Follow our progress ...

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

Reviews: 481 | Ratings: 1,520
3.07/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured out a color that I usually don't associate with a pale ale of any nationality: auburn and brown? A little cloudy looking for a pale ale too. Nice offwhite head on the top, about 3/4" deep. Aroma had me going into the belgian wit place. We're already two qualities in, and neither one makes me think belgian pale ale. Coriander and cardamom have no place in any pale ale.

Taste has some spice flavors, toffee, caramel, cinnamon and a little booze with a hint of citrus throughout. I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but it was seemingly a tad complex. And I've had worse vertical epics to be sure. Couldn't really pick up any chile pepper addition.
Clove keeps coming out more and more as it warmed. Complex stuff, but not really up my alley.

Thanks to Sebastian for bringing this one to the March Madness bottle share. Unfortunately David Hurley, beverage peon at the El Dorado Casino decided to renege on the word of the El Dorado and shut down our bottle share a day early, because it offended his BMC reps that we were having a good time not drinking the $40 to drink all day Bud Light deal. Screw that guy and establishment that supposedly supports craft beer. But thanks to Sebastian for bringing this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - A darker shade of auburn, with notable carbonation. The initial fluff of head from the pour quickly is reduced to just a thin sliver barely covering the beer below. Lots of carbonation though.

Smell - The aromas springing forth from this are amazing. What comes to mind immediately is fresh pear, apple cinnamon, buttery rolls, maple syrup, and a hint of fresh chili pepper spice. My expectations for the flavor have just been kicked up a notch. As the beer warms up, I'm picking up much more of the chili peppers, as if there literally is hot sauce contained within.

Taste - Before I go any further I have to state that this is actually my first chili beer, and it's proving to be a very interesting and fun experience. I'm glad this one has rested for a year or so. That Belgian yeast and dark fruit flavor comes and goes in a flash, and then one might as well think that the drink is a Bloody Mary. The pear and cinnamon flavor lingers as the icing on the cake.

Mouthfeel - This is a relatively medium bodied beer despite the ABV. It's not very apparent how strong the alcohol content really is. The finish is kind of faint, and eventually I realize its rather dry as well.

Overall - Again, this is one of the most interesting beers I have had... as for a recommendation, I would say if you're not a fan of Bloody Marys, do not buy. Somehow Stone pulls off this Belgian Bloody Mary hybrid though... I like it, and I'm glad I still have another bottle!

3.89/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a Duvel tulip, it’s a very cloudy pinkish amber colored (cinnamon red???) when held up to light, with a nice 2 finger creamy light tan head that was full of tiny bubbles and faded on the slow side, leaving minimum spotty lacing.

Smells of cinnamon, spices, biscuit, light caramel, chili pepper, yeast, malt, herbs, syrup, lemon zest, pepper and wheat bread or grains; the cinnamon and spices dominate the nose, with some sweetness and a mix that makes that spices hard to distinguish. Almost seems like mint and cayenne pepper linger mixed with fruit after things star to fade. This is definitely a very interesting and unique nose.

Tastes like it smells, but with a lot more noticeable flavors like cinnamon, spices, chili pepper, biscuit, caramel, funky yeast, malt, herbs like tea leaf, syrup, coriander, lemon, pepper, wheat bread, red grapes, tart apple, pear, chalk and an odd combo of celery and Dr. Pepper soda; like the aroma, the cinnamon and spices dominate the flavor, with spicy sweetness mix with minor heat and alcohol that poke through with little jabs that add nice kicks of flavor. The ABV is pretty well hidden since the cinnamon masks it well and almost makes the liquid feel dry and powdery. This well aged version is much easier to take down.

Mouthfeel is smooth and dry like Pepto-Bismol, with very mild and almost watery carbonation, a medium body, and a bready cardboard finish that is full of spices, cinnamon seems to coat your tongue with chalk. It’s strange and yet kind of cool to feel this liquid and how it fades.

