2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

(Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,401 | Reviews: 462 | Show All Ratings:
DeanMoriarty

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

A: Pours a fairly clean dark amber, slightly cherry hue with a good fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly leaving good amounts of lacing.

S: Sweet bready yeast, banana esters and grainy malt - very Belgian smelling, cinnamon sticks, light hop and just a hint of chile and booze.

T: Ah there's the chile - though detectable in the nose, I was hoping for more of a showcase in the flavor and I was not let down. Sweet toasted malt, the banana is there too, midway the booze is detectable but not at all offensive, then the chile lays on thick, balanced perfectly with a more earthy than spicy cinnamon (not at all what I expected when I read this one had cinnamon added) - very subtle and earthy and really compliments the chile well. These guys know what they're doing!

M: On the bigger side of medium-bodied, the carbonation is light and lends perfectly to the style and creaminess of this brew. Someone complained about an oily quality in the mouthfeel, and I agree on the lingering oiliness - which is from the chile, but I really like this aspect. Stone often accomplishes this with oiliness from the hop, but here they've achieved this quality with oil from the chiles added - super bomb!

Overall far from a session beer, but I don't think that was Stone's intention by any means, but as a quality sipper to enjoy from time to time, this one is up there with some of the best.

11-15-2011 02:13:56 | More by DeanMoriarty
KickInTheChalice

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Served on tap at Fish Bar in a mason jar.

Appearance: The beer has a medium brown color with amber and ruby edges. Quite a large eggshell head sits on top when the beer comes out. I suspect this may have been an overly aggressive pour. The head retains fairly well and leaves a bit of lace down the glass.

Smell: The aroma is kind of strange. I notice cinnamon first, with toasted bread, banana esters, and a fair amount of booze. From the aroma I don't even get a hint of chiles.

Taste: The flavor starts with slightly sweet toasted grains tinged with a bit of caramel. Then it starts to go a bit crazy. Cinnamon is really the dominating flavor here, but it somehow does not mix with the other spices. Cloves and banana notes clash with the malt and cinnamon flavors, and I only get a light sense of the chiles at the end, after the beer has turned into a medicinal ethyl alcohol bomb. I wonder if some time (like a year, a month, and a day?) would heal the distracted flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is the real victim of the brewing process. After seemingly half a sip, my tongue feels covered in some immutable oily coating that is fairly unpleasant. Like most other Stone beers, it is properly carbonated and has a heftiness to the body, which I appreciate. Just a very soft burn in the back of my throat from the chile.

Overall: This is the second beer from Stone I have had recently that has stunned me with how bad it is. I will continue to try everything they make, but I won't be coming back to this beer anytime soon. Overall this is just too much of a disjointed mess.

11-14-2011 23:54:20 | More by KickInTheChalice
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

22oz into Deschutes pint glass.

A- Nice orangey amber on the pour, a sandy tan, almost eggnog head builds and leaves some rather nice lacing on the glass. Foam is dense.

S- The yeast in this one is crazy. Lots of bubblegum, bananas, and all around spicy yeast goodness. You get a nice whiff of the cinnamon and the faintest hint of the peppers.

T- Eh, Wow. I taste the banana-y yeast, it jumps out from the start. The cinnamon is muted, and the chiles provide a mild green note. Alcohol is very present... Spices intermingle, but not really to the benefit of anything. The spicy and the sweet flavors do not mesh, my tongue is confused.

M- What is that? I don't think it's the chile. Cinnamon? Something's leaving a weird feeling in my mouth. OK, the chile shows up in the end too, with a bit of heat. It's got to be the alcohol? I think this one's a bit too boozy for its own good.

O- Did not finish- not even my first glass. Really unappealing flavors. Sorry, Greg, I thought I was going to seriously groove on this one, but it's a head-scratcher.

11-14-2011 23:13:20 | More by ShogoKawada
barleywinefiend

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured an amber color color with good carbonation and a nice white cap

S: Chili upfront with candy, cinnamon and allspice following

T: Cinnamon, allspice, Belgian yeast, a hint at candy, a little booze sting. The chile is light and only appears at the end

M: Medium body, well carbonated

O: Good for the style

11-14-2011 14:16:15 | More by barleywinefiend
yesferro

Mississippi

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap on 11.12.11 at Flying Saucer in Cordova TN

Poured with barely any head, might have been the way the taps were set up, other then the nitro brews I didn't see any beers with a head on them leaving the bar. Dark red/brown in color.
Smells spicy sweet, not overwhelming but very good.
First sip was awesome, banana and peppers, with a nice burn at the end. I really didn't get any hints of cinnamon at all but the pepper came through nicely. Sadly, I took my time with this brew and about halfway through the glass it became a drag, as it warms up, it loses the heat and becomes too yeasty sweet for me.

