Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 477 | Hads: 1,504
3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

From bottle to Delirium tulip glass

A: Dark amber, clear, fluffy, foamy 2-inch head. Small but thick patches of lacing.

S: Nice holiday bouquet as the festive spices accent the aromas. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove smell lovely up against the sweet malts. The chiles are there but faint. Alcohol volatiles dance.

T: The layers of flavors are quite different from the nose. The chiles are much more prominent. Sludgy malt-sweetness seems to bury the spices, the cinnamon is barely detectable. Chili heat maintains throughout and the segue to the finish is far from seamless. Flavors contrast and repel each other. Finishes hot and sticky sweet.

M: Syrupy, sticky. Full bodied and your palate is laced with residue after each sip

Interesting attempt, but this is the worst of the Epic series by quite a margin. The flavors are completely disjointed and seemingly random. And the chili was just unnecessary - I'm a huge pepper geek, but I don't put cayenne in my pancakes or Chai latte. Hopefully the contrasting flavors will blend after a year of aging.

3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

Served on tap at Fish Bar in a mason jar.

Appearance: The beer has a medium brown color with amber and ruby edges. Quite a large eggshell head sits on top when the beer comes out. I suspect this may have been an overly aggressive pour. The head retains fairly well and leaves a bit of lace down the glass.

Smell: The aroma is kind of strange. I notice cinnamon first, with toasted bread, banana esters, and a fair amount of booze. From the aroma I don't even get a hint of chiles.

Taste: The flavor starts with slightly sweet toasted grains tinged with a bit of caramel. Then it starts to go a bit crazy. Cinnamon is really the dominating flavor here, but it somehow does not mix with the other spices. Cloves and banana notes clash with the malt and cinnamon flavors, and I only get a light sense of the chiles at the end, after the beer has turned into a medicinal ethyl alcohol bomb. I wonder if some time (like a year, a month, and a day?) would heal the distracted flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is the real victim of the brewing process. After seemingly half a sip, my tongue feels covered in some immutable oily coating that is fairly unpleasant. Like most other Stone beers, it is properly carbonated and has a heftiness to the body, which I appreciate. Just a very soft burn in the back of my throat from the chile.

Overall: This is the second beer from Stone I have had recently that has stunned me with how bad it is. I will continue to try everything they make, but I won't be coming back to this beer anytime soon. Overall this is just too much of a disjointed mess.

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

22 oz bottle finally made its way to my area. Grabbed one to review fresh and one for the cellar. Poured into multiple tulip glasses.

A: Brownish-red colored body with an initially nice off-white head, but it dissipated rapidly. A thin retention ring and barely any lace on the glass. The bubbles are tiny and tight, not thick or creamy.

S: Lots of banana and yeast notes up front. The cinnamon definitely comes in with subsequent sniffs, as well as some actual pepper flesh nothing spicy or stinging. Clove, pale and caramel malts with a small dash of bitter hops towards the end. Not overly aromatic to say the least, sort of boring. You definitely get a Belgian spin.

T: First sip brings the Belgian-centric nature of this beer, lots of clove, banana and spicy yeast notes. The cinnamon barely shows up in the taste save for a certain dry grittiness I'm trying to attribute to it. Chiles/peppers? Maybe, but it's that raw, sliced flesh. There's no heat or spiciness from them. Malty in the backbone and into the finish. I don't know, this isn't terrible but it's not delicious.

M: Highly active carbonation, very bubbly and fizzy on the palate. It's cleansing but doesn't help give this beer any body. I'm pretty indifferent here.

Well, this isn't mind-blowing nor anything I'd consider a great beer. It has a lot of interesting elements to it, but I feel the flavors labeled that I would think would give it a different flavor profile failed to show up in the taste. OK, but I don't need this one again.

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

22oz bottle poured into tulip

Pours a fairly clear amber color with some reddish hues. Thinner beige head fades out leaving a few spots of lacing on the glass.

Some spicy notes in the nose with a light caramel sweetness. The chilies and cinnamon pretty much dominate here.

Somewhat sweet and spicy up front with a kick from the cinnamon. Light caramel and bready notes towards the middle with some yeasty funk. Finishes with some residual heat from the chilies.

