Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a golden sun color with a thick off white head, great retention, nice lacing.

Big citrusy/tropical fruit punch quickly overshadowed by resinous pine. A slight biscuity malt note in the background.

Big raw resinous pine dominates popping with some tropical fruit - mango. Finishes dry and bitter with the ghost of malt backbone disappearing into the back of your throat. A tasty brew with lots of flavor. It is a bit intimidating, a sipper, but good.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Enjoyed at Bier Station in Kansas City--leftover from an "IPA Day" tap takeover. Poured into a small Belgian-style tulip glass.

Appearance - Orange-amber body that is clean and clear. Head is slightly tan-colored and dissipates after a few minutes. Lacing is silky and fleeting, disappearing after settling on the glass for a moment.

Aroma - Strong, with grapefruit and floral hops. Some ether and other notes that hint at the high ABV level. Perhaps some pineapple-like acidity comes through as well.

Taste - The aroma was strong, but the flavor is even more aggressive, with more grapefruit and pineapple, and even some bitter greens complemented by a background characteristic of sweetness. There even seems to be a hint of medicinal quality, but not in an off-putting way.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, with light-to-moderate body and light carbonation. Some of the bitterness from the hops sticks in the back of your throat.

Overall, a tasty DIPA, but when it comes to Stone-made DIPAs, I'll take Enjoy By. This one is just too much from the hop profiles and not enough balance.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been waiting for this one. Ruination was one of the first real high IBU beer I had. I still love that beer. So, I was so excited to see this one. The pour had a sligthly golden amber red tint to it with a never ending white head.

Once opened and poured, the aroma brought me right back to my first time with Ruination..T:he typical grapefruit/citrus overtone was there, beautiful as ever. This 10th Ann version had a deeper amber color and more intense grapefruit/citrus bouquet than the standard Ruination.

When I was starting to have my first sip, my nose senses started to explode! There was grapefruit, lemons, peaches, limes, oranges dancing in my head. Almost to the point it was overwhelming and I should be putting the glass down.

BUT

The first sip took away a good amount of what my nose was trying to tell me.
Now I was getting bombarded with all the aromas and tastes from this beer and just about all the other flavours, tastes, aromas I've read about from different beers.

The first sip was a pleasure, almost as if there was a little sting on my tongue just to let me know what is coming. For one of the first time drinking quality beers, I actually felt that this beer was dry! Dry in the sense of some outstand California or French whites. Dry but at the same time eloquent.

This beer was full, bold and exploding at all aspects. All the various taste points in my mouth were touched by this beer. The aftertaste was long and lingering, and just begging you to have another sip.

Which I did and again.
Great job

07/24/14
Ok, my third experience with this beer. Each time I have been having it, it gets better and better. Nothing negative to report about this beer. In fact if anything, the praise gets better and better. Absolutely nothing negative to say about this beer, except the bottle empties way too soon.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light copper in color, wispy head that stays around, some lacing along the edges of the glass, spectacularly clear – 3.75, S: Amazingly hoppy nose – tons of pine and pink grapefruit, slight tartness and hint of bubblegum, heaven for a hop head - 4.75, T: Extremely bitter, lemon rind and pith, some syrupy caramel that has little chance of balancing the beer against all the hops, alcohol burn is evident and a little off-putting – 3.25, M: Quite creamy and medium bodied – 3.50, D: Enjoyable beer but a little lopsided in true Stone hop obsessed fashion, recommended for a drink – 3.50

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I saw that first box of RuinTen sitting right out in the open at the entrance to the liquor store, I stopped in my tracks and stood still in a mystefied stupor. It must have just been my imagination at work, fabricating the RuinTen label on what was actually just plain old Ruination... but it was no dream. The beer I was holding in my hand later that evening (at cellar temperature and poured into a snifter, of course), was none other. However, the experience I was soon to partake in would be UNREAL.

Ahem... An illuminescent honey orange color. Totally transparent, and with a fleeting one-finger white head. It looked good, but as of yet there were no indications of what was to follow...

As I put my nose up to the snifter, the ecstacy began. I met an explosion of tropical fruits - orange, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. And of COURSE, it smells like HOPS. As if one of Stone's DIPA's WOULDN'T smell hoppy... There is a sweet honey or caramel scent too.

The taste...? An atomic hop bomb. It's just so tremendously intense with hops that it almost feels acidic! Much like Ruination, it has a strong pine character, but it has a more malty finish that differs quite a bit from the CLEAN finish of Ruination. This finishes DIRTY. And I like it. As for other dimensions, it also tastes of resinous plant matter and has a burst of orange flavor. It's a perfect meld that provides something different from the aroma, but also compliments it PERFECTLY. I'm not tasting the 10.8% ABV at ALL, and the following I can say with with certainty: this is the absolute hoppiest beer I've ever had (and probably the bitterest). It is quite simply the epitome of hoppiness.

It has a thicker body than Ruination, the better to support its thicker hop flavor. Carbonated splendidly.

Why did they have to make it so delicious? It's so incredibly, amazingly good that I have trouble restraining myself from drinking it too fast. This is a dangerous high-ABV weapon to be used against lovers of hops like myself. It's the kind of beer I would see mirages of if I was lost in a desert and wandering deliriously across the dunes under a scorching sun. Thank goodness the ones I saw at the store were real. The best DIPA I've ever had? I think so, yes.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Polished copper-bronze in color with a decent white head forming. Foam persists for quite a while. Plenty of slow moving carbonation from the bottom. Some stickage to the glass.

S: Smells like a mix of every hop aroma I've encountered. Pine, citrus peel, fleshy fruits, a little earthiness. You can also smell the big maltiness needed for balance. Slight whiff of alcohol.

T: Resiny pine bitterness, grapefruit and peel, earthy bitterness. What starts out as a fair amount of alcohol, only increases in potency and warmth.

M: Pretty big body here. Not syrupy, but a little bit slick. High carbonation is odd with the big body and ABV, but doesn't really detract.

O: I was expecting a little more from this beer. This is a big, mean DIPA, but a tad boozy and just didn't blow me away overall.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into 10 oz. snifter.

A. Hazy amber hue. Semi-transparent ( I can see the outlines of my fingers through the glass). Nice thick white head that fades away slow.

S. Starting out well. Strong citrus fruit. Orange, mango, lemon/lime. Sugarcane. Sweet malty aroma.

T. Malty sweetness at first. Cactus. Orange peel. Hops take over almost immediately. Bitter chalkiness. Very bitter lingering aftertaste. A little hot, but that's to be expected with the ABV.

M. Centering between full and medium. Nice and foamy but not a mouthful. Finishes kind of rough with the bitterness and heat.

O. I didn't know what to expect from this. I had heard so many different opinions. I love the aroma and I like malty IPAs, which this is and that was a pleasant surprise. Bitter as hell if that's your thing. All in all, good not great. Glad I had it, but I'll seek out other easily obtainable brews in the same style.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.