Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,042 | Reviews: 748

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a dark-golden color with a thin white head. Smell is nice and citrus-hoppy, a lot like regular Ruination, but isn't overly impressive. Flavor is decent, but disappointing. It's certainly got a bruising hop flavor happening here, but it's quite malty and I'm getting a lot of booze on the back end, especially as it warms up. Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied and a little sticky. Overall, I was not super impressed with this beer. Admittedly, I think regular Ruination is a little overrated and I didn't like this as much as the regular one. This seemed to almost border on barleywine territory, and you could really tell that it was nearly 11%. Maybe it's because I spent all last weekend drinking Hill Farmstead beers in Vermont, maybe this beer's a little past its prime, but how this beer is in the Top 100 is beyond me. It's not bad, but it was not super impressive either.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Reviewed from notes

22oz bottle

A - Pours a golden copper with a two finger off white head. Head retention is very good and there is a decent amount of sticky lace to be had...

S - Caramel, piney hops, and citrus fruit. Hops are definitely present here, but sweet malt is front and center...

T - Grapefruit and mango up front with lots of piney hops in the mix. Caramel is present throughout, but is not up front like it is in the scent. This one rides the hop wave all the way through with a nice caramel backbone. Alcohol is very well hidden considering the abv. Very tatsy...

M - Sits on the higher end of the medium bodied scale with a lower amount of carbonation...

O - I thought this was going to be a straight hop bomb. I was presently surprised that this one is pretty well balanced and fairly easy to drink. Stone comes through with another very solid DIPA...

Cheers...

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Really pretty orange-yellow color with two or three fingers of white head. The lacing is beautiful and the retention is top notch. Bubbles lazily work there way to the top of the glass. Top notch IPA in terms of appearance.

S: I can't tell if I'm smelling an IPA or just straight hops. The amount of citra coming out of my glass is simply absurd. Pine, orange, other citrus, resins, and oh did I mention it smelled like hops? Slight booze underneath, yet zero malts.

T: The taste keeps this trend of amazing hops going. Just an assault on the palate that does justice to the Ruination name. Some of the most pine I have ever tasted in an IPA. Big citrus notes, resins, and some booze. If you aren't ready to be destroyed by hops you might not enjoy this, but I sure did.

MF: Great level of carbonation paired with a light body. The bitter hop aftertaste lasts well after I enjoyed my last sips. I think it's very drinkable, and considering I drank this whole 22oz 10% ABV beer at the dinner table I'd say it passes the test.

O: I don't think I need to reiterate how impressed I was by this beer. I can't remember exactly what this cost, but I know it was less than $10 which is seriously a great deal. Don't let this pass you by.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Rating for 2012 vintage of Ruinten

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle, poured into a snifter

The body sits a golden orange with a huge, fluffy ecru cap. The cap rose 3-4 fingers and receded in raindrop fashion. Sticky, spider web lacing.

Bright orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pine resin, pineapple aroma leaps out of the glass. Some spicy earth as well. Toasted light caramel malt back bone.

An oily, resiny flavor profile. Sweet tropical fruits with tons of orange. Some spicy earth, almost rye notes underneath. Big, full hop profile with a sturdy, yet light malt bill.

Oily, resiny, chewy hops. Medium feel with mild carbonation. Finish is a moderate bitterness at first, but builds with each sip.

This beer is welcome in my glass anytime. An enamel ripper of a DIPA.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this given to me from TinCup69 purely as a kind gesture on his part, thanks so much Scott! Best by date of 8/23/12.

Poured from a 22 once bottle into a pint glass.

A: A medium hazy orange color with a one finger white head. Not much glass lacing. It's just a rich looking beer.

S: Massive citrus smells with grapefruit and orange. You can definitely smell the dry hopping. Some herbal and pine notes with a rich caramel sweet smell. Alcohol is definitely detected.

T: Citrus flavors are dominant with the grapefruit and orange flavors. The massive hops are pricky and resinous with nice bitterness but then there is this huge sweetness that actually reminds me of candy alcohol. The booze comes out with the sweet all the while the bitterness lingers. Finish stays bitter and alcoholic and actually dries out from the sweet. Massive beer.

M: Full, coating, prickly, resinous, alcoholic, lasting, bitter!

O: Take Ruination and turn it up a few notches. This beer is just massive in both hops and malt and it works perfectly. I think regular Ruination is more enjoyable simply because it's easier to drink, but no doubt this beer is more complex.

A great way to celebrate the 10th birthday of Ruination. A massive beer with massive hops the signature of Stone. Well done.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.