Medium body, decent carbonation, warm on the tongue and throat from the chilies. This felt pretty one note to me. Yeah, I got the cinnamon and chilies, which was kind of cool, but not a whole lot else.

3.07/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured out a color that I usually don't associate with a pale ale of any nationality: auburn and brown? A little cloudy looking for a pale ale too. Nice offwhite head on the top, about 3/4" deep. Aroma had me going into the belgian wit place. We're already two qualities in, and neither one makes me think belgian pale ale. Coriander and cardamom have no place in any pale ale.

Taste has some spice flavors, toffee, caramel, cinnamon and a little booze with a hint of citrus throughout. I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but it was seemingly a tad complex. And I've had worse vertical epics to be sure. Couldn't really pick up any chile pepper addition.
Clove keeps coming out more and more as it warmed. Complex stuff, but not really up my alley.

Thanks to Sebastian for bringing this one to the March Madness bottle share. Unfortunately David Hurley, beverage peon at the El Dorado Casino decided to renege on the word of the El Dorado and shut down our bottle share a day early, because it offended his BMC reps that we were having a good time not drinking the $40 to drink all day Bud Light deal. Screw that guy and establishment that supposedly supports craft beer. But thanks to Sebastian for bringing this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber that has an intense red hue. There is a half finger of creamy off white head that fades quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt smacks you in the face. There are some fruity grape and cherry notes along with mild Belgian spice. I think I'm also getting some caramel.

Taste: Initially this tastes like it is going to be a total malt bomb, full of cherry, grape, and Belgian spice. There is a bitterness that shows up and cuts the sweetness a bit. The finish is slightly bitter with some Belgian yeast spice and then the chili peppers show up.

Mouthfeel: The body is syrupy with lots of foamy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer just didn't come together for me. Many of the flavors seem to distract from each other. I'm not sure that I would want another, but we'll see what age does when I open up all the VE's I have at the end of the year.

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

The 2011 Vertical doesn't stand up to offerings such as the 2009. Fiery amber color with a slight yellow tint. Great lacing and perfect foamy head. But, the nose is very banana-ish with an almost floral bite. I admit, I'm not a huge Belgian fan. This beer really reminds me of a lot of the attributes I don't like in Belgian beers. The banana notes give way to a strong chili taste with slight hints of cinnamon. One would think that so many different ingredients would provide a complex, interesting taste. Yet, the beer comes up short and unimpressive. Even the banana quickly fades to a thin, dull, starchy mouthfeel. The carbonation is also a bit much for this beer. I expected a lot after the previous offerings, but this one came up short.

3.02/5  rDev -19.3%

Had this fresh...let's see what a year has done.

Pours out a pretty deep amber with ruby hints and 2 fingers of khaki head.

The aroma has some cinnamon in it and roasted chile pepper skin, along with some Belgian yeast characteristics and some toffee/caramel malt notes. A little bit of coriander and orange peel, but it's pretty subtle.

The taste is also more subdued than when it was fresh. The cinnamon is subdued, but more up front than the more mellowed out chile notes. There are toffee and caramel malt notes along with some bready notes. Much sweeter than this initially was because of how the chile notes mellowed out. Fresh, this was much more balanced.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is rich and smooth. No taste or smell of alcohol, but there is a slight warming as it goes down.

This was a pretty decent beer fresh, but this has not aged all that well. Not a bad beer, but nothing great either and probably not easy to come by at this point.

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/4/12
*From notes

A: Clean ruby in hue. A good, firm pour yields a one finger head. Decent lacing and collar follow.

S: Medicinal and off-putting. There's some ground clove and certainly a bit of cinnamon here, but it's just not really coming together to form a cohesive bouquet.

T: The heat's there, alright. It's not overdone, but there's a definite tingle in the back of my throat. Herbal - like I'm drinking a bottle of Thai food. And then the cinnamon comes on and it gets me thinking...what the hell? What's the point of all this? Just an odd beer.

M: Pretty thick and dense. Well done - easily the highlight of the beer.

O: An off-the-wall entry into the VE series. I get the feeling that Greg and Co. just decided to dump some random shit into the boil, and look!! - We got our next VE!

Not a terrible beer, just not something I'd want more then 4oz of at a time.

