1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Old Guardian Barley Wine Style AleOld Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: smerrell on 02-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,231 | Reviews: 199 | Show All Ratings:
Tucquan

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Had this on 2012-03-08 in Lancaster, PA at The Fridge

A - Pretty clear mahogany with 1/4-finger off-white head and light lacing.

S - Mild dark fruit, brown bread and hop floral. Not very strong.

T - Rich malt body with some caramel, raisin, earthy spice, touch of pepper, pine, grapefruit juice and rind. Fairly sweet but the alcohol helps to balance this. Aftertaste remains sweet, peppery, very spicy with lots of rind bitterness. I like the flavor.

M - Medium-heavy body and light-medium carbonation. Prickly and lightly oily.

O - Very good. Plenty of interesting flavors. Reminds me of a triple IPA.

03-09-2012 18:19:09 | More by Tucquan
herman77

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Dark clear amber/dark copper with a fairly large off white head that dies down after a bit. Awesome lacing.

S: Lots of bready malt. Toffee and a bit of carmel malt too. Pine hops and a bit of grapefruit in the mix as well.

T: Tons and tons of deep carmel malt and toffee. Caramelized sugar. There is a good dose of pine hops. It's got that classic stone hop profile taste that's intense and in your face, but the malt is stronger than the hops in this one. Some lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium body. Smooth and moderate carbonation.

O: Nice. I thought it would be a lot hoppier having had a decent amount of Stone's stuff, but the malt is center stage here. I like it, but if remember, it seems a lot like Double Bastard.

03-09-2012 00:14:19 | More by herman77
kennylopez

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a 22oz bottle into a mini snifter

Appearance: a clear reddish amber color with a fine white head and slight retention and a spot or two of lacing

Smells: there is a sweet dark fruit that blends with the big hops and barley notes.

Tastes: a cherry and plum come through the bitter pine hops that merge and balance wonderfully with a generous barley bill I truly adore.

Mouthfeel: at 11% this is a lightly carbonated ale with and sweet aftertaste after the bitter floral hops bite.

Overall: Every year Stone lets this out around Feb. by me and I always enjoy it. this year I picked up six and after cracking the first one I remember why for the past three years I go back out grabbing as much as I can before its gone.

03-09-2012 00:07:52 | More by kennylopez
dbrauneis

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a bottle at Idle Hands in New York, NY

A: Pours a clear amber with a thin off-white head that reduces to a ring of bubbles at the edge of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Caramel malts, some light pine hops, and a fair amount of sweetness.

T: Nice caramel malts and toffee sweetness to this one followed by a pine hop bitterness. Some light amounts of heat from the alcohol and a nice amount of complexity.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Great sipping beer though a little sweet for my palate. Nice complexity in both the smell and the flavor. I like the hop bitterness on the finish that helps the beer from being overpowering in sweetness. The high ABV is fairly well hidden.

03-08-2012 14:33:21 | More by dbrauneis
oberon

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

After taking a one year hiatus from Old Guardian I decided to pick up the 2012 today,glad I did.Poured into in impy nonic a rich deep amber with a creamy slight off white one finger head,great rich clarity to the color.Yeast and brown sugar in the nose mainly,some stinging alcohol also as it warms,not much hop presence.Brown sugar and cakey flavors at the start with underlying alcohol notes,now the resiny hops come in and make for a dry even a litle raw finish.This is brash and big it's boozy with a big hop presence like I would think an OG would be,Iam gonna cellar one and see in six months how it is,as for this "young" one, I loved it.

03-05-2012 21:55:38 | More by oberon
StoneBrewFanatic

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours dark ruby into my snifter with about one finger of head, minimal retention and lacing.

S - Caramelized sugar, molasses, piny hops, honey sweetness, mild citrus, dark fruits and very faint booze.

T - Caramelized sugars, toffee, molasses, malt, piny and resinous, slight grapefruit rind bite that lingers through the finish, fig and raisin, with a mild alcohol presence.

M - Extremely well balanced, medium/full body, smooth and creamy, sticky and coats the palate, perfectly balanced carbonation.

