1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,244 | Reviews: 639 | Show All Ratings:
kojevergas

2.51/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

10.8% confirmed. Bottle acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop on Saturday. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and posh etched label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are actually high even though I despise Stone; I've heard some pretty good things about this one.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and great retention (~7+ minutes) for the high ABV. Frothy, silky, and appealing. Body colour is a surprisingly hazy murky orange-copper. Tangerine orange, if you will. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Carbonation bubbles are visible in usual quantities; carbonation seems fine. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. I'm actually fairly impressed with the appearance, though the lack of clarity and translucence has taken me off-guard.

Sm: Hop character is generic floral with light grapefruit, some nectary notes, and some pine. But what catches my attention is not the hops; it's the overdone milky sweetness. Nectary and sticky and too prominent for the style. They definitely doubled the malt to compensate for the hops, but I don't know that they did it well judging by the aroma. I don't detect any yeasty notes or alcohol. A messy aroma of moderate strength. The emphasis is in the wrong place and there doesn't seem to be any balance - but hey, it's Stone.

T: Some wretched grapefruit with an overly sweet malty foundation that really destroys all balance - especially in the third act, where I'm left with a milky rotted tangerine character that lingers off the finish. Blech. Some nice juicy citrus up front, but it's quickly destroyed by the poor malt build. I don't know which pale malts they selected, but they're not doing it for me here. Amarillo or columbus would have been much better hop choices. Hop character lacks diversity, depth of flavour, or evocative quality. Overdone caramel contributes to the third act nightmare. Butterscotch. Cream. It's like it becomes a crappy saison in the third act, but without the accompanying spice - just milkiness and caramel malt. Alcohol does come through, but it's well hidden for the most part - and besides, it's the least of the problems here. To be honest, the flavour isn't that bad in the opening act; the grapefruit is a bit more overt and the maltiness hasn't gone rogue yet. But the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is wretched. Another mess from Stone brewing. Pineapple hits on the climax. Maybe some clove? Who cares. It's complex without any balance or subtlety; any homebrewer can dump a bunch of ingredients in, but it takes a master to control them. This tastes like a homebrewer got control of some fancy toys.

Mf: Smooth. Wet. A bit creamy - a strange and out of place attribute for an Imperial IPA. Good carbonation - a highlight of this beer. Presence on the palate is poor; it overwhelms. I wouldn't say it ruins; it's just a mess dumped on your tongue.

Dr: Another mess from Stone that fails to impress. I wish I loved this like others do, but to me it's just more testament to the ineptitude of Stone's brewers. Why I keep buying their beer I don't know. I guess I keep hoping I'll come across one that's great. I definitely wouldn't get this again; more for all of you. I'll be sticking to Alpine's IPAs. To this beer's credit, the ABV doesn't come through as much as you'd expect; I'd peg it for about 8% if it were a blind taste. I wouldn't call it drinkable, but I won't have any trouble killing this bomber alone. Disappointed. I hope the Enjoy By waiting in my fridge is better.

Low C-

02-27-2013 05:11:16 | More by kojevergas
lostinfla

2.76/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottle to a Sam Adams glass. Had high expectations from the reviews of the 2013 bottle and Arrogant Bastard was quite impressive.
This ones not my cup of tea though. Great color and head , but the smell was actually spicy to my senses. Product was orange opaque, but the solids were very fine ad and did not take way from the mouthfeel.
The spice flavor was present in the first several sips, with a bit more sweetness than I care for in a beer.
Well made - just not one for me...

11-23-2013 03:05:30 | More by lostinfla
HomeBrewed

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A very overrated beer IMO. I was expecting a hop bomb and received a malt bomb with a lot of hops added. I don't know how else to put it, but it tastes like an old DIPA. Very disappointing. Not much else to say. I would not waste my money again. Ruination and the regular IPA are much better.