3.01/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown color. A two finger beige head forms with very good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: At first, kind of a slick and soapy hops aroma. That quickly fades to caramel, raisins, and peppery heat. Not bad, it just does not mesh well with me.
T: A large sweetness. Burnt caramel, plenty of raisins, and heat. Both from the peppers and alcohol. Hum...interesting to say the least. Just off and odd.
M/D: A medium to full body. Slick and oily. Fairly smooth as well. The heat and odd mesh of flavors makes this a little harder to drink than I would like. I probably will not finish the bottle.

Interesting, but I really don't care to drink very much of this. I would of much rather had about a 4-5 oz taste. A full bomber is just to much to enjoy.

3.01/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A Pours a clear dark amber color topped with a white head that dissipates quickly.

S The Belgian character of the beer comes through very strongly with a strong banana bubblegum with a hint of clove aroma. Can't really tell if there are chillies and cinnamon though.

T Pretty similar to the nose with lots of banana, bubblegum and clove with a hint of chillies coming through on the finish with some heat. Pretty sure the cinnamon is a lie though as I can't taste it anywhere which is disappointing because I love cinnamon and put it in most things.

M Medium bodied with pretty nice carbonation.

Overall a very disappointing beer as the all I taste is the mediocre base beer and not the chillies or the cinnamon. Not bad just very mediocre.

Golden brown color. Bubbly collar with a few wisps drifting in the middle of my glass. Smells like lemon Ricola. Caramel, citrus hard candy with an odd spice that seems familiar but can't place. Barleywine-esque but thinner.

This was one of my least favorites of the vertical. I didn't know it was a chili cinnamon beer - I guess that explains the odd spice character.

I had this beer a few times when it was very fresh. I rated it as one of my top beers on BA because it was absolutely delicious. I saved a couple bottles and opened them just recently (2014) and it was not good at all. This beer dropped off quite a bit, I would encourage BAs to steer away from this one if you see it again in the stores. Not a good one once it has some age on it. Too bad.

2.99/5  rDev -20.1%

Draft serving into a chalice for $3 during happy hour. Sampled 12/1/11.

A: Slow rising 1 finger head, light brown in color, foamy, very loosely compacted and quick to disappear. The body has a very attractive garnetty plum color. Very still looking with 85% opacity. Despite the beautiful hue, the appearance isn't that great overall. No lacing.

S: Up front, the nose brings in some smokiness and perceived heat from charred peppers and alcohol. Light fragrance of cinnamon. The background aroma is classic BSDA, albeit very much underlying.

T: The flavor echoes the nose. Ancho chile or chipotle-like heat and flavor mixes with the savoriness of cinnamon. Sweetness from the typical dark fruits usually associated with BSDAs. Raisins, sweet plum, dates and perhaps even a little cherry and strawberry provide the backdrop. Perhaps a dusting of cocoa powder as well.

M: Tight, crispy carbonation with the bubbles carrying through until the finish, keeping it relatively clean. Medium-light on the tongue. Sweet, yet the dryness increases throughout each individual sip.

O: Worth trying even though I didn't particularly like it.

2.99/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured a brownish Belgian cooler.

The smell was the worst part of the beer. ALL I could pick up was a kind of green bell pepper smell which was a little off putting.

The taste was a little better. I didn't pick up any cinnamon but a good amount of pepper (no heat just flavor), slight spice, and some banana from the yeast.

This beer paired pretty damn well with the eggplant and potato pizzas I had with it so I will give it credit for having amazing pairing potential. But on it's own it didn't hit the spot for me. Maybe a year or two on it so the flavors can blend but I'm not sure I'll give it a second chance.

2.99/5  rDev -20.1%

A - Orangish Brown color with a thin ring of slightly off-white head and a little lacing. A little thin looking.

S - Chiles, Cinnamon, Dark fruits, Raisins, and a little bit of booziness.

T - A lot like the nose: Chiles, Cinnamon, and a large bit of raisiny flavor. A bit of a caramel taste to it. Sort of a traditional, unexciting and rather average darker belgian ale after you get past the unique chile/cinnamon flavors.

M - A little on the thinnish side, ok carbonation. A little bit on the spicy side in the finish.

