1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado - Stone Brewing Co.

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De CitracadoThe Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Brewed with Honey malt, Brown malt, and Rye malt, yams, pumpkin, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena, and birch bark. Warrior hops, and New Zealand Motueka hops. "Citrouille", French for pumpkin, intentionally misspelled in honor of Patrick Rue.

(Beer added by: BdubleEdubleRUN on 10-18-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Interesting collaboration between Stone, Elysian and The Bruery. The ingredients list is unorthodox.

Pours a nice burgundy hue with a thin head into my glass. I'm not really sure if it's a pumpkin ale.

Pumpkin, yams, candi sugar and a bit of birch stand out immediately in the nose. I've never had fenugreek so can't comment.

Interesting flavors upfront. How to describe it? Bitter and "rooty" upfront with a good dose of burnt sugar, birch and maybe a touch of the lemon verbena. Unorthodox. Not a pumpkin ale. I like the addition of birch bark.

The birch bark is all that lingers at the back of my throat. Not much else is there.

I'm torn between disdain and praise for this ale. On one hand, it's an excellent attempt at using non-traditional ingredients. On the other hand, it's so "different" that I can see many pouring it down the drain. I love it enough that I'm going to finish it.

Brad007, Jan 11, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a nice creamy head. Notches at every sip down the side of the glass. It has a nice ruby red clear color to it. Really a beautiful beer. The taste is very well balanced. Dry with pumpkin spice notes and ending with more emphasis on clove. The flavor is also not very overpowering and I gotta say that its a great brew all together. Nice collaboration

Rhynes2, Nov 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Pours a clear deep amber-brown with a finger of foamy, off-white head

S- Pumpkin spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, come light citrus as well, very warm and inviting

T- Pumpkin pie spices at the start, some good balancing dry bitterness that lingers throughout, malt comes in after the middle with a buttery crustiness, reminds me almost of a pie crust, finish is lightly bitter and malty

M- Moderate carbonation and a light to moderate body, some dryness and warmth

O- The aromas I got were excellent and really started the beer off on a positive note, look and mouthfeel were good, taste was pretty good in my opinion, good balance between the sweetness and spice and some hop bitterness. My only complaint is that I was expecting more complexity given the list of odd ingredients on the bottle, still a good beer overall though

stampfler07, Jul 16, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

I've had a bottle of this sitting in my cellar for almost a year and a half now, and I know it says on the bottle to drink fresh and not to age, and since I never got around to drinking a bottle of this fresh (did have it on-tap fresh though) so I figured it was time to crack this sucker open. Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. This beer pours a clear, deep amber color with some dark ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has an off-white/tan head that is 1/2 inch thick when poured that eventually settles to a nice, very thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with swirls of foam resting on the beer's surface. Decent lacing. Aromas of pumpkin spice, rye, some toasted caramel malt, citrus, lemon grass, and honey are all present. Tastewise the pumpkin spice, rye, honey, and lemongrass flavors come right out. An interesting mix of flavors that I am not used to tasting in combination with each other, and it works pretty well! The yam flavor follows. Just enough to know the yams are there, and not overpowering. Rounded out with hints of the birch sweetness and a slight earthy hop bitterness. Very interesting and unique mix of flavors. Has a crisp, smooth, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy drinkin' here. Wish I had had this out of the bottle when it was fresh. This was quite tasty actually!

Eric

neenerzig, Mar 13, 2013

Bruery:stone /Elysian pumpin collab

A- pour produces a 1 finger light tan head that rests atop a copperush body. Decent lacing 4

S- light pumpkin spices, a woody scent from the birch I believe, a certain molassesy sweetness smells pretty good 3.5

T- forefront is some pumpkin spices mixed with caramel and chocoalte. There is a slight smoky flavor and there is also a woody flavor. There are some flavors that I can't put my finger on one of which is probably the yams.  This is a very complex and exciting beer for me. A definite winner  4

