Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

(Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
ObeMaltKinobee

11-15-2011 09:07:25 | More by ObeMaltKinobee
flannelman808

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Bright ruby copper colored beer and very clear. egg shell white/ light tan head with ok retention.

S: Dark fruit, very ripe raspberry, and a Jalepeno/ Poblano pepper suggestion.

T: Bing cherry comes to mind, then comes mild green chili pepper as well as a mild macerated dark fruit medley. Slightly tart fruit and slightly sweet molasses (albeit faintly flavored) merge. The finish is similar to the start, cherry and a slight hint of anaheim chili.

M: Prickly with a medium long finish.

O: Im enjoying this more as I sip on it and find it's subtleties rewarding. Very unlike stone to produce a beer with so much elegance (even with the chili peppers), perhaps their evolving. Anyway this is a good buy at a better value. -I don't see how this could age for any length of time but I think its worth experimenting.

11-15-2011 09:06:33 | More by flannelman808
yeahhhhhhrvca

11-15-2011 07:17:51 | More by yeahhhhhhrvca
Abrengle

11-15-2011 06:32:47 | More by Abrengle
grittybrews

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured a dark ruby amber with excellent clarity and a finger of off-white head. Strong aroma of banana, clove, a hint of cinnamon, and a good dose of Hatch chiles.

Moderate carbonation and a smooth, somewhat light mouthfeel. Flavors of banana, caramel, and clove up front with a trace of cinnamon and a hint of chiles on the tail end. Just a touch of alcohol warmth that becomes more apparent as the beer warms.

I was excited by the aroma but the flavors don't seem to meld. The Belgian components are fairly standard and the chile/cinnamon is interesting but never really integrates. I'm a fan of beers with pepper but this one didn't blow my mind by any means. Worth trying, though.

11-15-2011 05:31:41 | More by grittybrews
ikantspel

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

served into a duvel tulip

pours a deep mahogany with a subtle head. not too much lacing going on

smells kinda fruity with some yeast in there. a tad peppery is the only hint of chile you get

first it kinda hits with a malty flavor. you can get some cinnamon in the middle but nothing way too overpowering. finishes pretty bitter. pretty much a cycle of sweet, spice, bitter.

somehow this works. after a few more sips the chile comes out more. dont know if i would get it again seems like a novelty beer

11-15-2011 04:52:41 | More by ikantspel
Rhynes2

4.55/5  rDev +21%

I bought this brew today and it was the first beer I have ever had brewed with chilis. I was skeptical at first. On the nose its very wine like me and my buddy said it was almost like a Cabernet Sauvignon with some spice. The taste is caramel malts at first and it quickly fades to the chills. they are strong but well balanced. I'm so impressed with this brew and will be buying it again soon. Stone never lets me down

11-15-2011 03:16:24 | More by Rhynes2
mithrascruor

4.25/5  rDev +13%

22 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a clear, darker amber color, but is ruby through the light. Minimal filmy off-white head and very little visible carbonation.

Smell: Good malt aroma with some fruit-like sweetness, and a hint of yeast. I think I can get a slight whiff of the peppers.

Taste: Pleasant malt flavor (carramel) up front, which gradually gives way to some cinnamon and mild yeast flavors towards the finish. There's a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste. It takes a few sips for the chilies to register, but they add a nice, additional dimension to the taste, and gives it a mildly spicy aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and quite smooth; very mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Strong ABV but little to no alcohol present in the taste.

I quite enjoyed this one - the yeast was quite mild, and the chilies were a nice touch.

11-15-2011 02:46:03 | More by mithrascruor
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into 20 oz Duvel tulip glass. Pours a wonderful ruby red, with a 3 inch off white head, not much lacing. Different color than I would have expected. Smell in banana, clove, coriander, a little spice from the peppers, and some carmel. Not a huge Belgian fan, but this is really nice. Taste has much more spice, than the smell would lead on. I feel like the nose and taste really match, except the burst of spice in the finish. Makes it seem a little hoppy. I like hot foods, so it doesn't bother me. The booze hides well. Body is on the larger side, but not giant. Good amount of life and approachable for it's abv. This is very interesting, so much tastier than 10/10/10, but just as unique. I expected very little because it isn't my favorite style, it delivered.

11-15-2011 02:16:56 | More by SawDog505
DeanMoriarty

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

A: Pours a fairly clean dark amber, slightly cherry hue with a good fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly leaving good amounts of lacing.

S: Sweet bready yeast, banana esters and grainy malt - very Belgian smelling, cinnamon sticks, light hop and just a hint of chile and booze.

T: Ah there's the chile - though detectable in the nose, I was hoping for more of a showcase in the flavor and I was not let down. Sweet toasted malt, the banana is there too, midway the booze is detectable but not at all offensive, then the chile lays on thick, balanced perfectly with a more earthy than spicy cinnamon (not at all what I expected when I read this one had cinnamon added) - very subtle and earthy and really compliments the chile well. These guys know what they're doing!

