Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 843 | Hads: 5,583
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Orange-amber color that is completely transparent. I love the way you can see right through this glass. 1/4 finger of head sustains and some lacing. An inviting and beautiful looking beer. One of the best looking DIPAs I have ever reviewed. Just as I suspected, very hop forward with the smell. Getting lots of pine, floral, citrus, some caramel, alcohol and esters. Lots of hops, as you would expect, but there is a substantial malt background that is present. This makes the beer more layered and complex. Alcohol is detected in the taste. Mouthfeel is somewhat moderate, with a great flow of carbonation from bottom to top. It does leave the mouth quite dry. Overall, I was really impressed with the appearance of this beer and of course the hoppiness and the great care that was taken into created a somewhat balanced beer. This is definitely a hop lovers beer, and I'm glad I got the chance to try it. Can't wait until the 20 year!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Well, my first review got lost because I wasn't logged in. Shit.

22oz bomber purchased from Good Ta Go. I believe the bottle had a best by date of 08/24/12. I accidentally rubbed it off with my thumb. Poured into my DFH snifter.

Appearance: Nice bronze orange with a two finger foamy white head. Excellent retention and perhaps the craziest lacing I have ever seen. White suds are caked ALL over my entire glass. I wish I could attach a picture to this review.

Aroma: Massive grapefruit aroma here along with some other tropical fruits. Piney hop resin and jus a bit of caramel malt peeking through.

Taste: Piney hop resin and grapefruit are the big players here. Bold flavor and quite tasty. Bitter from start to finish. I love Columbus hops and this one drives them straight to your palate. I'm sure there's some caramel malt backing but I'm too concerned with this tasty bitterness to care.

Mouthfeel: Big beer. Low on carbonation and high on thickness. This beer just never lets up. It dominates you. Completely owns you. ABV becomes more noticeable as it warms. Finish is long and bitter.

I would most definitely purchase this beer again, if I could ever find it again. Great job on this one, Stone.
...I also haven't had a Ruination in awhile. I would have liked to do a side-by side comparison with the two.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was my July 4th beer!!!!
A: Clear, dark amber, thin white lacing.
S: Floral, sweet malt, pine resin and a hint of citrus.
T: Sweet malt, resiny, bitter citrus like finish.
M: Hops prickly to the tongue, medium carbonation, sticky, bitter hop finish. After a few sips the alcohol can be felt. Be warned!
O: Very hoppy and a pretty strong, sweet malty backbone. Happy 4th go Stone!!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

RuinTen 2013 release. 22 oz bomber into a teku glass. I missed the initial 10th Anniversary Edition so I'm pretty excited to try this recipe out finally. Enjoy by: 08/28/13.

A - Pours a very clear dark amber body. Two fingers of white foam forms and settles down to a thin cap and some edging. Sticky lacing with some killer retention. A swirl produces an instant fingers worth of foam. Filtered DIPA's don't get any better than this.

S - There is a lot happening here. Starts off very fruity with some peaches, nectarines, and grapefruit. It then takes a swing towards the savory side. Dank, dank herb with layers of pine and oily resin with faint notes of onions. The end is undeniably fusel heavy and harsh. Not my favorite IPA hop profile but it certainly smells massive and impressive.

T - Stone fruit interrupted by oily resin and dank marijuana. Some pine and orange scattered around. The hops are pretty unrelenting here with a bitterness that isn't huge but feels like its slowly eating away at your enamel. Some bready caramel malts. The finish is all about bitter grapefruits. Mouth feel is medium bodied and coating. Alcohol shows through a bit as it warms up.

O - This is a really massive and palate destroying DIPA. Lots of flavors here with a manageable but large level of bitterness. This is a damn good beer and I'm happy this is now an annual release. However, Enjoy By is just so much more up my alley and is a rotating release.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This pours out a hazy golden orange color with a dense layer of foam and excellent lacing. It's sitting about a foot away from me and the aroma is wonderful from here. Picking it up and sniffing, delicious notes of fruity citrus and fresh pine resin. Flavor is bracingly bitter, but backed by a big maltiness. Loads of hop flavor last through the drink and linger after the dry finish.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

This is Stone Ruination with a little more hop and malt aggressiveness. If you didn't care for the original formula, this is not going to win you over, as it is meant for those who have enjoyed Ruination over the years.

