Follow our progress ...

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Reviews: 481 | Ratings: 1,520
4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

waited until 11/11/11 to open this one that I've had in my fridge for 3 days. I waited until the clock turned from 11:59pm on the 10th to 12:00am on the 11th.

pretty clear mahogany amber color with a nicely sized light tan head that billows to the top of my duvel tulip and laces well as it slowly recedes.

belgian amber aromas with fruity esters, toasted malts, a bit of the clove and banana scents typical to a belgian yeast. behind that, my nose hairs tickle from the chiles, but they do not overpower.

starts yeasty, gets sweetened up by the malt, some cinnamon creeps in and some fruits. after the swallow the chiles linger without burning.

pleasant soft carbonation that lets the flavors pop without being too harsh.

skeptical at first, but this actually works. not sure how it will age. It will be interesting to see. drinks pretty damn well now.

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

It pours a nice dark amber color, more like burgundy as there are lots of brown hues in this beer. It has a nice finger of off white head that’s somewhat foamy but more softer and more cloudlike than soapy. It smells really great, strong roasted peppers with a nice blend of both cinnamon and some darker fruits like cherries or plums that are more tart than sweet as the sweetness definitely comes from the cinnamon. The Anaheim pepper flavors smack your mouth before the beer even gets to your tongue, definitely enjoyed breathing the flavor in. The peppers are definitely the dominant flavor but the cinnamon is done really well, it’s subtle and compliments the peppers but more importantly it adds another layer of depth as it brings forward some sweeter flavors that remind me of spiced banana bread. The most impressive aspect of the beer is how long the roasted pepper flavor lingers on your tongue, it’s a really nice smokey and spicy element that I found highly enjoyable. The body is really great, nice and big without being too full and chewy.

Verdict: This is a really impressive beer. Most chili pepper beers or spicy beers I’ve tried like the Rogue Chipotle Ale are very one dimensional and more of a gimmick beer. This is a really well crafted Belgian style that utilizes some bold and unique flavors, a Stone hallmark.

2.56/5  rDev -31.6%

Fresh off a nice Steel Reserve 211 (I hear some folks score it as high as a 3.7!!!) I was curious to give this puppy a whirl. As always, I keep an open mind for the novel and new in the beer world.

Pours a burnished brown with some burnt orange highlights when held to a light. Long lasting off-white crust and some bubbling.

Smells like medicinal toasted herbal banana cloves, with more medicinal notes, alcohol solvent, more medicinal notes, and please Yog Sothoth ... please don't let that be roasted chili pepper laced with cinnamon. Oh, great Cthulhu, no. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The smell had promise (at least, the promise of a solid base), but the flavor of this beer is ruined by an epic spice/adjunct overload that vertically sodomizes my tastebuds. The clove/banana/medicine has a lot of promise, but does not mesh well with other flavors. The solvent-y alcohol-y ness of this beer is surprising given it is only 9.6 abv. The chiles are unnecessary and distracting, and do not mesh with the belgian semi-sweet base. The yeast is swallowed up by competing and distracting flavors. It's like cats drenched in various spices are fighting for supremacy in my mouth, and no matter who wins, I lose.

It's a shame what they did to a beer that obviously started with promise. I mean ... this is one of the more solid Belgian bases that Stone has come up with in recent years, and the unnecessary detritus they heaped into it has really detracted from the overall appeal.

Mouthfeel does little enliven this brew.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours rusty amber, pretty appealing, and surprising considering this is a Belgian base.

S - The chili hits me first, then the Belgian sweetness, then a faint trace of the cinnamon. Overall the mingle together into something that quite remarkable, in my opinion. As I continue to drink the bomber, more banana becomes prevalent.

T - Tastes like a very solid Belgian brew. The chili and cinnamon are faint, but still detectable. Maybe this is something that will change with age. The sweetness is not over the top like with some Belgian brews. There's more banana taste as the beer warms. I'm looking forward to having this again next year.

M - Carbonation is just right, doesn't overwhelm but is still very intriguing.

O - This is a pretty outstanding brew right now, and I can only see it getting better. I like it significantly more than when I first tried the 10.10.10. I know that might seem like an odd comparison but it's the only other Vertical Epic I've had. I'd definitely recommend picking up at least two.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz brown bomber with an obvious vintage date.

LOOK: Garnet amber color, healthy looking head.

SMELL: Cinnamon stick, Anaheim chilies, golden raisins, candied fruit, toasted grain, boozy alcohol.

TASTE: Cinnamon, mild chili pepper, toasted bread, dusty powdered clove, banana taffy, medicinal phenols, clean alcohol, hop bitterness, treacle, chaotic finish.

Nearly a palate overload, thankfully I prepared for this beer and I guess I am a pro more or less so I can roll with the punches. Flavors come in waves, cinnamon and chili then the Belgo-yeast character and of course the generous handful of hops all surrounded by a well balanced malt backbone. The heat, its from the alcohol ... not the chili. Possibly the most enjoyable Vertical Epic from Stone I have had that was not cellared.

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%

The bottle calls it a "non-sequitur" of a beer, and thus it was difficult to categorize. It's brewed with a Belgian Flanders ale yeast with cinnamon and Anaheim chilis. So is it a Belgian ale? A chile beer? A spiced beer? It's all of the above, and somehow all of those things actually work together.

The bottle says the yeast should present banana and clove favors, and it does. The cinnamon and chiles are also present.

Banana and chile are the two most dominant favors to my palate with banana up front and chile in the middle and finish. The chile is noticeable though not overly spicy.

Really, it seems like it should be a mess, but it's delicious,

It's a nice garnet color, thick frothy tan head that fades quickly, in the nose I pick up spice and alcohol, but the booziness doesn't carry over to the taste. Mouthfeel is rich but not heavy.

I really like this. One of the better entries in the Vertical Epic series. Serious credit for taking a bunch of favors that don't seem like they should go together and making them work harmoniously. I'll definitely be getting more while it's on shelves.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.