M: On the bigger side of medium-bodied, the carbonation is light and lends perfectly to the style and creaminess of this brew. Someone complained about an oily quality in the mouthfeel, and I agree on the lingering oiliness - which is from the chile, but I really like this aspect. Stone often accomplishes this with oiliness from the hop, but here they've achieved this quality with oil from the chiles added - super bomb!

Overall far from a session beer, but I don't think that was Stone's intention by any means, but as a quality sipper to enjoy from time to time, this one is up there with some of the best.

11-15-2011 02:13:56 | More by DeanMoriarty
seeswo

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

11-15-2011 01:38:00 | More by seeswo
Beefytits4

11-15-2011 01:08:00 | More by Beefytits4
KickInTheChalice

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Served on tap at Fish Bar in a mason jar.

Appearance: The beer has a medium brown color with amber and ruby edges. Quite a large eggshell head sits on top when the beer comes out. I suspect this may have been an overly aggressive pour. The head retains fairly well and leaves a bit of lace down the glass.

Smell: The aroma is kind of strange. I notice cinnamon first, with toasted bread, banana esters, and a fair amount of booze. From the aroma I don't even get a hint of chiles.

Taste: The flavor starts with slightly sweet toasted grains tinged with a bit of caramel. Then it starts to go a bit crazy. Cinnamon is really the dominating flavor here, but it somehow does not mix with the other spices. Cloves and banana notes clash with the malt and cinnamon flavors, and I only get a light sense of the chiles at the end, after the beer has turned into a medicinal ethyl alcohol bomb. I wonder if some time (like a year, a month, and a day?) would heal the distracted flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is the real victim of the brewing process. After seemingly half a sip, my tongue feels covered in some immutable oily coating that is fairly unpleasant. Like most other Stone beers, it is properly carbonated and has a heftiness to the body, which I appreciate. Just a very soft burn in the back of my throat from the chile.

Overall: This is the second beer from Stone I have had recently that has stunned me with how bad it is. I will continue to try everything they make, but I won't be coming back to this beer anytime soon. Overall this is just too much of a disjointed mess.

11-14-2011 23:54:20 | More by KickInTheChalice
MikeytotheB

11-14-2011 23:21:38 | More by MikeytotheB
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

22oz into Deschutes pint glass.

A- Nice orangey amber on the pour, a sandy tan, almost eggnog head builds and leaves some rather nice lacing on the glass. Foam is dense.

S- The yeast in this one is crazy. Lots of bubblegum, bananas, and all around spicy yeast goodness. You get a nice whiff of the cinnamon and the faintest hint of the peppers.

T- Eh, Wow. I taste the banana-y yeast, it jumps out from the start. The cinnamon is muted, and the chiles provide a mild green note. Alcohol is very present... Spices intermingle, but not really to the benefit of anything. The spicy and the sweet flavors do not mesh, my tongue is confused.

M- What is that? I don't think it's the chile. Cinnamon? Something's leaving a weird feeling in my mouth. OK, the chile shows up in the end too, with a bit of heat. It's got to be the alcohol? I think this one's a bit too boozy for its own good.

O- Did not finish- not even my first glass. Really unappealing flavors. Sorry, Greg, I thought I was going to seriously groove on this one, but it's a head-scratcher.

11-14-2011 23:13:20 | More by ShogoKawada

Indiana

11-14-2011 17:35:44 | More by khumbard
barleywinefiend

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured an amber color color with good carbonation and a nice white cap

S: Chili upfront with candy, cinnamon and allspice following

T: Cinnamon, allspice, Belgian yeast, a hint at candy, a little booze sting. The chile is light and only appears at the end

M: Medium body, well carbonated

yesferro

Mississippi

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap on 11.12.11 at Flying Saucer in Cordova TN

Poured with barely any head, might have been the way the taps were set up, other then the nitro brews I didn't see any beers with a head on them leaving the bar. Dark red/brown in color.
Smells spicy sweet, not overwhelming but very good.
First sip was awesome, banana and peppers, with a nice burn at the end. I really didn't get any hints of cinnamon at all but the pepper came through nicely. Sadly, I took my time with this brew and about halfway through the glass it became a drag, as it warms up, it loses the heat and becomes too yeasty sweet for me.

We hope to find a bottle of this to age, the store we stopped at was already sold out, I think this beer will age nicely, it's already nicely balanced but I'd love to see what happens when the peppers mellow out.

11-13-2011 18:18:58 | More by yesferro
Eriktheipaman

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured a brownish Belgian cooler.

The smell was the worst part of the beer. ALL I could pick up was a kind of green bell pepper smell which was a little off putting.

The taste was a little better. I didn't pick up any cinnamon but a good amount of pepper (no heat just flavor), slight spice, and some banana from the yeast.

This beer paired pretty damn well with the eggplant and potato pizzas I had with it so I will give it credit for having amazing pairing potential. But on it's own it didn't hit the spot for me. Maybe a year or two on it so the flavors can blend but I'm not sure I'll give it a second chance.

11-13-2011 18:14:12 | More by Eriktheipaman
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.