Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

(Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours an amber, dark brown color with an off white head that dissipates very quickly. Lacing is left on the glass.

I get banana and cinnamon up front. There is also a strong malt backbone and a bit of other dark fruit. I don't smell chilis.

This is a little bit of everything all rolled into one. Banana, dark fruit esters, and cinnamon come through first. This is much more balanced by hops than the smell indicated. Chilis do show up towards the end, but are never overpowering.

Carbonation is nice and creamy with a medium body.

Overall, I enjoyed this. I am not reviewing it as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. This was really well crafted, and I'm excited to see what a year or so of aging does to the flavor. The chilis were a nice touch.

fatmcb1, Dec 11, 2011

brokentee, Dec 11, 2011

marct, Dec 11, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

Chugs13, Dec 10, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a large wine glass, the beer is a vibrant, ruby-hued amber coloring with a steady dose of carbonation bubbling and a thin film of beige head. Very clean looking brew. Light clinging to the glass, but nothing that holds for a great length of time. Aromas of slightly sour and bready yeast characteristics, light candied and toffee malt profile, and sweet greens. The beer's flavors are dark roasted initially, with a baked caramel sweetness and some earthy tones to balance. There is a slight spicing throughout, with some pepper and clove presence. Medium bodied, there are only the slightest hints of the chiles throughout, but they help to keep the beer clean. The aftertaste is more of the tangy malt and slightly sour yeast, with a cinnamon spicing at the very end. The finish is clean, and slinks away without much distraction from the beer itself. Very tasty brew!

GarthDanielson, Dec 10, 2011

Quaffenator, Dec 10, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy deep ruby red in color with dark pink highlights. Topped by a nice off-white head that sticks around for a long time and leaves a bit of sticky lacing as it goes. The smell is really interesting as the first aroma I pick up is cinnamon. Some other hot spices follow, very much like a freshly picked chilie pepper. Its got the sweet heat that you get out of chilies, which is a very cool smell to pick up in a beer. Actually reminds me of the Carribean jerk flavor. Backed by a bit of clove and sweet booze, the aroma is well-rounded and strangely pleasant.

The Carribean jerk flavor really does come through in the taste too, but not as prevelantly as it was on the nose. Cinnamon and clove tastes work together to bring a sweet and spicy kind of character to this beer, backing the chilies. The chilie pepper taste is not hot so much as it brings another dimension to the spicy, Belgian style. It actually competes with the clove to gain top spot in the spice character of the beer, edging clove out by a bit in the end. A very light taste of banana even manages to fit its way in to the flavor profile in the lingering aftertaste. This aftertaste also has a touch of most of the other flavors in the beer, most prevelantly the chilies and cinnamon. A gritty mouthfeel and bone dry finish round out the flavors perfectly, complementing everything exactly how it should. The amazing thing about this beer is how unique and different the flavors are, combined with the fact that it remains completely balanced throughout the taste.

This is a fantastic and unique beer and one that I am so glad I got my hands on. It saddens me that I didn't know about this series until this year (the fact that I was 14 when the series started doesn't help). I would love to do a vertical of them in 2012, but alas, will probably not get that chance. I will definitely have to see if I can get my hands on another one of these to at least do a vertical of the last two. Worth the buy for sure.

chodinheaven, Dec 10, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Clear amber body with a thin head. Once the head is gone there's not even a trace around the edge.

Smells of banana, clove, and light herbal hops. The cinnamon is mild.

The primary taste is the phenolic bananas and cloves, a dash of cinnamon, and a green herbal hop bite. I wouldn't pick up the chiles if I didn't know they were in there. There's only a mild chile taste with no residual heat. Flavor is ok, but don't seem to mesh well.

Mouthfeel is undercarbonated, but medium bodied.

I just wasn't feeling this one. I'm a big fan of Stone, but this one disappointed me a little.

Vonerichs, Dec 10, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

A- From appearance, I wouldn't call it a pale ale, but that'st just me. More of a red color with a one finger off white head that has just a thin slick of retention.
S- The aromas I'm picking up are much more prevalent on the cinnamon side than the chile side. The chiles are there but it's a minor undertone, rather than a big aroma, and I think that's proper. The Belgian yeast is noticable, but the aroma is first and foremost cinnamon.
T- More complex and varied on the tongue. The first thing I pick up is cinnamon again, but there is a light peach/pear flavor coming from the yeast strain. The chilis are noticable in the finish as just a slightly warming prickly sensation.
M- Medium light body. Carbonatin is low and a fairly long finish.
O- I can admit when I'm wrong. When they announced the nature of this year's Epic, I had low expectations. I was wrong. Is it my favorite beer or favorite from Stone? No. But it's a quality beer that finds balance in disparate ingrediants.

jsprain1, Dec 10, 2011

bbes347, Dec 10, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a darkish amber color with a dense khaki colored head that settles into a light cap. Definitely does not look "pale".

The aroma has a sweet candi-sugar aroma. The yeast provide some clove like notes with some flowery perfume. The peppers provide a light vegetal aroma and there is a light hint of the cinnamon. Some metal notes as well.

The taste starts off with a sweet belgian base; candi sugar and clovey yeast, medicinal & perfumey. Some overripe fruit is coupled with a peppery flavor, both vegetal and spicy. Cinnamon come through towards the end. Some hoppy grassiness as well. Not sure if all of the flavors totally work together here. Not sure if it needs the cinnamon.

The feel is moderate with very fizzy carbonation. Zesty on the palate; sweet and spicy with light bitterness. A lot going on, probably too much.

A decent beer that tries to do too much. Needs to be scaled back a bit.

