Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -13%

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz Bottle into a tulip glass
Best By 09/11/13
Tasted 06/23/13

A – Pours a bright clear copper color. Head is vigorous and poured over, unexpectedly so. Once it recedes it leaves a nice thin cream colored cap on top of the bright copper liquid below.

S – Woah Stone, aggressive, bitter, juicy, piney, melon, grapefruit. Sheesh! A lot going on here, but what really smacks you is the bright grapefruit and melon notes. Delicious. IDGAF about whatever malt notes may be here, just bring on the hops!

T – Very nice, a clean and sweet entry leads to a bitter and crisp encore. Notes of melon, bright lemon, and grapefruit here. This is quite bitter and makes you pucker up to a certain extent, like biting into a lemon or a grapefruit. Some notes of pine also make a foray. Complex, but tends toward the sweet and sticky side of the spectrum for this style.

M – Drinkability is high on this one, for being a DIPA this goes down way too smooth. It has a nice, long, lingering finish, that is quite dry and bitter. This is very nice and easy drinking. Lots of flavors still develop on the finish.

O – Was wonderful last year, and is great again this year, this is similar to Enjoy By, for sure, but this one is sweeter, and lacks the peppery notes found in the Enjoy By. Wonderful beer here again Stone, thank you for pumping out ridiculously delicious and easily attainable IPA's.

2.51/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

10.8% confirmed. Bottle acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop on Saturday. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and posh etched label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are actually high even though I despise Stone; I've heard some pretty good things about this one.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and great retention (~7+ minutes) for the high ABV. Frothy, silky, and appealing. Body colour is a surprisingly hazy murky orange-copper. Tangerine orange, if you will. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Carbonation bubbles are visible in usual quantities; carbonation seems fine. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. I'm actually fairly impressed with the appearance, though the lack of clarity and translucence has taken me off-guard.

Sm: Hop character is generic floral with light grapefruit, some nectary notes, and some pine. But what catches my attention is not the hops; it's the overdone milky sweetness. Nectary and sticky and too prominent for the style. They definitely doubled the malt to compensate for the hops, but I don't know that they did it well judging by the aroma. I don't detect any yeasty notes or alcohol. A messy aroma of moderate strength. The emphasis is in the wrong place and there doesn't seem to be any balance - but hey, it's Stone.

T: Some wretched grapefruit with an overly sweet malty foundation that really destroys all balance - especially in the third act, where I'm left with a milky rotted tangerine character that lingers off the finish. Blech. Some nice juicy citrus up front, but it's quickly destroyed by the poor malt build. I don't know which pale malts they selected, but they're not doing it for me here. Amarillo or columbus would have been much better hop choices. Hop character lacks diversity, depth of flavour, or evocative quality. Overdone caramel contributes to the third act nightmare. Butterscotch. Cream. It's like it becomes a crappy saison in the third act, but without the accompanying spice - just milkiness and caramel malt. Alcohol does come through, but it's well hidden for the most part - and besides, it's the least of the problems here. To be honest, the flavour isn't that bad in the opening act; the grapefruit is a bit more overt and the maltiness hasn't gone rogue yet. But the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is wretched. Another mess from Stone brewing. Pineapple hits on the climax. Maybe some clove? Who cares. It's complex without any balance or subtlety; any homebrewer can dump a bunch of ingredients in, but it takes a master to control them. This tastes like a homebrewer got control of some fancy toys.

Mf: Smooth. Wet. A bit creamy - a strange and out of place attribute for an Imperial IPA. Good carbonation - a highlight of this beer. Presence on the palate is poor; it overwhelms. I wouldn't say it ruins; it's just a mess dumped on your tongue.

Dr: Another mess from Stone that fails to impress. I wish I loved this like others do, but to me it's just more testament to the ineptitude of Stone's brewers. Why I keep buying their beer I don't know. I guess I keep hoping I'll come across one that's great. I definitely wouldn't get this again; more for all of you. I'll be sticking to Alpine's IPAs. To this beer's credit, the ABV doesn't come through as much as you'd expect; I'd peg it for about 8% if it were a blind taste. I wouldn't call it drinkable, but I won't have any trouble killing this bomber alone. Disappointed. I hope the Enjoy By waiting in my fridge is better.

Low C-

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.