Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 477 | Hads: 1,504
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Revisited for my birthday on 11/11/2013.

This pours a ruddy raisiny-amber color with a thin layer of tan foam.

The aroma is full of stone fruits, like dried raisins and dates. There’s a subdued holiday spice to it, like one would find in a Belgian dark ale.

I thought of this as a cinnamon bomb—but it’s more akin to a Mexican chocolate, with cinnamon, some dark, bitter chocolate, and an overall mild sweetness. There’s a spicy kick to this beer. It’s understated, and it doesn’t emerge through the aroma but after a few sips its definitely noticeable. After sitting on this for two years I can say I’m glad for the experience, and I think time has mellowed out some of the rough edges (from what I remember).

This was my birthday beer. Not the beer I had on my birthday, but the beer for my birthday. (11/11, in case anyone wants to plan a surprise party for me next year.) I had delusions about getting a case of this before I moved and dialed back my ambitions but now that I’ve tried it I’d gladly take a supply for the (hypothetical) cellar.

Dated 11.11.11, drunk with hardly any aging on it.
From the bottle it pours a dark, ruddy amber color, reminiscent of leather or dried tobacco, with a generous topping of foam. There’s a curious aroma to this. I pick up some chile spicing, some cherry? Perhaps it’s cherrywood, not oaky but there’s a whiff of something woodsy along with the stone fruits to contrast the chiles.

The beer itself is both sweet and spicy, alternating and contrasting. The spicing isn’t overpowering but nicely balanced with a good malt backbone to hold up to it. Cinnamon nuances complement the chile zestiness and a touch of burnt caramel sweetness.

At one point the bitterness became extremely pronounced, only to mellow out like a nice malty dessert beer would. As it warmed it opened further. Complex, layered, dynamic brew with a fully-rounded flavor. It’s dangerously good—I picked up no hint of alcohol, even as it warmed—and while I shared this bottle I could easily finish one by myself without complaint. I’m curious to see how some age would develop this beer further.

250th review! (2,168 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

I bought this brew today and it was the first beer I have ever had brewed with chilis. I was skeptical at first. On the nose its very wine like me and my buddy said it was almost like a Cabernet Sauvignon with some spice. The taste is caramel malts at first and it quickly fades to the chills. they are strong but well balanced. I'm so impressed with this brew and will be buying it again soon. Stone never lets me down (419 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, first review in quite a while. No better time to dip my reviewing toes back into the water.

A: Bit darker than I was expecting for a Belgian Strong Pale but it is beautiful nonetheless. A kind of mahogany/cherry brown topped with two-fingers worth of latte-foam head, that fades only slightly in density from the initial pour.

S: A bit boozy, very sweet and fruity, and very complex (maybe I'm saying that because I've been subsisting on Schlitz these past couple months) with notes of pineapple, mango, but also coupled with spicier notes of clove, ginger or nutmeg (you decide) which is all tied together in that traditional Belgian sugary yeastiness that is impossible for me to describe with any clarity. In short. Wonderful.

T/MF: Quite spicy and surprisingly bitter with a noticeable alcoholic heat, which is nice, but drowns out some of those fruit flavors in the aroma that I want to get at. Finish is quite bitter and creates quite an overall "picture" of the beer (ie. sweet upfront, developing boozines in the middle, long and lasting astringency in the finish).

D: I am impressed by this beer. You can tell that it truly was a labor of love getting this beer to where it is now. Certainly worth seeking out. (1,228 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a medium mahogany amber in a Vertical Epic glass. Little head retention. A ring of light tan bubbles around sides of glass.

Smell is very inviting. Lots of cinnamon. A bit of ripe fruit. Belgian yeast is present.

Taste follows the smell well for me. Lots of sweet malt, cinnamon and fruit. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. Medium bodied. Not too much carbonation.

Overall this is one of my favorites from Stone. Will definitely try to get more of this. (476 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Stone Brewing Company is truly an innovative brewery. Every year (and a month and a day) they decide to brew their 'Epic Vertical". This year Stone decided to brew this epic treat with cinnamon and Anaheim chilies from Hatch Valley in New Mexico. I could definitely taste something special with this beer.

