Stone RuinTen Triple IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPAStone RuinTen Triple IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen Triple IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 854 | Hads: 5,628
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap from the brewery and was blown away. It pours a darker amber color but with the glass at your waste, you can smell the awesome coming from this beer. Grapefruit was the first to hit my nose, then the pine and clove like hints following. I have been lucky enough to find plenty Pliny the Elder offerings but this one has it beat in my opinion. I bought a bottle just to do a sanity check and further verified my initial opinion. This beer is outstanding. The only somewhat downfall is that it is pretty heavy in the mouthfeel department. Stone has outdone themselves with this one. I'll take this over the Enjoy By any day. Not to say Enjoy By is slacking but the Ruin Ten is a step above anything I've had from them.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

- Nice deep orange/red color to the brew. Pours nice with a massive, foamy head. Great lacing in the glass as well.

- Huge nose on this one with godly amounts of citrus hop scent and dashes of grapefruit and caramel.

- Nothing else to say about this bad boy except that the flavor is perfect in my opinion for the style. Huge juicy hop flavors up front mixed with bready sweetness and a dank, resiny wallop that sticks to your tongue. Finishes out very clean with a nice, dry sweetness. Extremely easy-drinking for the ABV, little to no alcohol heat or presence.

Mouth Feel:

- Resiny and smooth, with a bitterness that sticks around in the mouth for a good long while. Medium carbonation and very mellow.

- Hard to say that any beer is perfect, but this is about as close as it gets for me in this style. On par with other top huge DIPAs out there, including Pliny. Dangerously drinkable and extremely tasty, all of the great features of this brew meld into something that is really special. I wish they'd make this a regular staple.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Amazing beer from an amazing brewer.

Pours a beautiful dark rich orange color with a two finger head.

Aromas of pineapple and grapefruit waft your nose as you take a drink.

Amazing mango pineapple taste with a hint of grapefruit and malt.

Mouthfeel is heavy and sweet. Tons of citrus flavor and bite.

Probably the best double IPA I have ever had. 10% ABV but you wouldn't know it by taste.

Be careful with this beauty.

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

absolutely hands down my favorite beer. perfect color, aroma filled with delightful dankness with a nice bite on the front end followed up with a fruit/ pine bitterness you would expect from a double. from me its a 5 all the way

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Highly sought after beer. I was traveling to the USA, so the time frame was just ok for me to be able to grab a bottle of this limited release. Thanks To the Winooski Beverage Warehouse for keeping a bottle for me!

This beer pours amber orange in colour, hazy, and forming a large, thick, white creamy head.

N: Fragrances are literally BURSTING out of the glass, wow! You can smell it from a few feet away! Pink pineapple dominates here and it is strong. Mandarine/Orange pulp, Mango, Watermellon, Cannabis and pine needles. Mouthwatering, exquisite!!! Certainly one of the best smells ever encountered for a beer.

M&T: Medium to Full bodied, Carbonation is perfect for this DIPA. Not as stringent as expected from the tons of hops used in this brew. Feels a bit oily. Herbal tones from the hops are present. Bitterness is aggressive right from the start, persist for an eternity and it’s damn good! I find this 10th anniversary version a bit more balanced than the regular one, probably because of more malt used. It gives a sweeter (if I can say so!) side and brings interesting notes of biscuit dough. Earthyness feeling in the middle of tasting and finishes on a peppery side. Flavours of pink pineapple dominates, citrus pulp, biscuit, watermelon on the sweet side.

Overall: For me this one is exceptional, world-class! A rare exemple of a near-perfect DIPA. Of course, ones will surely not like it because it tends to be way over the top for newbies, but for hopheads, it is a must. As it was not intended to replace the regular Ruination, I can’t compare it directly with it, but it is an amazing version of it. This 10th anniversary edition is a perfect example of what great brewers can do. I wish that this is not a one-timer! Amazing...

Thanks Evan/Jen.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

a) little head, with little retention, small amount of lacing. clear orangey amber in color with light carbonation.

s) resinous hops with some sweetness, hints of citrus and florals.

t) intense resinous hops, but hides the 10.8% alcohol pretty well. well balanced flavors.

m) still intense but surprisingly light in the mouth, thin and smooth overall with a coarse hops bite up front.

o) good, flavorful, and surprisingly easy to drink for being strong. i want to enjoy every sip.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Well Stone, you have done it again. I thought you peaked with Enjoy By but I guess I was wrong. This beer is absolutely amazing. It's a Kung Fu kick to the palate. So much hop goodness and all balanced out by enough sweet malt to keep you coming back for more. If you are a fan of aggressively hoped DIPA's or just want to drink one of the best beers in the world, do yourself a favor and seek this out. You will not regret it. The best part is you will be drunk off of one bottle!

