2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

(Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,402 | Reviews: 462 | Show All Ratings:
Beejis60

1.4/5  rDev -62.8%

Might be literally the worst beer I've ever had. Dumped it after five sips. Not quite sure how this beer is ranked so high, but hey, I also cannot stand Pliny the Elder.
Putrid malt taste, the light chili flavor in it is just out of place. Overcarbonated. Overseasoned. Just an overall bad beer. Words just cannot explain really how bad it is.
I am one more bad beer away from Stone from completely writing them off like I did with Sam Adams.

12-23-2011 06:46:52 | More by Beejis60
hwwty4

Missouri

1.55/5  rDev -58.8%

On tap, served in a 12oz wine glass at Martin City Brewing Company.

This beer pours a mahogany brownish red with a big 3 inch cap and leaves quite a bit of lacing down the sides of the glass. The best thing I can say about the aroma is that its definitely interesting. I would define it like a dunkelweizen that has been dry hopped with dates, coco nibs and chilies. Not good. Banana, clove, bubble gum, dates, chocolate and chili's all mixed together. I feel like I need to douche my nose. The taste is horrible. Every thing in the aroma is just amplified by about 10. Easily the worst tasting beer I've ever had from Stone. It's aweful. As in I'm in awe of how bad a beer Stone produced. The mouthfeel is oily. While it had a nice carbonation when pouring, its almost like none was absorbed into the beer itself. Stone tries to pack this beer of flavors and just completely misses the mark. I was only able to finish about 5oz of the 12oz I was served.

01-07-2012 18:24:03 | More by hwwty4
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -54.8%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark orangey color ale with large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of Anaheim peppers and bready yeast is intriguing with notes of cinnamon and caramel malt also easily noticeable. Taste is a mix between some solid caramel malt with a sweet edge and some cinnamon which unfortunately needs with too many spicy notes and therefore this beer ends ups as a major mess. Body is full with limited filtration and huge malt backbone with good carbonation. No alcohol notes or if there was any there were hidden by the peppers notes. I could barely bring myself to drink ¼ of the bottle before it hit the drain. Not sure where all those high rates are coming from.

01-30-2012 17:58:34 | More by Phyl21ca
cbilek06

1.88/5  rDev -50%

Keep your Zantac handy...

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass.

Wonderful and rich copper color, decent head although not the tight bubbles you see on many Belgians.

Smell fruity, caramel, but I couldn't smell the chilies or cinnamon as others have described.

Taste. A disaster. I was hoping the chilies would be an interesting afterthought, something slightly spicy to add to the sweet malt. No, the chilies were too overwhelming from initial taste to finish.

Mouthfeel- medium body, medium carbonation, can feel the spicy chilies in the mouth.

Overall - Undrinkable, I drank half and poured the rest down the drain which I rarely do. Had to take a Zantac because the chilies gave me acid reflux. I would drink a Keystone Light before I have another one of these.

05-14-2012 14:40:51 | More by cbilek06
AC-Mivsek

2.04/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours very hazy amber, thin off-white head.

S- Overpowering spicy chili and a bit of cinnamon.

T- Very similar to the nose. It's basically all chiles. Cinnamon comes in a little on the aftertaste.

M- medium body and medium carbonation, but it is not easy to drink.

O- I don't know, maybe I let this sit for too long. I knew it would be spicy being brewed with Anaheim chilies and cinnamon, but this just obliterated any expectation I had. It is unbelievably spicy.

01-24-2013 00:32:26 | More by AC-Mivsek
Brent

Kentucky

2.05/5  rDev -45.5%

Did I get a bad bottle? That is the first thought that crossed my mind. Some editions of this beer I've liked more than others, but this is the first of the series that I have simply disliked. Some Belgian yeast notes and perhaps some Belgian candy sugar, but hovering at the surface was a dusty, acrid bitterness, like cheap dried spice that has languished too long in the spice cabinet. Drying at the end with an unpleasant woodyness.