Overall it was very good, complex and dynamic, and a definite “experience’ beer that was one of a kind. I really appreciate the design of this beer and how it was meant to mellow and age as it approached the 12.12.12 date. This beer was not made for conservative beer drinkers, and lacked any real hop presence, which is normally the hallmark of a Stone beer; way to deviate from the norm Stone. This is the fourth time I tried this beer and it has gotten better with age. The first time I had it in December of 2011 it was just all heat and cinnamon and my brothers and I had to struggle to get through the bomber; it was a hot mess, literally. Had it a few months later and it was tolerable. Shared another bottle mid-summer of 2012 and it impressed the hell out of me; each sip was complex, different and full of flavor, with just enough spice and heat to make it really enjoyable on a clear summer night. The cinnamon faded and worked more as an accent with the chilies. There was some heat, but it was a good heat and really blended well with the malt and yeast. Tonight’s farewell bottle was quite enjoyable and I’m glad I was able to indulge in this brew on more than one occasion.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Was surprised to see I hadn't reviewed this previously. In any event, I had it on tap at Pacific Coast Brewing during their Vertical Epic event in 2/13.

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is somewhat unusual, as I pick up honey, cinnamon, sandlewood and vanilla. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this fairly sweet beer, with the cinnamon and vanilla seeming to dominate. There's a hint of bitterness and heat from the alcohol in the finish, which helps to counter the sweetness somewhat. The beer is otherwise medium bodied, with a fairly long, spice, heat and bitter infused finish. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overly so.

Definitely an interesting beer at this stage of its life.

4.29/5  rDev +14.7%

Bottle to a snifter. Just had some spicy soup, hoping that will compliment the chilies

Pours a dark brownish red. Half a finger of khaki foam recedes rather quickly with moderate carbonation, moderate lacing. Pretty run of the mill

Smells of chillies, tart cherry and apple, cinnamon, grainy yeast, some clove, brown sugar, and a touch of alcohol. Some real complexity, pretty solid

Taste follows the nose well, strong chili and a mildly tart cherry, some hops, cinnamon, sweet malt, and a tinge of alcohol. Mild clove and brown sugar have a solid after taste, everything comes together really well. The blend of mild spice and sour is interesting, and works pretty well

Feel is solid as well, medium body, mild spice and sour. Alcohol is well hidden for being so high, nice dry finish. Pretty drinkable

This stuff is really good, complimented dinner pretty well. I've got two more, it will be interesting to see where age takes them

2.58/5  rDev -31%

22oz. bottle poured into a taster. Thanks yet again Chris!

(A)- Pours a hazy mahogany color. Some minimal white froth and lacing.

(S)- An up front blast of chili pepper. Subtle bits of biscuit and raisin.

(T)- A brighter amber malt profile with plenty of the chili pepper from the smell.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Some subtle caramel sweetness in the background, but it seems to me that the chili pepper has sort of become the dominate spice in this.

(O)- The chili pepper is prevalent, but is at least somewhat balanced out by the underlying sweetness this still has. Overall, though, I think this might be my least favorite of the whole vertical despite it being one of the freshest. As a whole, it just feels like a mish mash of randomness.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another bottle shared by Chris (spycow). Served in a tulip.

A - White foam settles to a thick collar, wisps, and a few specks of lace. Transparent amber body.

S - Extremely vegetal - you can smell the chiles alright. Hint of cinnamon, and some sweet caramel malt. Not much Belgian character - Stone's yeast strain seems pretty mild in the phenol department.

T - The taste has more brown sugar and caramel malt flavor, with less of the chile and cinnamon I noticed in the aroma. Some unexpected citrus notes, perhaps from the yeast? Odd bitterness in the finish, not sure if it's from the chiles or some residual hops.

M - Smooth texture, medium-full body, well-hidden alcohol. Lower carbonation, and some chile heat the grows over time.

D - I'm not convinced the Belgian yeast and the chiles work quite well together. Might have been more interested fresh, but I'd skip it at this point. A disappointment seeing how much I like chile beers.

3.29/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had this on tap for the VE tasting (beers 07.07.07-12.12.12) at Pacific Coast Brewing Co. during SF Beer Week. All reviews are from my notes.

