Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,081 | Reviews: 758

My god this beer was amazing!
Ruination itself is already great but this one takes it to a new level.
I am very "hoppy" to have had it for IPA Day yesterday and to be able to share it with good friends who also enjoy hoppy brews!
It pours out a nice golden color and the smell of hops invades your nostrils. It's a piney/dankish hop smell, just like I likes it!!!

If the smell alone doesn't blow you away the taste sure as hell will. It's nice because it's more about the hop flavor and aroma than the bitterness. I found it to be less bitter than the normal Ruination, I actually prefer it like that.

Get one of these if you can, if your a hophead you will not regret it!

By the way, also had this beer the night before on-tap at Hops & Pie, Denver.
As a lover of IPA's-- and beer in general-- this offering is brilliant.
Full, syrupy body, just exploding with tropical-fruity goodness and hops bite. The extra malt brings a lot to the table, yet the alcohols is not too overpowering. Finish is surprisingly smooth and easy, which makes this amazingly drinkable. I cannot say enough about this beer. The way the head retains and sticks to the glass is just awe-inspiring. I'm not even a huge Stone fan in general, so there's no agenda here. This is simply one of the best IPA / Double IPA's I've ever had, if not the best. And I've had most of the West Coast / Rocky Mountain region, plus a few from Vermont and New York.
Get this beer while you still can! Cheers!

To put it simple this beer is a 5/5 till it warms up. The high ABV is more dominant once the beer warms so it is best enjoyed cold. Once it warms up it becomes a 4.75/5. This is still an amazing beer to try. This company continues to produce quality beverages.

Ruination is THE beer that turned me into a hophead. A fresh bottle of Ruination is the best and most accessible DIPA in America. I was glad to see this in the beer cooler. From a 22oz bottle into my Darkness snifter. Not bottled on or freshness date, but it was just released so it is fresh.

Pours a beautiful burnt orange, properly hazed. A righteous two finger cream head that displayed the best retention and lacing I have seen in a beer of almost 11% ABV.

I have just died and gone to hop heaven. Deep, dank, resinous hops all over and of all types. Tropical fruits dominate, with some peach and melon. Floral and piney hops support. Zero malt. Zero alcohol. This is a true hop bomb.

This is some hardcore shit. Hop resins shock the mouth, but some sweet malt actually comes forth, followed by perceptible, but clean alcohol. The nose notwithstanding, this is pretty well balanced. The hop profile follows the smell and is seriously complex, hitting the whole spectrum of flavors, but there is enough malt and booze to balance it out and help clean the palate.

This is on the heavier side of medium, but the ample carbonation helps lighten it up. Bitter and dry but not in an overbearing way, especially for what this is. Super cold it is a bit harsh, but as it warms it becomes markedly smoother.

Overall this is a hop lovers dream. If this is in the IPA/DIPA spectrum, it is for sure a Triple IPA; if it is an Imperial IPA, it is the Emperor. Many have tried to push the IPA past the 10% mark and have ended up with an overly resinous and cloying mess. While I have never had Exponential Hoppiness, this is the best extreme IPA I've ever had. It is a hop bomb, yet there is actually so much more to the beer. The malt and alcohol come together and really put a level of balance that I have yet to see. With a year on this, it could actually become something like a double hopped Bigfoot. Every true hop lover needs to try this brew. 5/5. Cheers!

I love this beer! There are only a handful of great IPA ' that I have had the pleasure of drinking, and this is one of them. Rich color and gorgeous head. A powerful aroma and a great finish. Even with the big APV, it doesn't have an overwhelming alcohol feel

A: Poured from a bomber into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass. A dark amber color (darker than ruination). Great retention with great lacing. A beautiful looking beer indeed.

S: The smell of orange, grapefruit and pine combine for one truly amazing smell. This beer absolutely reeks!

T: Wow! A hop lover's delight for sure. The Columbus, Centennial and Citra hops smack you right in the face! Not surprising given the 5 pounds of hops per barrel the good people over at Stone used to brew this masterpiece. A strong bitter finish that definitely rivals Green Flash Palate Wrecker.

M: Medium syrupy body with great carbonation.

O: This beer truly is Ruination on steroids! This is an elite DIPA that rank in my top 5, right behind Pliny the Younger, Double Sunshine, Heady Topper and Pliny the Elder.

Appearance: crystal clear dark gold/amber with a beautiful white head. Quite well carbonated and therefore very bubbly. I had a good inch or so of head at first, though it settled down to about a centimeter after a few minutes.

Aroma: hops! Piney, resin notes with citrus at a minimum.

Taste: delicious fresh hop taste. Once again, the hops focus on pine and resin. The bitterness is not overpowering, though it is certainly noticeable. The malt lends good support to the hops while remaining firmly in the background.

Mouthfeel: highly carbonated, this beer tingles a little on the tongue.

Overall: a crisp double IPA with magnificent hop aromatics. This beer is really rather awesome, and a new personal favorite. The hop flavor is simply delectable.