4.81/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured chilled in an ale glass chez White

A: medium amber color; fantastic lacing; medium head; modest carbonation
S: malt, hops--very intensive, sweet, and lingering
T: crazy bundle of hops and malt, with overtones of bubblegum; very complex, very intense flavor; one of the most delicious IPAs I've had; flavor lingers long

Unbelievable. Get it. Buy a second.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Let it be known, this is the first Stone beer I've had since my first encounter with Arrogant Bastard some years ago. I remember being completely off-put by the strong flavor and even as my taste has developed, I've been apprehensive to try this one...

But then, it came up at my work for no more than the regular Ruination, and knowing that it's a special batch and won't be around long, I decided to pull the trigger and buy it.

One thing is for certain though -- I'm glad my palate has developed enough to appreciate this beer, because it is fantastic. Let's review...

A - Poured from a 22oz bomber in to a 14oz Widmer chalice. Darker than expected with a nice rich orange/amber color. The head is nice and about a finger tall.

S - The added maltiness is definitely present in the nose with aromas of bread primarily. Also: obviously, hops. It smells fantastic. Citrusy and a little sweet in the hop aromas, plus pretty fresh. It's been in my fridge for about a week but I know it's not very old so that helps.

T - There's a tiny bit of malt in the sip but as soon as this beer fills your mouth, it's hops all the way. Dank, citrusy, sweet and bitter hops. Minimal alcohol in the taste, impressive for a beer that's nearly 11%. Very well made, especially hoppy but not excessively so. Certainly not your typical one-dimensional hop palate attack. Lingering bitterness sticks in your mouth for the aftertaste, begging you to take another sip...

M - About medium, well carbonated without being excessive. Crisp and a little dry, another characteristic that makes you want to take another drink.

O - Overall this is a fantastic beer and if you enjoy IPAs of any description it's worth checking out. I feel, too, that it was a great way to re-introduce myself to Stone brewery now that my palate is more refined. It's definitely a hop-lover's kind of beer, and one you won't regret buying.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I saw that first box of RuinTen sitting right out in the open at the entrance to the liquor store, I stopped in my tracks and stood still in a mystefied stupor. It must have just been my imagination at work, fabricating the RuinTen label on what was actually just plain old Ruination... but it was no dream. The beer I was holding in my hand later that evening (at cellar temperature and poured into a snifter, of course), was none other. However, the experience I was soon to partake in would be UNREAL.

Ahem... An illuminescent honey orange color. Totally transparent, and with a fleeting one-finger white head. It looked good, but as of yet there were no indications of what was to follow...

As I put my nose up to the snifter, the ecstacy began. I met an explosion of tropical fruits - orange, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. And of COURSE, it smells like HOPS. As if one of Stone's DIPA's WOULDN'T smell hoppy... There is a sweet honey or caramel scent too.

The taste...? An atomic hop bomb. It's just so tremendously intense with hops that it almost feels acidic! Much like Ruination, it has a strong pine character, but it has a more malty finish that differs quite a bit from the CLEAN finish of Ruination. This finishes DIRTY. And I like it. As for other dimensions, it also tastes of resinous plant matter and has a burst of orange flavor. It's a perfect meld that provides something different from the aroma, but also compliments it PERFECTLY. I'm not tasting the 10.8% ABV at ALL, and the following I can say with with certainty: this is the absolute hoppiest beer I've ever had (and probably the bitterest). It is quite simply the epitome of hoppiness.

It has a thicker body than Ruination, the better to support its thicker hop flavor. Carbonated splendidly.

Why did they have to make it so delicious? It's so incredibly, amazingly good that I have trouble restraining myself from drinking it too fast. This is a dangerous high-ABV weapon to be used against lovers of hops like myself. It's the kind of beer I would see mirages of if I was lost in a desert and wandering deliriously across the dunes under a scorching sun. Thank goodness the ones I saw at the store were real. The best DIPA I've ever had? I think so, yes.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - A deep orange/amber with a thick, creamy head.

S - Tropical fruits, sweet citrus/grapefruit, slightly piney/resiny. Awesome.