Pours a reddish-brown melded color, complete with a little ring at the top of the glass. Not dark enough to appear opaque, although it doesn't look to cloudy overall, nor does it have too many bubbles. I definitely can tell the alcohol is present on this one, with the the legs dangling all around and a strong thick consistency as I swirled the glass. Murky, sort of messy, but definitely different.

At the nose, rather than get pelted with chili peppers, there are tons of surprising medicinal notes going on, including a caramelized brown sugar backdrop. There are some peppery notes that linger about, but there's a zest/spice combo going on here that I can't put my finger on. The Flanders yeast definitely trimmed the spices to a sourish edge, but it's not as strong as you may think. Getting herbs such as basil, rosemary, dill, and a hint of clove, all topped with black pepper and slight zest/muted tart. Very strange, kind of intimidating, but interesting.

The best way to describe a beer this crazy is that the first taste immediately reminded me of spiced paprika jalapeño rye bread soaked in huge sugared notes. Now, I actually love that as much as any fan of peppers, but don't think the flavor stops there. The finish immediately melds into a light bouquet of chili peppers, combined with cinnamon burnt notes, and lots of rosemary and clove. The astringency produced by the peppers and cinnamon is not very welcoming, and the other spices do try to balance it out. It doesn't seem to improve as it warms up either, as it gets even more ridiculously astringent and acidic, malty as hell, and then resembling herbal medication such as echinacea.

Surprisingly, to this palate at least, this isn't a complete trainwreck despite all of its counter-productive spices. The more I see it as an herbal beer in the same way that Benedictine is a herbal liqueur, the more I appreciate what it's trying to do. Kind of reminds me of a long dose of propolis with peppers, for better or for worst. Too bad the Belgian yeast or alcohol didn't do too much to balance this out, but for fans of strange herbal beers, this may be up your alley.

4.04/5  rDev +8%

Really like this beer for what it was...haven't tried too many chili beers, but this was just enough that the chili didn't over power the beer.
There was a slight sweetness to the beer to that I thought complimented the spices nicely.
mouthfeel was a fairly nice coating of caramel notes and finish was sticky.

overall a solid beer and i'm glad I had it.

3.48/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle served in a CCB snifter..

A: Pours a solid amber color with a dirty, off-white head forming on the pour.

S: Sort of soapy with some chili and some sweet dark grapes. Mild cracker malts.

T: Chili pepper with some earthy dirt. Dried chili flake heat with some sweet bready malts.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation level and some chili heat on the finish.

O: The chili had subsided. A fascinating beer for sure with sweet malts playing off the mild chili heat. I'm a fan of chili beers so I enjoyed this one more than most.

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This review was written about a bottle that was aged over a year. I aged it because the new bottles were somewhat overwhelming.

Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Super dark orange/ golden brown with little head and no retention or lacing.

The aged smell is more subdued than the new smell. Still bubblegum,cinnamon, and chile but not near as pronounced based on my recollection.

The taste is not the assault on the palate as I remember from a year ago. Chile beer to start with a somewhat hoppy malt middle and a fairly clean aftertaste. Very pleasant and very different. Unlike any other beer I have ever had. I guess you could call it a Belgian strong ale but its unlike any other beer I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is okay. Good carbonation and as usual it smoothes out as it warms.

Overall a good beer and super different. I'm glad I aged it as it did mellow with time. The new version was pretty close to over the top.

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

Aged 14 months

A: Pours very hazy amber, thick 3 finger off-white head.

S: Tons of belgian yeast smells; banana, pepper, cinnamon, ester. To be honest this smell a lot like a home brewed belgian.

T: Chilis and cinnamon up front, a bit of that belgian brown malt taste in the middle, finishes with a pepper/ green chili kick. It almost has a metallic taste as well. Pretty lackluster if you ask me.

M: medium body and medium carbonation

O: I can appreciate 11.11.11 for what it is, a chili beer. It's not bad but I don't need to have it again. There was a good amount of flavors going on but none really shined through which just left me saying 'meh'.