07-02-2013 02:21:04 | More by HomeBrewed
Thorpe429

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

Reviewed from notes. Bottle from Rick’s in Alexandria. Served in a Stone goblet. Pours a moderate golden color with a nice white head. The nose is an overload of citrus hops and a bit of pine. From there, it goes downhill. The flavor is indeed quite hoppy and fairly nice, but it’s also fairly boozy, which is an unpleasant sensation when combined with the extreme bitterness. Definite heat there. Not very drinkable.

01-09-2013 03:17:58 | More by Thorpe429
justintcoons

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a tulip.

Appearance
Golden amber with 3 fingers of fluffy head. Excellent clarity and head retention. Low carbonation.

Nose
Sugary caramel, pineapple, grapefruit, pine needles, lemon zest onion and nail polish remover.

Taste
Resinous pine, grapefruit zest and lemon zest. Killer floral and perfume like hops. Some thin caramel and bready malts. Efforts of tangerine and pineapple gets lost among the bitterness. A lot of grapefruit. A lot of pine. A lot of onion.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, oily, bitter, sticky and dry.

Overall
Hop water. Why should I have expected anything else? Sure, it's a palate wrecker. Congrats. Don't expect anything past astringent pine, grapefruit, perfume and onion.

I don't get it. If you're looking ONLY for hop bitterness, this is for you. If you want a classy DIPA with juicy citrus and/or tropical fruits, go elsewhere.

To all the morons giving this a perfect score, get off BA!

08-25-2012 21:07:48 | More by justintcoons
champ103

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

On tap at several place around Houston. Cottonwood and Hay Merchant most recently.

A: Pours a dark golden/orange color with a bit of haze. A two finger white head forms, and recedes after a few minutes. Sticky lace is left down the glass.
S: Burnt caramel malt, resiny pine, and a lingering grapefruit bitterness last forever. Not much else in the nose.
T: Like the nose, burnt caramel malt, and sugar which quickly fades to the intense resiny and bitter hops. Resiny tree sap, piny hops, and grapefruit bitterness. Plenty of solvent like alcohol.
M/D: A full body with moderate carbonation. Sticky, syrupy, and resinous. Hot, solvent alcohol, and an intense hoppy bitterness. Which means, it is something I am not particularly interested in.

I don't get the love for this one. Really one dimensional, and Enjoy By is worlds better. As well as many great locally made Texas DIPA's I will take in a heart beat over this. Let alone the classics like Pliny.

07-23-2013 02:35:46 | More by champ103
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -27.4%

Bottle. Slightly hazy gold pour with smallish white head. Aroma is hoppy, menthol, some stinky onion, not particularly enticing. Taste is oniony, wet, really bitter. Not much tropical fruits and pine, lots of bitterness and alcohol. Really not what I was expecting. A bitter disappointment to say the least.

12-07-2012 19:44:20 | More by Luk13
DMatsu

Oregon

3.19/5  rDev -26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful red hue and thin, lightly foamy head. Smells like the catbox. Scoopable clay litter. That's not a condemnation, it's just a fact. Stanky, sticky icky icky. Tastes like a hoppy punch in the eye, and that's a GOOD thing. Nice bitterness, and full bodied hop flavor. A robust beer that is a great way to finish an evening, because at 10.80 ABV, you won't be able to hang too long. Drink the swill, then treat your palate to the full frontal skank of Ruin Ten!

Serving type: growler

07-07-2013 03:58:42 | More by DMatsu
beertunes

Washington

3.21/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear coppery gold color with about 1/4 inch of off-white head that that had good retention and left OK lacing.

The aroma started off with a really sweet malt scent, followed up by some nice pine hops. But then, then a strong alcohol scent took over and dominated the entire olfactory aspect. The beer followed a pretty similar path across the tongue. Sweet malts at first, some piney hops, then big alcohol. The alcohol took over and gave a sharp burn at the back. After the heat passed, those nice hops lingered for a while at the rear of the palate.

The body was a bit more full than is generally seen in the style, and had a bit of bitter finish. Drinkability was hurt by the harsh alcohol taste (although, I did end up drinking 3 in a row, so there's that). Overall, a decent enough brew, one worth trying if you see it, but don't get anxious if you miss it.