We hope to find a bottle of this to age, the store we stopped at was already sold out, I think this beer will age nicely, it's already nicely balanced but I'd love to see what happens when the peppers mellow out.

11-13-2011 18:18:58 | More by yesferro
Eriktheipaman

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured a brownish Belgian cooler.

The smell was the worst part of the beer. ALL I could pick up was a kind of green bell pepper smell which was a little off putting.

The taste was a little better. I didn't pick up any cinnamon but a good amount of pepper (no heat just flavor), slight spice, and some banana from the yeast.

This beer paired pretty damn well with the eggplant and potato pizzas I had with it so I will give it credit for having amazing pairing potential. But on it's own it didn't hit the spot for me. Maybe a year or two on it so the flavors can blend but I'm not sure I'll give it a second chance.

11-13-2011 18:14:12 | More by Eriktheipaman
cbutova

3.99/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Red ale poured into a pint glass. Small foamy white head forms but doesn't have great retention. Fine ring stays alive and some spots of lace form on the glass.

S- Unique aroma with a smoky, spicy, earthy cinnamon and hot pepper feel. Definitely a bit of caramelized sugar. Some Belgian spice and dark fruit.

T- Belgian yeast becomes way too strong here and gives off a medicinal dark fruit and spice feel. The peppers and cinnamon are very nice, earthy and flavorful.

MF- Creamy moderately thick body with nice smooth carbonation. Not all that spicy and somewhat warm and bitter.

Hard to drink a ton of this due to the extreme strong flavors. The Belgian yeast really hurts this one because the peppers are fresh and nicely done. Will re-review in another 1yr1mo1day.

UPDATE: 02/02/2013.

T- Chili pepper stands out nicely still, really like fresh cut vegetables. Herbal, spicy, dark fruit, cinnamon and some clove banana.

Scored: 3.75, 4, 4, 4, 4

11-13-2011 05:44:25 | More by cbutova
Halcyondays

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

22 oz. bottle, the last Vertical Epic release before the big day, the last one to have any aging on it,

A: Pours a deep amber to red with a full off-white head, with good retention and lace.

S: Clear chile nose, reminds me of fajitas.

T: Nice malt flavour, noticable cinnamon, but the chiles come in early and take over. They work well with the base beer and allow some fruitiness to come in at the finish.

M: Full-bodied, creamy, nice long aftertaste with a bit of heat. Not the hottest beer I've had for sure, capsaicin-wise.

O: Another quality Vertical Epic, I will certainly be interested in seeing how much heat is left when I open this exactly 13 months to the day today.

December 2012 Edit - Still has a lot of chiles in the nose. Much more subtle overall in it's flavour. Very soft and delicate. A nice drink, but I believe it was better fresh.

11-13-2011 05:30:58 | More by Halcyondays
match1112

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

pours a clear reddish brown with a four finger head that leaves ring after ring of big clumpy lacing in it's wake. nose is made up of cinnamon, chilies, yeast, some banannas, bread and malts. taste is pretty much the same as the nose. this beer has a lot going on. mouthfeel is that of a full bodied beer with a creamy texture and great carbonation. overall this is very busy and i'm more a fan of the k.i.s.s. method. worth the try and will probably throw one in the cellar to try again down the road.

11-13-2011 02:47:58 | More by match1112
ocelot2500

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a maple syrup color with a tight, off-white head that leaves a ring of lacing.

Smells of roasted chiles, banana, and yeast spice.

Tastes of Belgian fruit notes and spice with the chiles running throughout. Banana with some sweetness comes through first along with a bit of apple. Chiles come in next and add a bit of meatiness and nice roasted notes. Spice comes on the end with clove and cinnamon notes combining with a small amount of heat from the chiles. As it warms, a bit of a phenolic character comes through.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I really like this beer, and feel that the base beer would most likely be good on its own, but the chiles make it even better. However, I should qualify this with the fact that I like to add roasted green chiles to almost everything I cook, so it may only appeal to those like me.