O - Maybe I should have waited to 12/12/12, I was rather unimpressed by this offering and thought it was rather bland. The chiles were an interesting idea, but the execution was rather eh. Not a bad beer, but I definitely struggled to finish the bomber.

Poured from a bottle into a glass on 1/7/13

First let me say i feel a bit slighted that there were aged versions of this beer. I bet those where tasty.

Appearance- It pours a ruddy reddish orange with a light orange head. It dissipates eventually. Hardly any lacing

Aroma- Yeast, Banana, butter, cinnamon some vanilla and carmel on the back end.

Taste- Buttery, chili. reminiscent of a holiday tamale. A little corny, husky at the front, a big roasted chili flavor in the middle, and light cinnamon and piney hops round out the end. I am reminded of the few times I had Nopales, the mexican side dish made from cactus pads. It also becomes somewhat vinous as it warms.

Mouthfeel- slick almost greasy, low alcohol warmth.

Overall- having just tasted Telegraph's holiday Ale and the big smack of cinnamon that had, i have to say i somewhat enjoyed the subdued efforts of Stones 11/11/11 epic. I think by this time in the series the brewers were becoming bored or brash or both and just started throwing stuff in the beer. The Cinnamon was well played and the chilies worked okay, the whole thing played out a bit like a questionable "hole in the wall" mexican food joint. It doesn't look like much but it has it where it counts. The slick mouthfeel was a little off putting I thought of a greasy Chile Relleno. To me, if it was meant to be aged it would have a cork too...As one of the later releases in the epic series i imagine it was designed to not be cellared as long so it lacked some of the qualities i was expecting (slight oxidation, mellowed boozy warmth, hints of molasses plum and maybe some slight esthers or sourness) but, that's hardly the fault of the brewer. I wouldn't order another but this makes me wish I would have got in on the ground floor in the vertical epic series.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Plans fell through, liquor stores are closed, this looks tasty.

Poured from the bomber into a pub glass, semi rigorously, producing a billowing head. Head is thick, cakey, leaving a 1 finger dallop of white froth and thick clingy globs of lace.
Color on the brew is pretty red, more so then expected, it looks like a red ale and not a belgo strong.

Aroma is pulling strongly to pumpkin beer, more cinnamon then desired off aroma, but peppers are pulling up alongside, making for an odd aroma combo. Also some good bready caramel aroma too. Hops are blocked out.

Taste starts out sweet and malt driven, heating slowly with peppers and providing an interesting flavor profile. Malt, buttered rolls, cardamom like, and at the swallow is an overwhelming amount of cinnamon that pulls me down into pumpkin beer land.
Mouthfeel is slick, hop oil slick, medium carbonation, great feel overall.

I cant get past the cinnamon, its nagging and excessive and just ruins this beer for me.
Everything else is really good. The peers are terrific and they slowly sneak back up on you after the swallow.
Glad I tried it, but one was enough.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy amber with a thin, creamy off-white mousse.

S: Strong aromas of pungent yeast, banana, clove, dark bread, cinnamon, and chiles fill the nose.

T: Bready malt and spicy, pungent yeast notes fill the mouth upon entry. They are followed by flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, banana, caramel, bitter chocolate, and Anaheim chiles. The finish is spicy and rich with cinnamon and clove notes balanced by gentle heat from the chiles and a pungent yeast backbite.

M: Medium in body with a slick, oily texture. Other reviewers have found somewhat active carbonation, but I have yet to notice it. To me, the carbonation seems active upon entry, but comes off as otherwise restrained throughout. Not the most drinkable ale in the world.

O: This ale isn't great, but isn't horrible either. Like the other Vertical Epics, Stone was obviously trying to pack this beer with strong flavors, but went overboard here. As a result, they have ended up with a product that is too esoteric, too bombastic, and too unbalanced to be tremendously appealing. In the end, there are times when a brewery simply tries way too hard to impress its clientele, and that is exactly what Stone did here.

2.97/5  rDev -20.6%

On tap at Summits' Wayside Tavern Snellville. Reviewed from notes.