T - Strong grapefruit and pine with a nice malty, hoppy, bitter finish. The grapefruit lingers as well.

M - Super smooth, medium body. Goes down nicely.

O - Fantastic. A big, bold but superbly balanced DIPA. I'm gonna say it: just as good as Heady Topper.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Trying for the first time. Has unbelievable taste. Hop forward but doesn't kill you wih hops. Great citrus. Color. Head. Aroma is one of the best. Standout beer of 2014. Wishing I could have had earlier loved loved loved it. Must have

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased 2 bottles of this and couldn't help but drink both in one evening.

A - Cloudy amber in color with a bright white head that shrunk and left just a small line of suds. The lacing is very nice and attractive.

S - Fresh hops along with fresh tropical fruits. I get some grapefruit, passion fruit and pineapple.

T - Very nice bitter hoppiness that is balanced out by a sweet and subtle malt backbone along with the tropical hop flavors. You can taste the alcohol a bit but not much to be honest. For 10.8 percent this is well done.

M - Syrupy yet smooth and a bit oily. As some might say a bit chewy but easy to drink.

O - I am very impressed and actually like this one better than the regular Ruination. I saw some reviews that said this was too malty but I don't get that at all. This to me is a spot on example of a great west coast DIPA. Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Light, clear orange with blonde highlights when backlit and a creamy ivory cap that leaves sheets of sticky lace on the glass. The aroma is amazing, caramel slathered toast, pine sap and grapefruit zest all harmoniously working together to enhance the flavors of the hops and malt. Sticky pine tar, slight alcoholic heat and candied grapefruit peel with sticky caramel and a resinous, salty hop bitterness in the finish. Hop oily mouthfeel with mild carbonation. A big tasty hop bomb. Buy this beer, it is fantastic.

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Looked amber like Jurassic park fossil things in the movie

S-Smells good

T- Like an amazing thick resiny sack of delicious amazing bitter yet also sweet piney goodness malts

M- So much thicker than my normal IPAs definitely well carbonated

I really really enjoy this IPA

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 6/19/2014. Review Date: 7/5/2014.

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear copper color with two fingers worth of an orange/white head. Good lacing retention, head recedes to a thin layer. Moderate level of carbonation.

Smell: Intense citrus and pine aromas. Grapefruit and orange peel. A bit of a tropical fruit sweetness (pineapple) as well. Dank, earthy characters among a floral quality. A slightly sweet malty aroma on the finish blends well with the initial hop quality. Fantastic smelling IPA.

Taste: Massive bitterness. Pine/earthy hops fade into the citrus fruit flavors. A bit of a tropical/stone fruit sweetness underlies the initial burst of bitterness. Hints of the malt backbone poke out along the tongue. Finish is bitter until cut by a slight sweetness, like a lightly sugared piece of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium body to this one. Strong bitterness prevails along the tongue, lingering, tingling and numbing the senses and aftertaste. No alcohol presence.

Overall: Simply a massive IPA. Excellent to drink if you enjoy putting your tongue through the rigors. Great stuff, and the fresher you can get it, the better. Should be available if you can get Stone beers in your area, and at $7.99 per bomber (locally), it's worth giving the mouth some exercise. Would highly recommend.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. Clear, medium dark amber color, nice thick head, malty, citurs, hop hop hop hop hop smell. Taste is amazing. For a triple IPA its smooth, enjoyable, other beers try to be this beer and Stone does it again and lives up to their reputation. Cheers!

22oz bottle into a couple of russian river goblets

Pours a delightful honey golden color with a bubbly eggshell white head.

Heavy pine and citrus smell that awakens your nose. Blends into a sweet honey and lemon

Goes in with a lot of might. Heavy earthy taste slowly turbs into a wonderfully hoppy bitterness. Finishes with just a tinge of sweetness

Not too overbearing. Definitely a treat to be savored

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, best by 9/12/13. Pours a bright yellow orange, with a beautiful one head, amazing retention and coats the glass with lace. Smell is huge pine, mango, tangerine, apricot, and grapefruit. Taste is all of that and punches you in the face with grapefruit in finish and lingers on the tongue. Body is large, plenty of life, a bit dry like its son, and very approachable for its heft. This isn't for everyone, but I love this beer! All self proclaimed hop head must try.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dark rust orange in color, looks menacing, but delicious!

Smells strongly of citrus and a wonderful burn of hops.

