Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,126 | Reviews: 769
2.46/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Destroyer of palettes. This is an absolutely enormous beer.

2.56/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

10.8% confirmed. Bottle acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop on Saturday. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and posh etched label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are actually high even though I despise Stone; I've heard some pretty good things about this one.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and great retention (~7+ minutes) for the high ABV. Frothy, silky, and appealing. Body colour is a surprisingly hazy murky orange-copper. Tangerine orange, if you will. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Carbonation bubbles are visible in usual quantities; carbonation seems fine. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. I'm actually fairly impressed with the appearance, though the lack of clarity and translucence has taken me off-guard.

Sm: Hop character is generic floral with light grapefruit, some nectary notes, and some pine. But what catches my attention is not the hops; it's the overdone milky sweetness. Nectary and sticky and too prominent for the style. They definitely doubled the malt to compensate for the hops, but I don't know that they did it well judging by the aroma. I don't detect any yeasty notes or alcohol. A messy aroma of moderate strength. The emphasis is in the wrong place and there doesn't seem to be any balance - but hey, it's Stone.

T: Some wretched grapefruit with an overly sweet malty foundation that really destroys all balance - especially in the third act, where I'm left with a milky rotted tangerine character that lingers off the finish. Blech. Some nice juicy citrus up front, but it's quickly destroyed by the poor malt build. I don't know which pale malts they selected, but they're not doing it for me here. Amarillo or columbus would have been much better hop choices. Hop character lacks diversity, depth of flavour, or evocative quality. Overdone caramel contributes to the third act nightmare. Butterscotch. Cream. It's like it becomes a crappy saison in the third act, but without the accompanying spice - just milkiness and caramel malt. Alcohol does come through, but it's well hidden for the most part - and besides, it's the least of the problems here. To be honest, the flavour isn't that bad in the opening act; the grapefruit is a bit more overt and the maltiness hasn't gone rogue yet. But the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is wretched. Another mess from Stone brewing. Pineapple hits on the climax. Maybe some clove? Who cares. It's complex without any balance or subtlety; any homebrewer can dump a bunch of ingredients in, but it takes a master to control them. This tastes like a homebrewer got control of some fancy toys.

Mf: Smooth. Wet. A bit creamy - a strange and out of place attribute for an Imperial IPA. Good carbonation - a highlight of this beer. Presence on the palate is poor; it overwhelms. I wouldn't say it ruins; it's just a mess dumped on your tongue.

Dr: Another mess from Stone that fails to impress. I wish I loved this like others do, but to me it's just more testament to the ineptitude of Stone's brewers. Why I keep buying their beer I don't know. I guess I keep hoping I'll come across one that's great. I definitely wouldn't get this again; more for all of you. I'll be sticking to Alpine's IPAs. To this beer's credit, the ABV doesn't come through as much as you'd expect; I'd peg it for about 8% if it were a blind taste. I wouldn't call it drinkable, but I won't have any trouble killing this bomber alone. Disappointed. I hope the Enjoy By waiting in my fridge is better.

Low C-

2.8/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottle to a Sam Adams glass. Had high expectations from the reviews of the 2013 bottle and Arrogant Bastard was quite impressive.
This ones not my cup of tea though. Great color and head , but the smell was actually spicy to my senses. Product was orange opaque, but the solids were very fine ad and did not take way from the mouthfeel.
The spice flavor was present in the first several sips, with a bit more sweetness than I care for in a beer.
Well made - just not one for me...

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A very overrated beer IMO. I was expecting a hop bomb and received a malt bomb with a lot of hops added. I don't know how else to put it, but it tastes like an old DIPA. Very disappointing. Not much else to say. I would not waste my money again. Ruination and the regular IPA are much better.

3.04/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured into a tulip.

Appearance
Golden amber with 3 fingers of fluffy head. Excellent clarity and head retention. Low carbonation.

Nose
Sugary caramel, pineapple, grapefruit, pine needles, lemon zest onion and nail polish remover.

Taste
Resinous pine, grapefruit zest and lemon zest. Killer floral and perfume like hops. Some thin caramel and bready malts. Efforts of tangerine and pineapple gets lost among the bitterness. A lot of grapefruit. A lot of pine. A lot of onion.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, oily, bitter, sticky and dry.

Overall
Hop water. Why should I have expected anything else? Sure, it's a palate wrecker. Congrats. Don't expect anything past astringent pine, grapefruit, perfume and onion.

I don't get it. If you're looking ONLY for hop bitterness, this is for you. If you want a classy DIPA with juicy citrus and/or tropical fruits, go elsewhere.

To all the morons giving this a perfect score, get off BA!

3.06/5  rDev -29%

On tap at several place around Houston. Cottonwood and Hay Merchant most recently.