16 oz $7.99

(Appearance) Served with a light cream head of a thick cream foam. Retention is average. Color is a medium brown, with a lot of copper red accents. Appearance is lighter looking than I had expected but still decent. 3

(Smell) sweet aromatics, vanilla, caramel and a hint of chiles. Aroma certainly leans to the sweet side. Potency is a medium. the sweet aroma really overshadows much else this beer might have to offer. 3.5

(Taste) tart bitter spice and cinnamon malt flavors finishing with a sharp chile pepper taste. Pretty alarming in intensity overall, and most Flavors overdone throughout. There's a ton of confusion to this beer. sure, theres tons of flavor but without balance its nothing short of a muddled mess. Not really Stone's finest hour. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Slightly Prickly with medium carbonation. Low alcohol presence. Medium body. Decent pairing for what the taste goes for. 3.5

(Overall) Bizarre Flavors make for a really hit-or-miss beer. It finds such a niche market that I really don't feel iT is worth seeking out by most craft beer lovers. In the end I find it to be average at best and won't seek it out again. 3

2.96/5  rDev -20.9%

A: cherry red with a finger of transient yellow foam. Spotty lace.Excellent clarity.
S: cloves, bananas, chillies, cinnamon, just enough chili to make me interested.
T: tastes like a Belgian tripel with cinnamon and chili essence. Wrong yeast for this beer.
M: medium bodied with Smooth velvet carb.
O: meh. Cool idea. Want less yeast, more chili.

2.94/5  rDev -21.4%

Brewed with Pale, Crystal, Munich, CaraBohemian and Special B malts. Hopped with Warrior, Target, Perle and Pacific Jade.
9.4% ABV, 65 IBU, OG=20.5P, FG=2.5P. $8.99 for a 22oz bottle @ BevCo.

Pours out to a hazy medium amber, forming a nice soft smooth yellow head with superior retention and lacing. ~2.0 carbs. The nose is very peculiar...lots of banana followed by the unmistakeable nose of green chilis. This is not a subtle chili smell...it's like somebody dumped a shot of salsa verde in my beer, complete with the vinegar. The mouthfeel is soft a with mild carbonation and a medium-dense body, finishing dry. The taste is like the aroma...imagine a belgian dubbel with a shot of salsa verde. I'm not getting any cinnamon in here. Lingering pleasant but not overly firm bitterness nicely balances the sweet maltiness. Aftertaste of hop bitterness and leather. I'm not picking up any heat from the chilis at all.

Very peculiar beer. I'm glad that I've tried it, and it's brewed well, but it's not my thing. I wouldn't buy it again, and would only recommend it for the adventurous. This beer would be much better with black pepper or cayenne.

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz bottle purchased as a single at Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" tan head over the clear orangey copper brew. Head dwindles rather quickly, with heavy legs and reasonably lasting lace. Aroma is dominated by cinnamon.

Taste is sweet to start, the middle finds the cinnamon and pepper balancing nicely, but the close is just the alcohol and cinnamon. Mouthfeel is slickery smooth, and drinkability is okay for what it is. The flavors don't work much for me at all.

2.92/5  rDev -21.9%

22oz bottle. Pours a translucent dark brownish ruby color with a little bit of head. Good amount of lacing. Aroma is of chiles, green peppers, and maybe a tiny amount of smoke. Taste is more of the chiles. Some malt, green peppers and cinnamon . Honestly this beer tastes more like bell peppers than spicy chile peppers. Has some spice to it but not alot of heat. Odd aftertaste. Think its the cinnamon. This beer tastes weird and kind of medicinal. Overall, I don't like this very much and may not buy one to age.

2.91/5  rDev -22.2%

Count me as one that didn't enjoy this beer. Mild peppers? For me, the chili peppers just dominate this beer, and it's not so much that I don't like peppers in beer, since I've had several I like, but I think it's the type of pepper used. That green, spicy pepper flavor clashes with the other notes here and dominates them completely. The peppers are too bright and fruity to allow the other flavors to develop. I prefer either a smokier, more brooding pepper, which works particularly well with darker beers, or something subtler. I did have a siracha mild once that was delicious, but other flavors were at work there aside from just the heat and green vegetal qualities of the peppers. An interesting idea, but I think this should have been saved for a draught one-off, rather than made the 11/11/11. Oh well, not for me.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.