Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Reviews by kojevergas:
2.56/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

10.8% confirmed. Bottle acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop on Saturday. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and posh etched label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are actually high even though I despise Stone; I've heard some pretty good things about this one.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and great retention (~7+ minutes) for the high ABV. Frothy, silky, and appealing. Body colour is a surprisingly hazy murky orange-copper. Tangerine orange, if you will. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Carbonation bubbles are visible in usual quantities; carbonation seems fine. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. I'm actually fairly impressed with the appearance, though the lack of clarity and translucence has taken me off-guard.

Sm: Hop character is generic floral with light grapefruit, some nectary notes, and some pine. But what catches my attention is not the hops; it's the overdone milky sweetness. Nectary and sticky and too prominent for the style. They definitely doubled the malt to compensate for the hops, but I don't know that they did it well judging by the aroma. I don't detect any yeasty notes or alcohol. A messy aroma of moderate strength. The emphasis is in the wrong place and there doesn't seem to be any balance - but hey, it's Stone.

T: Some wretched grapefruit with an overly sweet malty foundation that really destroys all balance - especially in the third act, where I'm left with a milky rotted tangerine character that lingers off the finish. Blech. Some nice juicy citrus up front, but it's quickly destroyed by the poor malt build. I don't know which pale malts they selected, but they're not doing it for me here. Amarillo or columbus would have been much better hop choices. Hop character lacks diversity, depth of flavour, or evocative quality. Overdone caramel contributes to the third act nightmare. Butterscotch. Cream. It's like it becomes a crappy saison in the third act, but without the accompanying spice - just milkiness and caramel malt. Alcohol does come through, but it's well hidden for the most part - and besides, it's the least of the problems here. To be honest, the flavour isn't that bad in the opening act; the grapefruit is a bit more overt and the maltiness hasn't gone rogue yet. But the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is wretched. Another mess from Stone brewing. Pineapple hits on the climax. Maybe some clove? Who cares. It's complex without any balance or subtlety; any homebrewer can dump a bunch of ingredients in, but it takes a master to control them. This tastes like a homebrewer got control of some fancy toys.

Mf: Smooth. Wet. A bit creamy - a strange and out of place attribute for an Imperial IPA. Good carbonation - a highlight of this beer. Presence on the palate is poor; it overwhelms. I wouldn't say it ruins; it's just a mess dumped on your tongue.

Dr: Another mess from Stone that fails to impress. I wish I loved this like others do, but to me it's just more testament to the ineptitude of Stone's brewers. Why I keep buying their beer I don't know. I guess I keep hoping I'll come across one that's great. I definitely wouldn't get this again; more for all of you. I'll be sticking to Alpine's IPAs. To this beer's credit, the ABV doesn't come through as much as you'd expect; I'd peg it for about 8% if it were a blind taste. I wouldn't call it drinkable, but I won't have any trouble killing this bomber alone. Disappointed. I hope the Enjoy By waiting in my fridge is better.

Low C-

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Kevin for bringing this one by and opening it. It looks like a burnt stoplight amber color in my glass with very sharp and crisp clarity. The thin-bubbled, creamy, off-white cap grows thick and settles slowly; it leaves very nice lacing behind - something I've come to expect from basically every Stone brew now.

Huge citrus and mild tropical undertones line the first sniff; ripe-ass, juicy grapefruit, some pineapple, and lightly white-pepper covered citrus peels and citrus zest. No doubt that this was crafted on the West Coast with a citric hop profile like this. The hops are pretty dank, herbal, and floral; they smell of dripping wet bitterness.

As RuinTen warms up a little, the aroma warps from all hops and no malt, to some hops and a lot of malt. The malts actually become a bit overpowering if you let this sit in your glass for too long - caramel and sticky toffee malts; sweet, sweet, and sweet. Bready and full of itself; I recommend not letting RuinTen mellow for too long, though it may be a hard one to guzzle at 10.8% ABV.