2.46/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a slightly couldy amber to ice tea color with one finger of off-white suds. Slight lacing here.
Smell is malty sugar and yeast. Buttered raisin bread with burbon on top. the 9.4% is way over the top. Not enough ingredients and too much booze. Terrible.
Taste is a boozy mess with some raisin bread alcohol pudding thrown in there for good measure. Gross.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky but mostly clean. The problem is you don't want these flavors in your mouth after the initial taste. Nasty.
Overall I am going to poop on this one just like Stone did to all of us expecting something special out of this Vertical Epic nighmare. Booo on Stone.

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into the Vertical Epic glass.

Pours a medium brown cherry bronze. Totally clear when poured carefully.

Smells like tart dark fruit and brown sugar.

Taste seemigly has no pepper left after a year. It tastes like a mildly spiced dubble with mild alcohol and bread crust.

Mouthfeel is clean and medium bodied.

3.33/5  rDev -11%

A-deep amber color with an off-white head and minimal lacing

T-caramel malt, cinnamon, pepper, coriander, slight yeasty funk, minimal bitterness in the finish. The flavors just don't seem to blend well and not well-balanced.

F-medium body with moderate carbonation

O-awkward flavor profile, not my favorite in this series so far

2.28/5  rDev -39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.75

Just cracked open this beer after aging it for over a year. It was kept in my fridge the whole time. May have been too cold to age, but I left it there more out of disinterest than anything else.

This pours a crystal clear cherry color, a dark red tending towards brown. Spots fo light tan head stick to the glass as you drink. Nose starts with lots of sweet caramel with allspice and some cinnamon. This smells like a spice cake. The sweetness is almost tangible. I get no peppers in the aroma. The flavor starts sweet too, with caramel, sweet bread, and rye. The candied sugar is heavy with this one. The flavors drift darker with some tobacco and very weak whisky. I can't tell what kind of hops are used, but they definitely are not the traditional West Coast varietals that Stone tends to favor. Most likely Saaz or another noble hop, as I get some nectar flavor and aroma. I also get some burnt Anaheim pepper taste, or maybe that's stale pepper heat? This beer finishes with severely burnt toast, and it lingers longer than it's welcome. The feel is slightly more watery than viscous, the finish dry.

I remember liking this on tap a year ago, but the heat is gone and something changed to give a burnt food flavor to it. Definitely not going to try again. I'm confused as to how I should rate it, though. The initial product was good, but aging it made it terrible. Keeping in mind that Stone advocated aging it, I decided not to hold back on the negativity in my rating. After all, this was confused at the get go. Is this a spiced beer, a traditional Belgian, or an American chili beer? Whatever Stone says it is, I say it's not very good.

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours very hazy amber, thin off-white head.

S- Overpowering spicy chili and a bit of cinnamon.

T- Very similar to the nose. It's basically all chiles. Cinnamon comes in a little on the aftertaste.

M- medium body and medium carbonation, but it is not easy to drink.

O- I don't know, maybe I let this sit for too long. I knew it would be spicy being brewed with Anaheim chilies and cinnamon, but this just obliterated any expectation I had. It is unbelievably spicy.

3.02/5  rDev -19.3%

Had this fresh...let's see what a year has done.

Pours out a pretty deep amber with ruby hints and 2 fingers of khaki head.

The aroma has some cinnamon in it and roasted chile pepper skin, along with some Belgian yeast characteristics and some toffee/caramel malt notes. A little bit of coriander and orange peel, but it's pretty subtle.

The taste is also more subdued than when it was fresh. The cinnamon is subdued, but more up front than the more mellowed out chile notes. There are toffee and caramel malt notes along with some bready notes. Much sweeter than this initially was because of how the chile notes mellowed out. Fresh, this was much more balanced.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is rich and smooth. No taste or smell of alcohol, but there is a slight warming as it goes down.

This was a pretty decent beer fresh, but this has not aged all that well. Not a bad beer, but nothing great either and probably not easy to come by at this point.