Flavors of orange, grapefruit, and piney hops explode at first contact, delightful.

Straight hop bomb.

Definitely in my top 10, but they never do disappoint so my list is pretty long!

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 5 East Unearthly West RuinTEN

Overall it came down to personal preferance which to me I enjoyed unearthly a little bit better... stone was a cleaner nice hoppyness and bitterness with a sweet malt back to it.. it was absolutely glorious... I will definitely be buying it again next year. RuinTEN placed 6th out of ten spots.

Original review 4.8

Bottle said: enjoy by 9/12/13 drinking on 7/2/13... that's about right...
Drink hoppy beers as fresh as you can... reject old ones.

Poured into Sniffer glass...

Niiice 1 1/2 finger bone white head..super thick... lacing just stayed on the glass like it was glue... did not move... super clear amber reddish hue that was crystal clear with bubbles dancing to the top. The best looking dipa I've seen yet.

Smell was on the okay side, more hop forward than citrusy but overall a great smell.

Taste was out of this world like all of stones IPA's... very hoppy bite at first that absolutely takes over everything... slight citrus but mostly hop oriented tastes. Alcohol is more prevalent in the taste than any other stone ipa I've had but I like it.... nothing annoying or overpowering but it's there.

Completely smooth crisp ending with hop smack all over the aftertaste...

Overall a phenomenal IPA but I'd give a slight nod to the enjoy by ipa from stone... very slight... still liked it better then the reunition one.. a definite must try

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a clear reddish amber.

The aroma is beautifully fruit forward of ripe peaches, mango, sweet caramel candy along with an underlying dank, pungent garlicky, spicy pine quality.

The front attacks of fresh green herbals and bitter vegetal qualities, almost like endive. Hints of sweet citrus and tropical. Very clean without much of a malt body or sweetness. A spicy, floral, and pine driven back end of bitterness. A bit of that dank and onion quality. No sense of the alcohol, but with decent warming as it goes down.

Easily one of the best “triple” IPAs out there and quite possibly the best hoppy beers accessible on the shelves.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed a bomber of this at The Neighborhood in San Diego a week ago. Review from notes.

Pours a glowing amber red with a persistent eggshell head. Scads of lace drape the glass. The aroma is strongly grapefruity with lots of tropical fruit and pine notes as well. Malts are pretty much AWOL in the nose. The taste follows suit with a massive wall of mouthcoating pine tar hops. Tropical fruit notes and white grapefruit skin show as well, as does some aspiriny bitterness. The malt profile is restrained, but adds a lot of complexity. Its doughy and bready. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation and plenty of pucker from all the bitterness. The finish lasts forever and is very bitter. Alcohol heat is fleeting, impressively well hidden.

This beer doesn't dissapoint, even though its not the freshest of the fresh at this point. Massive hops, balanced with just enough malts. Hopheads need to try this.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Hop explosion is a description I'll reuse here as it works! Pours a beautiful deep golden color that is mostly clear - surprising at this strength... but it looks hearty! A moment after removing the cap the intense amount of hops used to brew this beer found my nose a couple feet away within seconds. Needless to say the aroma at closer inspection for fans of hops is nothing short of amazing - fruity, floral, piney. I love hoppy beers but often save them for later in the session. Not so here with this rarity to find on the east coast. I'm enjoying each and every sip. Initially fridge cold this beer tingled the back of my throat and as the beer warms a bit more alcohol is detectable. Awesome beer!!

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serve by me...at home...out of a Bomber in a Dogfish Head IPA glass. Got this bottle back in early July 2012....aged it in near cellar conditions. ( cool corner of my closet)

Appearance: Pours a mid to dark amber color with a white, thick frothy head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: strong aged malt characteristics. Strong citrus and gentle pine nose. Some booziness. Still a decent hop nose after almost 8 months.

Taste: aged malt for sure. Very light caramel and I suspect some biscuit malt maybe...would explain the fantastic head. This is what I want a strong Imperial IPA..hell even a hoppy barleywine to taste.

Mouthfeel: the slightest of a chew...like a Barleywine almost...very noticeable booze bite and still a decent hop finish...they must of used a lot of citras.(IMO) Balance comes to mind.

Overall: a great beer. I'm surprised it aged this well in less than 8 months...I'd expect these characteristics from a year+ old Hog Heaven or Hopsickle...reminds me of the two year old 120 I had last year.(less boozy of course)

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA from Stone Brewing Co.