11-13-2011 02:46:41 | More by ocelot2500
perrymarcus

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bottle served in a snifter.
drinking on 11.12.11... so close.

pours a coppery, deep amber tone with ruby highlights while yielding a relatively short lived finger and a half beige head. the head leaves a little to be desired but still a beautiful looking beer.

nice, aromatic nose offers clear notes of cinnamon and chiles along with a strong belgian yeast presence. secondary notes of banana and clove.

flavor is interesting. my first impulse is that i don't think it's for me, but after a few sips i seem to warm up to it more. more or less follows the aroma: chilies, cinnamon, banana, Belgian yeast... definitely a lot going on. a bit medicinal. medium-bodied on the palate with average carbonation.

overall i think it's a unique and relatively tasty beer. not out-of-this-world delicious but a nice change of pace.

11-13-2011 02:40:58 | More by perrymarcus

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

Picked up a couple of these; one to share on 11-11-11 and one to taste and review in more detail.

Color is a dark, reddish-brown, clear in the glass. The tan head of 1 finger has a fair amount of retention. Lacing is good.

Very interesting nose, with lots of spices - cinnamon especially. There is a light chili pepper aroma, as well as a sweetness of light fruits. Did not really pick up any hop aroma.

Taste features chili heat and flavors, but is not overpowering. Malty and spicy, with red and black pepper and cinnamon. Nicely balanced, I wouldn't have guessed this has 65 IBUs. I didn't really pick up much in the way of Belgian yeast flavors. Beer tastes more flavorful as it approaches room temperature.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a medium carbonation level. I get a good warming from the alcohol. The finish is dry with more of the chilies in the aftertaste.

A different and intriguing beer. I'd drink it again, but if I bought one I'd probably want to wait and try it after a year of cellaring.

11-13-2011 00:54:18 | More by sommersb
ezperkins2

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Stone – 11.11.11
Poured into a 12oz tulip on 11.11.11

A: Poured a surprisingly clear deep reddish copper with good carbonation. Thin off white foamy head with noticeable carbonation.

S: Not a lot going on with the nose on this one. Everything seemed very thin and I had to search for anything other than light raisins and a bit of alcohol

T: This was a very interesting and complex tasting beer. It started with a very raisony sweetness and then quickly transformed into a white wine dry almost tart taste. After a few seconds the slightest hint of the peppers appear (the taste but not the heat) and then is quickly surprised by an almost powdery dry cinnamon tingle. With a sharp and dry after taste reminiscent of white wine seems to last forever.

M: The lively carbonation helps give this beer a nice mouth feel but with a very dry finish.

O: I had to pick this one up and drink it tonight since it was 11.11.11 and I had so so expectations. Overall I think it was a very interesting creation and I am glad I got a bottle to try. The finish was a complex roller coaster but the dry tartness got old after a while. All in all it was an OK beer but nothing that I am going to stock up on. I think that the base beer for this concoction could improve with age but I am not sure what that would do the touch on spice on the finish. I may have to pick up another bottle or two just to find out.

11-12-2011 08:15:15 | More by ezperkins2
DarthKostrizer

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

Look: Pours a medium brown color with traces of red throughout. 1 inch tan head with good retention. Leaves behind a spot or two of lace

Smell: The nose carries a fair amount of cinnamon and banana which reminds me of a banana flavored laffy taffy and definitely some belgian yeast

Taste: The flavor is not very good at all. It's a combination of flavors that honeslty do not go together at all. The cinnamon is too sweet for the chili's and the banana just feels out of place and artificial. As the beer warms it becomes chalky. Not good

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium to high carbonation and a bit of a sting from the chilis

Overall: The flavor of this beer is a train wreck and ruins the beer.

11-12-2011 06:41:24 | More by DarthKostrizer
suncrust

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bomber poured to a tulip glass, sipped on 11.11.11.

A- Ruby strawberry and dark brown in color. Very light, toasted marshmallow head with medium carbonation.

S- Dominant belgian yeast with cinnamon buried beneath the bread-like belgian tones. Dried banana, and a slight sourness at first, some raisin and darker fruits.

T- Tasty dark belgian notes, with hints of dark fruits and dark breads. Rye and a slight spice on the tongue, maybe a little clove. Cinnamon is there just enough to balance the sweetness of the dark fruit characteristics. Almost has a light cinnamon toast sort of taste and texture as it gets warmer. Chilies are modestly blended back, but can be felt in the throat on the aftertaste, adding flavor and interesting drinkability. Very minimal heat, but a really nice balance to the other flavors overall.

MF- I get a spicy (cinnamon) bubblegum sort of mouthfeel and sweetness. Coats the mouth nicely with some activity on the tongue. At times, reminds me of a really sour piece of sourdough toast….

