The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado - Stone Brewing Co.

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De CitracadoThe Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Brewed with Honey malt, Brown malt, and Rye malt, yams, pumpkin, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena, and birch bark. Warrior hops, and New Zealand Motueka hops. "Citrouille", French for pumpkin, intentionally misspelled in honor of Patrick Rue.

(Beer added by: BdubleEdubleRUN on 10-18-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Clear brown colored ale with a small tan colored head.

Smell is a little sweet and is spicy with mostly vanilla and allspice. Good chocolate scent but I can't really smell any pumpkin.

Starts out semisweet with a stout bitter chocolate flavor. Mostly this is unsweetened chocolate with a little spice to it. Tastes a bit like Mexican Hot chocolate without sugar. Honestly can't taste the pumpkin here. Pretty much this is a Brown Ale with spice.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall an OK beer. I have had better so no real reason to try again.

Zorro, Oct 30, 2011

Gonzoillini, Dec 06, 2011

afsdan, May 22, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado
Stone Brewing Co.
Style: Pumpkin Ale
ABV: 5.00 %

LOOK: Deep copper color, with a near fine clarity. Soapy slight off white head forms and retains well. Leaves some soapy lace on the glass.

SMELL: Light aroma of caramel, herb and vegetable notes. Mild spice as well as minty notes.

TASTE: Herbal, minty, well made vegetable stew flavors with some malt backing. Hops are there with a citrusy, herbal, bitter touch, possibly with some help from the lemon verbena. Anise/fennel like flavor is big, along with some cocoa, roasted and nutty notes with the malt and roasted fenugreek. Birch notes are laying low in all of the earthiness. The pumpkin flavor is very mild and serves more as a vehicle for the rest of the flavors. The odd list of ingredients works pretty well and this mealy beer would compliment a bountiful fall feast.

FEEL: Light to medium bodied, delicate medium carbonation, with a cleaner finish. There is also a soulful, soothing element coming from within, like drinking a fresh herbal tea or healing elixir.

OVERALL: Truly a compliment to the talent of the three brewers. Unusual ingredients but it seems like this has been a time tested recipe. Who knows, this could be the secret to longevity or at least cleanse my insides. In any case, its a well made beverage, but one is enough.

Stinkypuss, May 31, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz bottle purchased as a single somewhere localish in MA.

Poured into a nonic, formed a 1/4" beige head over the clear orangey brown brew. Head lasts alright, with ample chunky lace. Aroma is rich grains, pungent citrus.

Taste is a mix of pumpkin, citrus, and a light hoppy bitterness at the close. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability is ok, but only because the lack of body lets it go down easier. I'd not have this one again.

ppoitras, Mar 05, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

rab53, Jan 09, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into my Terrapin glass. It poured a deep brown color with a frothy tan head filling the top inch of the glass. Nice retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a strong herbal, lemony thing going on that gives it sort of a medicinal quality. I get some toasted qualities to it as well as some sweet, almost candied flavors. It's tough for me to get past that herbal citrus though that I just don't care for at all.

The taste also has an underlying herbal citrus to it, but it's more reserved than the aroma thankfully. Some toasted, malty qualities come out towards the finish and mix with a little bit of a dry, burnt bitterness. A lot going on in it, too much in my opinion.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I didn't think it was that great of a beer. The herbal, citrus flavor was too dominant for me and tasted a little too much like a lime mixed with a pine tree. The rest of the flavors just either didn't come together or didn't stand out. There was just too much going on in it and things just didn't come together well for me. Glad I didn't buy a second bottle when I saw it today.

billab914, Dec 09, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

sendbeer, Feb 21, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

2x nice pours tonight at Bier Thirty... Pretty cool to get this one in Boise. Nice white head.... the brew was a little darker than I had expected... a fairly clear amber.

Nose shows a decent sweetness that seems to be magnified by some underlying sweet spices... some lemon too... hard to pick apart... Not my cup of tea.. too much spice.

Flavor pretty much mirrors the nose.. not as sweet as the nose would suggest, with an underlying toastiness that helps damper the spices.

Body is much bigger than I would have guessed for a 5% beer... carbonation is about right... I had my share, I don't need to try it again.

3.5/3/3/3.5/3

JohnGalt1, Sep 16, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Color of amber/copper, I don't know why, but I just assumed this was a stout, so I got a little surprise when I actually read the descriptors on the bottle. I was just like, Stone/Bruery, yeah I'll buy this. Anyways aroma was largely the smells we've all come to know and hopefully love come holiday time: pumpkin, nutmeg etc. . .

