Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros

SnowFlowMfg, Jun 28, 2013

pknyc, Jun 28, 2013

Lucnifter, Jun 28, 2013

Ristaccia, Jun 28, 2013
4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear as a bell amber,2 finger soapy white head,carbonation appears slight,lacing respectable.

Aroma is hop forward, but the dank oily type, not so much in the way of tropical nose.

Taste starts out sharply bitter, with the flavors of the grassy hops coating the palate in waves before subsiding. Slight grapefruit pith but mostly resinous acidic hops playing out here with some heat brining up the rear as the booziness becomes apparent in the throat.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly heavy for the appearance: this reminds me of F&W Double Jack which also has a solid "bite" to it with the aggressive hops and alcohol presence.

Overall, a strong-like-bull Imperial, but the highly acidic characteristics are a bit much here. Stone Enjoy By is a much more palatable IPA for those searching for tropical qualities, and a less acidic hop wallop.

Hendry, Jun 28, 2013

Altenor, Jun 28, 2013

rolltide8425, Jun 28, 2013

Joel12, Jun 28, 2013

TomTown, Jun 28, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -13%

MrNate, Jun 28, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Poured into a snifer from a 22oz bottle. Orange amber color and a small head and nice lacing.
S - Loaded with hops. Grapefruit , Citrus, Pine
T - Like the smell this is all hops. The taste is strong of grapefruit, Tropical fruit, Citrus, a little pine. Spicy. Good malt profile on the backbone to balance. A bitter biter for sure.
M - Medium body, a little creamy It takes over the palette. the ABV is defiantly noted.
O - This is one hop attack of an IPA and really enjoyable.

patpbr, Jun 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Sludgeman, Jun 28, 2013

tbryan5, Jun 28, 2013

dctriman, Jun 28, 2013

MPSTARR, Jun 28, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

22 oz. bottle, with best by date of 08/26/2013 printed on the side. Just got this beer in my area, and I'm excited to try it, since I missed out on it last year.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass for lack of a snifter.

A - Lightly aggressive pour yields two fingers of thick fluffy off-white head on top of a mostly clear coppery dark orange colored body. Thick rings of lacing on the way down.

S - Immediately upon uncapping this monster, the intense aroma of citrus grapefruit hops hit me in the face. Grapefruit, blood orange, citric acid. Smells pretty damn intense.

T - The taste is big and massive. Huge, crushing hops destroy the palate in just one sip. Grapefruit, blood orange, cracked pepper, pine. This thing is like the Hiroshima bomb confined to a bottle. Very intense spicy hop profile, peppery, & with plenty alcohol heat, but extremely high drinkability considering this beers high abv. Bit of soapiness in the finish.

M - Feel is of extremely bitter hops lingering on the palate, dry with some lingering alcohol warmth & spice.

Overall, I'm glad I managed to catch this beast this time around. Stone never fails to deliver a crushing hop annihilation, and this beer is definitely not the exception to that. Big aroma, big flavor, big bottle, big 10.80% abv. This beer is destined to doom me & my palate. A wonderfully tasty assault on the senses. A must have beer for all IPA lovers.

Stone RuinTen IPA ---4/5.

mfnmbvp, Jun 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

maxcoinage, Jun 28, 2013
4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle poured into a DFH signature glass. Drink by 9/5/13.

A - Pours a crystal clear, bright amber with just a half finger of pearl colored head. Good retention and the laser etching on the glass makes a nice oval pattern that sits on top the entire time. Lace paints the walls of the glass as I drink.

S - It has that familiar dank aroma that I have come to love in Stone's IPAs. Juicy citrus with a mellow caramel backbone. Reaks of juicy hops and tropical fruits. Smells like a hoppier, more assertive Ruination.

T - Immediately pungent and hoppy. Sweeter midpalate than I expected. The sweetness is shortlived as huge bitter hops hit on the back of the tongue. Persevering pine lingers on the first few sips, but the finish gets cleaner and cleaner as my palate acclimates to the hop assault. Tropical fruits and ripe grapefruit flavors strengthen as the beer warms.

M - A little bit spritzy off the bat, but smooths out with time. The alcohol doesn't go totally unnoticed, but not bad for a 10.8% bomb.

O - I missed out on the original 10th Anniversary, so I have been looking forward to this one since I heard it was returning. Stone is not bashful with the hops in their IPAs, and this is probably the hoppiest of the bunch. Pine and citrus exchange blows, but I think pine is the primary flavor I get. Sweet malts are not prominent, but they do make themselves known. This is a very good IPA, but I don't think it lived up to my expectations. If given the choice, I would take Enjoy By over this. This is probably one of the hoppiest beers I have ever tasted. I will probably seek this one out every year, but can't put it among my favorite few IPAs as I had hoped.

NoLeafClover44, Jun 28, 2013
3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip/snifter. Purchased in Attleboro, MA.

A- Pours a completely clear golden amber body with a 2 finger white head that reduces fairly slowly to some chunky foam. Leaves heavy lacing.

S- Pretty potent, the aroma hit me the second I cracked it open. Immediately I get big grapefruit-citrus and grassy, earthy aromas combined with pine and definitely caramel and toffee.

T- Wow, slightly different than I was expecting. I was expecting a hop-heavy, juicy, tropical blast, instead it's more on the piney, resinous, citrusy side. After the initial hop blast, I get big malt notes that are almost creamy, like vanilla cake frosting (weird, I know, but I'm definitely getting this). The finish is piney, bitter and astringent, and sticks on the tongue for a while. The hops seem to be all over the place in this one.

M- Medium carbonation with a pretty heavy body. Leaves a bitter taste for a while.

I wasn't exactly blown away by this beer given it's hype, but it was still a good drink. I could name many other DIPAs I'd rather be drinking, including "enjoy by" and the original ruination. The balance was a little off on this one, the hops kind of just punched you in the face instead of working together. Do try it though.

gcamparone, Jun 28, 2013
3.64/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Transparent golden, orange color with a thick, rich, egg-shell white head. Exceptional retention and forms mountains of lacing on the glass.

Sweet, tropical and spicy aroma. Mango and apricot mix with pine needles, garlic and white pepper. Somewhat unusual blend of aromas but they work fairly well together.

Dense malt character of rye bread. Aggressive honey sweetness. Hops attempt to balance with a spicy, herbal, garlic flavor. Hint of detergent in the finish. Flavors just don't harmonize that well together.

Full bodied feel, bordering on syrupy. Descent carbonation. Coarse texture turns sticky middle to end. Dry in the finish.

A good DIPA just not up to the standards that Stone usually delivers. Simply put, it lacks balance.

bnes09, Jun 28, 2013

jwps214, Jun 28, 2013

sansho, Jun 28, 2013
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.