Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Really pretty orange-yellow color with two or three fingers of white head. The lacing is beautiful and the retention is top notch. Bubbles lazily work there way to the top of the glass. Top notch IPA in terms of appearance.

S: I can't tell if I'm smelling an IPA or just straight hops. The amount of citra coming out of my glass is simply absurd. Pine, orange, other citrus, resins, and oh did I mention it smelled like hops? Slight booze underneath, yet zero malts.

T: The taste keeps this trend of amazing hops going. Just an assault on the palate that does justice to the Ruination name. Some of the most pine I have ever tasted in an IPA. Big citrus notes, resins, and some booze. If you aren't ready to be destroyed by hops you might not enjoy this, but I sure did.

MF: Great level of carbonation paired with a light body. The bitter hop aftertaste lasts well after I enjoyed my last sips. I think it's very drinkable, and considering I drank this whole 22oz 10% ABV beer at the dinner table I'd say it passes the test.

O: I don't think I need to reiterate how impressed I was by this beer. I can't remember exactly what this cost, but I know it was less than $10 which is seriously a great deal. Don't let this pass you by.

russwbeck, Aug 22, 2012

MidtowneMarket, Aug 22, 2012

sideshowe, Aug 21, 2012

EyePeeAyBryan, Aug 20, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle, poured into a snifter

The body sits a golden orange with a huge, fluffy ecru cap. The cap rose 3-4 fingers and receded in raindrop fashion. Sticky, spider web lacing.

Bright orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pine resin, pineapple aroma leaps out of the glass. Some spicy earth as well. Toasted light caramel malt back bone.

An oily, resiny flavor profile. Sweet tropical fruits with tons of orange. Some spicy earth, almost rye notes underneath. Big, full hop profile with a sturdy, yet light malt bill.

Oily, resiny, chewy hops. Medium feel with mild carbonation. Finish is a moderate bitterness at first, but builds with each sip.

This beer is welcome in my glass anytime. An enamel ripper of a DIPA.

ColForbinBC, Aug 20, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

amedelman, Aug 20, 2012
4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this given to me from TinCup69 purely as a kind gesture on his part, thanks so much Scott! Best by date of 8/23/12.

Poured from a 22 once bottle into a pint glass.

A: A medium hazy orange color with a one finger white head. Not much glass lacing. It's just a rich looking beer.

S: Massive citrus smells with grapefruit and orange. You can definitely smell the dry hopping. Some herbal and pine notes with a rich caramel sweet smell. Alcohol is definitely detected.

T: Citrus flavors are dominant with the grapefruit and orange flavors. The massive hops are pricky and resinous with nice bitterness but then there is this huge sweetness that actually reminds me of candy alcohol. The booze comes out with the sweet all the while the bitterness lingers. Finish stays bitter and alcoholic and actually dries out from the sweet. Massive beer.

M: Full, coating, prickly, resinous, alcoholic, lasting, bitter!

O: Take Ruination and turn it up a few notches. This beer is just massive in both hops and malt and it works perfectly. I think regular Ruination is more enjoyable simply because it's easier to drink, but no doubt this beer is more complex.

A great way to celebrate the 10th birthday of Ruination. A massive beer with massive hops the signature of Stone. Well done.

Kadonny, Aug 20, 2012

ObiWanKushnobi, Aug 19, 2012

rippedflesh89, Aug 19, 2012

FrancisT, Aug 19, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -3%

22oz. bomber poured into a Belgian tulip

A: Pours light apricot in color. Slight bit of chill haze. Clears up nicely. First pour had little bright white head, but very sticky lacing.

S: Very assertive, bright citrus nose. Pine, lemon, grapefruit. Progresses to some sweeter notes, a little tangerine perhaps on the back end.

T: Aggressive, sharp hop tartness on the tongue. Aggressive might not be a strong enough word. A little sting even in cheeks here. Hop favlor initially dominated by the pine much more so than in the aroma. Citrus elements seem to get muddled. It does mellow a bit as it warms up to let some of the more subtle elements come out, but not a ton. Very light sweetness creeps in behind the hop onslaught, abruptly chased by a drying alcohol astringency. Really dries out and leaves a long lingering bitterness on the palate.

M: Interesting. Shows only the faintest bit of heft for a beer of nearly 11%. Pretty highly attenuated, which contributes to the tongue-stripping dryness. It does make you want to keep drinking, if for no other reason than to keep lubricated.

O: I really wanted to love this. But in the end, it is really just "really good" and not "excellent". It's certainly in the Ruination camp of DIPAs in that it makes little to no effort to achieve balance of malt backbone. It is worth the experience but not the greatness example I'd say. Fits into Stone's character and story perfectly though.