3.41/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is dark mahogany/burnt orange like. Smell is chilies, cinnamin, dark chocolate and more chilies. Pretty amazing aroma. Taste the chilies at the start. No real alcohol burn and really taste the sweetness with cinnamin. Very drinkable indeed. Not overly carbonated which may have made it a bit nicer in the mouth. The tartness with the chilies and the sweet flavor really work well.

4.6/5  rDev +23%

From a 22 oz bottle purchased when first released, in the cellar or 2+ years.
(I bought at least two of each Epic from 8/8 on, drank one and kept the other.)

Poured into a stem glass.

Very hazy amber, plenty of tan head.

Taste starts spicy, the chilies and cinnamon now in perfect balance. A small amount of acrid alcohol, not surprising in a beer of this style, not unpleasant. Nice Belgian funk in the aftertaste.

Very full in the mouth, plenty of carbonation.

Overall, worth the waiting.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle.

Pours a carbonated, hazed mahogany with a thin tan head. Spicy green pepper and lime on the nose with mild citrus sweetness. Interesting. Flavor is initially sweet and citrusy with a slight buttery malt touch before drying out to a pleasant hot chile and green pepper finish. A little too sweet and syrupy to drink much of, but I like the salsa like flavor hiding in here.

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to the Thorpes for sharing.

The beer is pretty clear, appearing amber hued with a thin, tan collar. The aroma brings citrus, spice, malt. Interesting flavor, with some limes and tart citrus amidst a sturdy malt profile. Chiles emerge more as the beer is allowed to warm. Interesting. Spicy aftertaste with some medium to full bodied malt character. Decent.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a bottle into a glass on 1/7/13

First let me say i feel a bit slighted that there were aged versions of this beer. I bet those where tasty.

Appearance- It pours a ruddy reddish orange with a light orange head. It dissipates eventually. Hardly any lacing

Aroma- Yeast, Banana, butter, cinnamon some vanilla and carmel on the back end.

Taste- Buttery, chili. reminiscent of a holiday tamale. A little corny, husky at the front, a big roasted chili flavor in the middle, and light cinnamon and piney hops round out the end. I am reminded of the few times I had Nopales, the mexican side dish made from cactus pads. It also becomes somewhat vinous as it warms.

Mouthfeel- slick almost greasy, low alcohol warmth.

Overall- having just tasted Telegraph's holiday Ale and the big smack of cinnamon that had, i have to say i somewhat enjoyed the subdued efforts of Stones 11/11/11 epic. I think by this time in the series the brewers were becoming bored or brash or both and just started throwing stuff in the beer. The Cinnamon was well played and the chilies worked okay, the whole thing played out a bit like a questionable "hole in the wall" mexican food joint. It doesn't look like much but it has it where it counts. The slick mouthfeel was a little off putting I thought of a greasy Chile Relleno. To me, if it was meant to be aged it would have a cork too...As one of the later releases in the epic series i imagine it was designed to not be cellared as long so it lacked some of the qualities i was expecting (slight oxidation, mellowed boozy warmth, hints of molasses plum and maybe some slight esthers or sourness) but, that's hardly the fault of the brewer. I wouldn't order another but this makes me wish I would have got in on the ground floor in the vertical epic series.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed in a 07-12 vertical.

A - Poured into a palm tulip a nice dark woody hue with a nice half finger off white head that left a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of light vanilla and ancho chili's. Some nice Belgian esters as well.

T - Taste has lots of Belgian esters, vanilla and ancho chili's, especially on the finish. Delicious.

M - Mouthfeel is solid for the style, nice carbonation.

O - Overall a tasty beer, like what the vanilla and chili brings to they table.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Pours with one finger of off white foam on top of a hazy, reddish brown body. The head settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Deep caramel, chocolate, and spicy notes of pepper, smoke, and clove.

T - Dark sugar, clove, and coriander up front. Some slightly harsh phenolics in the middle and a finish of brown sugar, chocolate, and dull spices.

M - Medium thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - I enjoyed this quite a bit last year when I had it fresh on tap, but it is not as enjoyable now as it once was. The aroma is quite nice, but the flavor is flabby and dull with a cloying meatiness that sits heavily on the palate.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.