Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Glass: Tired Hands Stemmed Glass.

Appearance: Orange, copper, slightly red. Mostly clear. 1/2 finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly.

Smell: Grapefruit first, followed by hop bitterness and, sadly, alcohol!

Taste: Extreme bitterness with alcohol very present. Grapefruit is found within at all times.

Mouthfeeel: Medium body with medium-high carbonation. A bit too carbonated for me, and the body was a bit thick. Sometimes I like this oily character of a strong IPA, but this one just isn't working for me. It seems a bit too syrupy.

Overall: I had high hopes for this one, but overall my biggest complaint is that the alcohol smell and taste is too prevalent for me. Bummed! Good, but not great.

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark, golden amber color... There's some fruit and pine on the nose, very hoppy, but a hint of spice that makes it unique.

Flavor wise, its hoppy and fruity, almost on the sweet side for an IPA. It's certainly not as bright and over-the-top, but it has a pleasant kick to it. It's the spice that I can't put my finger on that makes it interesting. The finish is heavy, and ends with that same note of spicy hops.

Overall, it's a great meal replacement. If RuinTen truly is a single-time offering from Stone - I'll be sad when it's gone. While it's not a ground-breaking IPA, it's a intriguing alternative to my usual rotation.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Stone snifter glass.

Appearance: Transparent slightly dark amber color. Light bubbles on the body that created a thin white head rising to about 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light hops with a dose of pineyness to it that hits you like a knucklball. Could be more potent but very nice to inhale.

Taste: The smell could use some tweaking but the taste more than makes up for it. A serious citrus overload, Hoppy like a motherf'er and the grapefruit feel is something you won't forget. A sweet bitterness creation that is f'n awesome. The one thing I wish it was more complex, just a little. I think it will satisfy most fans.

Mouth: Medium and ever so sticky. You think the hops are stuck to you palate after placing the glass down.

Overall: I really like this beer, more than the original is really depending on my mood. It's extremely tasty it lacks some other aspects but overall a very good beer. There are some comparisons and definitely an incredible substitute to Enjoy By. When you have one you will understand. Salud!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Dark amber color, dark golden, very reminiscent of a setting sunset.

Smell - HOPS, HOPS, and HOPS! Fruity, a touch of spice

Taste - Pleasantly hoppy, fruity, biscuit, and a spice finish

Mouthful - Medium semi heavy body, with a great lasting finish. I can taste it in between sittings.

Overall - Very good IPA, everything combined makes for a great beer. Like other reviews state, I can't get paste one of these without feeling full; however, the overall characteristics of the beer definitely allow you to enjoy it.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Deep clear orange body with starkly contrasting white head. Moderate spotty lacing.

I love the nose on it. Papaya, orange juice, peach tea. A touch of grass, a little biscuit. Fresh.

Equally impressive flavors. Heavy on the tropicals and bitter. The biscuit malt is enough to hold it together but is completely hop dominated. True to ruination form it destroys my palate. Slightly spicy fusel finish.

Mouthfeel is full, soft, and clean.

I really dig this beer and honestly, is exactly what I like about a high abv DIPA. Bravo.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance-Murky dark amber color with an off white, almost gray foam.

Smell-Powerful smell leaps out of the glass. I can smell a good part of the aroma with the glass sittin on the bar a foot away from me. Cream, Cherries, citrus, grass and hop flowers.

Taste-Baking spice gives way to bitter dark citrus.

Mouthfeel-Heavy full body with a long finish.

Overall-Good beer with the aroma being my favorite part. Like a lot of the Stone's there isn't any way to drink more than one before getting completely full.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.