As for the notion that it is a palate wrecker, the name Ruination is simply reinforced with this anniversary offering. It's not for the faint of heart, and definitely not for the fan of the east coast style IPA. Thank you Stone Brewing!

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

From the bottle marked drink by 8/28/13. Sampled on August 11, 2013 so I made it by a couple weeks.

The color is a handsome looking medium amber-copper orange with a long lasting white head and plenty of lacing. I love the way it looks.

Now about that aroma - there is a full butterscotch and butter nose for certain that intermingles with the piney hops that are all over the place. Some tropical fruits to boot. Inviting.

The body is about medium with an astringency but still palpable.

The taste also has that buttery character with an imposing floral hop bitterness that lingers and leaves an impression at the finale. Quite a fascinating brew. I'm glad I got to try one before it faded into oblivion.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a bomber, bout a month old. Deep color. From a vigorous pour I got a solid head, but on the second one not as much. Settled to a thin foam that stuck around. The smell is nice and bitter, like I remember orig Ruination tasting. Some of that bitterness comes through on the taste, but as it warms up just turns in to malt and sticks to the mouth. Like other reviewers have noted, Ruination 2.0 and Enjoy By are better examples of hop bombs from Stone that keep the malt bill in check. This could use more balance.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bomber poured into a pint glass

A-hazy copper,thick off-white 1 inch head, good retention, heavy lacing

S-Faint notes of hops, pine, citrus- while the aroma is nice it isn't very strong

T-Nice balance between the sweetness of the malts and hops grapefruit / lemons a bit bready

M-thick, chewy, oily resins, mild carbonation

O-another good IPA from stone, very enjoyable

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Can't find the lasered-on enjoy by date on the bottle, which is odd since the label instructs to "drink fresh." My records indicate it was purchased exactly three months ago, so it's got some age.

Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

a: Translucent amber with a white inch and a half head which dissipated to heavy surface foam and extensive lacing.

s: Intense citrus and pine.

t: Tasty pine hops forward with considerable strength, some alcohol on the tongue but the hops are rather amazingly easy on it.

m:Moderate and smooth with good body. Carbonation keeps coming.

o: Really a super DIPA. At the risk of having the hops fade, I held onto this bottle for a few months waiting for the right time to drink it, since it is high ABV (10.8%). Now that I opened it, I'm learning what I missed in the interim.

UPDATE 7/19/14: The 2014 version is extremely and dangerously sippable. This bottle sealed 6/0?/14 ( a blank space after the zero for the day). Not much of a head to speak of this time, but the taste is still awesome, and although the bitterness builds somewhat in the back of the mouth, it does not linger annoyingly. Remains one of my personal top-rated DIPAs, but I am reducing the appearance rating from 4.5-3.75 for the disappointingly nearly non-existent head, the smell rating from 4.5-4 since citrus is less evident, and the mouthfeel rating from 4.5-4 because it seems less exceptionally smooth now.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled two weeks ago. Poured into spiegelau glass.

A - a nice golden amber. Clean looking.

S - holy hoptown. This smells floral and strong.

T - just like you would expect. A delicious hop explosion. Plenty strong too even for a DIPA.

M - slightly cloying.

O - a great stone double IPA. Definitely more full bodied than the Enjoy By. Different in its own right but just as good.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Immediately hit with fruity notes on the aroma and flavor and an excellent hoppy middle and smooth finish. I've had this twice on separate occasions and noted a huge difference in flavor between the two. The first blew my mind, and the second disappointed greatly. If the second experience was like the first, it would be 5's across the board.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a one finger, bone white head. Decent retention, very nice thin lacing all around the glass.

S: Lots of pine bitterness mixed with some tropical fruit, some grapefruit and a little bit of pineapple. There is a good bit of malt as well, some caramel, and a bit of sweetness.

T: Lots of juicy tropical fruits, some grapefruit and zesty rind with some nice pine near the finish. Not as malty as the aroma, just a bit of sugary sweetness to balance it...slightly.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks pretty smooth, no real sign of the abv, maybe a very faint warmth to it.