M- very nice and creamy. Good carbonation 4.5

O- I really have to applaud this effort. This beer is excellent and a treat to be able to have a few of. Good drinkability and it's very interesting so props for exploring 4.5

a-

t420o, May 18, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark mahogany red with a thick but short lived light tan head that faded into a thick and bubbly film. Great lace.
S: The yams and lemon come through in a very earthy and herbal way. I have no clue what the heck fenugreek is (despite Googling it), but I do get a bit of the birch.
T: I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin beers although they can be good every now and again (which is why I bought this one), but I must say the yams in this compliment the normally sweet pumpkin. The lemon verbena gives a fantastic herbal lemon flavor, and the birch and pumpkin add just a touch of sweetness to the finish. There is a great spice quality as well. Delicious and crisp all around.
M: Medium body with crisp carbonation and a dry mouthfeel. Very refreshing.
O: Thankfully not overly sweet. The yams and earthy lemon add much needed complexity to a normal pumpkin beer. Well done.

scottfrie, Dec 05, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

I had this thanks to tenderbranson69 enjoyed with him and carlos.

The color is deep golden brown with good clarity and thick cap of light beige cream the lace sticks well and bead is fine. the smell is lush with herbal and earthy aromas, some lemongrass and light pumpkin spice with a hint of toasted grain and slight floral note from the verbena. the feel is nice with a smooth almost lager like quality with mellow bitterness and carbonation level is right on the money with a very conservative amount of spicing and sweetness.

The flavor is very complex with a lot of fenugreek and yam action yet still has the nice mild maltiness of rye with the yams definitely giving a round effect and smoothing out some spice in the profile. The taste is less like a candle as the smell with the verbena giving a hint of citrus tanginess yet it doesn't go too far. The flavor of the caramel/honey malt is present too but in balance. The finish is smooth and relativly dry for the style. Overall I really dig this a quality pumpkin that is quaffable...I could probably drink this year round and the abv is low which adds to this quality.

Slatetank, Mar 05, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured out as a nice looking amber color with a tan colored head on top. The smell is super spicy with a really nice amount of autumn aromas coming off of this brew. The flavors are much different than a typical pumpkin ale, it was very impressive I thought. The mouthfeel was heavy, kind of on the thicker side with a decent carbonation. Overall this beer was really nice I thought. I would drink it again if I ever came across it.

Knapp85, Feb 07, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Mahogany color with a solid tan foamy head with excellent retention and lacing.

Pretty nice nose with notes of lemongrass, ginger, fenugreek (I'm a chef) and faint pumpkin.

Flavor a real nice as well. Very cool and different especially for the style. Fresh and earthy. Again notes of lemongrass which is from the combo of lemon verbena and fenugreek, light citrus with a little sweetness like a lemonhead. Just a touch yam and pumpkin.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, fresh with med-high carbonation.

Overall this is a differently cool and good beer. Well balanced with a range of nice flavors. I recommend a try. I'm surprised by the previous low reviews.

MrVonzipper, Nov 27, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into an Ommegang flute. Pours a deep red mahogany, half finger fine light brown head with moderate retention and lacing. Aroma of bready and toasted malt, light pumpkin and a hint of lemon. Flavor dominated by toasted malt, with a hint of lemon citrus that gets stronger until the finish with light malt, citrus, other herbal elements and light hops. Interesting and different. No strong pumpkin flavor, although the body is somewhat creamy like a good pumpkin beer. I like this, an interesting unusual flavorful ale.

LiquidAmber, Jan 28, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured amber into a tulip, finger of foam.

Very strong aroma, cooked pumpkin with spices. Smells like it will be sweet.

Surprised by how smooth the initial palate was compared to how it finished. The backbone is definitely Stone, powerful. Very pleasant. The flavor jumps around a lot, but nothing displeasing.

Very good. Nothing super amazing, but I enjoyed it.

Smurf2055, May 28, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

A: A bit dark for the style, not really sure what to think about it--the color looks somewhere between barleywine and porter.

S: Malty on the nose, joined by all the Thanksgiving spices, gingerbread, with some yams and pumpkin spice in the background. Definitely get some lemon which gives it a Christmasy, fruit cake aroma.

T: Wow, bigtime lemongrass throughout--maybe a bit pithy. Bitter on the end, but fades away to gingerbread spice and fruitcake. I'm getting very little, but still ever so slightly noticeable pumpkin and yam through the middle.