O - I was pleasantly surprised after the first sip I took from my glass. I remember being very underwhelmed with last years version and this year they are spot on. I hope to get my hands on more of this to stash away for a bit.

03-05-2012 15:40:27 | More by StoneBrewFanatic
FightingEntropy

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bias alert--Old Guardian is one of my favorite all time beers. In the past, I've had to buy it online from Beer on the Wall, import it from California friends or buy it in Indiana during our annual Purdue road trip. When I found out that Old Guardian was coming in later in the day when I was buying beer for the One Voice fundraiser beer basket, I was very excited. The next day I called to reserve a case of twelve to last me through the year, and maybe age a few.

The last case of Old Guardian I bought was when I asked my sister to pick me up some bottles when she still lived in LA. Stopping at the local liquor store, she was able to buy a case and did so. I took eleven bottles home in my travel backpack on the plane. This was the 2003 vintage that was the old recipe, and I have two bottles left that I will review as a comparison to 2010 and 2012 versions later.

Today's bottle has a creamy pale brown head on top of a orange tinted brown ale. My wife says the color is a liquefied root beer candy. Nose is mellow when cold, and experience has taught me to sip this one slow--and not just for the 11% alcohol kick. The beer opens up nicely and is a favorite Sunday afternoon beer that I can lazily drink through a fall football game or a movie. Alcohol is apparent in the nose as is the 85 IBUs. Strong hop on top of fig, dark fruit and caramel maltiness. Pleasant and perfectly balance. Hops bite hard on the tongue to counter balance the syrupy malt backbone of this beer along with a resin and oiliness reminiscent of Belgian quadruple.

Stone's description explains the change in character for 2012. Chinook, Calypso and Cascade hops were substituted for the recent usual East Kent Goldings. I like the change, but it is clearly different--like seeing an old friend after years a part. If you are a follower of the hop god at all, I would try a bottle of this beer.

03-04-2012 22:29:53 | More by FightingEntropy
RattleheadKV2

New Mexico

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bomber into 16 oz goblet.

Appearance: Pours a nice dark amber, with about a half a fingers worth of off-white head, the dissipates rather rapidly.Tons of alcohol legs.

Smell: Wow, this sure is an American Barley Wine, hops all over the place. Tons of piney citriusy notes; grapefruit, oranges, pine needles aplenty.

Taste: Tons of hops at the front, that blends into a smooth sweet maltiness, and finishes bitter, and dry.

Mouthfeel: Nice full body on this one, you can almost chew it.

Overall: Great brew, and rather smooth for such a your barley wine. I grabbed a few extra of these to cellar over the years. Truly a great release that I look forward to every year.

03-03-2012 06:53:55 | More by RattleheadKV2
Fubar1453

4.23/5  rDev +6%

A: Beautiful deep red with a thick foamy white head.

S: Lots of fruit and sweetness.

T: Does not match the sweetness of the nose, of of the most bitter beers I've ever had. It tastes like Arrogant Bastard mixed with a large amount of dark fruits.

M: Very slick and creamy, mixed with the bitterness, its a sipper.

O: Great beer, my first barleywine and I absolutely loved it. I want to have this with a thick cut sirloin every night of the week.

03-02-2012 23:15:43 | More by Fubar1453
Gushue3

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured into Stone IRS snifter. Lets hope its better the the Belgo IRS I had earlier

A 2 finger white-ish head with a tint of red and the body is clear amber/red. After the head recedes some lacing is left in a ring above the beer.

S Gigantic sweet bready dough malts and sweetness. A little bit of dark fruits and a little yeast in the nose. Doesnt smell too American

T lots of big malty tastes here. Doughy bread yeast and some sweet malts take over in the front. Slight hint of booze in the middle along with the tiny bitterness toward the end.

M Thicker mouthfeel is accompanied by lighter carbonation. My mouth is left feeling slightly syrupy after a sip. Big beer with big presence

O

03-02-2012 03:38:47 | More by Gushue3
44Stone

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a 9oz Brandy Snifter. Pours Dark Copper with a light tan foamy head. Excellent lacing and body.