O- Enjoyable, with engaging complexities and an interesting flavor profile. Really just more of an intriguing beer that offers a lot to the palate with each sip and as the temperature changes. Stone did a nice job of balancing the ingredients to make this compelling.

11-12-2011 05:16:48 | More by suncrust
FosterJM

3.35/5  rDev -10.9%

942nd Review on BA
Bottle to Stone Pint
22oz

Purchased 11/10 and consumed 11/11/11

App- A bit of a caramel brown with some amber and reds. A mid 1 finger head to a a small bit of bubbles on the top of the beer. A small bit of cling but not much.

Smell- So this is labeled as a Chili beer but the aromatics are clearly of the Belgian origin. More yeast with a small bit of banana and clove. The chili just seems lost.

Taste- It's a tasty beer. This has a good pocket of flavor but I feel they should've stuck with the base beer. I get some nice flavors but clearly the chili is a secondary flavor. I really don't get the cinnamon on this one. More of a Belgian Pale but just different color.

Mouth- This was a medium body with a medium carbonation level. The redsidual flavors are of a Belgian beer but just a tad bit of chili.

Drink- The series is coming to a close and I feel that Stone is pushing the boundaries now. This was flavorful and subdued. I liked the base flavors and the layering. Needed more of the yeast and base flavors.

11-12-2011 03:00:56 | More by FosterJM
phichifiji00

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: dark brown with golden hues. Pours about a finger of off-white head that quickly fades. Minimal lacing.

Smell: malty, cinnamon, hint of chile, estery, cloves.

Taste: cinnamon up front but not overpowering. Malty/sweet in the middle. A hint of chile comes through towards the finish along with banana and cloves. Candi sugar is also present. The chile presence definitely increases as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, a hint of heat from the chile and the subtlest bit of astringency.

Overall: the mildest chile beer I've ever had. The cinnamon and chile are very subdued. The banana and clove from the Belgian yeast are much more prevalent. Drinkability is pretty high and the nearly 10% ABV is well hidden.

11-12-2011 01:04:36 | More by phichifiji00
WestValleyIPA

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Stone IRS tulip. Dark amberish/red color. Thought this was meant to be a Belgian Strong Pale. I guess I am mistaken. A half finger of off-white head dissipates into a nice milky way looking film. Sweet Belgian smells abound. Spicy Belgian yeast. Sweet candied sugar. I can pick out the cinnamon, knowing that it's in the brew, but don't know if I could otherwise. There's a faint Hatch chile scent in the background (having grown up 30 miles from Hatch, New Mexico represent!). On the palate, you get all the normal Belgian Dubbel goodies. Dried dark fruit, raisins, Belgian spice, sweetness. Then there's something else. There's a reaaally faint Hatch green that leads into a hop bitterness on the finish. Pretty damn creamy. The alcohol is hidden really well. I don't know what to think of this beer, but it certainly is interesting.

11-11-2011 06:22:45 | More by WestValleyIPA
DovaliHops

Pours an almost-clear, somewhat dark amber color with a small off-white head that diminishes quickly. Scent is immediately strong cinnamon stick aroma with a bit of clove. As the beer warms, the chili makes itself noticeable, as well as caramel malt and hints of banana. Taste is not really what I was expecting...spicy cinnamon with Belgian yeast characteristics. Clove, banana, dark fruits... more cinnamon (this time on the sweeter side). Finishes quite malty with a bit of booze and chili heat. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this beer is a unique beer. The way the cinnamon and chilies compliment eachother is outstanding...would like a bit more chili though.

11-11-2011 06:00:53 | More by DovaliHops
IKR

Appearance: Dark amber color with burgundy overtones. Poured with a fair sized light beige head that dissipated quickly. Good looking beer.

Smell: Chiles and some fruity notes from the yeast. The cinnamon is also present in the nose.

Taste: The Chiles, fruity notes and cinnamon in the nose come through in the taste. Finishes fairly dry with some hops in the end.

Mouth-feel: Light medium body with a fair level of carbonation.

Overall: Good, unique beer whose taste pleasantly surprised me. I wasn't sure how it would be when I first heard about the ingredients.

*My review was based on this being a Chile beer not a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. My score for taste would be different.

11-11-2011 05:25:24 | More by IKR
harrymel

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

A: cherry red with a finger of transient yellow foam. Spotty lace.Excellent clarity.
S: cloves, bananas, chillies, cinnamon, just enough chili to make me interested.
T: tastes like a Belgian tripel with cinnamon and chili essence. Wrong yeast for this beer.
M: medium bodied with Smooth velvet carb.
O: meh. Cool idea. Want less yeast, more chili.

