Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,043 | Reviews: 748
4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I saw that first box of RuinTen sitting right out in the open at the entrance to the liquor store, I stopped in my tracks and stood still in a mystefied stupor. It must have just been my imagination at work, fabricating the RuinTen label on what was actually just plain old Ruination... but it was no dream. The beer I was holding in my hand later that evening (at cellar temperature and poured into a snifter, of course), was none other. However, the experience I was soon to partake in would be UNREAL.

Ahem... An illuminescent honey orange color. Totally transparent, and with a fleeting one-finger white head. It looked good, but as of yet there were no indications of what was to follow...

As I put my nose up to the snifter, the ecstacy began. I met an explosion of tropical fruits - orange, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. And of COURSE, it smells like HOPS. As if one of Stone's DIPA's WOULDN'T smell hoppy... There is a sweet honey or caramel scent too.

The taste...? An atomic hop bomb. It's just so tremendously intense with hops that it almost feels acidic! Much like Ruination, it has a strong pine character, but it has a more malty finish that differs quite a bit from the CLEAN finish of Ruination. This finishes DIRTY. And I like it. As for other dimensions, it also tastes of resinous plant matter and has a burst of orange flavor. It's a perfect meld that provides something different from the aroma, but also compliments it PERFECTLY. I'm not tasting the 10.8% ABV at ALL, and the following I can say with with certainty: this is the absolute hoppiest beer I've ever had (and probably the bitterest). It is quite simply the epitome of hoppiness.

It has a thicker body than Ruination, the better to support its thicker hop flavor. Carbonated splendidly.

Why did they have to make it so delicious? It's so incredibly, amazingly good that I have trouble restraining myself from drinking it too fast. This is a dangerous high-ABV weapon to be used against lovers of hops like myself. It's the kind of beer I would see mirages of if I was lost in a desert and wandering deliriously across the dunes under a scorching sun. Thank goodness the ones I saw at the store were real. The best DIPA I've ever had? I think so, yes.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - A deep orange/amber with a thick, creamy head.

S - Tropical fruits, sweet citrus/grapefruit, slightly piney/resiny. Awesome.

T - Strong grapefruit and pine with a nice malty, hoppy, bitter finish. The grapefruit lingers as well.

M - Super smooth, medium body. Goes down nicely.

O - Fantastic. A big, bold but superbly balanced DIPA. I'm gonna say it: just as good as Heady Topper.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Trying for the first time. Has unbelievable taste. Hop forward but doesn't kill you wih hops. Great citrus. Color. Head. Aroma is one of the best. Standout beer of 2014. Wishing I could have had earlier loved loved loved it. Must have

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Purchased 2 bottles of this and couldn't help but drink both in one evening.

A - Cloudy amber in color with a bright white head that shrunk and left just a small line of suds. The lacing is very nice and attractive.

S - Fresh hops along with fresh tropical fruits. I get some grapefruit, passion fruit and pineapple.

T - Very nice bitter hoppiness that is balanced out by a sweet and subtle malt backbone along with the tropical hop flavors. You can taste the alcohol a bit but not much to be honest. For 10.8 percent this is well done.

M - Syrupy yet smooth and a bit oily. As some might say a bit chewy but easy to drink.

O - I am very impressed and actually like this one better than the regular Ruination. I saw some reviews that said this was too malty but I don't get that at all. This to me is a spot on example of a great west coast DIPA. Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Light, clear orange with blonde highlights when backlit and a creamy ivory cap that leaves sheets of sticky lace on the glass. The aroma is amazing, caramel slathered toast, pine sap and grapefruit zest all harmoniously working together to enhance the flavors of the hops and malt. Sticky pine tar, slight alcoholic heat and candied grapefruit peel with sticky caramel and a resinous, salty hop bitterness in the finish. Hop oily mouthfeel with mild carbonation. A big tasty hop bomb. Buy this beer, it is fantastic.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Looked amber like Jurassic park fossil things in the movie

S-Smells good

T- Like an amazing thick resiny sack of delicious amazing bitter yet also sweet piney goodness malts

M- So much thicker than my normal IPAs definitely well carbonated

I really really enjoy this IPA

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 6/19/2014. Review Date: 7/5/2014.