01-02-2012 18:15:06 | More by Brent
smokescreen

2.08/5  rDev -44.7%

Beer like this is a gamble. With its stately magnum bottle, its limited release, its special date, and its unorthodox flavor pairings, one is compelled to wonder why, if a product is so special and wonderful, it is not a part of wider release? If you've got something really noteworthy on your hands, it seems to me that you'd want to capitalize on that, or at least make sure more people get a chance to try it. When a limited release is capped at a small batch due to a high-cost or hard-to-find ingredient, its specialness is, for many, quickly justified. But when a product is offered in a limited release with readily available ingredients, in a medium that invites large-scale production (beer!), its curious if it has the backbone to support all the fanfare.

Here, our unusual ingredients are Anaheim chilis and cinnamon. Not an unusual combination on its own, but certainly an original twist on a chili beer, especially with the addition of Belgian yeast. The idea doesn't strike me as a "sure thing", but I take the plunge and buy in, based mostly on Stone's excellent reputation, my particular love of their classic Californian, mega-hopped varieties, and my out-and-out worship of mexican food and spicy food in general in conjunction with beer. I've also been known to house an unusually large hot sauce collection, a half dozen in the fridge at any given time, so I seem to be a good candidate.

Pouring into a small wine glass, the head is assertive, leaving impressive lacing and blanketing a rich, mahogany colored ocean of sweet-smelling beer. The Belgian hops make themselves known on the nose right away, building a little excitement. By sight and smell, this is certainly a well-made beer, and it bespeaks Stone's beautiful marriage of art and science.

I dive greedily in, nose down into the glass.

What happens next is less fun.

A round body of sweet Belgian malt, which quite wonderfully provides those iconic citric and musty notes, surrounds a astringent, muddled flavor who's final punchline is: ashtray. Following that, an aftertaste creeps up that takes all the dryness of cinnamon, all the oily heat of smoked peppers, and all the cloying sweetness of Belgian brews, and forces them into an unfortunate boxing match between sickly sweet and abrasively bitter, where no one's the winner and everyone just looks stupid. It's all wrong. Instead of balancing each other out, the two just erase all pleasure from the experience by offering the worst of both worlds. The ultimate lasting impression is having taken a shot of liquor from an ashtray coated in Sweet-N-Low. How's that for a beer review?

I take another sip, this time in disbelief. No, I must have missed something. But reliving the experience only confirmed that not only did I not care for this beer, but that I could not finish it.

Here I should clarify and say that I am not a man too proud to turn down much of anything, let alone to commit the disgusting act of throwing away perfectly good food. But this quite literally turned my stomach, and down the drain it went.

In my estimation, this was made a special, limited release because it was recognized at the factory either as a complete misstep, or as something that would only be enjoyed by a very limited number of people, and could not be sold beyond a few hundred cases. For my sake, I wish it was never released at all. It offers nothing to please the beer lover or the chili-head. I'm sorry to say, avoid. Stone messed up.

12-24-2011 19:55:12 | More by smokescreen
HopHead84

2.13/5  rDev -43.4%

11/19/2011

On tap at Stone.

A: Reddish brown with a finger of beige foam. Solid retention and a little lacing.

S: Pronounced clove and cinnamon. The pepper smells pretty nice. The yeast smells like cotton candy and bubblegum. I don't really like this yeast. I also get banana.

T: Strong clove-like phenols and banana with evident cinnamon. The chilis really don't go well with this Belgian yeast. It creates a medicinal harshness that makes me want to grab mouthwash. The chili is at odds with the clove-like phenols and bubblegum banana esters. Not a pleasant combination. The finish is the worst, and it really lingers.

M: Medium body with upper moderate carbonation.

Overall: One of the worst Stone beers I've had.

11-20-2011 17:17:09 | More by HopHead84
gregb13

2.2/5  rDev -41.5%

Looked great in the glass; awesome color and head with moderate lacing. Smelled of Benadryl and bananas, with some metals. Taste: The chiles came in with a vengeance. The chile taste wasn't bad, except when it collided with the bananas, cinnamon, and metal it was not pleasant. I finished the bomber but it was a chore. Slightly better as it warmed, which is odd given the phenolic quality but whatever. Not a fan.

11-17-2011 06:26:33 | More by gregb13
Philousa

2.2/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.75

Just cracked open this beer after aging it for over a year. It was kept in my fridge the whole time. May have been too cold to age, but I left it there more out of disinterest than anything else.