Smells of softened dry fruit and honey with a nice earthy hop aroma. Very inviting.

Tastes like it smells; beautiful malty sweetness, more than I remember from last year's version (although we just tried last year's bottle from the cellar and the hops of course mellowed a bit). The hops are defintely present but not as forward as past versions, in a good way. It takes a little warmth to develop but worth the wait. Excellent balance and dangerously drinkable.

Overall, probably my favorite Un-aged version of Old Guardian. I lean towards the English style for Barleywines, and this one satisfies until the end. A must-try.

03-02-2012 02:20:08 | More by 44Stone
sacrelicio

1.5/5  rDev -62.4%

Big disappointment from Stone. I eagerly awaited this since it was new to the Twin Cities market. It looks fine, but the smell is just fumey with booze and a few hops thrown in. I even get a weird rubber smell in there. The taste is harsh and bitter with an alcohol burn. The mouthfeel is fine, but that's not enough to save this brew. I know Stone likes their hops but this is too much. Maybe some age could save this. This is like the Thunderbird of barleywine.

02-28-2012 07:18:20 | More by sacrelicio
wrycon

2.68/5  rDev -32.8%

Ruby-copper in appearance. Pretty transparent. About a finger and a half of off-white head. Lacing is semi-tight with minimal retention. Not the strongest nose. A bit of smoke, some dark fruit. Smelling a sort of candied fruit, not quite caramel. Not much there. Thick apricoty-toffee in front, not overly strong. That shifts to again a smokey sort of bitterness, which is not the best. Tastes like more of a DIPA than a barleywine. I'm getting a lot of pine in the back end and a lot of bitter. That's fine, I guess, but it's not what I want from a barley wine. Probably much better with a few years under its belt.

Like It? Not Really

02-28-2012 01:45:48 | More by wrycon
StlHopHead77

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

A-Pours out a slightly hazy,maroon/crimson body that supported one and a half inches of off white
foam that showed moderate dissipation and left full sheets of sudsy lacing on the glass.

S-The nose here is muted with some scents of toffee,tobacco,a slight Kirsch quality and mild, citrusy hops,which along with the Kirsch,gave off something similar to the smell of Cherry-limeade.Some fruity alcohol notes were present as well.

T-More citrus here with dried cherry, caramel,blonde tobacco,toffee glazed almonds and raw,leafy hop bitterness.

M-Medium bodied with a lasting bitterness that helps to downplay the natural baked sugar sweetness of this beer.

O-A good Barleywine that I'm looking forward to trying with some age on it.

02-27-2012 12:27:24 | More by StlHopHead77
MEsoJD

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

[Poured into a Snifter glass]

I: Not much to say about this. It's a new stone, and automatically warrants a purchase on that fact alone. That said, I'm intrigued to see stones take on Barley Wines.

B: [11% ABV. 1 Pt. 6Fl Oz. Ingredients ("Tons and tons of Barley, bountiful hops, water, and yeast")] Stone makes some of the most beautiful beer bottles out there. Their Barley Wine bottle takes a more minimalistic approach that seems fitting. Nice gold font for the majority and red for the latter.

A: Damn fine looking brew. Transparent dark ruby red body, with a bubbly semi fluffy head(fast/medium dissipation), and light lacing.

S: Slight boozy pine, sweet caramel malt, some citrus, and some dark fruit presence. Smell wasn't as prominent as I expecting.

T: Heavily moderated by the creamy sweet caramel malt, fig, biscuity, molasses, citrus hops (take a backseat), and warming alcohol.

M: Super slick dry finish, medium/full bodied, medium carbonation, and apparent boozy alcohol presence (becomes more subtle overtime, but will creep fast).

O: Aw stone I love you so. Stone almost never diss-points with their official releases (same can't be said about the collabs). For once the hops aren't the star of the show, but the malt in this case. The only blind taste test identifier is the uniqueness of this brew. This is one slick/syrupy/sweet tasty beer that gracefully coats your mouth. It also looks gorgeous. I would say "Old Guardian 2012" is another winner. I recommend you buy this. Hell I wish I bought 3. Cheers!!!