A: Pours a dark golden/orange color with a bit of haze. A two finger white head forms, and recedes after a few minutes. Sticky lace is left down the glass.
S: Burnt caramel malt, resiny pine, and a lingering grapefruit bitterness last forever. Not much else in the nose.
T: Like the nose, burnt caramel malt, and sugar which quickly fades to the intense resiny and bitter hops. Resiny tree sap, piny hops, and grapefruit bitterness. Plenty of solvent like alcohol.
M/D: A full body with moderate carbonation. Sticky, syrupy, and resinous. Hot, solvent alcohol, and an intense hoppy bitterness. Which means, it is something I am not particularly interested in.

I don't get the love for this one. Really one dimensional, and Enjoy By is worlds better. As well as many great locally made Texas DIPA's I will take in a heart beat over this. Let alone the classics like Pliny.

3.08/5  rDev -28.5%

Reviewed from notes. Bottle from Rick’s in Alexandria. Served in a Stone goblet. Pours a moderate golden color with a nice white head. The nose is an overload of citrus hops and a bit of pine. From there, it goes downhill. The flavor is indeed quite hoppy and fairly nice, but it’s also fairly boozy, which is an unpleasant sensation when combined with the extreme bitterness. Definite heat there. Not very drinkable.

3.11/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful red hue and thin, lightly foamy head. Smells like the catbox. Scoopable clay litter. That's not a condemnation, it's just a fact. Stanky, sticky icky icky. Tastes like a hoppy punch in the eye, and that's a GOOD thing. Nice bitterness, and full bodied hop flavor. A robust beer that is a great way to finish an evening, because at 10.80 ABV, you won't be able to hang too long. Drink the swill, then treat your palate to the full frontal skank of Ruin Ten!

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Bottle. Slightly hazy gold pour with smallish white head. Aroma is hoppy, menthol, some stinky onion, not particularly enticing. Taste is oniony, wet, really bitter. Not much tropical fruits and pine, lots of bitterness and alcohol. Really not what I was expecting. A bitter disappointment to say the least.

3.17/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Really dark taste. The alcohol taste overwhelms the taste of hops. I feel like I can breath fire.

3.21/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear coppery gold color with about 1/4 inch of off-white head that that had good retention and left OK lacing.

The aroma started off with a really sweet malt scent, followed up by some nice pine hops. But then, then a strong alcohol scent took over and dominated the entire olfactory aspect. The beer followed a pretty similar path across the tongue. Sweet malts at first, some piney hops, then big alcohol. The alcohol took over and gave a sharp burn at the back. After the heat passed, those nice hops lingered for a while at the rear of the palate.

The body was a bit more full than is generally seen in the style, and had a bit of bitter finish. Drinkability was hurt by the harsh alcohol taste (although, I did end up drinking 3 in a row, so there's that). Overall, a decent enough brew, one worth trying if you see it, but don't get anxious if you miss it.

3.27/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear amber with a huge white head that sticks for about 10 minutes. Lacing is minimal.
Smell is all malts.
Taste is big malts with plenty of alcohol. Hops were there but totally masked by the malt bill.
Mouthfeel is full with enough carbonation. Finish was dry and sweet.
Overall my least favorite from Stone. I was guessing this was a Barleywine or even a Malt Liquor. If you like sweet and boozy this is your beer.

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Clear orange glow and two fingers of white super tight sticky head. you can smell this ting from a mile away. Tons of grapefruit and pine. Lots of hop resin. Touch of alcohol and some sticky malts. Super thick body, syrupy almost.

Bright hop flavors throughout. Not as bitter as regular ruination, a lot more balance here from the high malt content. Lots of bitter citrus peel flavors throughout this beer. While the beer has more balance than ruination, there is still a lot of building bitterness. Pine and grapefruit, very classic west coast ipa flavors with lots of sticky sweetness beneath it all to balance. Finishes with a touch of alcohol heat. I think I prefer regular ruination. Definitely a palate ruiner and wont really go with most foods but it's good. Not as special as I thought it would be though. Malt adds a stickyness that takes away from the hops just a bit unlike something like a terrapin hopzilla.

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a nice deep amber color with a minimal head. Smell is all hops, you know what you're in for. There's a sweetness in the back with the hoppiness in the front, but balance is totally missing. For me, it was a bit of a chore to drink - I'm glad I tried it but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again.

3.37/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Randy Jones Sports Grill. Very hoppy with strong bitter finish. Smells of grass and orange.

3.41/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer the last two times it came out and it was great 4.5+ beer…However to sum this 3rd release installment up is plain and simple. The grain bill is completely taking over this beer and the hops are not nearly as balanced this go around, mostly all pine and subtle citrus in smell and taste. To much malt is adding a unbalanced sweet taste that does not mesh well with the hops.

3.42/5  rDev -20.6%

I had a tough time finding this, but once I did, I was happy that it was only $8. However, it wasn't as impressive to drink (for me) as it was hard to find.

A - Pours golden brown with a small off white head that fades pretty quickly. It pretty much looks like the the standard Ruination.

S - Obviously, the immediate smell that hits you is the massive amount of hops. Piny and grapefruit smelling.

