Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 843 | Hads: 5,581
4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

sharp bitter tasty hops carbonation is almost perfect was recommended by the sales rep. I love asking the guy running store (if they agree to liking any of my favorites to suggest something. this was a very good recommendation .. has less of a resin taste than most ales like this and that is beginning to be a good thing

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I know this is exactly what's it's supposed to be. A hop bomb explosion to the face. And if I could taste anything other than the bitter, bitter hops it might be fine.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clear copper color with a minimal tan head by the time it was served. A nice, moderate aroma of citrus and tropical fruit along with a malt sweetness. The flavor was rich and matched the aroma closely with good balance between the fruity hops and malt. Lower bitterness than I expected without the excess floral and resin bitterness I have typically got from other Stone IPAs. Moderate bitterness in the middle with good smoothness and body. The alcohol was well hidden and the bitterness finished clean. One of my favorites from Stone.

4.01/5  rDev -6.7%

It pours clear amber with orange tinges. It has a full head, good lacing. It has aromas of dried fruits, citrus fruits, and a bit of bready malts. It has a strong grapefruit taste with other citrus flavors. There are also floral elements with hints of lemon. It has a bitter kick on the palate.

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap @ Blue Dust

This is one of the biggest, richest tasting "IPAs" ive had. Balanced aromas and flavors of malt and hops. The warmer it got the more hop character i detected, which is usually the case with the malt. It reminds me of Founders Devil Dancer, but this blows it away. I'm admittedly not a big fan of Stone, but this has got to be one of my few favorite beers put out by them. I highly recommend it

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Look - Opaque dark Amber color with just under one finger head of tiny bubbles that receded to a tiny bubble slick.

Smell - Sweet caramel, butterscotch, and yeasty bread.

Taste - Sweet caramel malt that overtakes the hoppiness. Butterscotch with a bittersweet finish.

Feel - Full bodied, really left my lips sticky. A little carbonation

Overall - Pretty tasty, a little sweet for my likes. Would be a good way to end a meal - dessert like.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Stone IPA Madness glass

A: Pours rich copper amber with a creamy khaki head that settles to a thick layer and leaves plenty of thick lacing.

S: Big tropical fruit, mango, peach, melon, nectarine, citrus, tangerine, light grapefruit, a bit spicy, bready malt, and caramel sweetness.

T: Juicy, fruity, peach, pear, hints of melon, citrus, tangerine and a little grapefruit, pine, bready, maybe even lightly toasty, some caramel malt sweetness, and a little alcohol.

M: Medium to full body, soft carbonation, creamy, pretty smooth, with a hint of warmth as it goes down.

O: I've had this one last year, but remember it being different, namely a bit less fruity. It's still a solid beer, but I'm missing a sorta hoppy kick in the face.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce snifter, bottled on 6/12/15, into a snifter.

Pours a good looking copper color, lightly hazy, with a small head and not much lacing. Smell is a boatload of hops- citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange, some pine, a little dank. Malt comes through, maybe a little yeast. Smells great. Taste is led by bitter, juicy hops and more malt than the nose. It's bitter, but not rip your face off bitter. To me, the malt provides a solid backbone. Really smooth for the ABV and the big hop presence. Refreshing.

There's no big palette of unique tastes battering your senses here. Just hops and malt expertly blended. Everyone should try this; I'll be buying it every year.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very very big. Abundant in all things IPA related. Huge hop character, massive malts and more than alot of alcohol. A bit too boozy for me. I love what stone can do with hops tho.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep golden color. Has a sweet malty aroma with a slight bit of citrus in the background. Flavor follows the smell. Definitely a malt forward IPA with a bitter citrus peel flavor at the end. Pretty well balanced overall

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: light copper with a cappuccino foam head that dissipates moderately. Translucent with what looks to be low-moderate carbonation.