Taste, nice light body that delivers a good amount of thanksgiving flavor without getting all imperialed out. Mild notes of tree bark give it about the driest mouthfeel of any pumpkin ale I've ever had. Some mild dry cocao powder up in the mouthfeel as well, carbonated just right. Decent price. Nice beer. Check it out if its made again around the holidays.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 14, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from AJ's Fine Foods in on North Central in Phoenix. 12oz bottle into a chalice.

Poured mahogany with purple and violet shades, an almost opaque body. A finger of cream coloured head, with some light retention and lacing. Nose has some subtle candied pumpkin and yam notes, and interesting lemon/lime quality (from the lemon verbena?) and a somewhat pungent spice quality. A mint characteristic is there too, providing a refreshing and herbal quality. Certainly unique and intriguing. Taste has a toasty/roasty seed and herbal characteristic, less pumpkin and more subtle yam notes - but appear more raw in flavour. More lemon and herbal notes, with a substantial bitterness in the finish. Fairly light body that I think could've been bigger (considering some of the breweries involved in the collab.), with a medium light carbonation. Interesting beer, but the size of this beer could've improved the complexity of the body and overall desirability of this beer in my opinion.

liamt07, Jan 03, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Clear, deep amber/toffee colour with a reddish hue when held up to the light. It had a thin cap of fine, beige bubbles that left quite a bit of spotty, streaky lacing on the glass. Lemony and spicy aroma, floral and perfume character with a bit of dry malt and vanilla. Pretty much the same in the flavour, but with mild bitterness, bread and a hint of caramel sweetness -- thinner on the malt front than I expected. Medium/light bodied with creamy carbonation, slight slickness. An interesting experiment.

DrJay, Dec 10, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

This pumpkin ale pours a very dark chestnut color bordering on black. There is a beautiful and alluring opaqueness with a two-finger head sitting frothily on top. There is great head retention that leads to very intricate lacings on the glass.
The aroma was a balance between the bitterness from the hops with a malty sweetness. There were two companions that accompanied this balance: cinnamon and brown sugar.
Even after reading the description on the bottle, my pumpkin ale habituation needed to be suppressed because I was expected traditional pumpkin spices. After a couple of sips, I was able to pick up a nice hop bitterness from the Citra hops. To complement this light bitterness the brewmasters have infused the beer with a toasted-malt character balancing bitterness with sweetness. This sweetness could be due a brown sugar addition which was very present during the initial phase of the taste. As the beer warmed and opened up, the yams become more apparent, but the taste profile lacked a true pumpkin character.
The mouthfeel was much thinner than I anticipated after seeing a very dark beer enter my glass. There was very little in the way of carbonation, which, if present, may have lead to a more noticeable pumpkin flavor. My wife enjoys wine more than I, and we both noticed a wine-like dryness and finish to this ale.
I appreciate the attempt to produce a distinctive pumpkin ale, but the taste was lacking a true pumpkin flavor. At 5.0%ABV, La Citrueille Celeste de Citracado is very sessionable, however there are many other pumpkin ales/lagers that I would look for first, most notably, The Great Pumpkin Ale from Cambridge Brewing Company.

PEIhop, Dec 21, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

10/23/2011

On tap at Stone.

A: Dark reddish orange with a finger of tan foam.

S: Pronounced fenugreek with floral notes and baked bread. Pumpkin is light and I get a little yam.

T: Caramel and bread with a lower moderate bitterness and evident fenugreek. I get some biscuit and a little lemon with a whisper of pumpkin and yam.

M: Lower medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: An interesting beer. Decent but not something I would revisit.

HopHead84, Oct 24, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

rolltide8425, Jul 26, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle poured into bubble pint glass during a Stone event at a local pub. Poured a translucent dark reddish-brown with about 1/4 inch of light tan head that had moderate retention and good lacing.

The aroma was sweet, malty and a little earthy. There wasn't an overpowering hop presence and there wasn't a pumpkin aspect either. The taste also started out earthy, then added some spicy yeast flavors, a bit of underlying fruit and a tingle of hops.

The body was good, full and smooth without being heavy, but did have a slightly sticky finish. The beer was nicely drinkable, I could maybe have a couple. Overall, a pretty good beer and my favorite pumpkin beer, by far. I don't like pumpkin and generally don't expect to care for them. The fact that I liked this beer as much as I did says a lot for it. Worth your time if you see it.

beertunes, Feb 11, 2012
3.14/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottle from Spirited in Lenox MA Pours a solid dark brown with a smallish tan head that dissipates quickly. It smells like a Bruery pumpkin beer all right. Light pumpkin spice, brown sugar, a hint of caramel with a certain gourdiness to it. The flavor mimics the aroma fairly well and finishes a bit dry. Light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet almost bubbly mouthfeel. Ok beer, that I wished I’d noticed was 2 years old before I bought it.

johnnnniee, Aug 17, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Interesting collaboration between Stone, Elysian and The Bruery. The ingredients list is unorthodox.