This pours a crystal clear cherry color, a dark red tending towards brown. Spots fo light tan head stick to the glass as you drink. Nose starts with lots of sweet caramel with allspice and some cinnamon. This smells like a spice cake. The sweetness is almost tangible. I get no peppers in the aroma. The flavor starts sweet too, with caramel, sweet bread, and rye. The candied sugar is heavy with this one. The flavors drift darker with some tobacco and very weak whisky. I can't tell what kind of hops are used, but they definitely are not the traditional West Coast varietals that Stone tends to favor. Most likely Saaz or another noble hop, as I get some nectar flavor and aroma. I also get some burnt Anaheim pepper taste, or maybe that's stale pepper heat? This beer finishes with severely burnt toast, and it lingers longer than it's welcome. The feel is slightly more watery than viscous, the finish dry.

I remember liking this on tap a year ago, but the heat is gone and something changed to give a burnt food flavor to it. Definitely not going to try again. I'm confused as to how I should rate it, though. The initial product was good, but aging it made it terrible. Keeping in mind that Stone advocated aging it, I decided not to hold back on the negativity in my rating. After all, this was confused at the get go. Is this a spiced beer, a traditional Belgian, or an American chili beer? Whatever Stone says it is, I say it's not very good.

01-24-2013 05:22:04 | More by Philousa
loving44

2.23/5  rDev -40.7%

Poured milk chocolate brown with a tan head.

S: The aroma is a strange combination of fruity Belgian yeast, banana, toast, and a light, earthy pepper aroma. Mixed together it's kind of weird.

T: unbalanced, chili pepper up front, with a syrupy cinnamon aftertaste. Didn't like it at all. I would assume that with some age the flavors would meld a little better, but who knows.

M: decent mouth feel, medium-heavy body.

Overall: didn't like it, and I don't want to go though the effort to age this.

11-19-2011 05:05:14 | More by loving44
jds619

2.23/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours a dark red that is unusual but interesting. The aroma is a slight cinnamon sweetness with belgian yeast and chiles. At this point it is intriguing.

However, the flavor is all chiles up front that finishes with a merging of belgian yeast, chiles and just the slightest cinnamon which is barely detectable. The merging of the flavors is really more of a crashing, as they do not blend well together at all. They create a harsh aftertaste that is not enjoyable. I have another that I will age, hopefully the flavors work themselves out over time.

11-24-2011 06:05:39 | More by jds619
RuckusDu

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A - Looks nice with 2 finger khaki head. Body is dark reddish amber.

S - It is sweet and sour. A lot of Juicy Fruit and some dark notes of sour cherries.

T - Goes terribly wrong here. A mix of Juicy Fruit, bell pepper, sour milk, and wheat. Not good. Hits you in the back of the mouth with sour bitterness.

M - Decent job here. Nice balance between carbonation and thickness.

O - I don't know what happened to this beer. Everything is good about it except for the taste. Just funky.

11-16-2011 05:29:41 | More by RuckusDu
Boto

Connecticut

2.3/5  rDev -38.8%

Draught @ Mikro: This one poured a hazy, dark amber color. There was a small tan head on it. I’m not to sure about the aroma. Peppers are predominate. They tend to mask much of anything else. There is a blended aroma besides the peppers, but it isn’t really compelling nor offensive. The taste is different. I get a Belgian yeasty, bready beer with some hops, but then the light peppery taste manages to overwhelm it, and not in a good way. Maybe the peppers will mellow over time, but right now this beer isn’t that good.

03-09-2012 18:28:29 | More by Boto
cpetrone84

2.33/5  rDev -38%

the pour is transparent burgundy red with little tan colored head. Nose is medicinal, cherry, light mint and overly sweet. Flavor is too sweet and medicinal with notes of cherry and mint with a bandaid finish. Body is syrupy and heavy with a low carb. ouch!

04-10-2012 14:25:04 | More by cpetrone84
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

22oz into Deschutes pint glass.

A- Nice orangey amber on the pour, a sandy tan, almost eggnog head builds and leaves some rather nice lacing on the glass. Foam is dense.

S- The yeast in this one is crazy. Lots of bubblegum, bananas, and all around spicy yeast goodness. You get a nice whiff of the cinnamon and the faintest hint of the peppers.