Braseltonage, Aug 19, 2012

hopluva1, Aug 19, 2012

hpthebull, Aug 19, 2012

nrombes, Aug 19, 2012

pentasyllabic, Aug 19, 2012
4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Opened it up, poured it in a glass(nice look), put my nose to it and BOOM, this huge blast of citrus just invaded my nostrils and blasted my senses like a shotgun. Had to taste it. Wow soooo strong(10.8 alc vol.) damn that has a lot of flavor. very much a pineapple and grapefruit and some flavor i couldnt get my finger on. definitely not a beer that i felt like shooting down quick, in fact it took me some time to finish because of how darn strong it was but i enjoyed it, left a nice taste in my mouth.

Patrick2012, Aug 19, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

Orange with an off-white head that sticks around for a bit. Smells of pine and citrus. Enticing. Tastes very much of citrus and pine. Very powerful. Nice bitter hop flavor. Big grapefruit flavor. Medium full mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Great IPA, but a touch boozy..

Danny1217, Aug 19, 2012

spoonhawk, Aug 19, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours a murky apricot color with just under 1 fingers width of slightly off white head, which takes a fair amount of time to dissipate down.  Leaves a mild degree of spotty lacing.

S: Huge citrus hop aromas with tons of pineapple and orange, along with lots of malty sweetness. Some dank hop aromas as it warms but  I would have appreciated more piney, resinous, dank hop characters.  These  DIPAs brewed with citra hops tend to come off  overly sweet  and unbalanced in my opinion.

T: The flavor is a different story.   Better balance on the tongue, with tons of bitterness to balance out the sweetness.  Still has some citrus characters, but the bitterness is huge! I love it.  Citrus upfront, with a palate wrecking bitterness on the finish.  I get lemon zest, grapefruit, pine, some boozy alcohol.   Im impressed by the bitterness here for two reasons.  One (and I may be speaking blasphemy  here) but from what I remember I didn't find the original Ruination to be as palate wrecking as advertised, and two it seems like most DIPAs Ive had recently have migrated towards the malty side of the spectrum.  This is a nice, bitter, change.  Very tasty beer here.

M/D: Clean mouthfeel, not sticky at all, medium bodied with a big drying character. Even with a modest carbonation it still has a big biting quality to it due to the bitterness.  Drinkability remains surprisingly high and the huge ABV is kept in check very well.

O: Overall, a really well done brew that I thoroughly enjoyed.  There are a lot of great DIPAs out there, and I can't consider it amongst the best.  But its certainly a very well done beer that I recommend to any hophead.  Stone consistently produces top notch beers, and for my money their selection of hoppy beers can rival anyones.

zac16125, Aug 19, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -42%

BeezNeezy22D, Aug 19, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Japple, Aug 19, 2012

Crawfordesquire, Aug 18, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

So I decide to compare a regular ruination to the ten year anniversary.

Let's start with the pour.
Original is a warm amber orange in color beer. The ten is much dark orange and even foggier.
Like comparing apple juice to a cider. Later on I noticed that the regular ruination kept a head longer then the 10th anniversary.

Smell
Both have a very distinct grapefruit and herbal aroma
The ten yr has a lot more citrus. Like lemon and orange.

Taste
Original is very bitter and sharp with a clean finish.
The ten yr is not as bitter. Dont get me wrong, it is still bitter but it seems to have flavors similar to an oaked ale with the citrusNess of ruination.

Overall
If you enjoy the regular ruination then I feel that you will like this one.

inandon, Aug 18, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Can the 10th be better than the original? Allow me to investigate.

A-The Tenth pours burnt orange with a pretty glow. A forceful pour births a thick, dense head that retains perfectly. Linked rings of lacing stain the glass. Body is quite clear.

S-Nose is absolutely loaded with unbelievably concentrated notes of grapefruit and pine. Caramel malt is also very hefty. Such a heavy nose. Balanced; more so than I expected. More resinous than the original Ruination but less bright and fruity. Booze masked perfectly.

T-A hop haymaker. Like a grapefruit in a pine-woven jacket. More tropical than the nose. Exotic fruits and plenty of hop resin. Malt is rich. Lots of caramel, but the other aspects of the malt are hard to define because the hops are resoundingly muscular. Booze is still masked beautifully but it does warm up the throat and cheeks. This is a giant of a DIPA.

M-Resinous! Full bodied. Bitter and dry and bitter and dry and BITTER… Those hops coat the tongue and even rise from the dead when I burp. Palate is coated in hop oil. Sticky with spritzy carbonation.

O/D-Stone did the 10th very well. It is truly is hard to say which Ruination I prefer. The original is a bit more exotic in flavor while the Anniversary is somehow even more brash and brazen. Both are incredible. Damn, now I need to go get a bottle of the original Ruination to compare. An absolute success with the 10th.

VelvetExtract, Aug 17, 2012
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.