Type: Strong Pale Ale
Color: Dark amber red, cloudy.
Body: Cloudy and slightly carbonated.
Head: Thick cream color. Lasts for some time.
Taste: Fruity taste with banana and critic notes. You can taste the subtle spiciness of the chilies in the alcohol.
Aroma: Lightly hoppy, fruity, and a bit spicy.

This is the penultimate edition of this masterpiece of brewing, so if you can find it in stores or pubs, try it.

Cheers! (729 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bring out your glass sleepers, so this ruby colored ale can take you to the ball! Great lace on the side of the glass from very light brown and tightly bubbled head. Great nose that's not overpowering--smells citrus, lemon, anise, light cherry and pepper, plus floral notes all floating on top of a caramel, bready malt and subtle yeast. Slight sour note underneath that doesn't assert itself against a moderate hotness from the 9.4% ABV. Hops listed online are Warrior, Target, Perle and Pacific Jade. Complex nose that drew in my love of spice accented beers. Hop punch is distinct but not biting. Hop blended with continued anise and fruit rise above the lighter mouthfeel. Alcohol is apparent and pleasant as well. Falls nicely off the back of the tongue with a slight sour bitterness.

The very small print on the side of the bottle says that the beer was brewed with cinnamon sticks, Anaheim chilies and Belgian Flanders Golden Ale yeast. Guessing the peppers are accounting for the full and complex spice notes along with the cinnamon. Yeast is said to throw off banana and clove, which I can smell now that I'm paying attention to it specifically.

Good beer and worth the effort to go find. Buy an extra bottle or two to save for next year's vertical tasting. (1,270 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

A nice dark amber colored beer with a frothy head. Nice head retention. Some lacing.

Nice aroma. Definately a Belgain. You get plenty of the Belgian "funk" from the yeast. Heavy on the malt side of the fence.

Wow. Lots of complexity in the flavor. Belgain yeast. Slight alcohol (but not much). An overall raisin-like tart fruitiness. Significant hop bitterness. There are a few background flavors going on that are hard for me to articulate.

A nice, thick, heavy mouthfeel with a bitter, dry finish. Nice.

A really nice full flavored beer with a lot to offer. I wish this was a year-round brew. It would be great to drink on special occasions. I'll end this review now and relax with the rest of this bottle before the 9.4% ABV gets the best of me. (752 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the 22 fl. oz. bottle "rescued" from an out of the way bottle store in Western, Massachusetts USA on July 28, 2013. Last leftover in stock.

The pour is a handsome mahogany brown, rich amber color with a tannish head and consistent "up the middle of the glass" carbonation.

The aroma has a quick malty and cinnamon sweetness that is fervently replaced by pepper and other spices in short order. Delightful.

The body is medium to bold with a creamy quality to it.

The taste is much like the aroma with an upfront sweetness that is superseded rather quickly by the pepper and spices that linger long to the end. Slight alcohol burn but quite tolerable. It aged quite well. (679 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a maple syrup color with a tight, off-white head that leaves a ring of lacing.

Smells of roasted chiles, banana, and yeast spice.

Tastes of Belgian fruit notes and spice with the chiles running throughout. Banana with some sweetness comes through first along with a bit of apple. Chiles come in next and add a bit of meatiness and nice roasted notes. Spice comes on the end with clove and cinnamon notes combining with a small amount of heat from the chiles. As it warms, a bit of a phenolic character comes through.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I really like this beer, and feel that the base beer would most likely be good on its own, but the chiles make it even better. However, I should qualify this with the fact that I like to add roasted green chiles to almost everything I cook, so it may only appeal to those like me. (878 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

On tap at Flying Saucer poured into goblet...

Appearance: Dark amber with 2 finger head. Decent lacing throughout.

Smell: Chiles and Cinnamon, dark malt and dark fruits.

Taste: Sweet malts with some spiciness from the chiles, cinnamon and dark fruits, some alcohol, belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium thickness, medium carbonation, nice alcohol burn.