T- Eh, Wow. I taste the banana-y yeast, it jumps out from the start. The cinnamon is muted, and the chiles provide a mild green note. Alcohol is very present... Spices intermingle, but not really to the benefit of anything. The spicy and the sweet flavors do not mesh, my tongue is confused.

M- What is that? I don't think it's the chile. Cinnamon? Something's leaving a weird feeling in my mouth. OK, the chile shows up in the end too, with a bit of heat. It's got to be the alcohol? I think this one's a bit too boozy for its own good.

O- Did not finish- not even my first glass. Really unappealing flavors. Sorry, Greg, I thought I was going to seriously groove on this one, but it's a head-scratcher.

11-14-2011 23:13:20 | More by ShogoKawada
ehammond1

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

On Tap

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

A deep auburn bordering on caramel brown with a thin light brown head.

The aroma is a strange combination of tangy Belgian yeast, caramel malts, a bit of banana, and a very mild, earthy chile presence. They don't seem to blend particularly well together, though on paper I know it doesn't sound all that bad. Maybe it's the cinnamon's fault?

The flavor is just as confused as the aroma. The Belgian yeast is dominant along with a sweet banana flavor, some cracked black pepper, and just a hint of chile warming lingers. On paper, it doesn't sound that bad, but it really wasn't at all enjoyable.

Medium to thick bodied with moderate carbonation.

A mess. I struggled through my 8oz. and didn't finish the glass.

11-16-2011 02:54:21 | More by ehammond1
chugalug06

Colorado

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Big. Builds fast and BIG. Nice spotty lacing. Brew is weird purple cinnamon color.

S - Weird. There's lots of pepper and spice. Not much other then pepper and spice. No Belgian resonance.

T - Kinda of bland for the interesting flavors it's brewed with. No heat (spice). No heat (abv). Almost sour... blah. Where's the spice??? This brew is a terrible mess.

M - Over carbonation. Moderate heat. Light and thin.

O - Unique, but missing a lot. Totally missed the Belgian style. For such a big release this one disappoints. Don't get me wrong this brew is exciting, but it has no direction... it's a mess. Not nearly as good as the previous years... Stone, where have you gone? I'll come brew for you :)

11-22-2011 04:36:11 | More by chugalug06
kojevergas

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are relatively high; Stone can disappoint but on average they tend to brew interesting beers.

A: Pours a four finger head of nice cream lacing, great thickness, and fantastic retention considering the relatively high ABV. Colour is a semitransparent copper.

Sm: Aroma is surprisingly yeasty, with a fair amount of floral notes, bittering hops, and spice - maybe even pumpkin. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: The bittering hops and spice clash quite a bit, I have to say. I don't know that aging would resolve this issue. Lots of weird notes are in there, including misplaced spices and bad caramel. The balance is completely off and the build is pretty badly considered. At least the alcohol doesn't come through. This is the worst possible outcome given the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Entirely too thick, however. It sort of complements the flavours.

Dr: Hard to drink on account of its low quality and bad balance. I hope that aging resolves its issues, and that I'm just guilty of opening it too early. I wouldn't buy it again, but I guess I'd try it aged. It's certainly experimental, which I applaud, but this is unfortunately a failure.

12-09-2011 07:40:27 | More by kojevergas
rodkin

Missouri

2.43/5  rDev -35.4%

Pours pretty dark for a pale ale. Deep reddish, amber kind of color, with about a 2.5 finger head, which reduces but doesn't disappear entirely.

Smell is banana, clove, spice, a kind of bready character. Interesting and complex, but gets points more for being interesting than smelling good, necessarily.

Taste is pretty unpleasant. It's like the smell, but it seems off, somehow. It's got a pretty bizarre aftertaste of slightly bitter, overripe chili, which doesn't really go well with the banana spice character. Aftertaste is hard to put a name to, but it's pretty foul and it lingers. Kind of reminds me of cough medicine from when I was a kid.

Mouthfeel is okay, kind of thin and carbonated, but it coats the mouth a bit and leaves that taste just swirling around.

Didn't like this at all. Pretty disappointed, as all my experiences with chili in beer so far have been great, but this was definitely a miss.