02-27-2012 05:03:48 | More by MEsoJD
thecheapies

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Old Guardian 2012

Poured a share into a brandy snifter. Oh boy, I can already start to smell this one.

Two-and-half fingers of cream-colored head that looks dense. Dark amber in color with some murk, but otherwise, great clarity.

Papery scents mixed with muted citrus hops, toffee, buckwheat, pine, booze sweetness, and dark fruits. Lots of malty vs hoppy, where malty wins.

Hops are in the front row, getting tackled by the alcohol in the middle. There's a rye spice character that works in tandem with the pine/citrus hops. An earthy, bread crust-y malt is big and enveloping, working in media of burnt sugars and musty fruits. Gotta love that spicy prickle, almost like there's a bit of cayenne in the mix. Stings in the finish amidst the bubbles. Hey, it's hot, but I kind of like it like that. I have another one to bury in a dark place for awhile, but I like to experience the fresh example. Medium-heavy bodied with great fresh barleywine carb presence. A little sticky on my upper lip, but far from cloying. Knock a few points for the big stomach-sinking booze, but the mouthfeel is otherwise top-of-the-line.

I can't believe this is the first time trying Old Guardian. Gotta look into scoring some older vintages. Highly recommended, and at $6.99 a bottle, a huge win! I'll buy mo', fo' sho!

02-27-2012 03:31:46 | More by thecheapies
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

2012 version.

Pours a gorgeous dark copper light amber color with some awesome ruby hints and hues. The head is nice and at about 0.5 inch recedes at a moderate pace to a nice thing film and then to a nice sticky ring.

Sweet malty notes to start off with some intense molasses, nice caramel notes. Some slight brown sugary notes are present as well. There is also some nice resiny hop notes with some pine and slight sweetness in there as well. The nose is definitely more in the malt and caramel realm. Nice boozyness is also perceived.

Now the hops definitely speak up in the taste. Starts off with some intense citrus notes and some real piney notes as well. There is definitely a big booze note to the beer and some heat. However the hops help to offset this a bit. There is also tons of caramel and sweet malt notes in the flavor as the nose indicates. Pretty intense flavors overall but well done. The mouthfeel is silk and oily with some lower carbonation that helps to accentuate some of the intense malt and hop notes.

Good brew by Stone. I think the hop heavy recipe is a step in the right direction for this years release.

02-27-2012 01:09:05 | More by JoEBoBpr
MattyG85

4.23/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness Chalice glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and slightly hazy brownish ruby red with a moderate amount of bubbles. Decent one finger of off white head that dissipates into a small patch. Moderate amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet caramel malts with a good hint of toffee. Hints of bananas and some citrus fruits. Light presence of earthy hops and some sugar. The sweet malts and caramel stand out the most here with the hops being fairly subtle. Alcohol is pretty faint.

Taste: The hops come out a lot more in the taste. Sweet malts with plenty of caramel and toffee. Hints of banana and a little sugar. A good amount of citrus hops with notes of grapefruit and orange. Also a hint of apple. Pretty juicy with a nice kick of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Chewy and moderately sticky. Alcohol heat is pretty moderate.

Overall: A very good American Barleywine. Full juicy flavor and pretty smooth for the ABV.

02-26-2012 07:05:34 | More by MattyG85
Viciousknishs

4.23/5  rDev +6%

I've always had a special place in my heart for this beer. It was my first barleywine and my first aged brew at that.

A- pours a seductive ruby garnet hue with a finger and a half of off white head. Solid retention with some lacing as well.

S- big caramel and toffee characteristics with a liquor like note hits the nose with delight. Bountiful sticky pine and candy coated citrus from the hops blend in making this brew distinctly American and Stone like. Finishes with candied notes and just a little to much heat from the alcohol. The nose begs one to lay this down in the cellar.

T- sticky sugary malts explode on the palate with notes of caramel and toffee. Palate annihilating hops soon usher in some balance and a candied citrus and pine flavor. Liquor like characteristics hit the palate on the finish with a warming alcohol that again wants a year or two tucked away. Still rather tasty and more than drinkable however.