07-11-2013 17:37:53 | More by beertunes
LarryV

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a nice deep amber color with a minimal head. Smell is all hops, you know what you're in for. There's a sweetness in the back with the hoppiness in the front, but balance is totally missing. For me, it was a bit of a chore to drink - I'm glad I tried it but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again.

07-05-2013 02:45:51 | More by LarryV
jtierney89

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Clear orange glow and two fingers of white super tight sticky head. you can smell this ting from a mile away. Tons of grapefruit and pine. Lots of hop resin. Touch of alcohol and some sticky malts. Super thick body, syrupy almost.

Bright hop flavors throughout. Not as bitter as regular ruination, a lot more balance here from the high malt content. Lots of bitter citrus peel flavors throughout this beer. While the beer has more balance than ruination, there is still a lot of building bitterness. Pine and grapefruit, very classic west coast ipa flavors with lots of sticky sweetness beneath it all to balance. Finishes with a touch of alcohol heat. I think I prefer regular ruination. Definitely a palate ruiner and wont really go with most foods but it's good. Not as special as I thought it would be though. Malt adds a stickyness that takes away from the hops just a bit unlike something like a terrapin hopzilla.

08-14-2013 01:39:45 | More by jtierney89
cnbrown313

3.38/5  rDev -21.6%

I had a tough time finding this, but once I did, I was happy that it was only $8. However, it wasn't as impressive to drink (for me) as it was hard to find.

A - Pours golden brown with a small off white head that fades pretty quickly. It pretty much looks like the the standard Ruination.

S - Obviously, the immediate smell that hits you is the massive amount of hops. Piny and grapefruit smelling.

T - As you would expect, the hops hit you right away and begin to "scorch your palate." Grapefruit and pine flavors dominate. I'm a fan of big DIPA's, but this was a little too bitter for me an unbalanced. I would have liked to have tasted more malt or a little added sweetness. But as a "hop scorcher" - this beer succeeds.

M - The carbonation is alright and the hops feel nice on the palate.

O - For $8, this is definitely worth picking up to try, especially if you are a hop lover. I'm glad I had one, but I had the chance to buy a 2nd and turned it down.

07-06-2012 14:26:34 | More by cnbrown313
Farewell_Transmission

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A. Good color, Deep and Amber

S. Nice strongly hopped smell. Citrus I would call it.

T. This is where I found this beer a little off. I can taste the strong bite of alcohol, and it is not
a good things. Still better then a lot of beers.

m. Good Mouthfeel.

o. I would not buy this again, bunch better beers for the price.

07-05-2013 23:28:37 | More by Farewell_Transmission
GRG1313

3.45/5  rDev -20%

First, let me say that this is a good beer. However, I'm not sure why it has received the tremendously high scores it's received.

Appearance is good with a clear amber orange and a nice, albeit short lived, white thin head.

Nose is lovely and best part. Very assertive fresh ripe pineapple that just couldn't be more inviting.

Mouthfeel is medium creamy but a bit light on carbonation. I'd like more carbonation to balance the huge (although somewhat dull) hop bitterness in the taste/flavor profile.

Taste is where this one loses me. Not bad in that there is a big assertive hop bitterness. The trouble is that the bitterness has no brightness at all.

(I actually just also had a Zombie Dust which blew this one away in all respects, having the brightness of what I believe is Citra hops. Yes, I know that ZD is considered a different style but it drinks better in all respects, for example only, than this "designated" IPA).

In any event, the taste of this one is one dimensional - i.e., dull and boring bitter with no character; no charm and nothing really appealing.

Finish is equally dull bitter with low and flabby bitter tones.

I love big hoppy beer; big hoppy beer that is "bright" and more acidic, for lack of a better word. This is a decent beer but only a bit better than average. JMO

06-28-2012 06:06:22 | More by GRG1313
TWHartman

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

A- light amber, good clarity, slightly off white head that has great retention, lots of lace

S- orange citrus, oily, malt sweetness, alcohol

T- citrus, touch too much of crystal malt, finishing with substantial resiny/oily hop bitterness and smooth alcohol warmth. I can no longer taste anything but the oily hop finish

M- Quite thick, full body, chewy

O- A nice experience, but too much alcohol and palate destruction to make this something I'll reach for again

08-19-2013 02:39:30 | More by TWHartman
Sean9689

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

22oz bottle at TomG's place into Narke tulip.