M: Pretty light mouthfeel with medium carbonation. No real warmth as the ABV is pretty low.

circus_cat, Oct 10, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a rather dark brown/red color. Nice, creamy off-white head has decent retention, and leaves nice lacing as it becomes a thick film.

Smell: Great toasted malt aroma; hints of yams and pumpkins are in there too. Not much spice-wise, but I suppose the fenugreek is contributing to those toasted smells.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma, with a bold (yet not overpowering) toasted/roasted malt flavor, with some underlying pumpkins and yams. I think I can catch a hint of the fenugreek and lemon towards the finish, and there's a bit of roasted bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Probably rather dense, but since it is so smooth is comes across almost airy. Just a bit of tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, with a moderate IPA.

Not your typical pumpkin ale, as it lacks the usual clove, nutmeg, and similar spices. I suppose if anything this is closer to a porter, especially with all the roasted flavors going on, but with the pumpkin and yam to make it something a bit different.

mithrascruor, Nov 24, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip glass.

Pours a brown color with a slight amber hue. Healthy finger and a half head or so. Seems to have moderate carbonation. Beautiful rings of lacing.

Aroma is primarily pumpkin and brown sugar, maybe some pumpkin spices (cinnamon, clove). There is some toasty malt too. There are a few other aromas in there that I just can't identify (looking at the bottle its possiby birch bark, lemon verbena, or fenugreek-not that I know what those are supposed to smell like).

Pretty different beer. As I said with the aroma. I can only detect a few of the tastes. I can taste the pumpkin, along with its spices. There is a toasty quality to it, with a little bit of a brown sugar taste. The other flavors I just can't pin down, but its different for sure. A little bit of bittering hops provides a quick bite. The only thing that comes to mind for the other tastes are a little bit of a citrusy floral quality, thats also a tad sweet. Not really sure how well all the flavors mix, but I sure can appreciate this for being different.

Mouthfeel is medium body with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable, and uniqueness keeps me sipping this beer at a quick rate.

Really appreciate a unique pumpkin beer. The different ingredients they use make it pretty different. Not sure if I'd buy this regularly, but I'm glad I tried it. The more I drink it, the more I like it.

ahq514, Nov 18, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a pretty dark brown color. When held up to the light it is slightly transparent and I can see the carbonation bubbles that lead to a very small, less than one finger head. The small head that appears is a very light brown to tan color and doesn't leave much lace.

Smell is....well...interesting. It kind of smells like my mother in laws glazed ham at Christmas time. There is a sweet syrupy smell, maybe brown sugar, and really... like the ham glaze. Honey, smoke.

Taste is really good. This is very unique but pulls together quite nicely. Sweet tastes of the yams and some maple syrup, there is also some honey tastes too. I think I should say that I am getting some cooked (or fried) pork fat. I really like this.

Mouth is thin and the carbonation is medium. Body is delicate and the finish is on the dry side.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I like how all of the other "pumpkin" beers try to taste like pumpkin pie, but never really do. This one tries to taste like the fall or the fall holidays and really does. The smell and taste really does nail the smells and tastes I get from the in-laws house this time of year. If you love the fall and the holidays this is a must get.

azdback, Dec 30, 2011

Parke, Nov 25, 2011

newk340, Feb 05, 2012

TimoP, Feb 07, 2012

rwilde, May 27, 2012

Jordanbryan10, Jan 10, 2012

This one pours a fairly clear brown color, with a tinge of buby. Almost non-existent off white head. Nose is lighter, but lots going on there. Some roasted coffee and chocolate are noticeable. Faint citrus and pine hops. Some spices which are faint but reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Faint caramel malts also. Interesting taste. There is an awful lot going on here. Somewhat of a citrus hop bit on top. Some malts, breadiness, spices, hints of the coffee and chocolate. Just a very nice brew.

WoodBrew, Nov 24, 2012

Atyoungberg, Feb 16, 2012

blknikon, Apr 30, 2013

beerman999999, Dec 17, 2011

KSimley, Dec 14, 2011
The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado from Stone Brewing Co.