Overall: A delicious beer. Will be interesting to see how this ages. (422 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation: Bomber bottle poured into my Allagash tulip. Chilled.

Appearance: Medium brown in color with a two finger beige head. A bit darker than the golden color mentioned on the label.

Aroma: The Anahesim chiles really stand out. It's a nice and mild heat. Hints of cinnamon and other spices. Bananna, clove and light citrus make for a nice base.

Taste: The chile notes are upfront here too. The mild nature of the peppers really allow there to be a strong pepper note without overwhelming heat. The cinnamon and other spices provide a nice backing. The base beer is also nice and balanced. The bananna and clove combine with the spices to compliment the chiles well. I also get a touch of hop bitterness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and nice carbonation.

Overall, a really nice belgian pale where the chile flavors work well in my opinion. The peppers provide good flavor and not too much heat. I really think this beer works. My favorite one off from Stone in a while. I'm glad I have one more to cellar. (1,026 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Read chilies on the label and knew i needed to try it.

Appearance:
Really vibrant red-orange with a thin beige head. It's crystal clear with no sediment. Very crisp and refreshing-looking beer.

Smell:
Holy amazing chilies. This is the most pungent chili beer I've ever smelled, and it re-inspires me that it's possible to make a beer that showcases the pepper instead of trying to mask it. Complementing the pungent peppers is a spicy Belgian yeast and biting alcohol. Absolutely amazing.

Taste:
This is an incredibly balanced beer. There are initial notes of chilies and sweetness followed by a slightly bitter aftertaste. I am assuming that part of the strong spice component to this beer is the cinnamon. It's like all the warmth of a mexican hot chocolate...without the chocolate.

Mouthfeel:
This isn't a spicy beer, but there is still a strong spice component. Maybe I'm just very tolerant to spice since others say that there is a slight burning in the back of the throat.
The beer is approximately medium-bodied and loaded with alcohol. Terrific to pair with a chocolate dessert!

Overall:
Well priced and widely available, what more could you ask for? I wasn't wowed by the 10.10.10, but this beer is phenomenal! I would love to try pairing this with some spicy mexican dishes and praise the muse that inspired Stone to produce this beer. (1,351 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

A: With about an inch and a half head above a thick, murky brown, this beer pours nicely in my tulip. The head is fairly creamy in texture, and in the right light, the color almost becomes a bit red in hue. Thick lacing in the glass creates a webwork of resilient bubbles.

S: The Anaheim chiles are subtle yet distinct in the nose up front; bready malt, biscuit, and a slight tincture come next. It's a nice, warming, inviting smell, distinct in character yet not showy. I like it.

T: Very, very interesting. Just like in the nose, the chiles make their presence known immediately: it kicks with the carbonation before smoothly transitioning into a nice malt and yeast profile. It does have just the slightest sweetness to it, which is only discernible in the finish marked by an alcoholic medicinal quality. What a unique surprise.

M: For something with such a pronounced spice profile, it's a smooth experience with some nice acidity at the front with a fairly long, boozy finish.

O: Stone never disappoints, and this beer continues that tradition. I only wish that I had bought another and that I had known about this years earlier when the Vertical tradition began. Alas, good beer was not on my radar at that point. (1,225 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours brown-amber in color and does have a slight unfiltered look to it. Good head at pour but savored in a small glass. Good vertical lacing on the glass. I expected more from the nose of this beer given the flavor - still smells good but doesn't reveal much more than a string Belgian style ale with maybe some clove coming through. Taste is complex and wonderful - subtle chilies that builds over time. Other pleasant spices with a nice malt balance. (453 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a chalice. I guess "pale ale" is a relative term in this case; but I'd be disappointed if beers in this series stayed within style lines. It's a dark cloudy orange with a lively white head that dissipates leaving some lacing on the glass. Smell is quite perplexing; warm and spicy, presumably the intermingling of the chilies and the belgian yeast. Taste follows; no actual spice from the chilies, but a delicious warm flavor. The "belgian" character is very diminished in this beer (which is good for me, I don't like belgians). Alcohol isn't noticeable at all, surprising for 9andsomething%. Mouthfeel is rather full. Even though it's more of an experimental beer, it's the best belgian-style beer I've had so far. (728 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first foray into the Vertical Epic realm. Pours a dark brown color, very little head or carbonation to it. Aroma is of sweet chili peppers, quite pleasant actually. Taste is medium to heavy bodied, a ton of flavors hit the palette. Definite peppers come through, a tad bit of cinnamon, and a whole lotta hops. Stays well balanced and has a great mouthfeel with a clean finish. Surprisingly drinkable for the high ABV and the odd ingredients used. I'm a big fan of this beer and love the uniqueness of it.. highly recommended. (528 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Looks epic. Pours a mahogany brown. Very rich looking, an almost thick pour. The head is the opposite, a bright white. Little retention, but leaves a nice ring of white around the glass.