Nose: hello, grapefruit! Lots of caramel sweetness and grapefruit hop bitterness in the nose. This is a definite celebration of hops. Tons of leafy, lemony, piney backbone to the nose but a lot of sweetness up front. This is pure unadulterated hop smell. You can detect a slight breadiness at the back, but this beer smells as close to sticking your head into a bucketful of hops as any.

Taste: I was expecting this to be a lot like dogfish head 120 minute but it's quite different. It's cleaner than I thought it would be from the nose. Crispy bready notes deliver a wave of hop bitterness that finishes almost bone dry. It's as if someone spread hop butter on toast and then turned it into a beer. For what I thought was going to be quite a gimmicky beer, this is quite good. The hops are delivered very well in a restrained but not so restrained kind of way. I mean this is the most pure hop flavor I've ever gotten from a beer but it is done in this gourmet way almost. This is a deceptively simple presentation of pure hop flavor. There's just this solid malt balance underneath that delivers the hop flavor that is really impressive.

Mouthfeel: very enjoyable mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation is perfect for the style and the flavor profile. It would be cloying otherwise.

Overall/drinkability: this is much more drinkable than I had expected, but it is still quite the hoppy beer. Don't get me wrong, I love me some hops, but this one is not something I would have very often. A great offering by stone that I would definitely recommend for a try. It's just a little too forward to have all the time. A great comparison would be to a great tasting menu at a contemporary restaurant. It's a great experience that you wouldn't take back, but you won't be back for a while.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

RuinTen looks like an amber amulet, something you could buy at a museum gift shop. The beer is glossy, clear, resplendent, and completely flat (the lack of head is unsurprising given it's almost 11% alcohol). I've poured it into a tulip glass but it would look even more at home in a snifter.

I don't know exactly what five pounds of hops per barrel should equates to, but it's definitely something you can smell. This aroma is a cauldron of boiled-down pineapple juice, infused with macerated grapefruit skins and generous handfuls of a variety of botanicals. Plus some unavoidable alcohol. I better get comfy because I suspect I'm about to sink into my chair.

'Best Before' dates on beer would make me laugh if they didn't make me so angry. I go red in the face when brewers claim their IPAs are good for another two years. Really? Get out of here. Fortunately, the fines folks at Stone are of like-mind about this issue. They do it right - they stamp the "bottled on" date (well, that or they put the "enjoy by" date right in the name).

Hence, I know this bottle of RuinTen is 7 weeks old. Not exactly fresh but not old either. Regardless, I can still feel the green of the hops on my face. I can hear a tropical breeze whisking through palm trees. I can smell the rainy dew and dead brush of a northern forest. This flavour profile is abundant in many things: botanicals, citrus fruits, grass and pine chief among them.

Everyone preaches balance as if it's the be-all and end-all but it's not necessarily. RuinTen is one-dimensional and unsubtle - that's the idea. Stone, by their own admission, calls this "indelicate" and "belligerent". They're not wrong. But for those of us who like that kind of thing it's immensely gratifying. If you're a glutton for hop punishment then it doesn't really get more pleasurable than this.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty brew from Stone. I really enjoyed this quality beer. It kicks you in the teeth to start but seems to finish quite smoothly. I recommend it.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2015 vintage, drank within 3 weeks of bottling. Dank hop aroma, but I felt the beer was too malty and overpowering from an ABV perspective. Not much balance to be had here

4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a grand snifter at 45°-50°F

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a thin off-white head and spotty lacing.

Smell: The nose is malty sweet with citrus and subtle pine. As the beer warms the smells become more pronounced.

Taste: The taste is concurrent. The sweetness isn't overly cloying and balances well with the citrus rind, pine flavor with a reasonably bitter and dry finish. The flavors become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, oily with some carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer from Stone Brewing Co. The nice mouthfeel really stood out for me and the bitter finish was tolerable enough not to ruin the beer. I have to admit I was expecting a dry hop bomb but instead found a pleasant drinking experience throughout. I would pick this up again but not frequently from fear of fatigue.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Copper orange color with a half an inch head.

Strong malt aroma with floral hops like bitters. Malt is like a rich bread.

