Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,081 | Reviews: 758
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Very hazy amber color with a thin layer of khaki head.

S: Big malty and fruity smell of pineapple and orange.

T: It gets much more diversified here with the presence of the nose with leafy, earthy hops, followed by a grapefruit finish.

M: Heavy body with medium carb. Body is very sticky.

O: I couldn't believe the taste of this one, It was like drinking three beers in one. I loved the way it changed from start to finish on each sip as well as each glass. They also do a great job of covering of the big ABV.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

No date but I hope it's a fresh bottle. Picked up at the start of September, enjoyed at the start of October, 2014.
This pours a caramel-tan color with thin foam that lingers.
There's a great piney orange aroma on this, laced with a hint of tangerine and some candied orange sweetness. It comes off incredibly bitter, with layers of citrus and some resiny flavor. This is a good one.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle with a bottled on date of 6/9/14; into a tulip.
Appearance - orange/dark gold, a slow but gorgeous parade of bubbles; the pour produces a thick, foamy white head that recedes quickly to a thin, bubbly layer. Lacing is decent.
Smell - dank hop aromas, citrus and tropical fruits, some floral notes, along with a little booze and candy!
Taste - aggressive hops up front, but a subtle sweetness that tames it slightly. The 10.8 ABV is noticeable, but I dig it! Smooth but strong!
Feel - no doubt a hop bomb and a strong alcohol presence, but so full and flavorful!
Overall - what I expected; aggressive yet laid back, strong yet subtle; when I want a strong, hop forward ale without compromising taste...Stone delivers!

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Hazy orange body with a big white fluffy head. Slightly old at 3 months, but hoping it is still good. Huge malty earth aroma. Some pine smell. Very smooth. I do wonder if the hops have tapered off some because it is more malty and less hoppy than I thought it’d be, but still tastes great. Good amount of sweetness, but still quite bitter. My guess fresh this is great. Today I think it is very good.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

This one pours a very cloudy rich golden color with a nice thick off white head that settles adequately with a tone of lacing down the glass.

The nose is nice and rich with buttery tones that have a spicy, floral bouquet floating on a base of alcohol.

The taste is an exceptional with a sweet malty bed that is subdued by the great blend of powerful hops.Hints of coriander, bread, vanilla, pepper, grass and other earthy notes. The finish is bitter and clean.

The mouthfeel is very rich and blankets the palate in the complex flavors.

Overall this is a fantastic beer and a great treat. I very highly recommend it.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a rocky, two-finger off-white eggshell colored head. Thick rings of lacing. Good head retention.

S - Intense aroma of various C hops; pine, citrus, mint, a hint of butterscotch. Smells inviting.

T - Powerful hop flavors mirror the nose; spruce and pine blast the taste buds initially. Fruity esters (grapefruit, pineapple, papaya) in the mid-palate. A sweet honey-like malt base supports the hops wonderfully. More pine and mint again in the finish. ABV very well hidden. Excellent.

M - Medium bodied with somewhat "soft" medium carbonation. Silky finish. Supports the flavor profile well.

O - Superior. One of the better DIPA's around. Practically flawless. Will seek out again and again.

Like the Ruination, you cant ever go wrong with this beer!

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down moderately and leaves some lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of citrus, pine resins, some grass, sweet caramelly malts and faint toffee.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some citrus, big notes of bitter pine and grass, some sweet caramelly malts and very faint toffee.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a decent overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied by good flavors and aromas. Honestly, I feel like they tried to hard with this beer by adding more hops then needed. I truly enjoy Ruination IPA but this just feels like they added a boatload of hops to it, making it overly bitter and taking away from the beautiful citrus/grapefruit notes witch I love in Ruination. Still a decent DIPA but not quite what I was expecting.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Big props to Stone for this one. If you've ever had a Ruination, just amp that up with a higher APV and more hops to the taste buds! Love this beer. Well balanced for a big hop beer. Very dry just like a ruin(your palate)ation should be. Well done. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a big hop IPA. ENJOY!

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pours a copper orange with a ruby back glow. Pancake batter like head remains and leaves nice soapy bubbles after each drink.

S - Citrus hops, caramel, dank, grass.

T - Huge citrus hop bomb, balanced and equaled with a big malt back bone. Everything blends together perfectly and this a smack you in the mouth DIPA with full flavors all around.