The malt base is strong in the flavor up-front; toasted breads, lightly sweet caramels and a touch of toffee - a huge, lofty malt cloud upon which the huge hop profile opens up. Pungent, leafy, and full of hop oils. Just like the aroma, the initial hop flavors are super fruity; tons of citrus and grapefruit peels, candied and dashed with a bit of white pepper. A very mild onion flavor comes and goes around mid-palate or so.

The malt sweetness cuts the bitterness and keeps things balanced at first, but much like the aroma, the flavors gets a bit too "malt heavy" and almost cloyingly sweet once the brew has about 15-20 minutes to warm up. The hops take a backseat, the caramel and toffee malts jump out, and the alcohol inherits a larger phenol-like presence. The mouth on this beer is huge; thick, sticky, with a resinous and heavy mouth feel.

Had I reviewed the first half of this beer only, I would have loved it. The latter half proved to be a bit too sweet, borderline-cloying, and overpowered with malt. The hop profile was beautiful, but unfortunately it doesn't shine strong for more than 15 minutes or so. I prefer the regular Ruination to this, if only for the lighter malt bill, however this brew is still pretty solid.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

A: A deep amber tinted with a glowing orange hue having excellent clarity and a persistent off-white head.

S: A big hops nose with citrus and pineapple dominating along with grapefruit, pine and some grassy notes. There is a clean malt aroma. No alcohol noticeable behind all the hops to warn about the ABV.

T: Bitter, yet smooth hop candy dominated by pineapple, orange and grapefruit. It has a high hop flavor with a moderately-high hop bitterness. There is enough malt sweetness keep the bitterness from being to assertive though the balance is well into the bitter side. The bitterness hangs on well past the dry finish without being harsh.

M: Medium-light with a moderate carbonation and smooth alcohol warming.

O: This is definitely in my top five list for Double IPA, just an outstanding beer for a hop head. The balance and smoothness of this beer while having so much hop flavor and a respectable strong bitterness is a real treat.

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%

One of the best IPAs out there. Thank you Stone.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a container of melted sand. About 1 month old.

A - Golden honey, not much head. Pretty clear, I like to see some haze in my beers.

S - Big floral and citrus notes. Honey vanilla, lavender, sugarplum, caramel.

T - Bitter toasted sugar, lemon, alfalfa, hints of candy like butterscotch & caramel, flower nectar, unicorn blanket, vanilla, oats, ethanol.

M - Could use a touch more carbonation.

O - A very good DIPA. I think I like the regular Ruination better.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

I normally would break this beer down, but this time, it broke me. It has it all. Color, aroma, mouthfell, flavor, complexity...I have enjoyed a lot of beers, this was one to savor, it has it all. A hop bomb with the perfect malt balance. Every sip was outstanding, and more enjoyable than the last. One the most enjoyable beers I have had, and I want another. I enjoy Stone offerings, cannot tell you how much I appreciated this one. Definitely top 5, maybe top 3. Get it, you will love it, if not send it to me.......

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into my Stone imperial nonic a medium clear golden with a tinge of burnt orange a frothy 1/2 finger white head atop.Drunken sharp citrus fruit in the nose, a mix of alcohol and awesome hops just what would I expect from this beer.Flavors are deeply resiny with a leather note,overripe citrus fruit lends to the deep hop presence,sweetness comes from alcohol and a bit of caramel.Wow this is big,brash and beautiful in it's intense hops and high alcohol content,not for the faint of heart by any means.I was gonna mention this beer to a few beer novice friends,I think I'll mention something else.This beer is no joke.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

A - The beer is a deep golden amber color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S - The aroma is solid with a primarily grapefruit and pine hop scent that has a resin hint. A hint of alcohol and not a lot of malt presence.

T - Big pine flavor with huge bitterness mixed with some caramel malt flavor that adds a bit of sweetness, but not too much.

M - Medium-full body, low carbonation, just a little bit of booze warmth.

O - This beer does live up to it's name. It's the most destructive IPA on my pleat that I've ever experienced. Good beer but does not live up to the hype for me.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.