MF- sticky syrupy mouthfeel with a subtle creaminess. Heavy body and good soft small bubbled carbonation.

D- for a barleywine this has very good drinkability. However fresh this brew is monster and will take you some time to conquer. Age will only do wonders.

Overall a great example of the American barleywine style. Tons of malt, buckets of hops and high ABV!

02-25-2012 02:15:58 | More by Viciousknishs
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +1%

A: Poured a deep reddish brown color with good carbonation with a great dirty white cap

S: Caramel, light pine with a nice grapefruit presence

T: A nice hop bitternes, with a blast of Cascade hops presenting a nice grapefruit presence and a hint at pine. Some caramel and booze mix with the hop profile leaving a nice impression of the style. Finishes a bit bitter but not like fresh Bigfoot bitter and a bit sticky

M: Full bodied, well carbonated with loads of flavor

O: Very nice. Should withstand the test of time as most OG's do. Nice changeup by Stone.

02-20-2012 16:12:55 | More by barleywinefiend
HopNelius

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

Served out of 22oz and into sniffer.
Appearance- brown, medium carbonation, some lacing.
Smell- dark fruit and malts.
Taste- dark fruit, clove,bread. Great taste drinkable for the abv, alcohol is not overpowering.
Mouthfeel- pleasant
Overall- great beer, I bought two and will age one to see how thi tastes over time.

02-19-2012 04:31:58 | More by HopNelius
PeterIngemi

Split a 22oz bottle, poured into duvel glass

A- pours deep ruby with a hint of brown. Aggressive pour leaves a one finger off white head that disapates rather quickly, only slight lacing. Very clean looking, not murky in the least.

S- caramely sweet malts, sticky pine, citrusy

T- bitter, sweet syrupy carmel covered hops, maltyness, the sweetness is deffinatley there but the intense hop flavors hold
It all together well, hint of alcohol and slight toasty breadyness in the finish, citrusy hop notes also weave through the malts. Very complex and enjoyable

M- medium to full bodied with crisp medium carbonation, coats the mouth a bit with sticky pine bitterness, drinks clean and crisp just the same.

O- this is a big boy barleywine that's for sure.... Intense and delicious, viciously hopped up and ready to go. Enjoyed it very much.

02-19-2012 00:07:39 | More by PeterIngemi
TheMultiYeast

Bottle ---> DFH signature glass. Dark amber/orange with two finger white head. Some lacing along the glass with a column of rising bubbles.

Decent balance of sweet robust malt, caramel and big bitter hops. Sticky, sappy, pine and mild citrus fade into unique spice notes...cinnamon

Layers of flavor combine pine, citrus, musty earthiness, burnt sugar, and robust malt. Bit of a warming effect from alcohol with enormous wave of prickly bitterness and more booze...still smells hot six months later

..Had again 6 months later with subdued bitterness, less citrus, still very sweet...enjoyable

Big bodied Barley Wine. Thick with mild carbonation.

This one could mellow out a little before cracked. Not bad fresh though.

02-18-2012 06:22:06 | More by TheMultiYeast
smerrell

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a snifter at 50 degrees
The 2012 Stone Old Guardian pouts a clear, dark amber, not unlike iced tea. The head doesn't stick around for long, and lacing is slight.

S: This one smells slightly sweet and citrus-like. I was surprised at how faint the aroma is, and expect it to become more pronounced as it warms.

T: There is a nice caramel flavor, soon overwritten by bitter grapefruit-like hops that dissipate quickly. The finish is dry, and lingers for a while with an aftertaste of apple.
and there is surprisingly no heat from the high alcohol

M: Pleasant, as it feels like it bursts in your mouth, . A quick attack, and a rapid dissipation

O: This is a good example of an American barleywine, although I expected it to have more pronounced sweetness and roasted malt flavors. Given that I find it a little light in that department, I'm curious about how it will age.

02-18-2012 00:55:52 | More by smerrell
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale from Stone Brewing Co.