O - Quintessential Stone...This brew is right in my wheelhouse. One of the best DIPA's on the planet.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

The aroma and appearance may not be perfect (damn good but not perfect) but this beer is just excellent! Flavor's Richlv malti-sweet & that balances nicely with the power of big hops and just the right carbonic tang. Perfect body and finish. Great drinking beer just got to be careful I don't get zonked on it.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Trying for the first time. Has unbelievable taste. Hop forward but doesn't kill you wih hops. Great citrus. Color. Head. Aroma is one of the best. Standout beer of 2014. Wishing I could have had earlier loved loved loved it. Must have

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Orange-amber color and cloudy. Small head but it leaves some thick streaks of lace. (4/5)

Powerful, floral hop aroma. This has a strong grapefruit and alcohol to the nose. Spicy and inviting. (4.5/5)

Starts with a decent malt base and the hop that comes in the swallow isn't altogether surprising, but its strength is far stronger than I expected. Very warming to the throat. Long bitter aftertaste. Neutral body with an above average carbonation. 4.25 3.75 4.25

To put it simple this beer is a 5/5 till it warms up. The high ABV is more dominant once the beer warms so it is best enjoyed cold. Once it warms up it becomes a 4.75/5. This is still an amazing beer to try. This company continues to produce quality beverages.

I love this beer! There are only a handful of great IPA ' that I have had the pleasure of drinking, and this is one of them. Rich color and gorgeous head. A powerful aroma and a great finish. Even with the big APV, it doesn't have an overwhelming alcohol feel

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Two month old bottle. Tasted a bit ripe. Probably much better if it was more fresh.

4.66/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge beer, just outstanding. The smell is absolutely incredible!

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

A bit over the top, but can be appreciated. Full throttle American ipa at its best/worst.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

I normally would break this beer down, but this time, it broke me. It has it all. Color, aroma, mouthfell, flavor, complexity...I have enjoyed a lot of beers, this was one to savor, it has it all. A hop bomb with the perfect malt balance. Every sip was outstanding, and more enjoyable than the last. One the most enjoyable beers I have had, and I want another. I enjoy Stone offerings, cannot tell you how much I appreciated this one. Definitely top 5, maybe top 3. Get it, you will love it, if not send it to me.......

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Just bought a case of this and i couldn't be happier. orange/gold color. a sweet, floral citrus smell as soon as i opened the bottle. Tastes very hoppy with a good malt back bone. good bitter finish. overall a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a container of melted sand. About 1 month old.

A - Golden honey, not much head. Pretty clear, I like to see some haze in my beers.

S - Big floral and citrus notes. Honey vanilla, lavender, sugarplum, caramel.

T - Bitter toasted sugar, lemon, alfalfa, hints of candy like butterscotch & caramel, flower nectar, unicorn blanket, vanilla, oats, ethanol.

M - Could use a touch more carbonation.

O - A very good DIPA. I think I like the regular Ruination better.

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Went over to a friends house one night.There where four of us and we went to costco and much to my pleasant surprise was a four pack of stone brews.The regular ipa,ruination,arrogant bastard and the ruin 10.They let me have the Ruin 10 because it was the only one i had not tried.What a great brew.I have to say I like Ruination alittle better but this is no slouch.With a ABV of 10.80 in a 22oz Bomber it got the job done.Very nice Hoppy flavor with a nice smell.If you are lucky enough to find those four packs grab 2 before they run out.You just can`t go wrong with Stone and this is no exception.Keep on Rockin the better beers.Motley Drunk out.

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. 2014 release.

Orange gold in color, significantly hazed, with slow head formation. Looks unsurprisingly syrupy. Super citrusy and sweet aroma, like candied orange peel. Flavor matches it, with a lot of citrus up front, developing into a little bit of an unmalted grain bitterness as it moves towards the back of the tongue. Orange rolls, grapefruit pith. Ethanol burn (some).

I remember the first time I tried (the original) Ruination, I thought it was an unbalanced mess of hops and not at all enjoyable. (though based on the BA reviews there are a lot of people who think otherwise) The flavors here are very clear and concise. The result is a pretty impressive brew, though to call it more balanced might be a joke.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Hazy amber color when cold; crystal clear when warm. Awesome lacing.

S- Hops. I wasn't expecting that... ~wink. Grapefruit, orange, dank, pine, floral, and cracker-like breadiness.

T- Quick burst of sweet citrus and malts up front that is almost immediately assaulted by bitterness. Grapefruit, pine, resin, citrus rind, and other bitter hop characteristics take the lead, but tropical flavors like mango and pineapple float underneath. There's almost a tartness in there as well. Finish is dry with a spicy aftertaste.

M- Thick, smooth, and resinous. Oily on the tongue and drying. Spiciness lingers.

O- First of all, Ruination is one of my favorite beers on Earth. I know Ruin Ten came out exactly as the people at Stone intended. I know they're more man than me and that I am not worthy. I loved the look, smell, and feel, but the overall flavor was just too bitter for me. Each flavor was huge and the quality was evident, but the balance was tilted far too heavily in favor of the bitterness for my poor palate. And again, I'm sure that was the point.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a murky copper with solid carbonation rising from the depths. Smells fantastic! Sweet pine all the way. Taste was strong pine / floral with heavily crisp after taste. Coats your whole mouth and leaves a dry oasis after each sip. Alcohol is moderately present in this DIPA. Reminiscent of Anderson Valley Heelch O' Hops. A big favorite for a lot of beer drinkers out there but a little much for me. Worth the price of admission but won't get my hand stamped on the way out...

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.