumpkin pie) beer and I hope people do a bit of research before embarking on this journey. The lacing was used car wash stuff, and I had a good bit of divine root vegetable lingering left on my palate afterwards.

O: I'm sure I'll take a lot of heat for ranking this one so high after so many have not. However, I'm pretty sure I understand what the breweries were shooting for with this one, and on that note, I though this was highly creative and a totaly different breed of pumpkin brew than the usual trend. It ALMOST tasted healthy... lol.

Chaney, Dec 21, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

P: 12 fl oz bottle in to a 6 oz fluted taster.

A: SRM is dark brown with amber/copper tones. Clear and semi translucent. Head is off white, 1 in, dissipates to rim of glass. Medium carbonation. Medium lacing.

S: Many different flavors. Pumpkin and yam come through the least. Lemon verbena and birch bark are the prominent scents, with the toasted fenugreek lending their maple syrupesque scent. Sweet notes come off on the nose.

T: The flavors all blend harmoniously, with certain individual ingredients coming out at different times. The earthiness of the pumpkin and yam is noticable, but very restrained. Birch lends a bit of bite at times. Lemon verbena comes through gently. Toasted fenugreek adds a bit of the maple syrup flavor for which it is known. Aftertaste is light malts and light sweetness.

M: Medium body. Some viscosity coating the palate, carbonation lightens up the beer. All the different ingredients manifesting at different times really stimulate the nose and palate, the two senses being tied together.

O: Quite excellent. I would label this beer as a "Spiced Ale" rather than "Pumpkin Ale" as pumpkin is not the predominant flavor. Looking at this beer, it does not sound nearly as good as it was. Stone is known for doing some wild things that usually work out, but sometimes don't. This one hit the mark. I wish I bought more.

tsauce2, Dec 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

alecvdpoel, Sep 05, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

UncleBuccs, Jun 19, 2013
The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado from Stone Brewing Co.