O: For a DIPA (maybe a triple?), this is nicely balanced with a good bit of malty goodness backing up the fantastic hop bill.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Pours into my trusty tulip with a golden hue and two fingers of slightly off white head that dissipate slowly.

Smell – Huge piney and citrus hops, pine resin, a bit of alcohol. No sweetness to be found!

Taste – Blast of resiny hops up front. Not as bitter as expecting; sweet malts abound, though there is the obvious bitterness reminiscent of all stone products. Bready malts, slight booze, and grapefruit bitterness.

Mouthfeel – One of the highlights. Nice and creamy, oily if you will. Moderate bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Coincidentally, this is a somewhat “balanced” beer by Stone, meaning it isn’t a 100% hop bomb. I will pick another for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy dark gold/orange with a big frothy off-white head.

Loads of citrus in the aroma. A big grapefruit kick with a little pine. Smells phenomenal.

Not as much citrus as the nose. A little grapefruit on the front end. Very little malt although there is a bit for body, the flavor gets overwhelmed by the hops. Finishes very resiny and dry.

Low-medium bodied with good carbonation. Enough malt to add some backbone without interfering with the hop flavor.

Good beer and the nose is definitely better than regular Ruination although the flavor falls just a bit short of that. I do have a weakness for overhopped beer so I love this one.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle dated 6/19/14 poured into dogfish IPA glass

Pours oily and resinisis. Smells of deep pine and tropical fruit. Huge hop and pine on the first sip followed by a nice bitterness. Could use a touch more carbonation to cleanse the pallet from the hop resin. A definite tounge scrapper.

Overall a high 4.25 borderline 4.5. Look forward to this every summer and tough to beat this for $8.99 bomber. One of Stone's best.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: light copper with a cappuccino foam head that dissipates moderately. Translucent with what looks to be low-moderate carbonation.

Nose: hello, grapefruit! Lots of caramel sweetness and grapefruit hop bitterness in the nose. This is a definite celebration of hops. Tons of leafy, lemony, piney backbone to the nose but a lot of sweetness up front. This is pure unadulterated hop smell. You can detect a slight breadiness at the back, but this beer smells as close to sticking your head into a bucketful of hops as any.

Taste: I was expecting this to be a lot like dogfish head 120 minute but it's quite different. It's cleaner than I thought it would be from the nose. Crispy bready notes deliver a wave of hop bitterness that finishes almost bone dry. It's as if someone spread hop butter on toast and then turned it into a beer. For what I thought was going to be quite a gimmicky beer, this is quite good. The hops are delivered very well in a restrained but not so restrained kind of way. I mean this is the most pure hop flavor I've ever gotten from a beer but it is done in this gourmet way almost. This is a deceptively simple presentation of pure hop flavor. There's just this solid malt balance underneath that delivers the hop flavor that is really impressive.

Mouthfeel: very enjoyable mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation is perfect for the style and the flavor profile. It would be cloying otherwise.

Overall/drinkability: this is much more drinkable than I had expected, but it is still quite the hoppy beer. Don't get me wrong, I love me some hops, but this one is not something I would have very often. A great offering by stone that I would definitely recommend for a try. It's just a little too forward to have all the time. A great comparison would be to a great tasting menu at a contemporary restaurant. It's a great experience that you wouldn't take back, but you won't be back for a while.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours clear light copper, with a huge off-white head with plenty of nice lacing.

Smells of grapefruit, pine, boozy astringency, and a tropical vacation.

Taste is HOPS, and more hops, tropical, bitter, citrusy, and heavenly.

This is a one and done beer, thick viscous, sticky, lingering.

Wow, what a great beer, huge abv makes for sharing, which I did, and the wife loved it as well, so we shared another! This should be available year round, but then I would be poor, and drunk a lot.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice golden copper appearance. Not much aroma. Great malty tropical taste. This is ob of my favorite stone beers. I know enjoy by gets slightly higher review but I like this better. Look forward to this every summer.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle from Pints OPlenty.

Appearance: Slight haze to this golden-orange pour. Bone white head with very nice retention and lacing, especially considering the abv.