T - As you would expect, the hops hit you right away and begin to "scorch your palate." Grapefruit and pine flavors dominate. I'm a fan of big DIPA's, but this was a little too bitter for me an unbalanced. I would have liked to have tasted more malt or a little added sweetness. But as a "hop scorcher" - this beer succeeds.

M - The carbonation is alright and the hops feel nice on the palate.

O - For $8, this is definitely worth picking up to try, especially if you are a hop lover. I'm glad I had one, but I had the chance to buy a 2nd and turned it down.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

22 bomber poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Amber, lots of tiny bubbles streaming up the side, an off white creamy head, lots of thick lacing.

A: Smells very sweet, very malty, not picking up any hop aromas, no citrus, no pine, not picking up any alcohol. For being a hop monster it sure lacks a lot of hops.

T: Very sweet, malty, lots of citrus rind bitterness, but this has a very strong sweet malt presence, not really digging the flavor.

M: Very dry, has a creamy mouthfeel, rakes the tongue with bitterness.

O: I did not like this, very malty, very sweet, some citrus notes on the aroma and taste but the malts win this battle. I've noticed that some IIPA are very malty, not sure if I like this, I prefer more citrus/ piney notes than a big sweet malty presence.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer would be awesome if it lived up to its promise of over hopped bliss unfortunately it's extreme hoppyness is balanced with extreme maltyness making it far to sweet to enjoy if u like a giant malt backbone this may be your idea of heaven

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

22oz bottle at TomG's place into Narke tulip.

A - Pours a mirky golden yellow, white head, spotty lace.

S - Pine, citrus, resin, toasted bread. Tons & tons of hops...really juicy and big. Alcohol is noticeable on the nose...pretty boozy for a DIPA, a little too much.

T - The hops destroys the palate, bruising! Lots of citrus, orange peel, resinous, and pine. Pretty sweet as well. Alcohol is too up front at this point...needs to be hidden a bit better. Finish is all hops and some boozy sweetness.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, oily finish.

O - I personally think this beer is over-hopped, overly boozy, and over-hyped. It's all just a bit too much in every category for me. There's so many other (better) DIPA's out there that I'd rather have over this beer...too many.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

A- light amber, good clarity, slightly off white head that has great retention, lots of lace

S- orange citrus, oily, malt sweetness, alcohol

T- citrus, touch too much of crystal malt, finishing with substantial resiny/oily hop bitterness and smooth alcohol warmth. I can no longer taste anything but the oily hop finish

M- Quite thick, full body, chewy

O- A nice experience, but too much alcohol and palate destruction to make this something I'll reach for again

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

22 ounce bottle - $7.49 at Charlie's Beer and Wine in Marietta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a dark orange-gold body with nearly two inches of near white foam.

Smell: Pointedly aromatic with some harsh resins, cutting florals, pure citrus oils, and enough alcohol to shrivel the nostrils. I was hoping for beautiful, for vivaciousness. Instead, it's just harsh. Some soften hints of overcooked sugar cookies and toasted grain do little to round it out.

Taste: A mercurial dose of sugar cookies, toasty grains. Then, alcohol and throat-scalding resins. Sip of pure citrus juices. A tad caustic. The bitterness is very high, and it's this bitterness along with the alcohol to angrily shoves you towards the burning finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. A bit of beefiness to the mouthfeel. Just a bit.

Overall: I feel like a champ for getting halfway through this thing!

3.49/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From my Stolzle(umlat on the o) short tulip
Color of Jack Daniels on the rocks with a splash of water, off-white foam
Smells like it tastes...chocolate covered orange peel , cantaloupe and the bitter bile taste in the back of your throat when you blow chow...
Balanced tween hops and malt...some sweetness to temper
Smooth mouth-feel after the swallow
Overall,for a one time shot, I liked it but if the next year's tastes like this -No dice!

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A. Good color, Deep and Amber

S. Nice strongly hopped smell. Citrus I would call it.

T. This is where I found this beer a little off. I can taste the strong bite of alcohol, and it is not
a good things. Still better then a lot of beers.

m. Good Mouthfeel.

o. I would not buy this again, bunch better beers for the price.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle purchased at the Bushnell's Basin Hess.

Pours a murky bright golden orange, with a one inch foamy head, and good lacing down the glass.

Smells like rubbing alcohol, sugary malts, and searing pine hops.

This is one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had, it doesn't mess around. But, to its detriment, it's also super sugary and boozy, making it quite hard to drink. Some lemon pledge and weed-covered pine needle tastes berate the tongue, with a ton of stinging booze. Some sweet almost barleywine like malt flavors as well, plus a shredding bitterness near the end of each sip. There's some weird earthy flavors too that are reminiscent of onion. This is an extreme beer, and tastes relatively good for about 5-6 oz, then gets to be way too much.

Medium bodied, sticky sweet mouthfeel, low carbonation. Very present alcohol.

This one is for people who need their palates to be annihilated. It's one of the strongest, booziest, hoppiest IPAs I've ever had.

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.