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear copper color with two fingers worth of an orange/white head. Good lacing retention, head recedes to a thin layer. Moderate level of carbonation.

Smell: Intense citrus and pine aromas. Grapefruit and orange peel. A bit of a tropical fruit sweetness (pineapple) as well. Dank, earthy characters among a floral quality. A slightly sweet malty aroma on the finish blends well with the initial hop quality. Fantastic smelling IPA.

Taste: Massive bitterness. Pine/earthy hops fade into the citrus fruit flavors. A bit of a tropical/stone fruit sweetness underlies the initial burst of bitterness. Hints of the malt backbone poke out along the tongue. Finish is bitter until cut by a slight sweetness, like a lightly sugared piece of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium body to this one. Strong bitterness prevails along the tongue, lingering, tingling and numbing the senses and aftertaste. No alcohol presence.

Overall: Simply a massive IPA. Excellent to drink if you enjoy putting your tongue through the rigors. Great stuff, and the fresher you can get it, the better. Should be available if you can get Stone beers in your area, and at $7.99 per bomber (locally), it's worth giving the mouth some exercise. Would highly recommend.

22oz bottle into a couple of russian river goblets

Pours a delightful honey golden color with a bubbly eggshell white head.

Heavy pine and citrus smell that awakens your nose. Blends into a sweet honey and lemon

Goes in with a lot of might. Heavy earthy taste slowly turbs into a wonderfully hoppy bitterness. Finishes with just a tinge of sweetness

Not too overbearing. Definitely a treat to be savored

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, best by 9/12/13. Pours a bright yellow orange, with a beautiful one head, amazing retention and coats the glass with lace. Smell is huge pine, mango, tangerine, apricot, and grapefruit. Taste is all of that and punches you in the face with grapefruit in finish and lingers on the tongue. Body is large, plenty of life, a bit dry like its son, and very approachable for its heft. This isn't for everyone, but I love this beer! All self proclaimed hop head must try.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dark rust orange in color, looks menacing, but delicious!

Smells strongly of citrus and a wonderful burn of hops.

Flavors of orange, grapefruit, and piney hops explode at first contact, delightful.

Straight hop bomb.

Definitely in my top 10, but they never do disappoint so my list is pretty long!

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 5 East Unearthly West RuinTEN

Overall it came down to personal preferance which to me I enjoyed unearthly a little bit better... stone was a cleaner nice hoppyness and bitterness with a sweet malt back to it.. it was absolutely glorious... I will definitely be buying it again next year. RuinTEN placed 6th out of ten spots.

Original review 4.8

Bottle said: enjoy by 9/12/13 drinking on 7/2/13... that's about right...
Drink hoppy beers as fresh as you can... reject old ones.

Poured into Sniffer glass...

Niiice 1 1/2 finger bone white head..super thick... lacing just stayed on the glass like it was glue... did not move... super clear amber reddish hue that was crystal clear with bubbles dancing to the top. The best looking dipa I've seen yet.

Smell was on the okay side, more hop forward than citrusy but overall a great smell.

Taste was out of this world like all of stones IPA's... very hoppy bite at first that absolutely takes over everything... slight citrus but mostly hop oriented tastes. Alcohol is more prevalent in the taste than any other stone ipa I've had but I like it.... nothing annoying or overpowering but it's there.

Completely smooth crisp ending with hop smack all over the aftertaste...

Overall a phenomenal IPA but I'd give a slight nod to the enjoy by ipa from stone... very slight... still liked it better then the reunition one.. a definite must try

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a clear reddish amber.

The aroma is beautifully fruit forward of ripe peaches, mango, sweet caramel candy along with an underlying dank, pungent garlicky, spicy pine quality.