Taste is crusty sweet bread with straight bitter like herbal bitter.

Excellent beer do not taste the 10% alcohol.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

A: crystal clear; bronze in color; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin film; light lacing;

S: tropical fruit, pine, a little caramel, a little booze;

T: a bit of caramel up front, followed by pine, then a hint of citrus; alcohol is noticeable throughout, but not overwhelming; mildly bitter from mid-palate to the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: glad I got the chance to try it;

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is definitely an after - work brew. Great balance of malt with hops without being too sweet under the hops. High ABV may hide rough edges, but when found on tap, sit back and relax.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

22oz bomber about 6 weeks old

L - Deep orange with a fluffy slightly honey colored head that dissipates quickly. Thick heavy syrup legs on the side of the glass as I swirl
S - slight citrus, heavy pine and astringent cat litter dankness.
T - Sweet, somewhat heavy malts with a refreshing piney burst. Surprisingly soft on the finish. It is bitter, but not crushing by any means. Very nicely balanced by the sweetness.
F - Rich creamy mouthfeel. Heavy, but in a good way, and dangerously smooth. Very fine, almost silky carb

Overall a big beer, but very well made and dangerously easy to drink

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Hazed amber orange colour, one finger of white head nice sticky lace. Smell is quite malty upfront but alongside it is an equally big hop bill, citrus and dank pine, with lots of grapefruit, orange and sugar cookie. Taste is very hoppy with a big sweet malt presence, grapefruit, orang and tangerine, moderate tongue numbing bitterness that never gets out of hand thanks to the malty counterbalance, dank aftertaste with a touch of alcohol heat. Lightly carbonated, medium full body, fairly oily. Solid and very drinkable, at times when this warmed up it walked the line between DIPA and American Barleywine and while not necessarily a bad thing I think I would prefer Enjoy By or Old Guardian if I wanted a Stone beer that was one or the other, that said this is still a very flavourful, hoppy big beer that while not the best Triple IPA I have had is still something I could see myself coming back to yearly.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just a gorgeous pour. A deep amber color with an abundant slightly off white head. The nose is pine, citrus, and a little spice - but more subdued than anticipated. The taste is powerful. Piney, resinous, and a wallop of hop flavor. A nice malty sweetness to balance things out. The mouthfeel is full, with a pleasant alcohol burn on the aftertaste. Definitely a beer I'd seek out again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: copper colored, bright and clear with excellent head retention that lasted more than 10 minutes after being poured.

Aroma: hops! Pine and citrus (grapefruit).

Flavor: well balanced. Despite the uber hop levels, the malt comes through nicely and isn't overwhelmed by the hops. Toasted malt and bread flavors transition into the hops, a 50/50 of pine and citrus. The toasted flavors remind me of Pliny the Elder. The nearly 11% abv is well hidden, but some warmth comes through in the finish. The hops have staying power! After a sip, you need to cleanse your palate before eating/drinking anything else. The hop oils coat all in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: spot on! Nice medium body. The perfect body for a sipping beer, but too heavy to consume more than a 220z bomber.

Overall: in my opinion, this is Stone's best beer and one of the finest DIPAs I've had. At $8.99 / 22oz bottle, it is reasonably priced and even cheaper than many of its competitor's far-lesser offerings. I'll continue to buy this beer as long as it's sold.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Huge hop bomb on this one! Still good after its been in the fridge for a while. For a higher ABV IPA it is really easy drinking and I would say one of Stones best IPAs

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(22oz bomber, Santa Clarita) pleasant smell and great first sip. Get's a bit boozy tasting with each sip. Overall a good if not very good IPA, but might be a bit more enjoyable if the alcohol content was lower.

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

RuinTen dials everything up to Eleven.

For me, the smell and taste were of a damn good imperial IPA with a flavor profile that seemed familiar (maybe not so different from other Stone IPAs) but with intensity--of hoppiness, bitterness, alcohol--amplified. Much melding of flavor and just strong, strong, strong. You'd need to steer clear if you're afraid of hops, though!

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.