Gmann, Dec 10, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Stone, you're a badass. I've had a few of these now, but my first impression after a sniff was a doubtful, "Dude, what temp did you ferment?" In other words - ester bomb. But as the beer warmed up, things started to come together (like a plan on the A-Team). When I say things, I mean the cinnamon. Very nice with the fruitiness of the yeast. Not too over the top, and it felt warm and festive as the beer came to room temp. It's brown and carbonated and bubbly and dark-fruity and pretty and boozy and a little thin and that's all made better...because it has cinnamon.

specksnreds, Dec 10, 2011

jlb502, Dec 09, 2011

nickhiller, Dec 09, 2011
3.75/5  rDev 0%

CSQ1111, Dec 09, 2011

Popp24, Dec 09, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -35.5%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are relatively high; Stone can disappoint but on average they tend to brew interesting beers.

A: Pours a four finger head of nice cream lacing, great thickness, and fantastic retention considering the relatively high ABV. Colour is a semitransparent copper.

Sm: Aroma is surprisingly yeasty, with a fair amount of floral notes, bittering hops, and spice - maybe even pumpkin. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: The bittering hops and spice clash quite a bit, I have to say. I don't know that aging would resolve this issue. Lots of weird notes are in there, including misplaced spices and bad caramel. The balance is completely off and the build is pretty badly considered. At least the alcohol doesn't come through. This is the worst possible outcome given the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Entirely too thick, however. It sort of complements the flavours.

Dr: Hard to drink on account of its low quality and bad balance. I hope that aging resolves its issues, and that I'm just guilty of opening it too early. I wouldn't buy it again, but I guess I'd try it aged. It's certainly experimental, which I applaud, but this is unfortunately a failure.

kojevergas, Dec 09, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle served in a Stone epic glass. Purchased at Total Wine in Tucson for 5.99.

Appearance deep amber good inch and half head that doesn't last long.

Smell a cross between Belgian saision and Belgian strong. Banana and very strong clove quite muddy on the smell and blends into spicy plum on the mid tongue.

The first taste has a tinge of alcohol on the tongue when it warms up in the mouth you have banana, clove, Belgian yeast and spicy plum many different levels of flavor spice and burn. On the end you have a slite hop and spice chili.

Mouthfeel is quite good it has weight and that part is they must have some flaked barley in this because it is very creamy.

Overall this is much better than last years it is way above the total failure of last years 10/10/10! It looks like Stone is getting their act together in designing new beers for the first time since the departure of their long time brewmaster!

harlanhu28, Dec 09, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +8%

pours semi cloudy dark copper with a small off white head that faded to a small film and left some spotted lacing

smells of chilies banana nutty fruity malt

taste is solid - the chilies are very present and change a very standard been there drank that beer into something interesting

mouthfeel is a medium light body with good carbonation semi dry

overall great flavor and i enjoyed every sip - doubt i will buy another one just for the fact it will not be brewed again and there are plenty of one of beers out there i have not tried plus i dont see this aging well

jsh420, Dec 09, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

A: The beer is a nice dark amber with a very thick, probably 2-3 finger, head that lasts a long time.

S: There is a lot of clove, banana, some tropical fruit and a little spicy smell.

T: This beer is very tasty. I do get a lot of clove and a little chili on the back of the tongue. I am also getting a good amount of fruitiness.

M: It is very smooth and easy to drink. I love the slight bit of carbonation and has a low amount of crispness.

O: I think this beer would be better with age. It is so tasty and a little time, itll be great. I wish I could get all the other ones let them age till 12.12.12

gtermi, Dec 09, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Count me as one that didn't enjoy this beer. Mild peppers? For me, the chili peppers just dominate this beer, and it's not so much that I don't like peppers in beer, since I've had several I like, but I think it's the type of pepper used. That green, spicy pepper flavor clashes with the other notes here and dominates them completely. The peppers are too bright and fruity to allow the other flavors to develop. I prefer either a smokier, more brooding pepper, which works particularly well with darker beers, or something subtler. I did have a siracha mild once that was delicious, but other flavors were at work there aside from just the heat and green vegetal qualities of the peppers. An interesting idea, but I think this should have been saved for a draught one-off, rather than made the 11/11/11. Oh well, not for me.

Georgiabeer, Dec 09, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a deep amber color. Body is clear and free of sediment. One and a half finger oatmeal colored head. The head works its way back slowly. Solid wall of lacing clings to the walls of the glass.

Nontraditional combination of ingredients leads to a bit of a nontraditional flavor. Sweet bready malt, spice and pepper aromas intermingle. Yeast aroma stands up on its own, I enjoy the aroma by itself I am still trying to adjust to the aroma along side the peppers.

The flavor starts out sweet, slightly fruity. Sweet pale malt, banana, and subtle almost tropical fruitiness. Bits of clove emerge just behind along with hints of cinnamon. The Anaheim chilies finally assert themselves on the back of the palate. I like the pepper flavor but it lacks integration.

Medium bodied beer. Carbonation is moderate and appropriate. Finish is dry and pleasant.

At this point this beer is not doing it for me. You take away the chiles and I really enjoy it. The chilie flavor simply lacks integration and I have a hard time getting past this. I am interested to see how this one matures over the next year, at this point it is not for me.

kzoobrew, Dec 09, 2011

WarnerJC8, Dec 09, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

Clear red with a frothy brown/beige cap. Good head retention with quite a bit of clumpy lacing. Nice aroma, banana fruitiness with some apple and clove, spicy and bready, mild alcohol and yeast. Sweet throughout, kind of sugary and fruity with caramel holding it all together. Bitterness up front, but this gave way to mild peppery heat towards the end, which was nicely balanced. Full bodied with moderate to low carbonation, a bit sticky with some alcohol warmth. Overall, I enjoyed it.

DrJay, Dec 09, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

codynevels, Dec 09, 2011
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.