At this moment, I believe this is the best double IPA ever brewed

Other brews may be more extremely hoppy, but this beer has the magic balance

It's a work of fine art, everything is perfectly balanced, in a tasteful, artistic way

I hope Ruination 2.0 is a further evolution of this excellent beer

Hands down the best IPA I have tasted. Surpasses Heady Topper in taste. The hops come through strong but not to the point where it turns bitter. The smell combines beautifully with the taste. Very well balanced character with a slight sweetness. Excellent work, once again Stone.

Like the Ruination, you cant ever go wrong with this beer!

Wow. Just wow. If your an IPA lover, and an DIPA lover, then you will love this beer. Out of a 2013 bottle that was shipped to me from a friend in San Diego. Poured into a tulip glass. Every single aspect of this beer is beautiful. Honestly if this beer was a chick I would marry her. If I had to choose one beer to drink the rest of my life it would be this one. The hops are so strong and the alcohol is so hidden yet I swear you feel buzzed after 3 drinks... This beer is excellent. The aftertaste is wonderful, like a sugary, hoppy, sweet, bitter taste which lingers forever.

The thing with this beer is to try and describe something wrong with it.. And I can't. Alcohol is hidden perfectly yet you can feel the warming but it's so pleasing. The bitterness is a lot sure but it fits in with the orange, citrus, grapefruit flavors perfect. Let's just say I feel like my life will be fulfilled the day I have this on draft.

Way to stay with tradition for this ten year celebratory edition. this is the best Stone mash up so far. Take time to enjoy every sip of this one boys. Hurry up to secure your supply now or take the pilgrimage to the Stone Brewery, well worth the trip, ask Howie.

A: A medium golden yellow with an ivory head that sticks around for the entire beer.

S: Amazing. There is an intense fresh pine and citrus aroma that comes off in the foreground of this beer. There is subtle sweetness and alcohol that follows.

T: The most balanced IPA I've ever had. There is intense grapefruit, pine, caramel, and citrus. There is almost no hint of the nearly 11% ABV. Despite doubling the hops from ruination this beer is not a hop bomb. It has the malty backbone to back it up.

M: Great. The high ABV gives is a nice texture and the carbonation in it is perfect.

O: Get this beer. This is one of my favorite Stone beers. Well balanced and very good.

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours dark orange copper with a large white head. Some tiny bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom and side of the glass. The head dissipates at a moderate pace, leaving some lacing on the glass. The big hop aromas hit the nose first. I pick up the citrus hop aromas, but the pine aromas are much more intense. There's a big caramel malt aroma as well. There is a gigantic hop flavor explosion in the mouth. The piney resin coats the tongue, bringing a large amount of hop bitterness. The citrus flavors come next as do the sweet malts. For the intensity of the hop flavors, this is extremely well-balanced. The alcohol does not come through in the flavor either. The body is full with moderate carbonation. For such a big style, this is dangerously easy to consume. This is an excellent beer that was well worth the hype.

First re-review, hoping to take much better notes. Bomber to a goblet, enjoy by 9/16

Pours a very rich dark gold, much redder and deeper than the regular ruination. A finger and a half of foam with impressive retention and lacing, along with some nice legs from the alcohol. Moderate carbonation from the middle and mild from the sides of the glass, 100% transparency. Bottle art is beautiful, nothing not to like

Smells of very dank and acrid hops- strong acidic grapefruit, akin to that of my cats litter box, along with a bouquet of other citrus, mostly lemon with some orange zest laid heavily on a foundation of pine. Sweet caramel malts compose a strong backbone that is very present yet complacent to the hops, and helps conceal most all the alcohol, leaving just a hint that compliments the bite this thing gives your nose. Incredibly rich and pungent, can't get enough of it

Taste is an explosion of hops- strong grapefruit, pine, lemon, passion fruit, along with a strong floral undertone. The hop profile comes together quite well, and all the flavors do a good job of accentuating each other. Just as in the aroma the malt comes through and does a great job of holding everything together. Sweet caramel finishes well with all the different flavors from the hops and is cemented with a splash of alcohol. Again, like in the aroma, very rich

Feel is pretty heavy, with a thicker and fuller body for an ipa. The finish, like the regular, finishes very dry, this one being much stickier and wrecking a lot more havoc on the palate. Bitterness is everything I want it to be, and the alcohol, while very present, doesn't drink very hot at all leaving a pleasant warmth. Like everything else, very rich. Easy to sip, but will catch up quick if you're not cautious

Overall this is the best beer I've had, and the only perfect score so far. I drink the regular Ruination four nights out of the week and credit it to being what got me into hops and craft beer, so this one's pretty special to me. Sentimental reasons aside, this is one of the richest, thickest, and hands down hoppiest ipas I've had, and imo beats Pliny the Younger. Extremely grateful they made much more this year, and really hoping they'll re-release it again in 2014.

Thank you Stone! Another reason you're my favorite brewery

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

Wow is this a great beer. The best IPA and probably the best beer I ever tasted. Almost a 5 on appearance. In fact a 5 when first poured, but it probably is just as good as all my other alltime favorites. I would have gave this a 5 total without review but it is a little pricey. That said, to date the best beer I ever tasted. Full body, great pour, great head, awesome taste, after taste even better and ABV a nice bonus. No I am not going to get into flavors and what not. This beer is delicious to my taste buds. So for me I could drink this everyday. Try it. Just my advice from a guy who likes beer from mass produced to the high end. Sorry I do not do the fancy reviews. Pour it, drink it rate it!