Pours a nice burgundy hue with a thin head into my glass. I'm not really sure if it's a pumpkin ale.

Pumpkin, yams, candi sugar and a bit of birch stand out immediately in the nose. I've never had fenugreek so can't comment.

Interesting flavors upfront. How to describe it? Bitter and "rooty" upfront with a good dose of burnt sugar, birch and maybe a touch of the lemon verbena. Unorthodox. Not a pumpkin ale. I like the addition of birch bark.

The birch bark is all that lingers at the back of my throat. Not much else is there.

I'm torn between disdain and praise for this ale. On one hand, it's an excellent attempt at using non-traditional ingredients. On the other hand, it's so "different" that I can see many pouring it down the drain. I love it enough that I'm going to finish it.

Brad007, Jan 11, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into an Ommegang flute. Pours a deep red mahogany, half finger fine light brown head with moderate retention and lacing. Aroma of bready and toasted malt, light pumpkin and a hint of lemon. Flavor dominated by toasted malt, with a hint of lemon citrus that gets stronger until the finish with light malt, citrus, other herbal elements and light hops. Interesting and different. No strong pumpkin flavor, although the body is somewhat creamy like a good pumpkin beer. I like this, an interesting unusual flavorful ale.

LiquidAmber, Jan 28, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Cynic-ale, Aug 29, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. This beer looks like it should be interesting.

Appearance: rich amber-brown hue with a hazeless body. Head poured a solid finger of frothy tan foam, but it doesn't have great retention. Very autumnal-looking.

Smell: mild malty aroma with a hint of sweet spices and pumpkin. There's a touch of roast to the aroma that makes me think of a porter more than a pumpkin ale. Not bad, but a bit mild.

Taste: the fenugreek makes this tastes like it belongs in an Indian restaurant. The spices used in this beer are much more savory than I normally encounter in pumpkin beers; personally, I like squash better in a savory context than a sweet one. This is easily among my favorite-tasting pumpkin beers.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a decent level of carbonation. Not exactly creamy, but interesting.

Overall: this beer is a bit experimental but I think the experiment is a success. It has piqued my interest in trying other fenugreek beers -- I may even brew one myself.

flagmantho, Jan 01, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -15%

MIld brown and dark ruby color mix. One finger head, but good foam retention and stickage. Like the bubbling too.

I can smell the lemon verbena for sure. Its pretty dominant. Behind that are somewhat muted, heavily roasted malts, caramel, bread, and biscuit. Add in some earthy birch bark and a little sweet honey. Would not think this was a pumpkin beer from the smell. Not a bad aroma though. Herbal aroma overall.

Starts with a toasted biscuit and powdered barley flavor and texture with some more lemon verbena dominating. The middle to finish is more malty, caramel, honey sweet, and earthy. Still can't pick out any pumpkin in the flavor profile. The palate is dry, and a little grainy.

Cool tasting beer, glad I got to try this collaboration brew. Fell short of my expectations though.

scruffwhor, Nov 15, 2012

This one pours a fairly clear brown color, with a tinge of buby. Almost non-existent off white head. Nose is lighter, but lots going on there. Some roasted coffee and chocolate are noticeable. Faint citrus and pine hops. Some spices which are faint but reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Faint caramel malts also. Interesting taste. There is an awful lot going on here. Somewhat of a citrus hop bit on top. Some malts, breadiness, spices, hints of the coffee and chocolate. Just a very nice brew.

WoodBrew, Nov 24, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a somewhat hazy texture. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Smelled of pumpkin, spices, and some other vegetables.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, a little cinnamon, yams, and some malt. This flavor is much thinner and less dynamic than it sounds. Could have been more interesting.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This isn't a terrible beer - it has some good qualities - but it is wildly uneven.

avalon07, Nov 06, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10%

On draught at The Taphouse Grill, La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado is ruddy chestnut with a small off-white collar leaving very faint foam traces.

Smell is on the sweet side, molasses, sage, the birch bark makes it smell like birch beer (soda).

Taste is pretty interesting, there's a lot of depth, but subtle. I'm still getting that sage flavor, which apparently isn't in there...it must be the fenugreek and/or lemon verbena. Not much from the yams, but that's fine. Not too sweet either, nice balance over all.

Mouthfeel is a touch dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good. There's a lot going on, but it's very well balanced and doesn't fatigue the palate like I though it might reading the ingredients list. Well done.

ccrida, Feb 16, 2012
The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado from Stone Brewing Co.