11-11-2011 05:17:49 | More by harrymel
silentjay

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

waited until 11/11/11 to open this one that I've had in my fridge for 3 days. I waited until the clock turned from 11:59pm on the 10th to 12:00am on the 11th.

pretty clear mahogany amber color with a nicely sized light tan head that billows to the top of my duvel tulip and laces well as it slowly recedes.

belgian amber aromas with fruity esters, toasted malts, a bit of the clove and banana scents typical to a belgian yeast. behind that, my nose hairs tickle from the chiles, but they do not overpower.

starts yeasty, gets sweetened up by the malt, some cinnamon creeps in and some fruits. after the swallow the chiles linger without burning.

pleasant soft carbonation that lets the flavors pop without being too harsh.

skeptical at first, but this actually works. not sure how it will age. It will be interesting to see. drinks pretty damn well now.

11-11-2011 05:12:09 | More by silentjay
kevanb

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

It pours a nice dark amber color, more like burgundy as there are lots of brown hues in this beer. It has a nice finger of off white head that’s somewhat foamy but more softer and more cloudlike than soapy. It smells really great, strong roasted peppers with a nice blend of both cinnamon and some darker fruits like cherries or plums that are more tart than sweet as the sweetness definitely comes from the cinnamon. The Anaheim pepper flavors smack your mouth before the beer even gets to your tongue, definitely enjoyed breathing the flavor in. The peppers are definitely the dominant flavor but the cinnamon is done really well, it’s subtle and compliments the peppers but more importantly it adds another layer of depth as it brings forward some sweeter flavors that remind me of spiced banana bread. The most impressive aspect of the beer is how long the roasted pepper flavor lingers on your tongue, it’s a really nice smokey and spicy element that I found highly enjoyable. The body is really great, nice and big without being too full and chewy.

Verdict: This is a really impressive beer. Most chili pepper beers or spicy beers I’ve tried like the Rogue Chipotle Ale are very one dimensional and more of a gimmick beer. This is a really well crafted Belgian style that utilizes some bold and unique flavors, a Stone hallmark.

11-11-2011 03:19:09 | More by kevanb
Overlord

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

Fresh off a nice Steel Reserve 211 (I hear some folks score it as high as a 3.7!!!) I was curious to give this puppy a whirl. As always, I keep an open mind for the novel and new in the beer world.

Pours a burnished brown with some burnt orange highlights when held to a light. Long lasting off-white crust and some bubbling.

Smells like medicinal toasted herbal banana cloves, with more medicinal notes, alcohol solvent, more medicinal notes, and please Yog Sothoth ... please don't let that be roasted chili pepper laced with cinnamon. Oh, great Cthulhu, no. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The smell had promise (at least, the promise of a solid base), but the flavor of this beer is ruined by an epic spice/adjunct overload that vertically sodomizes my tastebuds. The clove/banana/medicine has a lot of promise, but does not mesh well with other flavors. The solvent-y alcohol-y ness of this beer is surprising given it is only 9.6 abv. The chiles are unnecessary and distracting, and do not mesh with the belgian semi-sweet base. The yeast is swallowed up by competing and distracting flavors. It's like cats drenched in various spices are fighting for supremacy in my mouth, and no matter who wins, I lose.

It's a shame what they did to a beer that obviously started with promise. I mean ... this is one of the more solid Belgian bases that Stone has come up with in recent years, and the unnecessary detritus they heaped into it has really detracted from the overall appeal.

Mouthfeel does little enliven this brew.

11-10-2011 06:34:59 | More by Overlord
Vanpoozler

Arizona

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Pours rusty amber, pretty appealing, and surprising considering this is a Belgian base.

S - The chili hits me first, then the Belgian sweetness, then a faint trace of the cinnamon. Overall the mingle together into something that quite remarkable, in my opinion. As I continue to drink the bomber, more banana becomes prevalent.

T - Tastes like a very solid Belgian brew. The chili and cinnamon are faint, but still detectable. Maybe this is something that will change with age. The sweetness is not over the top like with some Belgian brews. There's more banana taste as the beer warms. I'm looking forward to having this again next year.

M - Carbonation is just right, doesn't overwhelm but is still very intriguing.

O - This is a pretty outstanding brew right now, and I can only see it getting better. I like it significantly more than when I first tried the 10.10.10. I know that might seem like an odd comparison but it's the only other Vertical Epic I've had. I'd definitely recommend picking up at least two.

11-10-2011 04:26:16 | More by Vanpoozler
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.