06-26-2012 05:05:28 | More by rodkin
thecheapies

2.43/5  rDev -35.4%

11.11.11, a year and change later. In a pint glass.

Very cloudy and muddy brown. Looks like pond water with some afterwash foam scum.

Cardboard oxidation, overripe banana, caramel, and muddy malts.

Definitely didn't keep well. Papery and caramelized and turned. Cinnamon is still prevalent and the banana is just behind the accent. The heat is barely there. It's just not right, however. No distinguishable malt profile. Only what I remember from last year.

Drinks smooth, but with light carbonation. Alcohol levels are a little seeping.

Should have reviewed this last year. An otherwise okay beer turned bad. Time was not the answer. Sorry Stone. Drain pour.

12-21-2012 15:59:39 | More by thecheapies
peabody

Kentucky

2.44/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a slightly couldy amber to ice tea color with one finger of off-white suds. Slight lacing here.
Smell is malty sugar and yeast. Buttered raisin bread with burbon on top. the 9.4% is way over the top. Not enough ingredients and too much booze. Terrible.
Taste is a boozy mess with some raisin bread alcohol pudding thrown in there for good measure. Gross.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky but mostly clean. The problem is you don't want these flavors in your mouth after the initial taste. Nasty.
Overall I am going to poop on this one just like Stone did to all of us expecting something special out of this Vertical Epic nighmare. Booo on Stone.

02-02-2013 02:33:23 | More by peabody
danedelman

2.45/5  rDev -34.8%

Since I am no longer a huge hop head, I am wondering what a stone will taste like to me now.

A-a nice amber, reddish collor with a lite head with a nice lacing.

S-smell hops right in front, lots of piney hops too. Then a bit of a malt background.

T-ugh!! That was rough!! hops with a nutmeg flavor. ugh again, like tasting pine sol. nasty!! I drank a nice 4 year old barleywine before this so I am wondering if it is just not a good match. but ugh!! this stuff sucks. Lemony piney, f yeah!! Pine Sol is all I can think about.

m-can't get over the flavor to get the mouthfeel. dumping this crap down the drain now.

11-30-2011 03:50:04 | More by danedelman
Overlord

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

Fresh off a nice Steel Reserve 211 (I hear some folks score it as high as a 3.7!!!) I was curious to give this puppy a whirl. As always, I keep an open mind for the novel and new in the beer world.

Pours a burnished brown with some burnt orange highlights when held to a light. Long lasting off-white crust and some bubbling.

Smells like medicinal toasted herbal banana cloves, with more medicinal notes, alcohol solvent, more medicinal notes, and please Yog Sothoth ... please don't let that be roasted chili pepper laced with cinnamon. Oh, great Cthulhu, no. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The smell had promise (at least, the promise of a solid base), but the flavor of this beer is ruined by an epic spice/adjunct overload that vertically sodomizes my tastebuds. The clove/banana/medicine has a lot of promise, but does not mesh well with other flavors. The solvent-y alcohol-y ness of this beer is surprising given it is only 9.6 abv. The chiles are unnecessary and distracting, and do not mesh with the belgian semi-sweet base. The yeast is swallowed up by competing and distracting flavors. It's like cats drenched in various spices are fighting for supremacy in my mouth, and no matter who wins, I lose.

It's a shame what they did to a beer that obviously started with promise. I mean ... this is one of the more solid Belgian bases that Stone has come up with in recent years, and the unnecessary detritus they heaped into it has really detracted from the overall appeal.

Mouthfeel does little enliven this brew.

11-10-2011 06:34:59 | More by Overlord
Thorpe429

2.53/5  rDev -32.7%

Bottle picked up from Rick's in Alexandria. Served in a Stone Vertical Epic glass that can be described as stemless martini-like.

Pours a dark golden-copper color with a good white head and some lacing. The nose brings forward plenty of chilis plus a moderate amount of cinnamon and light malt. Taste is a bit odd at first, getting worse as it warms. As expected, the flavors don't come together at all. Terrible idea; bad execution. Not really looking forward to this again in 2012, but I suppose I must. Finish was grossly dry. Bad.

12-17-2011 01:21:25 | More by Thorpe429
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.