Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me stat off by saying that this beer is not balanced and doesn't really fit the typical double IPA mold. That being said if you love resinous, oily, funky hop flavor you will love this beer.

A- Not alot in the way of head but retains it well, copper in color, viscous and sticky lacing.

S- Crazy, overwhelming dank fresh hop smell, after sipping for a while you can begin to smell other hop character, citrus rinds, herbal, tangerine, spice.

T- First few sips explode with a mish mash of resinous oily hops, malt only plays a small role of sweetness, alcohol warms the palate but not as much as expected for high ABV. As you continue to drink and the beer warms more of the hop flavor become distinguishable, grapefruit, citrus, piney, peppery, melon.

M- Big, sticky, juicy. Light carbonation.

0- I loved this one. Over the top hop bomb, a must try for IPA lovers.

IPA1978, Jun 29, 2013

Buck6196, Jun 29, 2013

Orlando, Jun 29, 2013

mjweth2, Jun 29, 2013
4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured in Pint Mug

Appearance: light red, amber with a thick heavy off-white head. Looks highly carbonated.

Aroma: I smell a huge hop presence in this one very piney and lemony.

Taste: This is truly a hop explosion to my palate. I can definitely taste the citrusy piney hop presence from the Citra Hops and the Centennial Hops and it is bittersweet. Piney and citrusy, a hint of lemon, It's pretty well balanced. Citrusy and piney towards the front of the palate, sweet in the middle from the malt presence, leaving it bitter and dry towards the end. I can't taste the alcohol at all. The hop presence is overpowering. I love it.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with moderate carbonated with a dry finish and sweetness.

Overall: This beer lives up to its expectation. This is my favorite Double IPA. I need to buy a case of this and a shirt! I wish this was offered regularly all year long enough said.

Tonmeister, Jun 29, 2013
3.76/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

bottle into tulip

appearance: golden orange with a subtle amber/ruby hue, 1 finger white head, some lacing

smell: pine heavy, citrus, some grapefruit, sweet malts, sugar, alcohol presence

taste: Very pine dominant, also with an earthy west coast sweet malt backbone, but it easily takes the back seat to the piney hop overload. I guess comparing it to normal Ruination, the alcohol obviously is a lot more pronounced. In my opinion, this is way too sweet, definitely on the sweeter side of the DIPA spectrum. The bitterness lingers and is very sharp and sweet. A little medicinal in the aftertaste. A little off balance, but that's the very obvious intention behind this hop bomb.

mouthfeel: average carbonation, thick syrupy body, more so than a Ruination

overall: Wow this beer got a lot of hype. Glad I picked up two of them, a very great beer for what it is, an extreme, huge hop bomb. Stone went all out on this, and it's pretty hard to rate this to style, it's sort of it's own unique thing. I think i may prefer Ruination to this, and by prefer I mean I could drink it more easily on a regular basis. This is something every hop head should seek out and try, but far from Stone's best beer. Glad I tried it, but I thought it could have been a little better. I would have liked more tropical, fruity, floral notes instead of straight pine and it seemed a little too sweet for my liking. However, it does do it's job, completely destroys your palate. I will drink my other one in a few days and possibly re edit my review.

Roman5150, Jun 29, 2013

2dogbrew, Jun 29, 2013
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.