A - Pours a mirky golden yellow, white head, spotty lace.

S - Pine, citrus, resin, toasted bread. Tons & tons of hops...really juicy and big. Alcohol is noticeable on the nose...pretty boozy for a DIPA, a little too much.

T - The hops destroys the palate, bruising! Lots of citrus, orange peel, resinous, and pine. Pretty sweet as well. Alcohol is too up front at this point...needs to be hidden a bit better. Finish is all hops and some boozy sweetness.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, oily finish.

O - I personally think this beer is over-hopped, overly boozy, and over-hyped. It's all just a bit too much in every category for me. There's so many other (better) DIPA's out there that I'd rather have over this beer...too many.

07-17-2012 01:48:35 | More by Sean9689
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

22 ounce bottle - $7.49 at Charlie's Beer and Wine in Marietta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a dark orange-gold body with nearly two inches of near white foam.

Smell: Pointedly aromatic with some harsh resins, cutting florals, pure citrus oils, and enough alcohol to shrivel the nostrils. I was hoping for beautiful, for vivaciousness. Instead, it's just harsh. Some soften hints of overcooked sugar cookies and toasted grain do little to round it out.

Taste: A mercurial dose of sugar cookies, toasty grains. Then, alcohol and throat-scalding resins. Sip of pure citrus juices. A tad caustic. The bitterness is very high, and it's this bitterness along with the alcohol to angrily shoves you towards the burning finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. A bit of beefiness to the mouthfeel. Just a bit.

Overall: I feel like a champ for getting halfway through this thing!

07-29-2012 16:24:37 | More by ChainGangGuy
Shumania

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter

a: clear amber/orange color, lots of lacing, some carbonation

s: sweet citrus notes, tangerine

t: starts off same as the smell, some spicy hops in there, and has a sweet and boozy finish

m: you can sense the booze in there and its on the cloying side

This one was underwhelming to me. There isn't enough kick in the smell and this is on the sweeter side of DIPAs

06-29-2013 00:54:03 | More by Shumania
Kegatron

3.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle. 2013 Edition. Pours a clear copper with a rigid and slightly off-white colored head. This leaves behind rich sudsy lacing that sticks. The aroma has a strong herbal and piney presence with some underlying zesty green citrus character. Bready malt is pronounced along the back and gives this some thickness in the nostrils. The herbal flavors get stronger as this warms. The taste is sweet (and a little boozy) with malt and warmth. Heady herbal flavors drive this but there are some more aggressive notes of resins and fresh bitterness that run down the middle of the tongue and really hang in the finish. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied with a slick creamy feel and a bit of crispness that pops in the mouth. That alcohol is strong here, even getting a little stinging in spots. I really wanted to like this more but it ultimately just got to be a little too medicinal feeling with its boozy sweetness and strong herbal character.

08-05-2013 21:20:55 | More by Kegatron
raynmoon

3.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

bottled 7/08/13, so moderately fresh, kept room temperature at Hollingshed's in Santa Ana. LOVE that place.

a: beautiful autumn gold and a small tight head that lingers around and sticks to the glass, crystal clear. Small bubbles slowly making their way to the top of the glass.

s: smells just like my homebrewed pale ale and Port's mongo. You get tangerine, tangerine, tangerine. It's like a musty orange peel aroma, sweetness. No pine detected.

t: medium bitterness, alcohol heat, some tangerine. Bitterness and alcohol start to linger towards the end. meh.

mf: medium to heavy body, almost syrupy. Too heavy for the style, give it a month and it will be an American Barleywine.

overall: dissapoint and do not understand the hype, you can tell when an IPA is just past it's peak and seems to have more potential, but this one is just too heavy. I don't mind the heaviness, but it's "chewy" and syrupy and hot. Enjoy By is much better.

similar in taste: Ballast Point Dorado Double

08-09-2013 05:56:45 | More by raynmoon
jethrodium

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

On tap. Pours a clear golden amber with a small white head that settles to ring and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass . The aroma is pine, citrus, booze, and caramel with sweetness apparent in the aroma. The initial taste is quite sweet with a bit of pine, caramel, and grapefruit. The finish is boozy with a bit of bitterness. Medium body. Low carbonation. A bit too sweet and boozy, but that’s not surprissing with a beer of this size.