Smell: Big sweet and hoppy. Distinctive citra aromas with lots of tropical fruit (and a hint of cat pee). Citrus and weedlike hops aromas second to the tropical fruit. There's a sweet pale malty aroma that tells me this is a big one, but I don't smell booze. Quite good.

Taste: A great combinaton of fruity hops flavor and unapologetic bitter bite. Nice "balance" from the malty sweetness. A delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels like a big beer. Some might wish it dried out a bit more, but I like a little stickiness in a DIPA. Feels creamy and soft, ends with a medium-heavy malt stickiness and some hops resin.

Overall: Very well executed DIPA. I'd buy this as a seasonal for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Lots of citrus zest up front (orange and lemon rind), a bit of Pine-sol, and a touch of hot alcohols on the nose. As the name has always implied, it presents itself as a big and bad mo-fo.

Appearance: Hazy amber pour with orange edging. Low white head with good retention and some nice legs.

Flavor: Big puckering citrus character up front. Any hint of caramel sweetness that I think I detect is quickly pounded out of my tongue by blistering piney and citrusy hop bitterness. Balance is firmly bitter (and the Grand Canyon is kind of a big hole) with a lingering pleasant powdery hop resin aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Slightly slick, a nice warming alcohol presence, and pleasant hop-derived astringency.

Overall impression: Lives up to the bill. I love it. Alcohol is kind of hot but given all the hop bitterness there is so much going on here it isn't a knock. Lots of complexity and so glad I had the chance to try it. I am officially ruined.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours a light, mellow orange with a one finger white head. Nice lacing throughout. Big citrus aroma to start. Freshly cut grapefruit and lesser tropical notes. Some malt and booze as well. Really big flavor here. Really big. Juicy grapefruit, peach and mango to start before a Ruination takeover. Bitter is next. Big pine resin, thick and sticky. Pretty substantial sugary malt does a nice job balancing out the huge hop flavor, before more bitterness on the finish. Solid kick of booze in there is a lone negative IMO. This is my favorite Stone Brew, especially very fresh, where the citra hop shines. Huge DIPA

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received a bomber as a gift from a friend. Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a pint glass. Two fingers of head. Color was caramel, maybe caramel amber. White, cloudy, frothy lacing that had good retention throughout the pour.

Good balance on the nose. Initially got citrus hops, which was a mix of lemon and grapefruit. Also some sweet sugary floral notes. Finally ended with a bitter, spicy ending. Seems like even some pepper in there.

Could definitely taste the alcohol, nothing hidden about that. Initially got that sharp bite of alcohol, which gave way to a long, alcohol finish. Reminded me a bit of bug spray or cologne, but in a drinkable way. After all that alcohol got away, next came the citrus hops. Definitely more grapefruit than anything else.

Medium body. Creamy, slick texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter finish. Definitely smooth and long lasting though.

Just a really good beer. Got that, “Oh, wow, I’m feeling it” after just a few sips. I heard they went fast, but I’m going to buy a couple if I come across them.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22 oz bottle into tulip glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear copper tinted golden yellow with one finger white head. Some minimal lacing.

S: Hop assault. Lots of pine, grapefruit, pineapple. A hint of caramel and honey.

T: Again, it's all hops all the time. Big citrus notes with grapefruit and pineapple dominant. Just a hint of malt sweetness that is immediately absorbed by the hop bitterness.

M: Medium body but lots of hop resins to coat the tongue.

O: I really enjoyed this one. It totally destroyed my palette, but I would buy more when ever I see it.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a brassy amber with a thinnish, frothy head. Smells like whenever I make hop tea. Hops have an earthy and herbal character. Tastes like sweet hop tea. Again, the hops lean more towards earthy and floral tones. Pretty sweet overall with not THAT much bitterness in the end. This is more about the flavor of the hops over crushing bitterness, although there is a bitterness that lingers on and on. Mouthfeel is a tad thick and sticky, but not exaggeratedly so. Nice bit of prickly carbonation. I'm not big into DIPAs (too sweet for me), but, just as with Enjoy By, Stone managed to win me over.

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.