Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Chile Beer |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: JAramini on 11-10-2011

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Reviews: 478 | Hads: 1,508
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

I was surprised by the taste in comparison to the description. "Spicy beer?" was my initial thought, but it's more mellow than that. The chili taste is more of an aftertaste or aftersip. Banana and clove are more present than the cinnamon. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours rusty amber, pretty appealing, and surprising considering this is a Belgian base.

S - The chili hits me first, then the Belgian sweetness, then a faint trace of the cinnamon. Overall the mingle together into something that quite remarkable, in my opinion. As I continue to drink the bomber, more banana becomes prevalent.

T - Tastes like a very solid Belgian brew. The chili and cinnamon are faint, but still detectable. Maybe this is something that will change with age. The sweetness is not over the top like with some Belgian brews. There's more banana taste as the beer warms. I'm looking forward to having this again next year.

M - Carbonation is just right, doesn't overwhelm but is still very intriguing.

O - This is a pretty outstanding brew right now, and I can only see it getting better. I like it significantly more than when I first tried the 10.10.10. I know that might seem like an odd comparison but it's the only other Vertical Epic I've had. I'd definitely recommend picking up at least two.

1.48/5  rDev -60.4%

One of the worst beers I've ever tried. It tasted like someone put some Anaheim chilies in a blender and poured copious amounts of the puree into an already unbalanced beer.

I've had some ok chili beers, but this one was literally undrinkable. Any other redeeming qualities it might have had (mouthfeel, appearance) were completely overshadowed by the putrid chili taste. I like Anaheim peppers, and I like beer, but this mix was wretched.

Split a 22oz with a friend, each took a couple sips, and we both poured it out on the lawn.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.