07-18-2012 21:07:29 | More by jethrodium
ChrisKayler

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Glass: Tired Hands Stemmed Glass.

Appearance: Orange, copper, slightly red. Mostly clear. 1/2 finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly.

Smell: Grapefruit first, followed by hop bitterness and, sadly, alcohol!

Taste: Extreme bitterness with alcohol very present. Grapefruit is found within at all times.

Mouthfeeel: Medium body with medium-high carbonation. A bit too carbonated for me, and the body was a bit thick. Sometimes I like this oily character of a strong IPA, but this one just isn't working for me. It seems a bit too syrupy.

Overall: I had high hopes for this one, but overall my biggest complaint is that the alcohol smell and taste is too prevalent for me. Bummed! Good, but not great.

07-04-2013 04:32:02 | More by ChrisKayler
MADhombrewer

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance- Bright orange color with a thick, sticky off white head. 4.5

Smell- Aroma is a marriage between pine and tropical hops. The malt sweetness comes at the end. 4.5

Taste- The sweet malt is front and center in the taste.  Hard orange candy. Big bitterness coats your palate. I can barely taste the pininess I smelled in the aroma. 3.5

Mouthfeel- Due to all the all the malt needed to get the ABV to 10.8% it is thicker than I like. 3

Overall - IMO, big alcohol IPAs are usually too sweet for me and this is one of them. I thought Stone would be different in this respect but I guess not.  I prefer drier IPAs and I may stay away from any DIPA over 9%. 3

06-25-2012 00:03:35 | More by MADhombrewer
nlmartin

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer was served chilled in a tulip glass.

A- The body of the beer is a chill hazed amber. No sediment noted in the glass. The head is thick biege and resolves itself into a thin sheen of foam. Rings of biege foam mark this beers passage from my glass.

S- Loads of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, melons and pine, along with loats of floral notes. This beer is aromatically appealing.

T- The beers flavor leads with citrus lots of grapefruit, grapefruit zest and pith. Brief caramel flavors give way to a chasm of bitterness. Alcohol creeps in a brings another dimension of bitterness.

M- The body of the beer is pretty full with a moderate carbonation. The alcohol is a bit hot at times but not oppressive. Nice bitter finish to the beer.

O- I picked up 4 bottles of this originally. I drank 2 of them and am currently reviewing the 3rd bottle. At times I really enjoy this beer and then it gets a bit oppresive. This beer is definately a palate wrecker. Thanks Stones for another tasty beer experience.

07-10-2012 13:09:18 | More by nlmartin
elgiacomo

Georgia

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottled May 25, 2012. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours lightly hazy amber with a two finger off-white head that leaves a few spots of lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is pretty hoppy, initial blast of grapefruit and resinous hops, followed up by floral notes, some apricot, a bit dank, but it’s not all hops as there is a good deal of caramel and bready malt as well. Very good strength.

Flavor starts with seriously resinous hops, grapefruit rind, a bit of fruity hops, moves to a rich caramel malt backbone that does serve up a bit of sweetness to counter the massive punch of bitterness on the end. Noticeable alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel is nearly full-bodied, oily, sticky, a bit creamy at times, good carbonation.

Ultimately this serves to remind me why I love the regular Ruination so much...a hop-forward DIPA without too much malt or alcohol getting in the way. This, is nothing like that. Very hoppy, yes, but a lot of distractions going on as well.

07-12-2012 02:23:38 | More by elgiacomo
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.