It smells amazing. Just the right amount of cinnamon...just the right amount of Belgian yeast...just the right amount of malt to tie everything together. Oh yeah, and just a hint of chili.

The cinnamon spice and candied sugar work well together. There's the slightest bit of yeast that shines. However, I could do without the chilis. They don't provide much to the beer, other than a small distraction in the finish.

There's some complexity to keep your taste buds hopping. Malt and yeast give some sweetness, cinnamon and chili give some spiciness. The yeast also provides some tart. But the hops and chili give a strange bitterness that doesn't work for me. Almost creamy.

Despite the chili, this is an amazing, dare I say epic, beer. My first vertical I'm sad to say, but won't be my last. Looking forward to another bottle that I hope I can save til 12.12.12. (1,054 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%

Looks great. Has a towering light tan head, and a crystal clear dark ruby colored body.

The aroma is of cola, vanilla, metallic traits, cinnamon and maybe some cocoa.

In the taste and mouth feel, I'm getting more of a cocoa flavor here. It took a few sips before I got the burn from the chilies and alcohol. That actually paired well together. The cola flavor is detectable too, aling with some prune. There's a good amount of CO2 in here, which gives the beginning to middle a chewy texture.

Overall a very innovative ans solid offering. (544 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness Chalice. Consumed after aging past the recommended date of 12/12/12.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy brownish copper orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid three fingers of light tan head which slowly fade into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A bready and fruity aroma with a sharp mix of spices. Toasted malts with good hints of biscuit, yeast, toffee, and a little caramel. Big hint of bananas with some apple and dark prune. Sharp hints of chili peppers along with some clove and cinnamon spices. Also a slight hint of citrus fruit and brown sugar. A little scent of alcohol comes through. A nicely complex and interesting aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints, a complex mix of bready malts, spices, and fruit esters. Sweet bready malts with a taste of biscuit, yeast, toast, toffee, and caramel. A little brown sugar sweetness. Good taste of bananas and apples. Also some dark prunes and dates along with a little citrus. Notes of spices including chili peppers, cinnamon, and cloves. The spicing is quite noticeable but doesn't overwhelm the other flavors, they blend in nicely. Tastes similar to a dark Belgian ale with a good dose of added pepper and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, spicy, and fairly smooth. Alcohol heat is felt a little.

Overall: A really good take on a Belgian style ale. The spices added are just enough to add a interesting profile without making it too hot. (1,547 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I love chilis. I love cinnamon. This beer is right up my alley. Nice thick dense head atop a dark for a BSPA fluid. Chestnut colored really. A bit of haze and bits if stuff in suspension. Smell has some lighter malt aromas mixed with some roastier notes and a hint of the chili pepper. A cinnamon undercurrent. Light yeast funk and and dark fruits along with mild toffee notes. Taste follows the nose with layers of sophisticated brewing flavors. Toffee malt front with light pearle malt and sweetness. Mild dark fruitiness. Cinnamon is well folded into the overall construct, acting like a flavor enhancer to both the malt and hops. Chilis also flow throughout and bring out lovely nuances. Finish is clean and dry with faint alcohol and a chili flourish in the back of the mouth. Chilis bring out an astringent hop bitterness that gives good pucker. Light bready malt lingering with dry hops and grainy notes. Feel is creamy and supple with a lovely medium weight that is so close to the next level up. This is just a great beer, super drinkable and delicious with a unique character that makes me want to stock up mass quantities. It has replaced the 090909 as my favorite VE. Great job Stone! (1,196 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I have now had this on tap an in the bottle and regardless of how it is served I think it is a great beer

