Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Reviews by Kuaff:
Kuaff

Alaska

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I saw that first box of RuinTen sitting right out in the open at the entrance to the liquor store, I stopped in my tracks and stood still in a mystefied stupor. It must have just been my imagination at work, fabricating the RuinTen label on what was actually just plain old Ruination... but it was no dream. The beer I was holding in my hand later that evening (at cellar temperature and poured into a snifter, of course), was none other. However, the experience I was soon to partake in would be UNREAL.

Ahem... An illuminescent honey orange color. Totally transparent, and with a fleeting one-finger white head. It looked good, but as of yet there were no indications of what was to follow...

As I put my nose up to the snifter, the ecstacy began. I met an explosion of tropical fruits - orange, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. And of COURSE, it smells like HOPS. As if one of Stone's DIPA's WOULDN'T smell hoppy... There is a sweet honey or caramel scent too.

The taste...? An atomic hop bomb. It's just so tremendously intense with hops that it almost feels acidic! Much like Ruination, it has a strong pine character, but it has a more malty finish that differs quite a bit from the CLEAN finish of Ruination. This finishes DIRTY. And I like it. As for other dimensions, it also tastes of resinous plant matter and has a burst of orange flavor. It's a perfect meld that provides something different from the aroma, but also compliments it PERFECTLY. I'm not tasting the 10.8% ABV at ALL, and the following I can say with with certainty: this is the absolute hoppiest beer I've ever had (and probably the bitterest). It is quite simply the epitome of hoppiness.

It has a thicker body than Ruination, the better to support its thicker hop flavor. Carbonated splendidly.

Why did they have to make it so delicious? It's so incredibly, amazingly good that I have trouble restraining myself from drinking it too fast. This is a dangerous high-ABV weapon to be used against lovers of hops like myself. It's the kind of beer I would see mirages of if I was lost in a desert and wandering deliriously across the dunes under a scorching sun. Thank goodness the ones I saw at the store were real. The best DIPA I've ever had? I think so, yes.

07-20-2013 04:01:57 | More by Kuaff
tykechandler

Indiana

07-30-2014 19:21:02 | More by tykechandler
bman13

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a Damn good beer I must say. Much enjoyment comes from drinking any stone beer to me, this one as well as double bastard, is the ice cream on the cake however.

A - deep amber color, somewhat cloudy. Small head that is foamy with some lacing.

S - it smells like runiation with some more piney smelling hops. The smell I'm getting is sweet malts, and piney hoppy goodness. Smell promising.

T - DAMN is all I can say. But seriously, this is delicious. Again, this also tastes like ruination with a more pronounced hop flavor as well as the addition of pine. Very resinous and sticks with you after just one sip. Sweet malts, but not too sweet, being balanced out by the bitter hoppy goodness.

M - Medium to high level of stickiness and is chewy thick but not like a good stout thick, just right for an DIPA.

O - Loving this beer. I may be biased as I enjoy every stone beer there is, but I tried to give it an unbiased review. If you're a piney hop lover and love a perfectly BALANCED DIPA, definitely get one of these. Right now is the time to get one and if you want to get some, I'd recommend stocking up with as many as you can grab since this isn't year round.

Thanks again stone for your WONDERFUL take on yet, ANOTHER practically perfect beer.

07-30-2014 17:51:37 | More by bman13
SamT

Iowa

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Light amber with a thick creamy head that is slightly off-white

S- Could literally smell this beer from a foot away! Powerful malt backbone in the aroma with nice resinous hoppy smells.

T- The malty goodness is apparent to me first while the spicy hop flavor comes on the back side. Slight alcohol burn on the finish.

M- Big bodied beer! First sip is enough to coat the mouth, carbonation on this beer is also subdued.

O- Wow this beer definitely impresses, huge malt profile but the hops still manage to shine on the back end. Definitely a hearty sipper of a beer. Honestly left me somewhat speechless on the review as I spent more time just sitting back and enjoying each sip for everything that it is rather than put a lot of thought into breaking it down..

07-30-2014 12:30:05 | More by SamT

Draesith

07-28-2014 21:48:52 | More by Draesith
IHEP

07-28-2014 18:36:47 | More by IHEP
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.