Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap at When Pigs Fly in Kittery. In a pint glass the beer was a red/orange/brown color with a small tan head.

Sweet malt and spice aroma. Warming in my nose.

The tastes worked well together. Caramel malt and clove. Chile present, warm, pleasant.

I enjoyed this beer. Nothing over the top, just a nice melange.

Will drink this again.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Deep hazy copper with a slightly orange tinged thin white head.

S: Rather bland, mostly a belgian yeast cloves smell with some heat from the peppers.

T: Pepper up front through to the finish with a clove spice to it, not as spicy as I imagined though.

A: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Rather bland beer to me, it was more spicy from the Belgian yeast than the peppers and the cinnamon wasn't noticeable.

3.31/5  rDev -12%

Had this the other night at Bier Thirty... This review is from a bottle. Poured into my Delerium goblet... 2 finger tan head... the brew is clear deep amber... nice lacing.

Big spiciness in the nose... too much for my liking.. the cinnamon and clove phenols run a bit high... banana and hints of bubblegum are also too big. Not getting much chili.

The chilis are more discernible on the palate... a very mild but building heat with a distinctive vegetable flavor.. still, the cinnamon is sooo far out of place that I just don't appreciate this one. The "yeasty Belgian flavors" would be much better off without additional spices... decent malt profile that mainly acts as a spice delivery device... Mehhh.

This is probably my least favorite VE yet... and I doubt it will get any better for my palate.. the cinnamon is only going to grow as the other flavors lessen...

Sorry... I just don't dig it.

4/3/3.5/3.5/3

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

I poured from a bomber into a snifter, deep cooper pour, good white head, light lacing. The aroma is heavy on cloves and bannanas. The cloves domoinate the flavors, light cinamon, I could not taste the chillies. The body is medium, good carbonation, no discernable booze. Not my kind of beer, too much clove.

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Presentation: Bomber bottle poured into my Allagash tulip. Chilled.

Appearance: Medium brown in color with a two finger beige head. A bit darker than the golden color mentioned on the label.

Aroma: The Anahesim chiles really stand out. It's a nice and mild heat. Hints of cinnamon and other spices. Bananna, clove and light citrus make for a nice base.

Taste: The chile notes are upfront here too. The mild nature of the peppers really allow there to be a strong pepper note without overwhelming heat. The cinnamon and other spices provide a nice backing. The base beer is also nice and balanced. The bananna and clove combine with the spices to compliment the chiles well. I also get a touch of hop bitterness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and nice carbonation.

Overall, a really nice belgian pale where the chile flavors work well in my opinion. The peppers provide good flavor and not too much heat. I really think this beer works. My favorite one off from Stone in a while. I'm glad I have one more to cellar.

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. This is the first VE that I've had more than a couple ounces of.

3.5 A: Minimally hazed dark amber color. Almost three fingers of foamy/frothy beige head. Retention isn't that great, but that might be a function of the Anaheims in this and little lacing is left.

4.5 S: The yeast is running the show on this brew. Lots of banana esters, bubblegum, and to a lesser extent, clove and pepper in this. The cinnamon adds a moderate contribution, which works really well with the spicy yeastiness. A small plum and apple fruitiness from the malts. The Anaheims don't contribute a lot to the nose.

3.5 T: Unlike the nose, it doesn't take much effort to find the Anaheims in the taste. Their earthy/vegetal character is easily discernible. More clove and pepper than the nose with less banana and bubblegum. The cinnamon is a bit distracting, but tolerable enough. I like what the peppers bring, but I think there's just a little too much of them, especially in the aftertaste (which is a dry, vegetal bitterness).

4.0 M: Medium body. Good spritzy carbonation. Good creaminess.

4.0 D: Definitely an interesting experiment and I'm happy to have tried it. I think the ingredient combo is a good one, but that the proportions might be a tad off.

Here's my review from a late 2012 vertical of 03.03.03 - 12.12.12.

2.5 A: Murky light brown color. Not much head formed.

3.5 S: Holy piss have the peppers gained strength. Huge Anaheim aroma. The cinnamon is all but lost. Banana and light spice.

3.5 T: Again a ton of pepper flavor and a nice vegetal spiciness from that. More cinnamon in the taste. Banana, bubblegum.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess. Not bad.

3.5 D: Decent overall. I like how the peppers have opened up.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance - How is this even a BSPA? it is dark as hell, murky brown with amber hues lingering towards the ends of the glass. About a fingers worth of head, very fluffy.

Smell. The quintessential BSPA is right in this beer. I dont get much cinnamon or chiles, more funky belgian yeast, grass, sweetness. I am unsure what to think going into the taste.

Taste - ohhh this beer. Different than most i have tasted. The belgian strong pale ale tastes are RIGHT there, and perfectly executed. You wait and wait for that chile to hit and boom, right at the end you get this little tingle and just a tad bit of heat going down your throat. The cinnamon isn't very apparent but probably put in just to balance this one out. SO impressed with the taste on this.

Mouthfeel - Silky, moderatly sticky and chewy.