I love anything spicy the hotter the better so it only seemed natural to combine my love for spicy with my love for beer

This is certainly not a beer for the mainstream, but for those out there who like to try new things you certainly need to try this

Obviuosly not your standard Belgian Pale Ale so if that is what you crave have a Blue Moon otherwise sit back pop the top off a 22 oz. bomber of this and enjoy (520 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 16 oz. Pensacola Bay Brewery branded Tumbler pint glass (unfortunately, the only piece of glassware currently available to me.

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber color with a medium, quickly dissipating orangish head that yields thick lace and lots of floating foam.

Smell: Lots of fruitiness- peach, plum, and clove. Also has more citric notes backed up by cinnamon and a sweetish pepper aroma.

Taste: begins with sweet chile that gradually gains more of a chipotle flavor toward the finish. Notes of clove and banana with some medium bitterness and citrus toward the end. The cinnamon in this beer is surprisingly subdued, but adds a good character.

Mouthfeel: medium, almost chewy body with mild carbonation and a sticky finish.

Overall: A good beer and quite drinkable for its ABV. Not necessarily great, but this is a truly unique drinking experience that's well worth it. (912 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Had only one bottle left on the shelf is it was a must buy.

A- Pours out a nice light amber orange like color. Has a light or soft amount of carbonation that quickly fades. Almost caramel like color.

S- Sad to say I had a stuffy nose when I smelled it so didn't get its full potential. I got a mild hint of cinnamon and a good hint of the chilies.

T- It has a fantastic well balanced flavor between the chilies and the cinnamon. Each mouthful I got a different amount of each, once my tastebuds started to work. Had a nice sweet start that finished with a malty chili taste. Left your mouth a mystery cause there was a note of something that I couldn't really pick up on what it really was.

M- Had great drinkability, even though it was a higher alcohol content it was nice a smooth. Great balance, nothing was overwelming. Nice sweet finish.

Overall- I really really enjoyed it alot. I would of liked to have just a tad bit more chilies but other than that, it was a fantastic brew. Cheers! (997 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

A: Pours a fairly clean dark amber, slightly cherry hue with a good fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly leaving good amounts of lacing.

S: Sweet bready yeast, banana esters and grainy malt - very Belgian smelling, cinnamon sticks, light hop and just a hint of chile and booze.

T: Ah there's the chile - though detectable in the nose, I was hoping for more of a showcase in the flavor and I was not let down. Sweet toasted malt, the banana is there too, midway the booze is detectable but not at all offensive, then the chile lays on thick, balanced perfectly with a more earthy than spicy cinnamon (not at all what I expected when I read this one had cinnamon added) - very subtle and earthy and really compliments the chile well. These guys know what they're doing!

M: On the bigger side of medium-bodied, the carbonation is light and lends perfectly to the style and creaminess of this brew. Someone complained about an oily quality in the mouthfeel, and I agree on the lingering oiliness - which is from the chile, but I really like this aspect. Stone often accomplishes this with oiliness from the hop, but here they've achieved this quality with oil from the chiles added - super bomb!

Overall far from a session beer, but I don't think that was Stone's intention by any means, but as a quality sipper to enjoy from time to time, this one is up there with some of the best. (1,387 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks Rob for saving me two bottles.

Pours dark crimson with a finger of khaki foam that recedes slowly coating the sides of the glass with copious lace. Smell is cinnamon, cloves, candied pears, and faint chilies. Taste has cloves and bananas mated perfectly to cinnamon and a hint of chili spice that's melded with the mild bite of Stone's hops. Excellent. Mouthfeel is creamy and medium-full. Finish is delicious. Thankfully I have another bottle, the 11.11.11 disappeared off the shelves quickly here in Minneapolis. (523 characters)

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.