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Nice bronze color, whispy white head, dirty ringer...

S: Heavy citrus - grapefruit & orange. PINE!

T: BOOM! Hops in yo mouf!

F: Initial big hoppy bite that remains "sticky" even over the crisp finish.

O: Smashing example of an American IPA. Another example of Stone setting the bar. Good work Gents.

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

I very much looked forward to this beer and it didn't disappoint! Simply, this beer is phenomenal. I hope Stone makes this into a regular offering, maybe in 12oz bottles as it is a very big beer.

It starts with a great smell, it jumps out of the bottle.

The taste is amazing, the mouth goes through different stages as you take a sip. This beer coats the tongue like know other beer I have had.

The alcohol is well hidden, but no doubt this is a big beer.

I am not religious, but God Bless Stone :)! This is great stuff!

4.96/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Moderately see-through. Similar to any other IPA.

S: Sweetness, IPA characteristics, but sort of fruity.

T: Amazing. Sweet, very balanced. Hides the abv mazingly, hoppy yet not bitter.

M: Smooth. Nothing atypical of an IPA.

O: Fantastic IPA. Cannot go wrong. Highly highly recommend.. sweet, smooth, very very drinkable. One of best IPA's on my books... go out and get this.. (costco, at least on the west coast, has this for about $5 which is a steal for the bomber!!). Great job Stone!!!

4.96/5  rDev +15.1%

Wow. Just wow… That was my reaction last year when I had this magnificent brew. And even more so now. My palate has become much more refined, and enjoys a lot more brews then when I had this last year…. but god damn.

Stone, you incredible bastards have done it again. I know you used last years recipe, but this beer is epic. 5 pounds of hops into each barrel… and you can tell. This one slaps your tongue from first SMELL, not even taste. This beer has an aroma. If I could find a way to make this scent into a candle, my wife would kill me.

It poured a gorgeous dark orange with a nice hazy head on it. I poured it into my Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary glass that I bought last year.

It’s really hard to explain this beer, but only because its hops through and through. It’s a hop bomb to your nose before you take a sip, then one to your tongue… then again in the finish. BUT, it’s done with refinement that only a solid West Coast IPA can pull off. There’s something about those Californians that just have the perfect IPA down.

Needless to say, if you are a hop head… why are you still reading this, no seriously… go buy this. You won’t regret it.

4.96/5  rDev +15.1%

Love this beer, sucks its seasnoal

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Absolutely everything about this release is world class. From the amazing deep orange coloring capped off by snowy white peaks of head this just hums on every cylinder. The nose is Citra dominated hops, so intense and gorgeous. The taste profile slides in in perfect unison, citrus fruits, mango, and pineapple dominate. The mouth is a balancing act of sweet malting and uber bitter hopping, 110 IBU that is so well balanced it's amazing. Not just the best brew Stone has ever made, one of the best DIPA ever made, an absolute joy to sip and savor.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow, this is beer is pure ecstacy. This is like Citra on steroids with so much flavor and pure hop joy. One of the best DIPA I have ever had. I can't believe Stone this is going to be a limited release. This beer is dangerously smooth at 10% abv, I drank this bomber in under an hour. If I were to nitpick I would say that there is a tiny tiny lingering alcohol mouthfeel but it is pretty well hidden.

Please Stone, make this beer year round. Perfect beer.

22 Oz bomber 2012 Limited
Poured into a snifter

I got the last two at the sixth beer store I checked

A- Pours incredibly hazy golden orange. It had a half a finger off a slightly off white head that didn't stick around long at all. Left behind some impressive alcohol legs.

S- Holy Moses, this beer wreaks. Insane hop profile, there's a sweet assault of citrus notes, A ton of pineapple, mango, lemon, grapefruit, some pine in there as well. An onslaught of hop glory, this is not a well balanced IPA at all.

T- A massive bitterness up front and I mean massive. It takes a while for the flavors to set in over all the bitter mayhem. This beer has a malty backbone cleverly hidden under a mountain of glorious hops. It is sweet, there is some caramel and a little breaddyness. This beer is however about hops, and its incredibly intense. All the above mentioned citrus notes make a full scale appearance. It also has some resinous, skunky hop flavors and a great deal of pine. I cant taste any alcohol. A hop forward beer is an understatement.

M- BITTER, extremely, which I love but is so intense that It may cover up some of the beers flavors. Other then that, this beer is actually pretty easy drinking for an IPA drinker. Its bitter, full bodied, slightly warming and pretty easy going for a monster.

O- If Ruination ruins palates, I think a fitting name for this beer should be Annihilation. I hope stone decides to put this on a once a year release schedule. This is a hop heads deity.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a bomber. Beautiful Hazy orange with a nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is a big citrus hop bomb that lights up a nice grin. Feel the alcohol a little too much. Everything about this beer is world class, the alcohol needs to be hidden just a tad but overall a fantastic beer. Get them while they last.

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.