Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Reviews: 478 | Hads: 1,508
4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours rusty amber, pretty appealing, and surprising considering this is a Belgian base.

S - The chili hits me first, then the Belgian sweetness, then a faint trace of the cinnamon. Overall the mingle together into something that quite remarkable, in my opinion. As I continue to drink the bomber, more banana becomes prevalent.

T - Tastes like a very solid Belgian brew. The chili and cinnamon are faint, but still detectable. Maybe this is something that will change with age. The sweetness is not over the top like with some Belgian brews. There's more banana taste as the beer warms. I'm looking forward to having this again next year.

M - Carbonation is just right, doesn't overwhelm but is still very intriguing.

O - This is a pretty outstanding brew right now, and I can only see it getting better. I like it significantly more than when I first tried the 10.10.10. I know that might seem like an odd comparison but it's the only other Vertical Epic I've had. I'd definitely recommend picking up at least two.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz brown bomber with an obvious vintage date.

LOOK: Garnet amber color, healthy looking head.

SMELL: Cinnamon stick, Anaheim chilies, golden raisins, candied fruit, toasted grain, boozy alcohol.

TASTE: Cinnamon, mild chili pepper, toasted bread, dusty powdered clove, banana taffy, medicinal phenols, clean alcohol, hop bitterness, treacle, chaotic finish.

Nearly a palate overload, thankfully I prepared for this beer and I guess I am a pro more or less so I can roll with the punches. Flavors come in waves, cinnamon and chili then the Belgo-yeast character and of course the generous handful of hops all surrounded by a well balanced malt backbone. The heat, its from the alcohol ... not the chili. Possibly the most enjoyable Vertical Epic from Stone I have had that was not cellared.

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%

The bottle calls it a "non-sequitur" of a beer, and thus it was difficult to categorize. It's brewed with a Belgian Flanders ale yeast with cinnamon and Anaheim chilis. So is it a Belgian ale? A chile beer? A spiced beer? It's all of the above, and somehow all of those things actually work together.

The bottle says the yeast should present banana and clove favors, and it does. The cinnamon and chiles are also present.

Banana and chile are the two most dominant favors to my palate with banana up front and chile in the middle and finish. The chile is noticeable though not overly spicy.

Really, it seems like it should be a mess, but it's delicious,

It's a nice garnet color, thick frothy tan head that fades quickly, in the nose I pick up spice and alcohol, but the booziness doesn't carry over to the taste. Mouthfeel is rich but not heavy.

I really like this. One of the better entries in the Vertical Epic series. Serious credit for taking a bunch of favors that don't seem like they should go together and making them work harmoniously. I'll definitely be getting more while it's on shelves.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.