Overall - I have to say, this beer really caught me off guard. I am not a chile beer fan but this one is so well balanced and uses them in the right way. It is a very subdued flavor but there if you are looking for it. Very intelligent style to bring these flavors into. I have to tip my hat to Stone. The taste is phenomenal, nose is great. Just shy of an A+ for me honestly, and i dont even like this style. GREAT! seek it out.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a pint glass as When Pigs Fly. Pours a muddy brown color with roughly a finger of of beige head.

Hints of spiciness in the aroma with some fruit and a belgian yeast aroma. A little peppery on the aroma. The flavor is real nice. Good rich malts with a fruity raisin/plumb aroma with a little bit of an after burn to finish it off.

Nice medium body here with good carbonation. Nice lingering flavors.

Overall pretty tasty. Good amount of chili's to give it a good complimenting flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

I've never actually reviewed one of these Vertical Epics before, nor do I have any in my cellar. If figure, why start now since I didn't start from the beginning right?

A: Poured a fairly dark, peppery mohogany color that still had a fairly translucent disposition throughout. The pathetic few bubbles posing as a head stuck around for a good bit.

S: This one ALMOST had a Belgian character on the nose, but not quite. Mild funk, with a tinge of candy sugar and cinnamon.

T: This was sort of a cross between a Winter Warmer and a Trippel, with warming spices that mildly tapped the palate and gave it a good Christmas schlacking. Additionally, I got the spicy chiles as a sensation on the finish only which came off as somewhat smokey and the more sips I took, the more they started to heat up. After awhile, I lost the coriander flair that reminded me of a Trippel and got the cinnamon.

M: Man, those chiles gave this one a lot of character and did wonders for this one in terms of mouthfeel. If one were to only get a small sample glass of this stuff, they might miss out on the chiles' follow-through. There was no lacing left on the glass, but that wasn't what this one was about anyway.

O: I think this one has fallen victim to the "it's unworthy because it's not made in a popular style" category. For what it is, a Chile beer, I think it's pretty damn good.

2.68/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured chilled in ale glass at friend's house. I was very excited to try this one out.

A: pomegranate-colored appearance; no head; no carbonation
S: sweet; vanilla, banana, bubble gum; quite promising
T: cinnamon is strong, but the chili pepper is not apparent; much like a pumpkin imperial; overly spiced

Sorry, but this felt like I was sucking an alcoholic cinnamon stick

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

On-tap at Kelly Korner Tavern in a shaker pint. On to the beer:

Looks brownish amber in color with a small white head which leaves spots of lacing around the glass. There are a lot of chili peppers in the nose, and just when you think it's one-dimensional, out comes a fruity Belgian yeast character that hits the spot.

I anticipated a really spicy beer, and while the spice is there, it doesn't kill your paalte. In fact, it's quite complimentary to the Belgian yeast characteristics. Dark fruits like plums and raisin, also some unsweetened chocolate. There's little (if any) sign of the alcohol, which at the time I suspected was just under 8%, not the listed 9.4%.

To my surprise, I liked this quite a bit.

2.21/5  rDev -41.2%

11/19/2011

On tap at Stone.

A: Reddish brown with a finger of beige foam. Solid retention and a little lacing.

S: Pronounced clove and cinnamon. The pepper smells pretty nice. The yeast smells like cotton candy and bubblegum. I don't really like this yeast. I also get banana.

T: Strong clove-like phenols and banana with evident cinnamon. The chilis really don't go well with this Belgian yeast. It creates a medicinal harshness that makes me want to grab mouthwash. The chili is at odds with the clove-like phenols and bubblegum banana esters. Not a pleasant combination. The finish is the worst, and it really lingers.

M: Medium body with upper moderate carbonation.

Overall: One of the worst Stone beers I've had.

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a slightly hazy amber with a one finger khaki head that has good retention and leaves some spotty lace.

S-Banana hits me first, followed by hints of the chilis, earthy/yeast notes are there as well, a touch of toffee and cinnamon.

T-Banana leads here too with a noticeable malt back, the chilis come in the middle providing a taste of the chiles without the heat that stays through the finish. Hints of cinnamon and booze round this out.

M-On the lighter side of medium body, crisp carbonation, dry finish.

O-Right now, this is a good beer, not a great one. Once 12.12.12 rolls around I'll revisit this and perhaps it will evolve into something more memorable.

Poured from a bottle into a Stone 15th anniversary glass. The distributor for San Francisco took a while to get this one and I'm glad that they were finally able to get it.

Colors is dark dark amber that is very clear and much more red when held up to light. The head is small and coarse.

I've been excited for this beer because I grew up in New Mexico and am fond of the green chiles that they used in this beer. You can smell definitely smell them in the beer and it mixes interesting with the apricot and clove smells of the belgian part of the beer. I smell only a bit of cinnamon.

Up front you get the taste of the chile with the cinnamon coming up right after. I'm glad the flavor of the cinnamon isn't more overpowering than the chile and it's more of a subtle flavor. There is a lasting bite from the chiles that is much more pleasant (I think) than other chile beers like the Rogue one.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation and medium bodied.

Straight 4's across the board. I thought this would wind up being a "good idea, decent beer, but not great" kind of thing, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. Gonna have to get a couple more bottles to hold on to.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.