The front attacks of fresh green herbals and bitter vegetal qualities, almost like endive. Hints of sweet citrus and tropical. Very clean without much of a malt body or sweetness. A spicy, floral, and pine driven back end of bitterness. A bit of that dank and onion quality. No sense of the alcohol, but with decent warming as it goes down.

Easily one of the best “triple” IPAs out there and quite possibly the best hoppy beers accessible on the shelves.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoyed a bomber of this at The Neighborhood in San Diego a week ago. Review from notes.

Pours a glowing amber red with a persistent eggshell head. Scads of lace drape the glass. The aroma is strongly grapefruity with lots of tropical fruit and pine notes as well. Malts are pretty much AWOL in the nose. The taste follows suit with a massive wall of mouthcoating pine tar hops. Tropical fruit notes and white grapefruit skin show as well, as does some aspiriny bitterness. The malt profile is restrained, but adds a lot of complexity. Its doughy and bready. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation and plenty of pucker from all the bitterness. The finish lasts forever and is very bitter. Alcohol heat is fleeting, impressively well hidden.

This beer doesn't dissapoint, even though its not the freshest of the fresh at this point. Massive hops, balanced with just enough malts. Hopheads need to try this.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Rating for 2012 vintage of Ruinten

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Hop explosion is a description I'll reuse here as it works! Pours a beautiful deep golden color that is mostly clear - surprising at this strength... but it looks hearty! A moment after removing the cap the intense amount of hops used to brew this beer found my nose a couple feet away within seconds. Needless to say the aroma at closer inspection for fans of hops is nothing short of amazing - fruity, floral, piney. I love hoppy beers but often save them for later in the session. Not so here with this rarity to find on the east coast. I'm enjoying each and every sip. Initially fridge cold this beer tingled the back of my throat and as the beer warms a bit more alcohol is detectable. Awesome beer!!

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serve by me...at home...out of a Bomber in a Dogfish Head IPA glass. Got this bottle back in early July 2012....aged it in near cellar conditions. ( cool corner of my closet)

Appearance: Pours a mid to dark amber color with a white, thick frothy head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: strong aged malt characteristics. Strong citrus and gentle pine nose. Some booziness. Still a decent hop nose after almost 8 months.

Taste: aged malt for sure. Very light caramel and I suspect some biscuit malt maybe...would explain the fantastic head. This is what I want a strong Imperial IPA..hell even a hoppy barleywine to taste.

Mouthfeel: the slightest of a chew...like a Barleywine almost...very noticeable booze bite and still a decent hop finish...they must of used a lot of citras.(IMO) Balance comes to mind.

Overall: a great beer. I'm surprised it aged this well in less than 8 months...I'd expect these characteristics from a year+ old Hog Heaven or Hopsickle...reminds me of the two year old 120 I had last year.(less boozy of course)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Ruination cranked up to a ten, sign me up. The pour was typical IPA amber, body clear, carbonation gentle, and the head spare. The smell was loaded with grapefruit and was so intoxicating, it made me hold it up to my nose for several seconds at a time. The taste was beyond perfect in the hop assault, as the grapefruit was concentrated into a strong tonic. In addition to the citrus fruit, I could also sense flavors of butterscotch, pineapple, and strawberry. The body was dense, sticky, and oily, leaving a coating of hops in place of the original mucous that had been stripped off my tongue. The finish was spicy and boozy. I got this at Green's just a month from bottled on date, and it was oh so splendidly fresh.

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%

Reviewing from the 2013 release.

Pours out a gorgeous amber hue with soft white lacing.

Smells of sweet baby back hops. Big, strong, and hoppy.

Taste offers tons of hops, sweetness, and bitterness right in your face. If you're a hop head, like me, this really hits the god damn spot and the 10.8% is hidden nicely. Just fantastic. Huge hops up front that flow to a smooth and bitter finish. Plenty or pine, resin, and some sweet citrus. Really enjoyable.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.